ADVERTISEMENT

Cory Trice has come a long way

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
I'm not sure if you can say Brohm has a keen eye for secret talent. or if Cory followed somebody's advice and really got motivated to elevate his game to another level. In the early stages of his recruitment after his junior year, Cory was a low 3 * without much interest from any other power 5 school . Before he visited Purdue last December, he was not even ranked. his best other offers came from Bowling Green and Cincy. I'll admit I speculated here when Brohm was way over his recruitment scholarship commitments that Cory might be one of those players politely advised to sign elsewhere. There were other recruits last year that did politely de-commit and leave. Cory was one of Brohm's first commitments last year, committing in June.

Going into his senior year, Cory was not talked about much or thought about much. There were even several other much more heralded defensive backs in his Purdue class.
but then BOOM. It clicked in. And throughout his senior year, he continued to produce and improve. What was once an afterthought as a junior became a stud as a senior. and now his name is being mentioned as a possible starter, or at worst a significant contributor as a freshman. Something kicked in last Summer. a little motivation and desire. and sometimes that's all it takes.

As people look at Brohm's current recruiting class, there are again a couple of 2* and low 3 * players who have committed to Purdue. Many have speculated at the total number of scholarships available and if Brohm signs this player or that player or those players, that some of the existing lower end ranked recruits may decommit and go elsewhere. it's the reality of recruiting. But maybe there will be another unheralded lower rated recruit that will follow Cory's path and bust out their senior year as well. Those are the players I root for.

I wish Cory all the success in the world as he competes as a Boilermaker. In literary terms, and also Boilermaker related, he's the little engine that could. (ok, I admit, he's not so little) . Good luck this year Cory !

My guess is his ranking was more that he played in the middle of nowhere and for a small school than ability or performance.

My guess is his ranking was more that he played in the middle of nowhere and for a small school than ability or performance.

it very well could have been. there are 1,000's of players just like Cory who don't go to a bi g school or all the elite camps,, who only need a chance and an opportunity to prove their skills. and Holt and Brohm were the two that took the time to see those talents.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
Doesnt hurt that they probably knew of him from their time at WKU. Bowling Green is only and hour from Hopkinsville

not too many years ago, as I began to form/select my own teams (when I coached), I quickly learned how personalities can make and break your teams.

I also learned how you can get so much more out of people by pushing the proper buttons.

Coachability is YUGE.

Finding players with that "coachable spirit" is equally important.

If Brohm can find hungry 3-star players I think he'll take them ALL DAY LONG. And, not every player that says he's hungry really means it.

Reactions: Esox54547
Watching Trice's video it was obvious the dude could play. He looked like the biggest and fastest kid on the field every time. Even when he was rated two stars, I thought he was a must keep based on his video/potential. He was one of the players I listed as most intriguing. He has continued to get bigger and stronger as will be a nice piece going forward. He is further along than I expected though, which says a lot about his character and work ethic. I definitely expected him to be good, same with Alexander. Didn't expect either to be as impressive as they are this early.

Mackey is the player that impressed me the most. He was very good out of high school and had very high expectations (I thought he was the best player in that class). As a redshirt freshman, he is going to start and looks like the best (and it doesn't seem close) CB on the team. He had high expectations and he sure does appear to be living up to every one of them.

The coaching staff has done an amazing job at getting the right players and getting the most of them. It doesn't shock me one bit, based on what he accomplished at WKU. I really think Brohm is going to do special things with this '19 class.

Great thread. I really like these types of stories. Which reminds me. See if you can find a player profile anywhere on Rivals on Jackson Anthrop.

Reactions: Esox54547
Our defensive backfield with our young guys is going to a strength of our defense once they gain experience.

Our defensive backfield with our young guys is going to a strength of our defense once they gain experience.

The scary thing is the defensive backs are a strength in the '19 class too. Grant, Allen, and Beverly all have the ability to be stars. And Purdue is still in the running for Graham. There is going to be some serious compition amongst the defensive backs. Look for that to be a strength and a very deep position for a long time to come.

The scary thing is the defensive backs are a strength in the '19 class too. Grant, Allen, and Beverly all have the ability to be stars. And Purdue is still in the running for Graham. There is going to be some serious compition amongst the defensive backs. Look for that to be a strength and a very deep position for a long time to come.
Out of those guys and the current roster do you see anyone switching to linebacker based on size and frame to add the weight?

Out of those guys and the current roster do you see anyone switching to linebacker based on size and frame to add the weight?

Grant makes the most sense to switch to linebacker, but coach said he was keeping him at safety no matter what his weight gets up to. Ball is a DB that played some linebacker in camp already due to injuries, but he is more of a natural nickel/safety. Deen saw some looks at LB and with the wealth of Dline talent coming in the '19 class, it wouldn't shock me to see one of two of the DEs move to LB.

Of the DBs, it looks like Ball would be the first to move because he has already been moved out of need for a few practices. Of the new guys coming in, if coach keeps his word, Graham/Trice would probably be next to move (maybe not to LB full time but to a hybrid/tweener situation) because they are both so good, they should both be on the field as much as possible. That is also pure speculation. Holt may like the depth and want to keep them all at pure safety.

Mackey looks like he will be a leader early. JT is lining everybody up and Bailey is the best pure defender, but Mackey may be the third best/most important player on that defense (strong argument could be made for Neal though)... as a redshirt freshman. That's.... awesome. The future is in very good hands for that defense. I know Brohm is a guru on the offense, but he is building what could be the best defense Purdue has ever had. And yes, I am loving every second of it. Maybe we can get a W over OSU before coach Owen Four does. That would be a meltdown that I would enjoy having a front row seat for it.

Love these rangy physical guys in the defensive back field. With the proliferation of spread offenses, a 'plus size' 5 db package can be more effective than a traditional 4-3 with plodding LBs. The most common weapon teams have on offense is speed coming out of the backfield.

Can't wait see the young players flourish when they get out of the field.

Watching Trice's video it was obvious the dude could play. He looked like the biggest and fastest kid on the field every time. Even when he was rated two stars, I thought he was a must keep based on his video/potential. He was one of the players I listed as most intriguing. He has continued to get bigger and stronger as will be a nice piece going forward. He is further along than I expected though, which says a lot about his character and work ethic. I definitely expected him to be good, same with Alexander. Didn't expect either to be as impressive as they are this early.

Mackey is the player that impressed me the most. He was very good out of high school and had very high expectations (I thought he was the best player in that class). As a redshirt freshman, he is going to start and looks like the best (and it doesn't seem close) CB on the team. He had high expectations and he sure does appear to be living up to every one of them.

The coaching staff has done an amazing job at getting the right players and getting the most of them. It doesn't shock me one bit, based on what he accomplished at WKU. I really think Brohm is going to do special things with this '19 class.
Stick, was it you that said, on another thread that we will really like seeing Jaylan Alexander playing at LB? If I recall, you posted that a week, or so before camp even started. It looks, so far, that you made a really good call, at a position that we are arguably shortest in depth. And that ties in well with this post, as well. Boiler Up.

Stick, was it you that said, on another thread that we will really like seeing Jaylan Alexander playing at LB? If I recall, you posted that a week, or so before camp even started. It looks, so far, that you made a really good call, at a position that we are arguably shortest in depth. And that ties in well with this post, as well. Boiler Up.

It was me. Thank you for noticing and crediting me. Even I didn't expect day 1 camp reps with the first team, but I could tell he would have an impact. He was one of my favorite incoming players. Hope he continues to impress once the season starts! Not sure he starts day one once everybody gets healthy, but he certainly is making a case for it.

It was me. Thank you for noticing and crediting me. Even I didn't expect day 1 camp reps with the first team, but I could tell he would have an impact. He was one of my favorite incoming players. Hope he continues to impress once the season starts! Not sure he starts day one once everybody gets healthy, but he certainly is making a case for it.
So, back to the Safety's. The GB Illustrated has the 1's as Mosley and Thieneman. Do you see Trice coming along strongly enough to start sometime; and does he come in at Strong S, or Free? I ask because I'm genuinely excited to see the freshman, like Alexander, do well, this early.

So, back to the Safety's. The GB Illustrated has the 1's as Mosley and Thieneman. Do you see Trice coming along strongly enough to start sometime; and does he come in at Strong S, or Free? I ask because I'm genuinely excited to see the freshman, like Alexander, do well, this early.
He wont dislodge Thieneman. If Mosley has a bad start to the year or is required to move to nickel, i wouldn't be surprised to see Trice or one of the RS Fr step in.

He wont dislodge Thieneman. If Mosley has a bad start to the year or is required to move to nickel, i wouldn't be surprised to see Trice or one of the RS Fr step in.

The nice thing is that if the refs call an awful targeting penalty on Thieneman, we have some depth behind him.

I agree that Thieneman isn't going anywhere. Trice will likely be special teams to start and then I would guess he is the number 3 safety at this point. If Mosley gets moved to Nickel, then that would push Trice into playing time much quicker. I think CJB and Holt really do love what they have in the defensive backfield. I am sure they will spice things up and get the most out of their roster.

Step one: beat the tar out of Northwestern in a statement game.

Okay, the only RS Fr Safety that I'm aware of is Jacob Abrams. Anyone else? I don't see any other true freshman besides Cory Trice.

After watching his game highlights last year he became one of my favourite recruits. Our coaches want size and he has it along with speed. You can’t teach that and additionally his wingspan to cover a field. Great signing getting him here to campus.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
Great thread. I really like these types of stories. Which reminds me. See if you can find a player profile anywhere on Rivals on Jackson Anthrop.

Jackson told me, "I didn't even get any other offers than Purdue's. Not from Indiana State, not even from Trine!"

Amazing considering Jackson beat many of Danny's high school records, and we all know what Danny did here!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT