Dog Mitchell
ILB Alexander
ILB
Cat
CB Howard
S Allen
S
CB

If I was to use the talent, experience and solid play of the 2003 Purdue defense as a standard, that’s what I feel good about going into next year. I’m not gonna get into whether or not those players have backups, because the other positions all have more pressing and primary concerns..

DE (or 4-3 DT) - I’ll think about watts snd barnes returning when they announce they are returning ..

So, this position I feel good about. You can’t do much better than getting Steven Faucheux and then having him gaining strength in the program for two years before you need him. I’m sure Nat may correct me but it seems like Hudgins may be slotted here, and if so that’s good for competition.

NT - I have yet to see anything from Lawrence Johnson that shows me that he’s a force as a 3-4 NT or will be by next year. This needs to be the force of your defense, like Lorenzo meal pre injury, or you don’t have a 3-4 defense. Whether Johnson, in year 4 in the program, can look like it.. is a major question. Also, can Austin make a move? Year 2 may be a little early.

this is a major question. Sitting around like “oh it’s our year” takes about the low level of thought that had people planning their trip to the big ten championship this year.

ILB - Next to Alexander, hardly what I’d call a great best Linebacker (using the 4-3 standard and taking Mitchell out of it) you’re depending on Khali Saunders to go from little used reserve to solid starter. With three games left this year, as much as I’m high on Saunders, that’s hardly this slam dunk proposition

Cat - Graham doesn’t suck but he still looks lost a lot. He’s just not that good in coverage, which can come with time.. but I’m not seeing anything that tells me he will be this ace in coverage next year using the cat standard

S - I really like Grant and think that he has the TALENT to be our second best defensive player next year .. but he’s no cam Allen in coverage and may be a coverage liability next year.

I love how Minnesota ran that stupid Seth green crap and everyone stood around looking like helpless marks and grant came in put a stop to that stupid sorry ass crap that never should have worked 18 times in the first place real quick. He’s like george... he’s not cut from the same cloth as a lot of the rest of the guys ..

But he’s got a ways to go in coverage.. not like jalen graham distance 🙄 but a ways..

CB - Mackey gets a free pass from a lot of people on the whole Jared sparks 2017 train of thought.. and I don’t doubt that he works hard and is a good kid.

but he’s not that athletic for a corner and can be used by opposing OCs pretty easily. Like I’ve been saying for years..what I wouldn’t do for anthony brown and Brandon king back.

so that’s where we are at on just not having any exploitable starters, forget backups..

and These opposing coaches are pros..give Them one guy they can exploit and they will go out and make a living ...

Like the 2003 defense. The three guys who didn’t get drafted still weren’t these busters where opposing coaches could stop a video and say “THAT GUY! THAT GUY IS GONNA ALLOW US TO MAKE A LIVING ON SATURDAY”
For next year the obvious big losses would be Neal, Barnes, and Watts. I really think the secondary will be fine as it is still really young. I also see that the biggest problem is we don't turn to find the ball in coverage. Don't know if this is being taught or simply a product of inexperience, but it can be fixed. Graham should continue to get stronger and will be helped by a second year in Diaco's system. At linebacker I'm not sure what you've seen in Saunders that makes you think he is better than Fakasiieiki or Douglas. Those two would be my guesses to play with Alexander. Of course Fakasiieiki is listed as a senior but I'm not sure he will have the same option to leave as Barnes. Haven't heard much from Wahlberg and Washington looks the part as well. I think this defense can be really good next year if we can develop competent defensive tackles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT