ADVERTISEMENT

Dane Fife Return To Being A Loosier

Come on, Fife did not get anyone out of Ft. Wayne...Izzo got guys...Fife may have been involved, but, it is not as if it had been Stephens or Garland had recruited the same guys that the results would have been any different.

And, for what it is worth...let me know who from the Izzo tree of coaches has gone on to succeed. The crazy thing is, the most successful may be Crean.
He was listed as the lead recruit - we can debate the technicalities what that exactly means. I mean Painter is involved with everyone that comes to Purdue but we can see that there are relationships/allegiances made with the assistants that clearly mean a lot - see Jameel Brown. I honestly don't know who was responsible for Malik and JJJ picking MSU over Purdue. I am sure Tom turned on the water works and gave his talk about the FlintStones.....blah blah blah.

As for Izzo's assistants and their success - not a lot of people setting the world on fire. Outside of Cuonzo, who is really tearing it up from Painter's tree?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
He was listed as the lead recruit - we can debate the technicalities what that exactly means. I mean Painter is involved with everyone that comes to Purdue but we can see that there are relationships/allegiances made with the assistants that clearly mean a lot - see Jameel Brown. I honestly don't know who was responsible for Malik and JJJ picking MSU over Purdue. I am sure Tom turned on the water works and gave his talk about the FlintStones.....blah blah blah.

As for Izzo's assistants and their success - not a lot of people setting the world on fire. Outside of Cuonzo, who is really tearing it up from Painter's tree?
Not debating the Izzo/Painter tree success...Painter is much younger, but, I am just pointing out that nobody from Izzo aside of Crean that I can think of has gone on to do anything anywhere.

I am sure that he was the lead recruiter, and, he obviously was involved, but, I am confident that it was the least important factor in either guy committing to MSU. Izzo has dominated in Indiana/Indianapolis for years...well before Fife...and, he will continue to do well after Fife.

Ultimately, Dane Fife's name had not come up in conversation for any other job...and it was unlikely to...I am not saying he is an awful coach or anything close...but, I am not of the opinion that he is any sort of savior by any means either...not like he did anything to make MSU overly special, and, I doubt that he will do anything of significance at IU either is all that I am saying.

Painter is well respected and his coaching tree is larger because you know those guys aren’t going to embarrass the university off the court. Burke and Bobinski don’t have to worry about anything when it comes to men’s basketball. A lot of ADs don’t have that and it costs them their jobs.

Not debating the Izzo/Painter tree success...Painter is much younger, but, I am just pointing out that nobody from Izzo aside of Crean that I can think of has gone on to do anything anywhere.

I am sure that he was the lead recruiter, and, he obviously was involved, but, I am confident that it was the least important factor in either guy committing to MSU. Izzo has dominated in Indiana/Indianapolis for years...well before Fife...and, he will continue to do well after Fife.

Ultimately, Dane Fife's name had not come up in conversation for any other job...and it was unlikely to...I am not saying he is an awful coach or anything close...but, I am not of the opinion that he is any sort of savior by any means either...not like he did anything to make MSU overly special, and, I doubt that he will do anything of significance at IU either is all that I am saying.
i think they’ll get a 1-2 yr recruiting boost because of the changes similar to Archie’s first few years. If results aren’t apparent on court then rinse and repeat.

There is a website out there that has coaching tree info. Totally forgot Crean was on Izzo’s staff.

i think they’ll get a 1-2 yr recruiting boost because of the changes similar to Archie’s first few years. If results aren’t apparent on court then rinse and repeat.

There is a website out there that has coaching tree info. Totally forgot Crean was on Izzo’s staff.
Recruiting is not the issue though...it is not as if they have not had success recruiting...regardless of who the coach was/is...they get guys (like Galloway) that will go there regardless...that has been the case for years, and, will likely always be the case.

They got the last 3 Mr. Basketball's...and, they will tell you (incorrectly) that it would have been Lander this year, and, 4 consecutive.

That is not the issue...and it won't be.

Recruiting is not the issue though...it is not as if they have not had success recruiting...regardless of who the coach was/is...they get guys (like Galloway) that will go there regardless...that has been the case for years, and, will likely always be the case.

They got the last 3 Mr. Basketball's...and, they will tell you (incorrectly) that it would have been Lander this year, and, 4 consecutive.

That is not the issue...and it won't be.
That’s true - says a lot about last years class when Leal was Mr Basketball. IUStar would have tried their best to give it to Landers but with Furst and Trey both winning state titles, it would have been a tough sell.

Well his first success can be getting Keion Brooks. Not sure folks saw but there is a guy on Twitter stirring the pot that he will be entering the portal.

That’s true - says a lot about last years class when Leal was Mr Basketball. IUStar would have tried their best to give it to Landers but with Furst and Trey both winning state titles, it would have been a tough sell.

Well his first success can be getting Keion Brooks. Not sure folks saw but there is a guy on Twitter stirring the pot that he will be entering the portal.

Brooks never did anything at UK...and, his situation there was much better than it will be at IU...everybody said that was where he allegedly wanted to go to begin with...I don't understand it, but, I don't understand a lot of other guys wanting to be there either. If he could not play or develop at UK, I am hard pressed to believe that taking a step down and back is going to fix things.

The deal is....players don't come to Meetchicken or IU or PU to play for an assistant coach. Izzo calls, says I'm sending my assistant over to watch you, and I'm very interested in you playing for MSU and me. Fife might be the worst hire IU has made since Mike Davis.

Twin I know you said Lewis turned IU down to stay at UCLA. Where did you hear that info?
He said in an interview I read he had no desire to return to IU. My guess, he's going to get a HC position this year or next. Much better than FIfe overall. Lot's of good coaches have hired him....Fife had Davis and Izzo to learn from.

Just as Woody was the third or fourth choice for HC at IU, Fife wasn't the first choice for AC position.

Twin I know you said Lewis turned IU down to stay at UCLA. Where did you hear that info?
It doesn't really matter if it happened or not. Lewis is at a better program at UCLA. It's pretty clear Cronin has things going in the right direction in year 2. So why would Lewis want to come back to IU as an assistant for a multi-year rebuild when he can coach in Southern California while they build a national championship contender? And then move on to a head coaching job from there.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Brooks never did anything at UK...and, his situation there was much better than it will be at IU...everybody said that was where he allegedly wanted to go to begin with...I don't understand it, but, I don't understand a lot of other guys wanting to be there either. If he could not play or develop at UK, I am hard pressed to believe that taking a step down and back is going to fix things.
Sad that IU fans are getting worked up over a kid who who couldn’t hack it at UK.

Reactions: Purdue85
The deal is....players don't come to Meetchicken or IU or PU to play for an assistant coach. Izzo calls, says I'm sending my assistant over to watch you, and I'm very interested in you playing for MSU and me. Fife might be the worst hire IU has made since Mike Davis.
You think Davis was a worse hire than Sampson or Little Archie?

Didn't they have another alum who got into trouble for grooming......
images

Sampson can coach. Davis rode Knight's kids. Miller....I have no idea what happened to him though they were set to make the dance last year which would have surely given him a couple more.
Sampson burned the program to the ground. Little Archie was an unmitigated disaster. At least Davis went to an NC title game.

Sad that IU fans are getting worked up over a kid who who couldn’t hack it at UK.
I'm not sure, if he can't hack it. If he stays then it says he can. Also, IU has always recruited good, but the difference is most college teams they face still have the same coach. As long as we have Painter..we'll be fine.

Sampson burned the program to the ground. Little Archie was an unmitigated disaster. At least Davis went to an NC title game.
What happened after Knight's kids departed? This is gospel....I knew a lot of the players, their parents and grandparents during the latter Knight years and still friends with many today. One of those players told me AS GOSPEL that during a game Davis had no clue and asked this player what he should do. He really isn't much of a coach....even in bitty schools today.

This may be the dumbest post I’ve ever seen. An assistant coach for a decade under the most successful program in the conference? The WORST hire? My God...Especially with all the HC hires Indiana has had over the last 20 years 😂
Worse than Sampson. Worse than Crean. Worse than Lil' Arch. He's done nothing at the only HC job he has ever had. Sorry, but he is the dumbest hire other than maybe Arch keeping Mike Roberts.

what are you talking about? There's virtually zero chatter about Brooks on BTB or IU Rivals. There was one lone thread on Rivals, started days ago, based on this tweet and no one bought it, or expressed any interest in the story being true. There's more talk about "Brooks to IU" on your site here. And that twitter 'story' is just troll bait. Been way too many of them over the past few weeks.

Kinda feel bad for the kid....don't think he's nearly as good as Daddy believes.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
what are you talking about? There's virtually zero chatter about Brooks on BTB or IU Rivals. There was one lone thread on Rivals, started days ago, based on this tweet and no one bought it, or expressed any interest in the story being true. There's more talk about "Brooks to IU" on your site here. And that twitter 'story' is just troll bait. Been way too many of them over the past few weeks.

Kinda feel bad for the kid....don't think he's nearly as good as Daddy believes.
I scrolled that guy's feed and he seems like a random shock jock type.

He has certainly not lived up to his recruiting ranking

I do believe there was chatter within the IU brotheren. Also, a kid that plays with a bunch of 5*'s and does fairly well even after in injury or would you like the player that has never progressed in 2 yrs at IU. Stats can be very deceiving....don't fall for it.

Looks like a good move to me by the Hoosiers. Solidify fan and Knight support by hiring Woodson, bring the AD along with Matta, succession plan with Fife. That looks like a 3 pronged approach that will bring Hoosier Nation together. Glad Painter has a head start!

Agreed. Marge committed back today along with someone else. With Davis coming back and if they get the big center back they could be decent. Putting a nice staff together.
Won't surprise me if they get a highly ranked group of transfers and recruits.

Worse than Sampson. Worse than Crean. Worse than Lil' Arch. He's done nothing at the only HC job he has ever had. Sorry, but he is the dumbest hire other than maybe Arch keeping Mike Roberts.
I know that won/loss record as a head coach isn’t everything, but Fife as a head coach at IUFW:

Took over a 7-22 team, then in successive seasons went:
  • 10-18
  • 12-17
  • 13-18
  • 13-17
  • 16-15
  • 18-12
Then off to MSU. Not hall of fame head coaching numbers, but I would suggest not a failure. At all.

Reactions: BTBall

Painter would shit his pants to have Fife replace Lutz...Seriously cut it out with the hyperbole. Plus he’s an assistant...in no possible way could an assistant be worse than Sampson or Miller. Book Richardson and Chuck Person getting caught paying family members barely affected those programs because it wasn’t the HC that got pinched. My god think before you post sometimes

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider
What happened after Knight's kids departed? This is gospel....I knew a lot of the players, their parents and grandparents during the latter Knight years and still friends with many today. One of those players told me AS GOSPEL that during a game Davis had no clue and asked this player what he should do. He really isn't much of a coach....even in bitty schools today.
He had a really good run at Texas Southern.

REALLY good run. 6 years. 1st in conference 4 years, 2nd in conference the other 2.

Should have never left.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Not sure if anyone caught Barney on Dakich today. Admittedly, I didn’t listen to the entire interview but Izzo seemed to encourage Barney’s return. After listening, I was a little nauseated at the homer coming out in Dakich. I don’t get it. I get Sampson, Clappy, and the leprechaun were all dumpster fires, but does everyone truly believe Woody is going to be substantially better?

Not sure if anyone caught Barney on Dakich today. Admittedly, I didn’t listen to the entire interview but Izzo seemed to encourage Barney’s return. After listening, I was a little nauseated at the homer coming out in Dakich. I don’t get it. I get Sampson, Clappy, and the leprechaun were all dumpster fires, but does everyone truly believe Woody is going to be substantially better?
Not outside of the IU bubble.

The story I am hearing is that Fife is the Associate HC, preparing to take over after a couple of years because of Woodson's age.

If I thought that the IU administration was capable of a plan, I would think they were playing the long game where they are willing to establish some pride in the program with Woodson before turning it over to Fife. And they are willing to go through a few years of mediocre recruiting because recruits want to know who they will be playing for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT