ADVERTISEMENT

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt...

Bob Sienicki

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 2, 2004
Camp Verde, AZ
Because it is apparently at flood stage throughout the Louisville area right now. They are drowning in rationalizations - especially whenever Brohm makes a statement to the media that is favorable to staying at Purdue...

"This is where I want to be, and I like it here!" Response: "This was not a definitive statement..."

"I'm looking forward to a future (at Purdue)." Response: "What is he supposed to say while he is still at Purdue?"

Rondale Moore: "(Brohm said) there is nothing to worry about (regarding his future at Purdue)." Response: "If that's not a hedge, what is?"

No doubt if Brohm comes out and states clearly, "I am going to remain the football coach at Purdue and not accept the offer to coach at Louisville," no doubt, the response would be, "For now! He didn't put a timeline on it! It's not over yet!!!"

They just won't give up, will they??? Lol

Kind of like this guy...

Last edited:
ezgif-2-80a2011f28bc.gif

I started following Louisville football in the mid 80's. As the fan of a school that has had many of it's coaches poached by other schools(Schnellenberger, John L Smith, Petrino:eek:, Charlie Strong), I can absolutely relate to the stress Purdue fans are experiencing right now. What I can't relate to, is adults who do not understand how the real world works. Allow me to elaborate.

Let me be clear, I am not proclaiming Brohm to be the next coach at Louisville. I'd like to see it pan out that way, I'm about 50/50 on whether it will happen or not, and I have a couple other candidates that might even be better. I would not be shocked or surprised if Brohm continues to coach at Purdue. I also know that I have no control over the situation, and that attempting to coddle or soothe myself with meaningless banter is pointless and ineffective.

As to "how the real world works"; it's crucial to point out that up until (probably) right now; Louisville has not offered Brohm the job. Understand, I am unaware of anyone in a professional setting, ever saying anything to the impact of "I am leaving X, to work at Y" when "Y" has not even offered a position.

Many of us, myself included, have had jobs where we were very satisfied. If you asked us on Monday if we where happy, we would answer "yes" with complete honesty. However then something "better" becomes available on Tuesday, and by Wednesday we are putting our two weeks in. It doesn't mean we didn't like our job, doesn't mean we we were lying when just days before we said wanted to stay there. This is just how the real world works, and how grown adults handle the changing environment that life throws at them.

Now before you guys flip out, and accuse me of being an arrogant bastard for calling Louisville a "better" job than Purdue, there's a reason "better" is in quotations. As I have said in other threads, I'm not arguing that the ACC is better than the B1G. Not arguing that Louisville is a better program than Purdue. What I am advocating, is that Louisville is a dream job for Brohm. It really does blow my mind how some Purdue fans cannot acknowledge the history that Brohm has with the city and the program. It's not just that Jeff Brohm played at Louisville. His father played there, his brothers played there, his entire family was born and raised there. It's for those reasons that it could be argued(but not proven) that Louisville is a "better" job for Brohm. It has nothing to do with Louisville being superior/inferior to Purdue.

Sorry for the long post. In case you didn't feel like reading it all, here's a brief summary.

- Up until now, Louisville has not offered Brohm the job. Everything up until this point is coach speak and conjecture.

-None of us have any control over this situation, so freaking out is asinine

- The real world. Everything is not black and white, and adults are often faced with a gray area of circumstances that impacts the decisions they make. This gray area can change often, and quickly.

- To acknowledge that there are factors, conditions, and history that could make Louisville the preferred destination for Brohm; is not to say that Louisville is a better football program than Purdue.

Peace, and best of luck to you guys.

Last edited:
I started following Louisville football in the mid 80's. As the fan of a school that has had many of it's coaches poached by other schools(Schnellenberger, John L Smith, Petrino:eek:, Charlie Strong), I can absolutely relate to the stress Purdue fans are experiencing right now. What I can't relate to, is adults who do not understand how the real world works. Allow me to elaborate.

Let me be clear, I am not proclaiming Brohm to be the next coach at Louisville. I'd like to see it pan out that way, I'm about 50/50 on whether it will happen or not, and I have a couple other candidates that might even be better. I would not be shocked or surprised if Brohm continues to coach at Purdue. I also know that I have no control over the situation, and that attempting to coddle or soothe myself with meaningless banter is pointless and ineffective.

As to "how the real world works"; it's crucial to point out that up until (probably) right now; Louisville has not offered Brohm the job. Understand, I am unaware of anyone in a professional setting, ever saying anything to the impact of "I am leaving X, to work at Y" when "Y" has not even offered a position.

Many of us, myself included, have had jobs where we were very satisfied. If you asked us on Monday if we where happy, we would answer "yes" with complete honesty. However then something "better" becomes available on Tuesday, and by Wednesday we are putting our two weeks in. It doesn't mean we didn't like our job, doesn't mean we we were lying when just days before we said wanted to stay there. This is just how the real world works, and how grown adults handle the changing environment that life throws at them.

Now before you guys flip out, and accuse me of being an arrogant bastard for calling Louisville a "better" job than Purdue, there's a reason "better" is in quotations. As I have said in other threads, I'm not arguing that the ACC is better than the B1G. Not arguing that Louisville is a better program than Purdue. What I am advocating, is that Louisville is a dream job for Brohm. It really does blow my mind how some Purdue fans cannot acknowledge the history that Brohm has with the city and the program. It's not just that Jeff Brohm played at Louisville. His father played there, his brothers played there, his entire family was born and raised there. It's for those reasons that it could be argued(but not proven) that Louisville is a "better" job for Brohm. It has nothing to do with Louisville being superior/inferior to Purdue.

Sorry for the long post. In case you didn't feel like reading it all, here's a brief summary.

- Up until now, Louisville has not offered Brohm the job. Everything up until this point is coach speak and conjecture.

- The real world. Everything is not black and white, and adults are often faced with a gray area of circumstances that impacts the decisions they make. This gray area can change often, and quickly.

- To acknowledge that there are factors, conditions, and history that could make Louisville the preferred destination for Brohm; is not to say that Louisville is a better football program than Purdue.

Agree with everything you said. I think Brohm will be the UL coach someday. Just not right now. That job comes open every 4 years, so he will have other opportunities to come home, after he has finished his job here.

Because it is apparently at flood stage throughout the Louisville area right now. They are drowning in rationalizations - especially whenever Brohm makes a statement to the media that is favorable to staying at Purdue...

"This is where I want to be, and I like it here!" Response: "This was not a definitive statement..."

"I'm looking forward to a future (at Purdue)." Response: "What is he supposed to say while he is still at Purdue?"

Rondale Moore: "(Brohm said) there is nothing to worry about (regarding his future at Purdue)." Response: "If that's not a hedge, what is?"

No doubt if Brohm comes out and states clearly, "I am going to remain the football coach at Purdue and not accept the offer to coach at Louisville," no doubt, the response would be, "For now! He didn't put a timeline on it! It's not over yet!!!"

They just won't give up, will they??? Lol

Kind of like this guy...

To be fair, our fans are doing the same thing.

To be fair, our fans are doing the same thing.

Brohm has already learned "You can't go home again."

Thanks for the sane post.

A few things:
  1. Purdue fans are not "freaking out." Many/most are simply responding to the childish crap being loaded up on this forum by idiotic UofL fans.
  2. Most/all Purdue fans are well aware how the real world works, when it comes to programs looking to take a coach from another school. They understand the process, and how coaches handle the media's questions.
  3. Most Purdue fans have recognized that the "X factor" is the emotional tie to UofL.
  4. Most/all Purdue fans have conceded that no one knows what he will decide, but have wished him the best.
  5. Most Purdue fans on this forum have, and continue to objectively weigh the strengths of each program.
  6. Most/all Purdue fans genuinely appreciate fans from other schools who wish to engage in an exchange that doesn't involve irrational, gleeful ignorance and stupidity, like, "he gone."
  7. Finally, with respect to the dream job, Brohm came out in no uncertain term as responded, "no, it is not." I understand how that can be reasoned-away, but it is what it is.
Again, thanks for stopping by.

In their defense, other coaches in the past have made statements like that right before they contradicted themselves and left.

I'm still not confident he'll stay (who can say 'no' to their alma mater?), but I hope he will stay and there is a chance that could happen.

Reactions: Purdue85

You shut your dirty whore mouth!

Apologies. I saw that on the Iowa board, REALLY liked it and have been looking for an opportunity to use it, and this post drew the lucky straw! :)

Don't disagree with anything you say, except 1 part: I worked with a colleague who when it was announced a new company would be coming to town (that would be looking for his talent set) went in the next day and told our boss "Well, I guess I'll just have to go get a job with them since they won't hire me on here full time" (he was a contractor). The boss said "Best of luck", so it probably didn't have the desired effect he was looking for.

As for the dream job, there's a reason Allford never went back to IU. A "favorite Son" coach can get caught in a situation where there are only two options; win championships or fail. The adoring fanbase can leave little or no room for anything else.

You shut your dirty whore mouth!

Apologies. I saw that on the Iowa board, REALLY liked it and have been looking for an opportunity to use it, and this post drew the lucky straw! :)

Don't disagree with anything you say, except 1 part: I worked with a colleague who when it was announced a new company would be coming to town (that would be looking for his talent set) went in the next day and told our boss "Well, I guess I'll just have to go get a job with them since they won't hire me on here full time" (he was a contractor). The boss said "Best of luck", so it probably didn't have the desired effect he was looking for.

As for the dream job, there's a reason Allford never went back to IU. A "favorite Son" coach can get caught in a situation where there are only two options; win championships or fail. The adoring fanbase can leave little or no room for anything else.
Was Steve Alford ever offered the IU job?I know his name is always kicked around when that job comes open,but I dont ever remember reading that it was offered to him.And you are right about winning championships or failing.He would be under incredible pressure to hang a banner down there right away.

Was Steve Alford ever offered the IU job?I know his name is always kicked around when that job comes open,but I dont ever remember reading that it was offered to him.And you are right about winning championships or failing.He would be under incredible pressure to hang a banner down there right away.
According to Dan Dakich - the contract was signed and being delivered until they hired Archie.

You've been respectful with your post. So I'm not flaming you with this. But in the real world of coaching, the coach's agent does a majority of the negotiating and is the primary contact for the offering school. There's almost zero doubt Brohm's agent has already seen an offer come through from Tyra, which means Brohm has seen it. So if he's openly telling his players not to worry, but he's leaving, he's a very good liar, and doesn't have the character I hoped he would.

Interesting post on CardMarch made today. Guy states he attended alumni event yesterday with several former players. His "info" states 2 UofL donors are buying out Petrino contract. He states Brohm has had no contact with anyone from UofL and that his agent is negotiating with both teams. Cards offered $35-40 million over 6 years. Purdue countered with 50 mil over 8 years. He feels like Brohm can honestly say the things he has been saying because he has absolutely no knowledge of what is going on. The offers will be presented to Brohm soon and he will make a decision. Contrary to a lot of the UofL posters, this guy says it has never been a done deal. Interesting read, but I take it with a grain of salt.

Brohm definitively said Louisville wasn't his dream job. I honestly don't think he has any interest un coaching Louisville at this point. If he leaves i think it would be for a top tier job such as osu or notre Dame.

Brohm definitively said Louisville wasn't his dream job. I honestly don't think he has any interest un coaching Louisville at this point. If he leaves i think it would be for a top tier job such as osu or notre Dame.

could be, John, but I don't know.

Brohm gives off every indication he's a builder.... someone who will take a program like Purdue and go as far as he can. He's in it for the challenge, he's said multiple times.

I just don't see him (right now) as a guy who would be interested in taking a 'Bama, OSU, ND, type job.

But, you never know.

I understand why and how much you all want CJB to come save Louisville Football. After all, that’s why we want CJB to stay- he’s started doing that very thing for Purdue. What I don’t understand, in all due respect is why you all are so obsessed with carrying on about it over here on the Purdue Forums instead of your own? It’s one thing to convince yourselves that Brohm is a done deal as so many of you all like to claim, or even that he’s going to bring Purdue’s players and recruits with him. Even if one still truly believes all that after Brohm’s statements this week, what would possess someone to need to go to the other school’s forums and rant about it ( not aimed specifically about you but this Board has been deluged for weeks now)? There is no way to say this politely but the need to bust into someone else’s house and try to pick a fight like that seriously makes one question those folks’ emotional stability.
We have always been a Board that enjoyed reasoned, polite discussions when visited by other fan bases but sadly we have been shocked by the majority of visiting Louisville fan’s attitude over all this. It’s nice to be considered the Royal Family of Louisville but if I were Brohm I think I might feel like a side of beef that Louisville thought they owned instead of an Alum. CJB doesn’t seem like the sort to be treated like the Family Dog...Fire him the first time then snap your fingers the next time and expect him to come running home to meet your timetable. Does that not give anyone pause at all down there? Anyway, you have been one of the more respectful visitors and that is appreciated( you have no idea how much!). Best of luck in finding a Coach, we just understandably hope it’s not ours.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT