ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Drew Bree's....

I often wonder, How dumb was San Diego letting him go so that Rivers could replace him? That has to rank right up there with Boston trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees as the biggest bonehead decision of all time!

I often wonder, How dumb was San Diego letting him go so that Rivers could replace him? That has to rank right up there with Boston trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees as the biggest bonehead decision of all time!

It's easyeas say that in hindsight. But look at their POV at that time. You got a QB who just tore his shoulder so badly that even doctors said he probably won't ever play again. And then you have a young QB in Rivers, who has great potential, big bodies, physical, durable, great leadership, etc. I think 99% of teams make the same decision the Chargers see. And, it's not like Rivers is a bad QB. The guy is a really good QB.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I would say that the only thing that Rivers had that compares to Drew is his competitiveness . I remember the football talking heads making the same argument at the time and thinking are these guys crazy? But then again I believed at that time that Drew was a special talent.

Then again the only football I've ever played was fantasy and Drew was my # 1 pick every year .

It's easyeas say that in hindsight. But look at their POV at that time. You got a QB who just tore his shoulder so badly that even doctors said he probably won't ever play again. And then you have a young QB in Rivers, who has great potential, big bodies, physical, durable, great leadership, etc. I think 99% of teams make the same decision the Chargers see. And, it's not like Rivers is a bad QB. The guy is a really good QB.
Best thing that ever happened to Drew was getting out of SD. Rivers is a good QB and because I am a stat guy I looked it up this morning. Rivers stats are not quite as good as Drew's but Drew has also played with better players. SD has been a train wreck for a long time. Remember the Manning issue? there was no way Archie was going to let his son play there.

Living down here close to N.O. DB is a god to football fans of South Louisiana. I doubt he ever leaves.

You've got to keep in mind, Drew was a solid NFL QB, but wasn't exactly setting the world on fire at that time.

What made it worse, Drew was Marty Schottenheimer's guy, while the SD GM was pushing for Philip Rivers.

Drew was hurt in a meaningless final game of the season. Marty was gone after that game. The GM used Drew's injury to make the move he wanted.

So, between the severity of the injury, and the fact Drew no longer had an advocate in his camp, he was sent packing.

I had forgotten until the announcers mentioned in the previous game...
that saban (Miami dolphins) tried to sign him then, but he didnt pass the physical due to his shoulder.

Yes and they signed Dante Culpepper instead. The question they posed last night and what has been posed many times over the years was whether Alabama would be what they are if Drew had passed his physical with the Dolphins.

San Diego's move was pretty obvious at the time. They had a high pick and Brees was not necessarily 100%. If I remember correctly they had just gotten a new GM as well. Might have been Bobby Beatherd before? Whoever the previous GM was he was pro-Brees and had drafted him. I actually remember calling into a Chicago radio show at the end of Brees' non-playing rookie year and the GM was very high on his prospects. Funny thing is I actually remember where I was when I got on the radio - driving on the Dan Ryan. 16 years ago or whatever.

Rivers is an excellent quarterback. He's not a winner like Brees but he is excellent.

Then again the only football I've ever played was fantasy and Drew was my # 1 pick every year .

Amazingly, in my main fantasy league that I've been in since 2002, even though it's a 2-QB start league, I have never had him. It just never worked out that way for one reason or another.

When Brees went down, Rivers was in his 3rd season with SD, if memory serves.

He is a good QB, not what I would call "excellent."

A high, high quality individual, no doubt. One I'd go to the mat for, if he was on my team, but (as an impartial observer), not one for whom I'd choose to use my "excellent" label.

Yes and they signed Dante Culpepper instead. The question they posed last night and what has been posed many times over the years was whether Alabama would be what they are if Drew had passed his physical with the Dolphins.

San Diego's move was pretty obvious at the time. They had a high pick and Brees was not necessarily 100%. If I remember correctly they had just gotten a new GM as well. Might have been Bobby Beatherd before? Whoever the previous GM was he was pro-Brees and had drafted him. I actually remember calling into a Chicago radio show at the end of Brees' non-playing rookie year and the GM was very high on his prospects. Funny thing is I actually remember where I was when I got on the radio - driving on the Dan Ryan. 16 years ago or whatever.

Rivers is an excellent quarterback. He's not a winner like Brees but he is excellent.
And the rest is history. Drew did not do bad at San Diego. They chose Rivers as they thought the injury was risky. Don't think Rivers will be HOF.

A high, high quality individual, no doubt. One I'd go to the mat for, if he was on my team, but (as an impartial observer), not one for whom I'd choose to use my "excellent" label.

I live in Denver but I'm a bears fan and after watching craploads of AFC West games I can confidently say P. Shivers is the kind of guy I would cheer against even if he graduated from my university. Almost diametrically opposed to Brees.

My relatives in San Diego think Rivers is an ass too. Drew got lucky his injury sent him to a different franchise.

Reactions: mathboy

I would say Rivers is “excellent” but not “great”, like Drew is. But the trade looked better at the time, as I don’t think any QB had ever made a complete recovery from that shoulder injury before.

I would say Rivers is “excellent” but not “great”, like Drew is. But the trade looked better at the time, as I don’t think any QB had ever made a complete recovery from that shoulder injury before.

To each his own, I guess. It's semantics.

I like the guy, but my guess us Rivers will go down in NFL history as another long-term QB with no remarkable accomplishments. I don't consider that "excellent" or "great," but I'd still take him on my team.

To each his own, I guess. It's semantics.

I like the guy, but my guess us Rivers will go down in NFL history as another long-term QB with no remarkable accomplishments. I don't consider that "excellent" or "great," but I'd still take him on my team.
I put him in the Romo/Eli/Big Ben/Matt Ryan tier. Unfortunately for Philip, he hasn’t been on very talented teams, except for his first couple years as the starter.

I put him in the Romo/Eli/Big Ben/Matt Ryan tier. Unfortunately for Philip, he hasn’t been on very talented teams, except for his first couple years as the starter.

This is an interesting conversation.

I'd put him on the level of a Romo, but certainly not Eli, Ben or Matt Ryan, only because of post-season results. Rivers has yet to see a Super Bowl game.

Eli has been in, what, 2 Super Bowls, and was MVP of one? Ben has won 2 Super Bowls, Matt Ryan has been to one.

Granted, getting to the SB is a team effort, but that's one thing that haunted Elway for many years. And, the fact Marino only made one was always a negative on his resume. (No, I'm not comparing Rivers to Elway or Marino, just using them to make a point.)

Regardless, I still think Rivers is a solid QB.

This is an interesting conversation.

I'd put him on the level of a Romo, but certainly not Eli, Ben or Matt Ryan, only because of post-season results. Rivers has yet to see a Super Bowl game.

Eli has been in, what, 2 Super Bowls, and was MVP of one? Ben has won 2 Super Bowls, Matt Ryan has been to one.

Granted, getting to the SB is a team effort, but that's one thing that haunted Elway for many years. And, the fact Marino only made one was always a negative on his resume. (No, I'm not comparing Rivers to Elway or Marino, just using them to make a point.)

Regardless, I still think Rivers is a solid QB.
Yeah I tend to think Super Bowls are a LITTLE overrated as far as a way of grading QBs. Organizations win championships- look no further than Eli and Big Ben winning 2 each with great organizations, whereas Romo and Rivers got stuck with Mickey Mouse operations. And as a Cowboys fan, it pains me to say that.

I mean look at the Colts: you could put Elway in his prime on that team, and he wouldn’t of won Jack the last three or four years with that offensive line.

But on second thought, I might put Matt Ryan a half notch above the other three guys.

Yeah I tend to think Super Bowls are a LITTLE overrated as far as a way of grading QBs. Organizations win championships- look no further than Eli and Big Ben winning 2 each with great organizations, whereas Romo and Rivers got stuck with Mickey Mouse operations. And as a Cowboys fan, it pains me to say that.

I mean look at the Colts: you could put Elway in his prime on that team, and he wouldn’t of won Jack the last three or four years with that offensive line.

But on second thought, I might put Matt Ryan a half notch above the other three guys.

I'll elaborate on Rivers: I think his performance and skill set is there, I don't think his preparation is there.

In the NFL, preparation is what separates men from boys. It's what separated Manning(both), Brady, Brees (et al) from others. They didn't have more talent, they had better habits.

While it's true Super Bowls reflect organizations, that organization will only go as far as the QB permits, with RARE exception. (Trent Dilfer and the Ravens might be one example, although I think Trent doesn't get enough credit for what he did to manage and lead that team.)

I'll elaborate on Rivers: I think his performance and skill set is there, I don't think his preparation is there.

In the NFL, preparation is what separates men from boys. It's what separated Manning(both), Brady, Brees (et al) from others. They didn't have more talent, they had better habits.

While it's true Super Bowls reflect organizations, that organization will only go as far as the QB permits, with RARE exception. (Trent Dilfer and the Ravens might be one example, although I think Trent doesn't get enough credit for what he did to manage and lead that team.)
I agree with your statement about preparation. However, Brees has one other skill. He is far more accurate than most pro quarterbacks. His receivers don't always run he right routes, or make the catches, but Brees will put the ball in the right place throw after throw. He is probably one of the most accurate throwers in the history of the league.

I agree with your statement about preparation. However, Brees has one other skill. He is far more accurate than most pro quarterbacks. His receivers don't always run he right routes, or make the catches, but Brees will put the ball in the right place throw after throw. He is probably one of the most accurate throwers in the history of the league.

Correct, and that was demonstrated very early in his career with some of the skills competitions on TV.

With that said, I do think he has different habits since 2006 (post-injury).

As an example of what I'm talking about, check out a youtube video on Drew's offseason workouts.

I know this video is about Drew, but he's with other NFL players (Aaron Rodgers is one). Drew is pretty much all business, and at about 25:15 Aaron Rodgers is jacking around, and Drew seems really annoyed. I know it's anecdotal, but there's every indication this is who Drew Brees is.

So... you combine skills, work ethic and preparation, and THAT is what separates the top QBs from others.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT