ADVERTISEMENT

DH Contract Extension?

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Allow me to toss some more fuel on the fire.. I realize this will sound ridiculous to many, but if DH is not fired by the end of the year, I believe the next best option may be to extend his contract another 1-2 years. Now, hear me out, as there are plenty of qualifiers to this...

It is rare now days to see a coach enter into his last couple years of a contract. The primary reason being recruiting. It is a competitive disadvantage to not be able to tell recruits you will be there all four years and have the contract to back it up. Lord knows Purdue has enough recruiting disadvantages already due to the staff and the state of the program.

Now, the next important point I am less clear about as I am not a contracts expert. However, the reality is DH does not have any bargaining power right now whatsoever. So, if ever there was a chance to extend a contract on the cheap, defer salary in exchange for additional years, incentivize salary, etc., this is it. Again, this is all assuming you don't fire the guy, which I believe should be option #1. If you work it right, get some smart contract lawyers involved, you should be able to restructure the contract for additional years while only being on the hook for comparable total guaranteed money.

Removing the lame duck label, along with the new practice facility project might just be enough to land a decent offensive coordinator this off season. And it might be enough to pull in a "next-to-last" Big Ten recruiting class instead of a dead last class littered with second rate JuCos. Is that enough to compete? Who knows. But at a minimum it is more for the next coach to work with if you end up firing DH after all.

While I would certainly rather see a new head coach roaming the sidelines next year, I could possibly get behind this plan if the AD is absolutely hard set on giving DH another year. Unfortunately this all would probably require another couple of wins this year to not be considered a total sham and to get any positive response in terms of ticket sales next year. Either that or DH would need to successfully make Shoop the public fall guy, which I'm not sure he is willing or able to do.

Ive said this 1000 times on here, but if they don't fire Hazell this is what will happen.

The best part about extending him is that you can basically rewrite his initial contract too. Burke did it with Hope and reduced his buyout in half. I would expect Burke to do the same with Hazell (so taking it down to $2.2mil from $4.4 after 2016) and we would be smart to do it if Hazell is willing to come to the table.

If not, then fire his ass, let him take the money and run. He'll never be a head coach anywhere else with the record he has put up here so if he's not willing to renegotiate he's obviously only about the money and not about turning this program around.

All of this said, Hazell should only be allowed to renegotiate if he gets rid off the dead weight on the staff AND is forced to hire an Air Raid or spread offense coordinator and ditch the grind out games philosophy he brought with him from the MAC and Ohio St. Bringing back Hazell and Shoop for a 4th year would set the program back even further IMO. I actually think Hazell could have won 4 or 5 games this year with this team had we had better QB development, scheming and playcalling. That falls on Shoop mostly.

Ive said this 1000 times on here, but if they don't fire Hazell this is what will happen.

The best part about extending him is that you can basically rewrite his initial contract too. Burke did it with Hope and reduced his buyout in half. I would expect Burke to do the same with Hazell (so taking it down to $2.2mil from $4.4 after 2016) and we would be smart to do it if Hazell is willing to come to the table.

If not, then fire his ass, let him take the money and run. He'll never be a head coach anywhere else with the record he has put up here so if he's not willing to renegotiate he's obviously only about the money and not about turning this program around.

All of this said, Hazell should only be allowed to renegotiate if he gets rid off the dead weight on the staff AND is forced to hire an Air Raid or spread offense coordinator and ditch the grind out games philosophy he brought with him from the MAC and Ohio St. Bringing back Hazell and Shoop for a 4th year would set the program back even further IMO. I actually think Hazell could have won 4 or 5 games this year with this team had we had better QB development, scheming and playcalling. That falls on Shoop mostly.
It does fall on Shoop, but DH stands by him.

If you're a recruit considering Purdue, is it really a benefit to know that DH will be there all 4 years? I'd think if a recruit was considering Purdue now, it would be for reasons like our academics, history of having potentially powerful passing attack, playing time on a major program, etc - all of these are despite the current coach.

Reactions: phillippankey
Recruits go to play for a coach as much or more than they go for a particular school. Coaches need 4 years on their contract.

Who the heck wants Hazell here another 4 years? The guy is terrible. Not sure why anyone would want to come play at Purdue right now.
People who like an engineering program, lack of entertainment, 3:2 male to female ratio, etc.

Seriously, the "State Street" project may help in recruiting as much as the $60 million building. The giant strip malls that greet prospective recruits on either end of campus do not do many favors. Especially with us trying to "compete in the middle" it would be nice for us to have a nice middle town, not an Ann Arbor or Columbus, but we could keep up with the Champaigns, Iowa Citys, etc. of the world.

Reactions: BandofBoilers
If you're a recruit considering Purdue, is it really a benefit to know that DH will be there all 4 years? I'd think if a recruit was considering Purdue now, it would be for reasons like our academics, history of having potentially powerful passing attack, playing time on a major program, etc - all of these are despite the current coach.

If I try to put myself in a recruit's shoes, I think what DH could sell me on, in addition to the academics, is a chance to play in the Big Ten... and on this team, a really good shot to start sooner than later. And with a 4-year contract, I might be more likely to believe that he will still be around in a couple years when I've paid my dues and done everything that he asked of me. I think the unknown would be less attractive than that.

Reactions: phila
If I try to put myself in a recruit's shoes, I think what DH could sell me on, in addition to the academics, is a chance to play in the Big Ten... and on this team, a really good shot to start sooner than later. And with a 4-year contract, I might be more likely to believe that he will still be around in a couple years when I've paid my dues and done everything that he asked of me. I think the unknown would be less attractive than that.
You might just be D.H. I don`t know but your thinking it`s out in left field. He can`t coach a Div.1 team at this level. Purdue needs a different head coach and staff. We are embarrassment to the big 10.I don`t want him to win anther game this year cause Burk might keep him for a 2-win season

If I try to put myself in a recruit's shoes, I'd think that DH won't turn this around in a year or two., Regardless what his contract says, he's going to get fired . Reducing his buyout in a contract extension is basically telling recruits, and more importantly, his family, that he's not going to be around in 4 years. The smart thing to do, is cut hazell lose after this year, take your loses, and hire a new coach. The '16 recruiting class won't get any worse regardless if hazell is coach or not. Bring in a new coach for the '16 season. The '17 recruits will have a new facility to look forward to, a new commitment to football, and hopefully a coach that can at least put them in a position to be successful. As far as a new coach, I would forget about the new "hot" MAC coach. Try to find a veteran coach, whether he's been fired before or not, like Al Golden,Bo Pelini,Skip Holtz and there's others. Let them build the foundation. This turnaround is going to take years...not months.

You might just be D.H. I don`t know but your thinking it`s out in left field. He can`t coach a Div.1 team at this level. Purdue needs a different head coach and staff. We are embarrassment to the big 10.I don`t want him to win anther game this year cause Burk might keep him for a 2-win season

It isnt absurd. We all know he has failed. We all know Purdue is balking at the buyout.

a token extension with a reduced buyout is not "out in left field"

Agreed (except being DH). In my rambling post you probably missed the part about Plan A being to replace the head coach. Actually, that's more like Plan A, B, and C. I just don't trust that Purdue will pay a coach $6M+ to not work.

People don't understand that just because a coach is extended, that the extension terms have to be guaranteed. Often times, an AD will use the extension to lessen a buyout. Burke did this with the last football coach while extending him.

People don't understand that just because a coach is extended, that the extension terms have to be guaranteed. Often times, an AD will use the extension to lessen a buyout. Burke did this with the last football coach while extending him.
Common practice for coaches that don't get fired.....but are on the hot seat.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
If DH is asking.Burke for an extension because he can't recruit then along with the firing of Shoop and a favorable buyout would be the ONLY way Purdue should consider it!

Reactions: RegionWarrior101

I rather play for a decent MAC team that wins a handful of games and maybe goes to a bowl game then come to Purdue and win one game a year.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

Why would DH want to renegotiate his buyout to secure an extension when he probably knows 2016 probably will be his last as a D-1 head coach. His recruiting is suspect along with his recruitment of quality assistant coaches. Shoop is a case in point.
DH's first recruiting class are juniors and look at the results!
MB should be fired immediately for this fiasco!

Reactions: Redhotfill
5 turn overs by Nebraska, Purdue wins a shoot out where defense for the most part was optional and after a 2 and 6 start, the Folks on this board want to extend the coaches contract… Brilliant…. TIC.
By the way watching the game, I was struck by how full the stands were for this game…. I've see more people at high school games. I don't mean to be all negative and such, but this I cannot imagine how anyone wants to extend this dudes contract other than to be politically correct.

5 turn overs by Nebraska, Purdue wins a shoot out where defense for the most part was optional and after a 2 and 6 start, the Folks on this board want to extend the coaches contract… Brilliant…. TIC.
By the way watching the game, I was struck by how full the stands were for this game…. I've see more people at high school games. I don't mean to be all negative and such, but this I cannot imagine how anyone wants to extend this dudes contract other than to be politically correct.

You extend it to reduce the buyout.

Force him to get new coordinators.

There are plenty of reasons to extend him and none of them have anything to do with what happened on Saturday.

You extend it to reduce the buyout.

Force him to get new coordinators.

There are plenty of reasons to extend him and none of them have anything to do with what happened on Saturday.
That only works IF he agrees to it…. and he wouldn't because he has to know what comes next.

That only works IF he agrees to it…. and he wouldn't because he has to know what comes next.
What, that he likely gets to be a P5 Head Coach next year?

Purdue isn't going to extend him to fire him immediately. THAT sends a bad message. While you would take the $$$ and run, Hazell is already a multi millionaire. He'd rather lose a few million to keep being the head coach.

This is 1000% false.

Shoop makes 500K a year. There are plenty of guys who would jump for that payday.

I think the kay part is "good" offensive coordinator.

Yes, you could get someone. But not many people will want to tie themselves to a sinking ship.

I think at this point, you have what you have. We are bad in every aspect of the game, so it's hard to justify saying one assistant is what's holding us down. And Hazell has had every option to change staff and he hasn't really made any changes in his 3 years, which I'd imagine means he's ok with who he has.

That speaks to mismanagement and poor coaching on his part as well.

Right now, Purdue's just in a tough situation.

You can only point to beating "Nebraska" as a major accomplishment so much…..while only have 31,000 people in attendance (and probably 5,000 of those being Nebraska fans).

Purdue isn't going to extend him to fire him immediately. THAT sends a bad message. While you would take the $$$ and run, Hazell is already a multi millionaire. He'd rather lose a few million to keep being the head coach.

It's a similar move to what Maryland did with Edsall. BUT the big difference being Maryland had seen some success with Edsall to where it wasn't really that obvious (or even likely) they'd fire him. It was more of a "wait and see" type of extension.

Hazell is nowhere near where Edsall was at that time.

I think the kay part is "good" offensive coordinator.

Yes, you could get someone. But not many people will want to tie themselves to a sinking ship.

I think at this point, you have what you have. We are bad in every aspect of the game, so it's hard to justify saying one assistant is what's holding us down. And Hazell has had every option to change staff and he hasn't really made any changes in his 3 years, which I'd imagine means he's ok with who he has.

That speaks to mismanagement and poor coaching on his part as well.

Right now, Purdue's just in a tough situation.

You can only point to beating "Nebraska" as a major accomplishment so much…..while only have 31,000 people in attendance (and probably 5,000 of those being Nebraska fans).
I think that this is exactly the point: It's Hazell's decision regarding Shoop continuing to be the OC. The frustration with Hazell is that he refuses to make any adjustments in spite of the clearly poor performance. Let's hope that DH finally got to Shoop and told him that performance had to improve.

The only advantage to a contract extension is the reduced buyout. It won't help recruiting. Recruits and their parents aren't stupid. Regardless of a contract extension, they know hazell's on thin ice and he would need to turn this around next year or he's gone. Chances of him being thier coach for 4 years is nil. Same thing with hiring a new Offensive Coordinator. Why leave a secure position to take a chance of being unemployed in a year? It would be like me leaving my job to go to a company that everyone knows is on the verge of bankruptcy.
If they give him the extension, they could and should, fire him next year if their isn't significant improvement (ie: bowl game) Of course hazell and his agent aren't stupid either. They know Hope took a contract extension with a reduced buyout and was fired the next season. So I doubt they would agree to that.
The smart thing to do is to cut him loose after this season and take your loses

If we're hoping for something that far-fetched, maybe he'll get offered the Colts head coaching gig.

If in fact Hazz stays.................Shoop has to go(100% agreement on that by all) But Hudson has to go too........Our "D" is giving up just shy of 40pts a game............we get 5 TO'S and they still put up 45 against us on Saturday.................that side of the ball is just as bbad!

If we're hoping for something that far-fetched, maybe he'll get offered the Colts head coaching gig.
I meant that he'll be a P5 coach next year....at this school.

If he loses to IU, only wins 2-3 games he'd have little leverage in the matter. Purdue would have 3 years to pay back $6.6M to the guy, which isn't THAT significant especially if Purdue makes a good choice for its head coach next year.

The only advantage to a contract extension is the reduced buyout. It won't help recruiting. Recruits and their parents aren't stupid. Regardless of a contract extension, they know hazell's on thin ice and he would need to turn this around next year or he's gone. Chances of him being thier coach for 4 years is nil. Same thing with hiring a new Offensive Coordinator. Why leave a secure position to take a chance of being unemployed in a year? It would be like me leaving my job to go to a company that everyone knows is on the verge of bankruptcy.
If they give him the extension, they could and should, fire him next year if their isn't significant improvement (ie: bowl game) Of course hazell and his agent aren't stupid either. They know Hope took a contract extension with a reduced buyout and was fired the next season. So I doubt they would agree to that.
The smart thing to do is to cut him loose after this season and take your loses

Recruiting can't get much worse. Sigh.

I meant that he'll be a P5 coach next year....at this school.

If he loses to IU, only wins 2-3 games he'd have little leverage in the matter. Purdue would have 3 years to pay back $6.6M to the guy, which isn't THAT significant especially if Purdue makes a good choice for its head coach next year.
Right I understand - I am saying we have just as good a chance of him getting the Colts gig as of him agreeing to take a penny less than we are obligated to pay him. Especially since doing so would make it easier for us to fire him- at any time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT