ADVERTISEMENT

Defense stifles Rutgers (link)

I am not sure but I think this is the worst game I have seen two BTT teams play in a long time. They only scored 4 pts combined in the first 6 minutes of the first Q. Rutgers is really, really bad--how far MS. Stringer has fallen--but except for a few spurts, Purdue did not play very well except for Morrisette and Harris. But they won and over the last 3 games will establish if they get that first round BTT bye or not. But this team does not seem like it is going anywhere. Hopefully, McBride's injury is not serious. Losing her for any real period of time will make it extra hard. Without her we effectively have 6 players as Kiesler and Gray are merely players to give breathers.

Yes, the first quarter was unbelievable offensively with only 9 points apiece - most of them scored in the last few mins of the quarter. But Rutgers is the second best scoring defense in the league (behind only our Boilers.) And we were without McBride which is a big loss for our offense. Despite that, the long trip to Piscataway and no crowd to encourage them they won easily.

Kinda funny the announcers (who for being Rutger's announcers were pretty good and pretty fair) would mention McBride's name as if she was in there even though she was not. I missed the first couple of mins of the game so maybe her not playing was announced but I did not know and kept looking at the screen wondering where the announcers were seeing her and I was not.

I think what you mean is the last three games will decide whether this team gets a second round bye in the BTT. It already has a first round bye sewn up (there are already four teams with 10 or more losses.) I think if McBride is back we have a good chance to beat Iowa, Minne and the NW Cats.

Opps, you're right--second round bye. Yes this team can beat or lose to each of those last three teams. If we win them and win a game in the BTT that would be 20 wins and a skinny chance at the NCAA. But if not it would pretty much lock up the NIT.

Opps, you're right--second round bye. Yes this team can beat or lose to each of those last three teams. If we win them and win a game in the BTT that would be 20 wins and a skinny chance at the NCAA. But if not it would pretty much lock up the NIT.

Purdue isn't even on the radar of the NCAA Tournament and a 3-0, 1-1 finish won't get them there.

Opps, okay good er not so good to know. I guess the NIT then maybe.

There's just not enough opportunity to get the RPI back up to a respectable number. It's at about 99 right now. Maybe if Purdue could go 3-0, then win two of three in the Big Ten (as long as the two Ws were against Michigan/Maryland/Ohio State). But even then, it's probably a remote long shot.

thanks
Will be interesting to see if there is any AD response to what is going on. But if she wins 20+ hard to see him letting her go. Most of this may be just be created by angst of a few on this board.

I am not sure but I think this is the worst game I have seen two BTT teams play in a long time. They only scored 4 pts combined in the first 6 minutes of the first Q. Rutgers is really, really bad--how far MS. Stringer has fallen--but except for a few spurts, Purdue did not play very well except for Morrisette and Harris. But they won and over the last 3 games will establish if they get that first round BTT bye or not. But this team does not seem like it is going anywhere. Hopefully, McBride's injury is not serious. Losing her for any real period of time will make it extra hard. Without her we effectively have 6 players as Kiesler and Gray are merely players to give breathers.
"Kreisler and Gray are merely players to give breathers". Why does a statement like that not provoke some concern? It should not be!!!
As for Gray?... perhaps expected as she may have been brought in more under the "Friends and Family" program than a true recruit and as a freshmen, we give that year to develop and prove. But Purdue recruited Kreisler. She got good floor time last year. Now in her 2nd year and less of a contribution? Why is that?
No, she was never quick. Yes, her range of shot was limited. But why has that not improved or post move arsenal not increased? Make no mistake. Every play is a set play. Following the play is paramount to staying on the floor. If you don't get the touch, it's by design. What I see is a player with shattered confidence. Her diminished value orchestrated. Another casualty. Those are expensive seats on that sideline. Aside from injury, no investment should be sitting idle, friends, family or otherwise. Every player should be improving year over year. I don't think any player chooses Purdue with the intent to see her game diminish.

Reactions: Bigohh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT