ADVERTISEMENT

Darrell Hazell level incompetence

This was so obviously going to be a failure from day one. Why we thought hiring a young defensive coordinator from Illinois was a good idea I will never understand. At least Haze won 11 games in one season as a head coach at Kent state, so it made some sense to hire him. This hire had disaster written all over it.

I fully expect Indinia to drop 70 on us and make it look easy.
Wait one minute, IU has a very easy schedule including UCLA...... LSU will kill UCLA!!!!
70 points, no way. Maybe 80......
Lord, help our Boilers...

• Haha
Reactions: BBG
This was so obviously going to be a failure from day one. Why we thought hiring a young defensive coordinator from Illinois was a good idea I will never understand. At least Haze won 11 games in one season as a head coach at Kent state, so it made some sense to hire him. This hire had disaster written all over it.
Exactly, could see the writing on the wall from the moment the hire was made. Chose not to renew my season tickets the exact same day. The AD went the cheap route at Purdue's highest point in football in years, and it's failed miserably. A solid hire could have continued to build on the success we were having, and now, we're back to big ten doormat unfortunately.

Exactly, could see the writing on the wall from the moment the hire was made. Chose not to renew my season tickets the exact same day. The AD went the cheap route at Purdue's highest point in football in years, and it's failed miserably. A solid hire could have continued to build on the success we were having, and now, we're back to big ten doormat unfortunately.
If we would have hired an offensive minded head coach(what has shown to historically work for us) from a smaller school and it didn’t work out, you can live with that hire. At least you gave it a good shot. This hire was just so out of left field, you really wonder what they were thinking hiring him.

If we would have hired an offensive minded head coach(what has shown to historically work for us) from a smaller school and it didn’t work out, you can live with that hire. At least you gave it a good shot. This hire was just so out of left field, you really wonder what they were thinking hiring him.
Unfortunately at the time he may have been the best they could get.

Hazell might actually be better. And yes, it shows pretty clearly that the vetting process failed miserably.

It's also ridiculous to think that we could not have gotten someone with more experience. I'm definitely not advocating for older coaches like Les Miles or Mack Brown who are past their prime.

But a decent MAC or Sun Belt coach would leap at the chance to take triple their salary (more or less). And they'd have at least some staff to bring with them. Tiller was lightning in a bottle, but there are plenty of coaches who would at least be competent at even basic stuff.

I was willing to give the hire a chance because I wanted Walters to succeed. It's pretty clear now that the players at Illinois made his system work and not the other way around. Cut our losses by the end of the season (assuming nothing changes) and let the new coach recruit to his needs.

Hazell might actually be better. And yes, it shows pretty clearly that the vetting process failed miserably.

It's also ridiculous to think that we could not have gotten someone with more experience. I'm definitely not advocating for older coaches like Les Miles or Mack Brown who are past their prime.

But a decent MAC or Sun Belt coach would leap at the chance to take triple their salary (more or less). And they'd have at least some staff to bring with them. Tiller was lightning in a bottle, but there are plenty of coaches who would at least be competent at even basic stuff.

I was willing to give the hire a chance because I wanted Walters to succeed. It's pretty clear now that the players at Illinois made his system work and not the other way around. Cut our losses by the end of the season (assuming nothing changes) and let the new coach recruit to his needs.
If things continue I would advocate for walters to be let go before the season is over. If Bobo isn't completely incompetent he should be putting together a list of replacements. You announce the new coach ASAP after the season is over. You get a jump on other universities looking for a coach, recruiting, staff building, etc.

If things continue I would advocate for walters to be let go before the season is over. If Bobo isn't completely incompetent he should be putting together a list of replacements. You announce the new coach ASAP after the season is over. You get a jump on other universities looking for a coach, recruiting, staff building, etc.
Sooner they announce the better, might be best way to keep high school players committed , and stop a big exodus to the portal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT