ADVERTISEMENT

Cryptocurrencies - Invest now?

There are some BTC ETFs out there now. Kinda wanna short em. :p

That's the concern with the BTC futures available soon. It wouldn't be too difficult for a few big investment firms to take out some shorts then cause a panic/crash by selling a ton of BTC they've accumulated the past several weeks.

That's the concern with the BTC futures available soon. It wouldn't be too difficult for a few big investment firms to take out some shorts then cause a panic/crash by selling a ton of BTC they've accumulated the past several weeks.

Yup, ish about to get real real.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
unfortunately bitcoins ballooning fees have reduced its currency use/concept.

thankfully there are many other cryptos to still avoid fiat currency

If Bitcoin crashes, I'll buy more. No emotions here. Personally, I would like to see it at $100 for 1.0. Count me in for ten and I will ride the next wave. But like I said in an earlier comment, it makes good sense with a few purchases I make.

lol...you guys still dont get it.
Genuinely curious: what is it that I don’t “get”? I’ve done quite a bit of reading on BTC and Blockchain. One of those seems like a viable investment possibility, and the other is pure speculation. You’ve made a good chunk on that speculation, and I’m genuinely happy for you about that, but it doesn’t change the fundamentals behind your “investment”.

Genuinely curious: what is it that I don’t “get”? I’ve done quite a bit of reading on BTC and Blockchain. One of those seems like a viable investment possibility, and the other is pure speculation. You’ve made a good chunk on that speculation, and I’m genuinely happy for you about that, but it doesn’t change the fundamentals behind your “investment”.
ill give a quick question, why would you invest in a btc etf? when the answer is that doesnt make any sense, then maybe youll get it. im not even really invested in it. i just happened to have 150 dollars in it at a good time. i was never trying to invest in it, but the op was asking about it from an investment perspective and ive tried to detail why its different and what makes it viable long term. this is the first true international fiat cryptocurrency free of banking/national ownership and you guys are comparing it to tulip bulbs...honestly.

ill give a quick question, why would you invest in a btc etf? when the answer is that doesnt make any sense, then maybe youll get it. im not even really invested in it. i just happened to have 150 dollars in it at a good time. i was never trying to invest in it, but the op was asking about it from an investment perspective and ive tried to detail why its different and what makes it viable long term. this is the first true international fiat cryptocurrency free of banking/national ownership and you guys are comparing it to tulip bulbs...honestly.
That didn't even remotely answer my question. What makes you think the "first true international fiat cryptocurrency free of banking/national ownership" makes it viable for the long term? You realize there are literally infinite possibilities to replace BTC, I assume. You recognize that because it is free of national backing, it also cannot be insured against loss. You are in it with everyone else, and - God forbid - some hacker gets your 6 BTC, there is no recourse for you to recover it.

So I ask again, what makes you think that "this time is different?" You've been alive long enough to see "this time is different" collapse right around the time people are claiming that whatever "it" is is mainstream. BTC is following a perfect classic irrational bubble pattern, perhaps even more accelerated. So, what, in your opinion, makes it different?

I know what it is. I want to know why you think it is viable long term. You either can answer that question, or you can't.

these are just nonsense comments. no one replaces my cash if i lose it. its viable because it actually is different. you are watching the birth of a new kind of currency that doesnt play by the old rules, not an irrational bubble. its viable long term for several reasons. tight control of the supply unlike the dollar or any national currency for that matter, unregulated international transfer, anonymous, value will settle down as adoption widens and diversifies. you are comparing an emerging and naturally deflationary btc with a highly inflationary and long established asset in the dollar. i dont understand why you are so defensive. no one is making you participate and ive been nothing but spot on. btc will go up in value until there is no demand and i dont envision a short term reason for that occuring. btc has massive appeal in countries with untrustworthy currency mgmt and its easier to get btc than usd. you think its a bubble now? wait until the market takes a dip!

these are just nonsense comments. no one replaces my cash if i lose it. its viable because it actually is different. you are watching the birth of a new kind of currency that doesnt play by the old rules, not an irrational bubble. its viable long term for several reasons. tight control of the supply unlike the dollar or any national currency for that matter, unregulated international transfer, anonymous, value will settle down as adoption widens and diversifies. you are comparing an emerging and naturally deflationary btc with a highly inflationary and long established asset in the dollar. i dont understand why you are so defensive. no one is making you participate and ive been nothing but spot on. btc will go up in value until there is no demand and i dont envision a short term reason for that occuring. btc has massive appeal in countries with untrustworthy currency mgmt and its easier to get btc than usd. you think its a bubble now? wait until the market takes a dip!
I don't understand the currency part with the volatility being so great. Who will take this currency with the bitcoin value moving hundreds of dollars a day up and down?

Uh, only one of us is being defensive. I’m legitimately interested in why you think it is viable long term and why it is not demonstrating classic public bubble behavior right now... essentially why this time is different.

I don’t think the supply is limited. Supply of BTC is, of course, but there is no limit to the number of similar algorithms that can be used to create similar currencies. There are already hundreds of them gaining popularity, thought BTC is the first mover. I think as BTC continues to demonstrate volatility and price escalation, coming with an inevitable crash at some point, litecoin, ethereum, and other Blockchain currencies will gain momentum, which will necessarily devalue BTC.

Of course if someone takes cash from your wallet, you don’t get it back. But most people keep the bulk of their cash assets in federally insured banks. No e wallet offers that, reference the man who just had 4200 BTC stolen by hackers this past week.

I think there isn’t good long term investment potential in companies developing the P2P market place and working with Blockchain. I don’t think BTC is destined to grow to infinity. I am glad your speculation has worked out for you, and again hope you are able to consolidate your gains.

Uh, only one of us is being defensive. I’m legitimately interested in why you think it is viable long term and why it is not demonstrating classic public bubble behavior right now... essentially why this time is different.

I don’t think the supply is limited. Supply of BTC is, of course, but there is no limit to the number of similar algorithms that can be used to create similar currencies. There are already hundreds of them gaining popularity, thought BTC is the first mover. I think as BTC continues to demonstrate volatility and price escalation, coming with an inevitable crash at some point, litecoin, ethereum, and other Blockchain currencies will gain momentum, which will necessarily devalue BTC.

Of course if someone takes cash from your wallet, you don’t get it back. But most people keep the bulk of their cash assets in federally insured banks. No e wallet offers that, reference the man who just had 4200 BTC stolen by hackers this past week.

I think there isn’t good long term investment potential in companies developing the P2P market place and working with Blockchain. I don’t think BTC is destined to grow to infinity. I am glad your speculation has worked out for you, and again hope you are able to consolidate your gains.
If adoption is increasing and diversifying, it's not a bubble, it's just normal growth. Price is driven by demand. There's not anything artificial that I've seen that could be responsible for the growth over the past years.
Other currencies don't necessarily devalue btc. There are things btc can do that others can't, and vis a versa. As long as btc demand grows too, the other currencies won't necessarily effect it.
As for security and insurance, it's getting better. You still have to be careful about which machines you access your wallets from and make sure they don't have any malware. I keep a tiny vm around that I only turn on to access my wallets and then shut it down. My wired and wireless networks don't touch and I keep the vm on the wired one. You can also put the private keys in "cold storage" and there are hardware wallets too. Most of the major exchanges will refund you if the problem was on their end.
As for peak btc, I've read many papers on its theoretical maximum. I've seen very well reasoned arguments for 100k-200k a coin based on economic activity.

If adoption is increasing and diversifying, it's not a bubble, it's just normal growth. Price is driven by demand. There's not anything artificial that I've seen that could be responsible for the growth over the past years.
Other currencies don't necessarily devalue btc. There are things btc can do that others can't, and vis a versa. As long as btc demand grows too, the other currencies won't necessarily effect it.
As for security and insurance, it's getting better. You still have to be careful about which machines you access your wallets from and make sure they don't have any malware. I keep a tiny vm around that I only turn on to access my wallets and then shut it down. My wired and wireless networks don't touch and I keep the vm on the wired one. You can also put the private keys in "cold storage" and there are hardware wallets too. Most of the major exchanges will refund you if the problem was on their end.
As for peak btc, I've read many papers on its theoretical maximum. I've seen very well reasoned arguments for 100k-200k a coin based on economic activity.
I don't think there's necessarily anything artificial about the growth until about two weeks ago. Now? It's a public bubble, IMO. Many of the drivers for the pricing surge aren't people wanting to diversify it's use. It's been driven by exposure via things like the Netflix documentary, where people are buying it as pure speculation. My guess as to the way this ends is with the price back down around where it was in, say October, either that, or a government regulation from some major mover - China would be my guess - forbidding transactions by legitimate entities within its borders. I think it's really as simple as that as to what's going to turn BTC on its head. No one can regulate the currency, per se, but no one necessarily has to legitimize and accept it, either. We'll see - good luck.

2017 Most Annoying Internet Trends.

1. People spouting about BitCoin.
2. See 1
3. See 1
4. See 1
5. See 1
6. See 1
7. See 1
8. See 1
9. Lena Dunham
10. Chelsea Handler

Reactions: Beeazlebub
2017 Most Annoying Internet Trends.

1. People spouting about BitCoin.
2. See 1
3. See 1
4. See 1
5. See 1
6. See 1
7. See 1
8. See 1
9. Lena Dunham
10. Chelsea Handler
people complaining about threads via snarky lists should give the 1 spot a run.

So, the point here is that you were lucky. As I said, I hope you consolidate your gains. A lot of people caught up in the exuberance are taking a bath.

And I call BS.
Total portfolio balance is $3,408,709.49 with about half of that being in a NASDAQ 100 no load mutual fund.

I did that on an Army officer's salary simply by investing all my spare change in the stock market beginning circa 1980. I continued investing after retiring from the Army in 2003 and began working in industry. I retired from that job on Dec 31, 2017.

During the 37 years I've been in the market, 2017 was the best by far.

Hopefully you don't have anything to worry about here, but one of the main rules on the crypto forums is to never post your holdings - makes you a potential target for hackers/phishers/etc.

While it is admirable you were able to save a good amount, it is kind of strange to post it on a public forum...

Hopefully you don't have anything to worry about here, but one of the main rules on the crypto forums is to never post your holdings - makes you a potential target for hackers/phishers/etc.

While it is admirable you were able to save a good amount, it is kind of strange to post it on a public forum...
I was called out as a liar for posting that I made ~$150K between Dec 16 and Jan 26 and indeed, that was just a guess. I actually made $208,000 between those dates. However it was an unusually good month because Trump's tax cuts for corporations kicked in.

As far as hackers, hack away! That's for crypto losers to worry about.

Last edited:
Might not want to look at today's loss..
I bought mutual funds today, $3404 in USMIX right before the closing bell. I'll get the bargain price that it settles at this evening. That's all the cash I had availble to invest. Otherwise I would have invested more.

I'll continue posting my gains/losses for a month. I gained $208,000 last month (Dec 26-Jan 26) and unless this is the beginning of The Great Recession II, I will make money over the course of the two-month period.

It seems like everytime someone brags about there winnings a day like today happens. So, please don't do that again.
How did Bitcoin do today?

Look, I am not "bragging" about my "winnings" aka gains in the market. I am trying to convey to my Boiler buddies that the way to achieve financial security when you become old farts is to make regular investments in no-load, index-based mutual funds just like Warren Buffett tells you to do. And today was a great day to start investing.

Bitcoin and other cybercurriencies are Ponzi schemes. If you got in early, good for you. If you're getting in now, you are the fish.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT