ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Moving Forward

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011
I'm hoping this squad regroups and figures out what they need to do to improve. I know we were down Watts and Mitchell last night, which hurt.

Everyone keeps talking about how 2021 is the year. But I'm really questioning how this defense gets better next year with Neal, Watts, and Barnes not likely to be coming back for another year.

Mitchell really hurts, because quite frankly he's been our best defensive player. We simply don't have the quality depth on the defensive side of the ball.
Mitchell's loss was big last night. I'd like to see more of the Iowa transfer, what the hell was Howard doing on that long 4th and 8 pass?

Reactions: purduepat1969
Mitchell really hurts, because quite frankly he's been our best defensive player. We simply don't have the quality depth on the defensive side of the ball.

Agree on the depth issues. Also, kudos to George Karlaftis suiting up and playing, but he still looked hampered and was not his usual disruptive force. In perhaps an all-time glass half-full moment, despite how bad the defense has looked at times - the last two weeks they have made some key stops to give the offense a chance to tie or win.....that's at least something to build on. There are some playmakers, but the consistency is not nearly there yet.

Likely the division is out of reach, but I like the potential of the offense if Mr. Plummer can keep it up like last evening. Let's see what the Boilers can do.....got to get a little angry after a loss like that. Then come out hammering.

IU's defensive line is at this point significantly better than what we're seeing from this team. Their starters are getting pressure on Justin Fields today. Depth has nothing to do with virtually getting no defensive pressure on the QB or letting Minnesota run at will a any point of the game. I don't buy the depth issue.

Agree on the depth issues. Also, kudos to George Karlaftis suiting up and playing, but he still looked hampered and was not his usual disruptive force. In perhaps an all-time glass half-full moment, despite how bad the defense has looked at times - the last two weeks they have made some key stops to give the offense a chance to tie or win.....that's at least something to build on. There are some playmakers, but the consistency is not nearly there yet.

Likely the division is out of reach, but I like the potential of the offense if Mr. Plummer can keep it up like last evening. Let's see what the Boilers can do.....got to get a little angry after a loss like that. Then come out hammering.
When George is healthy, it makes the entire Defense more effective.
He ties up 2 blockers which opens things up for the linebackers.

Excited to see the rest of this year...

I would love to see the “defense moving forward” instead of being knocked off the ball as usual.
The defensive line is disappointing to say the least. It should have been a strength of the defense this year, and instead is a huge liability. I don't see any draft picks off this line other than Karlaftis.

One thing I'd like to see, if the DL can't get to the QB, is for them to get their hands up and knock some passes down. Morgan's only issue last night was when they brought in #17 in on the wildcat.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I like Brohm a lot, but I think he made a horrible mistake with Disco Diaco. Dude is just not a good coach.
He's coached 4 games after implementing a new system on a short schedule with a defense that was the worst in the conference. Gotta cut him some slack.

Reactions: Purdue85
IU's defensive line is at this point significantly better than what we're seeing from this team. Their starters are getting pressure on Justin Fields today. Depth has nothing to do with virtually getting no defensive pressure on the QB or letting Minnesota run at will a any point of the game. I don't buy the depth issue.
Some of IU's successful blitzes were coming from delayed safety blitz. Surprised tO$U & Fields didn't adjust pick it up and clean their clock. There is enough video on that to make IU pay should they attempt that on us in a few short weeks.

The defensive line is disappointing to say the least. It should have been a strength of the defense this year, and instead is a huge liability. I don't see any draft picks off this line other than Karlaftis.
Watt was out. GK was hindered. Mitchell was out. Youre down 3 starters and relying on 2nd and 3rd stringers. People are curious why?

Watt was out. GK was hindered. Mitchell was out. Youre down 3 starters and relying on 2nd and 3rd stringers. People are curious why?
I'm pretty sure Watt, Mitchell, and GK played against Iowa, Illinois, and NW (GK obviously hurt in this game). They didn't look good at all during the Iowa game or that great vs Illinois. They played better in the 2nd half against NW. But they haven't been all that impressive IMHO...

GK was injured in the Illinois game and didnt play against NW. Mitchell was a beast when he was playing.

I think what everyone is focused on is the lack of pass rush. Rush defense has improved. PPG allowed has improved drastically.

Defense was on the field too much in the early games. Top was lopsided, especially in nw game. Defense was wore out. When there is little depth, injuries can be disastrous. Now, hopefully, the offense becomes more of a compliment to the defense. Get healthy and see what the D can do.

Im not sure what people are looking for. If people want the defense Purdue had in 2002 and 2003 that took Tiller 7 years to build.

The Rose Bowl defense was marginal. It made plays when it had to but the offense carried that team.

Reactions: Purdue85
I think one of the big things with the defense is the opening drive. Both against Northwestern and Minnesota, we let them go straight down the field for an easy TD on the opening drive. We had to play catch-up in both games right off the bat. There needs to be more of a sense of urgency on the opening possession. Or maybe we need to not defer the kickoff.

based on?

His track record. His only real good years were at Notre Dame when he had absolutely elite talent. Even during his stint at ND, they were fed up with how many yards he gave up. Lucky for him he was tough in the redzone. Outside of that, it has been pretty damn spotty.

His track record. His only real good years were at Notre Dame when he had absolutely elite talent. Even during his stint at ND, they were fed up with how many yards he gave up. Lucky for him he was tough in the redzone. Outside of that, it has been pretty damn spotty.
His defense last year only allowed 23 ppg. Frankly, if we can get that, Brohm should be able to win a lot of games. Hoping for a shut down d on a year in year out basis isnt going to happen.

I'm hoping this squad regroups and figures out what they need to do to improve. I know we were down Watts and Mitchell last night, which hurt.

Everyone keeps talking about how 2021 is the year. But I'm really questioning how this defense gets better next year with Neal, Watts, and Barnes not likely to be coming back for another year.

okay, presume Diaco is still here in a year, let’s start with known commodities

DE Karlaftis
NT
DE
Dog Mitchell
ILB Alexander
ILB
Cat
CB Howard
S Allen
S
CB

If I was to use the talent, experience and solid play of the 2003 Purdue defense as a standard, that’s what I feel good about going into next year. I’m not gonna get into whether or not those players have backups, because the other positions all have more pressing and primary concerns..

DE (or 4-3 DT) - I’ll think about watts snd barnes returning when they announce they are returning ..

So, this position I feel good about. You can’t do much better than getting Steven Faucheux and then having him gaining strength in the program for two years before you need him. I’m sure Nat may correct me but it seems like Hudgins may be slotted here, and if so that’s good for competition.

NT - I have yet to see anything from Lawrence Johnson that shows me that he’s a force as a 3-4 NT or will be by next year. This needs to be the force of your defense, like Lorenzo meal pre injury, or you don’t have a 3-4 defense. Whether Johnson, in year 4 in the program, can look like it.. is a major question. Also, can Austin make a move? Year 2 may be a little early.

this is a major question. Sitting around like “oh it’s our year” takes about the low level of thought that had people planning their trip to the big ten championship this year.

ILB - Next to Alexander, hardly what I’d call a great best Linebacker (using the 4-3 standard and taking Mitchell out of it) you’re depending on Khali Saunders to go from little used reserve to solid starter. With three games left this year, as much as I’m high on Saunders, that’s hardly this slam dunk proposition

Cat - Graham doesn’t suck but he still looks lost a lot. He’s just not that good in coverage, which can come with time.. but I’m not seeing anything that tells me he will be this ace in coverage next year using the cat standard

S - I really like Grant and think that he has the TALENT to be our second best defensive player next year .. but he’s no cam Allen in coverage and may be a coverage liability next year.

I love how Minnesota ran that stupid Seth green crap and everyone stood around looking like helpless marks and grant came in put a stop to that stupid sorry ass crap that never should have worked 18 times in the first place real quick. He’s like george... he’s not cut from the same cloth as a lot of the rest of the guys ..

But he’s got a ways to go in coverage.. not like jalen graham distance 🙄 but a ways..

CB - Mackey gets a free pass from a lot of people on the whole Jared sparks 2017 train of thought.. and I don’t doubt that he works hard and is a good kid.

but he’s not that athletic for a corner and can be used by opposing OCs pretty easily. Like I’ve been saying for years..what I wouldn’t do for anthony brown and Brandon king back.

so that’s where we are at on just not having any exploitable starters, forget backups..

and These opposing coaches are pros..give Them one guy they can exploit and they will go out and make a living ...

Like the 2003 defense. The three guys who didn’t get drafted still weren’t these busters where opposing coaches could stop a video and say “THAT GUY! THAT GUY IS GONNA ALLOW US TO MAKE A LIVING ON SATURDAY”

I think Hudgins is destined for DE. He was said to be adding bulk over the summer.

As for CB - Mackey is fine. He is in position and has good coverage a lot of the times. Morgan made good throws. My one complaint at corner is that theyre being taught to faceguard and arent turning to look for the ball.

His defense last year only allowed 23 ppg. Frankly, if we can get that, Brohm should be able to win a lot of games. Hoping for a shut down d on a year in year out basis isnt going to happen.
I'm with you - I have no idea what else people are (realistically) asking for. Our defensive toxicity has been our biggest improvement, which I feel should be mostly credited to Diaco's scheme over Holt's. If we can work on getting off the field on 3rd downs, I'll like the direction our defense is going in year 1 even more.

I do have a couple questions for you if you get a chance-

Thoughts on Jalen Graham

Thoughts on Diaco's 'zero' blitzes on 3rd down vs Minny.

I'm with you - I have no idea what else people are (realistically) asking for. Our defensive toxicity has been our biggest improvement, which I feel should be mostly credited to Diaco's scheme over Holt's. If we can work on getting off the field on 3rd downs, I'll like the direction our defense is going in year 1 even more.

I do have a couple questions for you if you get a chance-

Thoughts on Jalen Graham

Thoughts on Diaco's 'zero' blitzes on 3rd down vs Minny.

Re Graham - He is fine against the run but struggles in coverage. I wouldnt be mad if he moved to the boundary side as he continues to add bulk.

Re 3rd down - Everytime we blitzed, morgan audibled to a check down and found the man that was single covered. Frankly, i was more disappointed with the tackling than with the lack of blitzing. Im not sure if it was the temperature or the time of night or what.

I think Hudgins is destined for DE. He was said to be adding bulk over the summer.

As for CB - Mackey is fine. He is in position and has good coverage a lot of the times. Morgan made good throws. My one complaint at corner is that theyre being taught to faceguard and arent turning to look for the ball.

I can buy fine but he wouldn’t be a threat to start for the 03 team like the guys I listed

when you say DE for hudgins do you mean 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE

I can buy fine but he wouldn’t be a threat to start for the 03 team like the guys I listed

when you say DE for hudgins do you mean 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE
1) Probably not. But he is probably 2nd best we have. Howard is fast but undisciplined. johnson is meh at this point.

2) Either.

Re Graham - He is fine against the run but struggles in coverage. I wouldnt be mad if he moved to the boundary side as he continues to add bulk.

Re 3rd down - Everytime we blitzed, morgan audibled to a check down and found the man that was single covered. Frankly, i was more disappointed with the tackling than with the lack of blitzing. Im not sure if it was the temperature or the time of night or what.
I like the kid's size, but it almost seems like he struggles with knowing his responsibilities. For only a true sophomore he does have some time, but he seems to struggle with both coverage/setting the edge when called upon to do so.

I didn't hate the blitzing calls either, but I know some on here did. Our tackling was pretty horrendous given the standard we had set to start the year.

George is out at least the next 3 weeks with Covid.
200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT