ADVERTISEMENT

Desmond Bane - Richmond IN

Okay watching some highlights, I like the kid. But I still think our priority should be in a post player. If Desmond Bane is a legit 6'5", then yeah we should sign him. But if he is one of those "official HS" 6'5", we should pass.

Not a problem was just interested to see how Kristoff was involved. I think some bridges have been mended with the Kendrick's and the Purdue program will start to see improved recruiting because of it. I have long known the Kendrick's are highly involved in the AAU in Indiana (which is great for Indiana as they are both highly intelligent when it comes to basketball knowledge) and their improved relationship with Purdue is a positive for Painter.

Also, I got a chance to play with Kristoff when we were younger on a rag-tag group of players put together by a local barber that played against the private schools in the Lafayette area. Even in like 6th-8th grade, I could tell Kristoff was just a different level of talent than most that were on the floor. When he showed up, I could pencil myself in for at least 15 assists!
LM@O ... OMG, I haven't thought about that local barber in years. He wouldn't hire refs for the games he hosted at the gym at the old West side school that was torn down, so he would ref them. One game I questioned his call and he reached in his pocket and threw his key chain at me - luckily he was on the other side of the court. It was always an interesting dynamic when we played his teams.

Heard about this last night and planned to bump thread today. Didn't know about the 9 3s.

Not sure if Coach Brantley was there for this game, but rumor is PU was watching again.

Coachig friend of mine says Bane is the real deal as is Phinisee from McCutcheon. If CMP can land these two in state players, they are guys that have the ability to make the motion offense work better (imagine this years team with a Moore type player getting in to the paint).

Could care less about the 62, but 9 threes....sounds like something Purdue could use.

I don't think Matt passed on Lavert...just think the kid picked Michigan
that's correct. LaVert was not passed up by Painter. LaVert is an NBA caliber player battling an injury right now but IS the real deal once he gets healthy during the B1G tourney in Indy this upcoming March 2016. He will be high flying once again. I hope we don't play Michigan when he's back at full strength or it could get interesting down the stretch in that game. I am hoping that Cline hits the winning 3 in that game.

Coachig friend of mine says Bane is the real deal as is Phinisee from McCutcheon. If CMP can land these two in state players, they are guys that have the ability to make the motion offense work better (imagine this years team with a Moore type player getting in to the paint).
He IS the real rice, as they say, he will do wonders for Boiler Nation ........

Good size, good athleticism, really short arms. But his 82% FT suggests there's a shooter in there. His 49% 3% may be skewed by competition. Either way, I like his game.

Good size, good athleticism, really short arms. But his 82% FT suggests there's a shooter in there. His 49% 3% may be skewed by competition. Either way, I like his game.
I think we are going after an athletic wing and big man, now if by chance KS would leave maybe this kid would get an offer.

I remember the same sentiment on these boards when the idea of offering Nic Moore was brought up a few years ago.
But for every Nic Moore, there are about ten Patrick Bade, Adam Lidell, Todd Schottlecotte, etc...

But for every Nic Moore, there are about ten Patrick Bade, Adam Lidell, Todd Schottlecotte, etc...

I don't think there was anything wrong with Bade. Not everyone is going to average 15 and 8. He was a role player and every team has/needs those.

I think Lidell left the program when Painter took over and I don't even recognize the last name.

Reactions: BoilerFan#35
I don't think there was anything wrong with Bade. Not everyone is going to average 15 and 8. He was a role player and every team has/needs those.

I think Lidell left the program when Painter took over and I don't even recognize the last name.
Todd was 6'10" and actually dated for a short while my nephews wife when they were at Purdue. Not sure what Todd did after leaving Purdue

a little more I found http://quinmcwhirter.com/quinmarti/homepage/1994Schoettelkotte.html

Last edited:
Reactions: *4purdue*
What I cannot tell by any of the video is how quick he is. The videos are not the best of competition. when you talk to your friend, get a feel on his opinion of quickness,

What I cannot tell by any of the video is how quick he is. The videos are not the best of competition. when you talk to your friend, get a feel on his opinion of quickness,
Especially how quick of a release he has. Many great shooters find they don't have time to get the shot off when they reach D1.

Reactions: tjreese
Anyone heard anything if Purdue might offer , did offer or is waiting on someone else to take an offer before offering Bane?

Anyone heard anything if Purdue might offer , did offer or is waiting on someone else to take an offer before offering Bane?
I'd wait... the '17 class looks much better right now & I'd rather have the extra schollys for then. CMP has also had alot of success holding a scholly for late signing. We got JO, Haas & Swanigan by holding on to a scholly. We are only losing 3 player off this years team (unless there is a transfer). We are adding 3 players next year (BS, DW & CE), & that's not counting Taylor. Bane would need to red shirt if we got him, so I'm not sure I'd want to spend a red shirt on a project.

Wanted to bump a recruiting thread. Was recently checking out guys stats and saw Biggies old high school teammate Jordan Geist is lighting up the JUCO ranks as a freshman. Averaging 16.2 PPG, not to mention shooting 47% from feild and 38% from three. His team is 27-4 as well. May be a chance to pick up a quality player but there were a lot of bad rumors about the guy while he was in highschool but if he has cleaned up his act he could possibly be a good addition.

I'd wait... the '17 class looks much better right now & I'd rather have the extra schollys for then. CMP has also had alot of success holding a scholly for late signing. We got JO, Haas & Swanigan by holding on to a scholly. We are only losing 3 player off this years team (unless there is a transfer). We are adding 3 players next year (BS, DW & CE), & that's not counting Taylor. Bane would need to red shirt if we got him, so I'm not sure I'd want to spend a red shirt on a project.

If Bane is a player who is athletic, can get in to the lane using that athletic ability (something that is going to be lacking next year beyond Carsen Edwards), and he can play tough nosed defense...bring him in. The keys to Purdue's motion offense is ball reversal (you saw how well Purdue's offense was working against Nebraska when a ball reversal occurred and Purdue was able to build that huge lead) and the ability to get in to the lane (Mathias has surprisingly taken that role the last few games and the better flow of the offense has shown).

One service had this to say of Bane after a major event in Indy last summer:

Desmond Bane, SG/SF, Seton Catholic High School, 2016: Easily the breakout of the event in Indy, the 6-foot-5 wing threw down the dunk of the event where the quality built and active senior flew to the basket for throw downs on numerous occasions but he is more than just an athlete. Built like a linebacker, Bane is a highly impressive passer of the basketball, especially below the arc and on the drive to the basket, as the Indiana native found open teammates on kick-out dishes. He can shoot the ball with his feet set, is engaged and active in guarding the basketball, and fully qualitied for next year but with a lone division-1 offer in hand from Air Force, that could all change in the coming weeks where Bane has the tools to contribute within the highest platform of play.

If that doesn't describe qualities that are needed in Purdue's roster next season to come off the bench and provide something that won't be there with the potential starting 5 of C. Edwards, Mathias, Edwards, Swanigan, Haas...I'm not sure what you are looking for in players coming to Purdue beyond top 20 guys.

Bane's averages:
2015-2016
30.2 ppg 6.3 asst 11.5 reb 1.9 stl 3.1 blk

Varsity total averages (3 years of varsity for 71 games)
24.8 ppg 5.2 asst 10.6 reb 2.0 stl 2.9 blk

A solid player who has shown he can do a bit of everything throughout his high school career. A player who can average a double-double who is known to have above average shooting ability AND athletic ability...bring him in next season.

Wanted to bump a recruiting thread. Was recently checking out guys stats and saw Biggies old high school teammate Jordan Geist is lighting up the JUCO ranks as a freshman. Averaging 16.2 PPG, not to mention shooting 47% from feild and 38% from three. His team is 27-4 as well. May be a chance to pick up a quality player but there were a lot of bad rumors about the guy while he was in highschool but if he has cleaned up his act he could possibly be a good addition.

It seems like nowadays most JUCO players don't translate to major impact players in DI unless they are literally the best of the best. If Jaylen Barford decommits from Arkansas (I don't think Coach Mike Anderson is in great standing there with only 1 <or 2?> NCAA Tourney appearances in 5 years), I hope CMP and staff go after him but I'm not sure that any other JC player will be worthwhile.

Reactions: BoilerFan#35
It seems like nowadays most JUCO players don't translate to major impact players in DI unless they are literally the best of the best. If Jaylen Barford decommits from Arkansas (I don't think Coach Mike Anderson is in great standing there with only 1 <or 2?> NCAA Tourney appearances in 5 years), I hope CMP and staff go after him but I'm not sure that any other JC player will be worthwhile.
I watched Geist play Carmel last year in the tourney and I went away with the impression that he was the best player on the floor that night. He didn't score the most points but he made bucket after bucket down the stretch.

If Bane is a player who is athletic, can get in to the lane using that athletic ability (something that is going to be lacking next year beyond Carsen Edwards), and he can play tough nosed defense...bring him in. The keys to Purdue's motion offense is ball reversal (you saw how well Purdue's offense was working against Nebraska when a ball reversal occurred and Purdue was able to build that huge lead) and the ability to get in to the lane (Mathias has surprisingly taken that role the last few games and the better flow of the offense has shown).

One service had this to say of Bane after a major event in Indy last summer:

Desmond Bane, SG/SF, Seton Catholic High School, 2016: Easily the breakout of the event in Indy, the 6-foot-5 wing threw down the dunk of the event where the quality built and active senior flew to the basket for throw downs on numerous occasions but he is more than just an athlete. Built like a linebacker, Bane is a highly impressive passer of the basketball, especially below the arc and on the drive to the basket, as the Indiana native found open teammates on kick-out dishes. He can shoot the ball with his feet set, is engaged and active in guarding the basketball, and fully qualitied for next year but with a lone division-1 offer in hand from Air Force, that could all change in the coming weeks where Bane has the tools to contribute within the highest platform of play.

If that doesn't describe qualities that are needed in Purdue's roster next season to come off the bench and provide something that won't be there with the potential starting 5 of C. Edwards, Mathias, Edwards, Swanigan, Haas...I'm not sure what you are looking for in players coming to Purdue beyond top 20 guys.
Problem is with that lineup, you already have BS, JT, RC, PJ & DW coming off the bench. That's not even counting KS if he plays. Are you going to have a 12 man rotation? 10 hasn't even worked out this year. I'm thinking save the scholly for 17 class, which is a much better class.

I watched Geist play Carmel last year in the tourney and I went away with the impression that he was the best player on the floor that night. He didn't score the most points but he made bucket after bucket down the stretch.

Maybe he could make the transition, maybe not. I'll admit I didn't follow Homestead that closely the past couple of years outside of when Purdue became known as a legit choice for Swanigan, so I know almost nothing about Geist. With that noted, is he a guard or more of a wing/small forward? Does he have good height/length and athleticism? Is he able to leave his junior college after this school year or will he stay for his sophomore year?

Problem is with that lineup, you already have BS, JT, RC, PJ & DW coming off the bench. That's not even counting KS if he plays. Are you going to have a 12 man rotation? 10 hasn't even worked out this year. I'm thinking save the scholly for 17 class, which is a much better class.

But if there is a player who can fill a need that will be lacking next season, you fill it with the best possible option you can have. Bane will inevitably get bigger offers as classes fill out and he will be a good player. He is what Davis was but with more athletic ability and a better jump shot coming in as a freshman

But if there is a player who can fill a need that will be lacking next season, you fill it with the best possible option you can have. Bane will inevitably get bigger offers as classes fill out and he will be a good player. He is what Davis was but with more athletic ability and a better jump shot coming in as a freshman
You think he's going to replace the B1G DPOY as a freshman? If I thought that I would be on your side. I think Basil is going to have a hard time getting minutes next year unless he is greatly improved, let alone a freshman that has no other major offers. He could end up being a surprise like Kramer was, but remember, we didn't have much when Kramer got here. Next years team is stacked.

You guys have convinced me.

There are 2 scholarships available right now. Bane is an option. JC players (be picky with them, though; not as many impact guys nowadays) are an option. De-commitments are an option (JC or HS). Graduate transfers are an option (leaves at least 1 open for 2017).

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Watched Bane for 1/2 game tonight, will see him again tomorrow. Good ball handler, good size for high school, good hands, can get up, but he does get alot of calls his way, and he looked good on a couple 3's he shot. He plays point on offense and under on zone defense

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT