ADVERTISEMENT

Comment made by the CBS announcer regarding incoming recruit?

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Anyone hear the comment made by the CBS announcers regarding an "Edey replacement" HS recruit coming in next year?

Who is that?

Last edited:
Anyone hear the comment made by the CBS announcers regarding an "Edey replacement" HS recruit coming in next year?

Whi is that?

Daniel Jacobson. 7'2 center. Just google purdue recruits. Not as good as Catchings thhough, but Catching isnt a giant, just very, very good.

I believe he may eventually become a starter. Who knows? Maybe if he knows how to play defense, He’ll start as a freshman. Maybe TKR will be our starting 4 and Catchings will start at the 3. And Harris will play significant minutes.

What Purdue fans are not realizing is the 6 freshmen coming to Purdue next year are ALL awesome recruits. And they could ALL start for many Division 1 schools as freshmen. Heidi, Furst and Myles could also start for some division 1 college somewhere . Even Morton could start for somebody.

Purdue fans don’t realize just how good this team actually is. We are the #2 team in the NCAA, not just the mac or big west.

The recruits coming to Purdue are awesome players. It’s a very nice situation to be in. Just think how great Purdue would be next year if Jacobson was actually good enough to be our next starting center. Painter is not afraid to start freshmen over seniors if they are deserving. If Jacobson could beat out TKR and start? That’s not realistic. But just think how good we would be if it did happen! It happened for smith and Loyer. They both beat out experienced players to start. What if Jacobson and Catchings pulled off the same fete next year? Just think what our bench would be like!

Just think of having a bench next year of Heidi, Harris, Myles, Berg., and Furst. That bench would be better than most team’s starting 5.

Daniel Jacobsen

Daniel.jpg

I believe he may eventually become a starter. Who knows? Maybe if he knows how to play defense, He’ll start as a freshman. Maybe TKR will be our starting 4 and Catchings will start at the 3. And Harris will play significant minutes.

What Purdue fans are not realizing is the 6 freshmen coming to Purdue next year are ALL awesome recruits. And they could ALL start for many Division 1 schools as freshmen. Heidi, Furst and Myles could also start for some division 1 college somewhere . Even Morton could start for somebody.

Purdue fans don’t realize just how good this team actually is. We are the #2 team in the NCAA, not just the mac or big west.

The recruits coming to Purdue are awesome players. It’s a very nice situation to be in. Just think how great Purdue would be next year if Jacobson was actually good enough to be our next starting center. Painter is not afraid to start freshmen over seniors if they are deserving. If Jacobson could beat out TKR and start? That’s not realistic. But just think how good we would be if it did happen! It happened for smith and Loyer. They both beat out experienced players to start. What if Jacobson and Catchings pulled off the same fete next year? Just think what our bench would be like!

Just think of having a bench next year of Heidi, Harris, Myles, Berg., and Furst. That bench would be better than most team’s starting 5.
Great post, Wole! Remember it’s HeidE**

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I don't see myles going anywhere because playing against Kanon and harris every day in practice is going to make him a nba player I think myles thought he was going to go to Purdue stay a year and leave to the nba he has the talent to play in the nba but he has to learn to play defense

Reactions: Schnelk
I don't see myles going anywhere because playing against Kanon and harris every day in practice is going to make him a nba player I think myles thought he was going to go to Purdue stay a year and leave to the nba he has the talent to play in the nba but he has to learn to play defense
I think Myles gives it one more yr here, Gillis and Furst each have 1 more yr, guess who I hope stays? I think a good spot for Furst would be the MVC

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Dah Day
Jacobsen is still 16 yrs old. Reclassified so should be a Jr. He's really young therefore may not see much time next year. Could redshirt, but is very talented. He will be dominant inside and out.

Reactions: ChuckJr and Schnelk
I look at the future and I look at the past. In the future, I see Harris. In the past I see Newman. In the present I see Myles and Heide. What does their future hold? Someone will succeed and someone will fail. We all have our hopes and favorite players and speculations. But the reality is Loyer and Smith will remain starters for the next two years. And that leaves 3 players wanting to take Jones current spot.

Gillis may or not stick around. I would speculate because of our scholarship situation, He will be forced to leave or may be allowed to say as a grad assistant.

There are three very qualified players trying for one spot. In today’s college athletics and philosophy, when a player with NBA aspirations loses out, he usually leaves a program rather than staying around to be a bench player. It’s unfortunate but someone will lose out. very few talented players accept roles on the bench today.

What’s also unfortunate is today’s players don’t realize Villinova’s 6th man was a first round draft pick and has had a nice NBA career. But most players today don’t want to go that route.

The same applies to Jacobson, Gillis, Berg, Heide, Furst, TKR and Catchings. Two of those players will start. 5 will not.

I have no idea who will start next year, but I have confidence in Painter to Create the best possible team.

I look at the future and I look at the past. In the future, I see Harris. In the past I see Newman. In the present I see Myles and Heide. What does their future hold? Someone will succeed and someone will fail. We all have our hopes and favorite players and speculations. But the reality is Loyer and Smith will remain starters for the next two years. And that leaves 3 players wanting to take Jones current spot.

Gillis may or not stick around. I would speculate because of our scholarship situation, He will be forced to leave or may be allowed to say as a grad assistant.

There are three very qualified players trying for one spot. In today’s college athletics and philosophy, when a player with NBA aspirations loses out, he usually leaves a program rather than staying around to be a bench player. It’s unfortunate but someone will lose out. very few talented players accept roles on the bench today.

What’s also unfortunate is today’s players don’t realize Villinova’s 6th man was a first round draft pick and has had a nice NBA career. But most players today don’t want to go that route.

The same applies to Jacobson, Gillis, Berg, Heide, Furst, TKR and Catchings. Two of those players will start. 5 will not.

I have no idea who will start next year, but I have confidence in Painter to Create the best possible team.
Smith and Loyer start. TKR starts. If Gillis stays, I think he starts. Heide should start. Berg or Furst starts....unless Edey loves Purdue and the college life to come back. With NIL money, more players will be staying.

Catchings is 6’8…rumored to still be growing!

Thats a different conversation. I think Cathings as a top 30 recruit is under rated by some as I think he will be a phenom in college. I dont know as much as many on here, live out in AZ and just watched some film, but the kid is going to be special....but he is not a center or a monster center which is what the original post was talking about, lol

Not Burgess?

So in most years, Burgess is our top recruit and turns into a NBA prospect because Painter knows how to develop, and I still think Burgess could some day play in the NBA, he is a very, very good prospect.

But Catchings....man he might be the best prospect since Big Dog. I know Biggie was a McDonald All American, but his below the rim style made it tough for him in the NBA. Catchings will be a Big Ten stud, but his game will flourish in the NBA some day. Next years class is very good, maybe Painter's best class ever including the Baby Boilers class....maybe...that class was very good too.

But I am by no means a recruiting expert, i dont watch but the film available to all, and I am not local so i dont watch in person. Just a proud alumni who loves Painter, the program he runs and the type of kids he gets who seem to be both good athletes and good humans.

So in most years, Burgess is our top recruit and turns into a NBA prospect because Painter knows how to develop, and I still think Burgess could some day play in the NBA, he is a very, very good prospect.

But Catchings....man he might be the best prospect since Big Dog. I know Biggie was a McDonald All American, but his below the rim style made it tough for him in the NBA. Catchings will be a Big Ten stud, but his game will flourish in the NBA some day. Next years class is very good, maybe Painter's best class ever including the Baby Boilers class....maybe...that class was very good too.

But I am by no means a recruiting expert, i dont watch but the film available to all, and I am not local so i dont watch in person. Just a proud alumni who loves Painter, the program he runs and the type of kids he gets who seem to be both good athletes and good humans.
Right, Catchings is nearly a lock for the NBA. Likely only at Purdue 2 yrs. Slight chance of only 1 yr. Personally, I think Jacobsen and Harris both have a good chance to play in the NBA as well.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Hope NIL and enjoyment of college can keep some of these folks here a little longer. But I get it, $$$ talks.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Thats a different conversation. I think Cathings as a top 30 recruit is under rated by some as I think he will be a phenom in college. I dont know as much as many on here, live out in AZ and just watched some film, but the kid is going to be special....but he is not a center or a monster center which is what the original post was talking about, lol
Agree. Not a center.

Agree. Not a center.

Catchings is a wing or sf with the size that is so coveted at the NBA. If he takes Painter's coaching to heart, he will learn to defend and become a very desired player. I actually hate the term wing, at one time a wing was either a sg or sf, like pippen and jordan were both "wings" but now somehow it means only SF. But many of the top players are wings, ie Lebron, Durant, Tatum, Butler, Kawhi, Paul Geaorge, Ingram, ect. Having multiple players that can guard wings, or even the 1-4 like I envision Catchings being able to do is a huge plus, and the offense is smooth already in high school.

But Agree, not a center, lol...and not who the announcers were talking about. And honestly not an expert on high school recruits, just dont have the time to follow, but I remember Big Dog coming in, i was a Sophmore when he participated in the student 3 on 3 tourney with the team assistants, and this kid just might be that type of special and the whole class is deep

Hope NIL and enjoyment of college can keep some of these folks here a little longer. But I get it, $$$ talks.

My thing personally is that some of these kids should go pro, the college game is fun, but if you are a first rounder, especially lottery, leave, value your career, the opportunity to develop when basketball is your only job is just to big. Some of these kids get bad advice, but it seems more often than not they are doing the right things for their career.

NIL probably kept Edey a year extra as he was a 2nd rounder at best last year. And its been a ton of fun watching an old school center, but I probaly get just as much out of watching Smith who has been amazing this year, and Lance has been my favorite player since maybe Hummell. His enthusiasm and true love of the game and playing in front of the Boilermaker crowd has been even more amazing than the defense and drive and shot making he brings. So I do love the college game, Lance probably isnt a NBA player, but will have a good career in Europe if he wants...hope i am wrong though, would love to see Lance make the league.

Yeah agreed. His offense is smooth and he has the build of almost Durant like (skinny but tenacious on the court). He has been up there in ranking and was a five star but then dropped below…not sure how that really all happens and doesn’t matter that much in the gran scheme of things. But hope he can help right away next year. We are looking to be super athletic all around. Catchings, Colvin, Heide, Harris are going to be fun to watch along with Benter, Burgess and Jacobsen. Mix all that with the best PG in the country 😍…we will be cookin. And then we have fletch and TKR too?? And Furst. Man PT is gonna be tough to get. Lookin forward to the team and LAE (life after edey). But for now…I’m enjoying the show and hope it’s a good ending.

It has been the in state talent for a handful of years now, but also getting the out of state talent that is at the top of CMP's list. Think back to the days that we always lost out to Izzo or maybe Beilein, sometimes even IU for those fringe type 5* players. I think of Gary Harris and Branden Dawson but several more, but now we are getting the guys essentially at the top of CMP's list. Success helps a lot. Maybe not a lot of tournament success or at least what we'd like to see, but perennial top 5 teams helps a lot as well as success and development by bigs like Edey and players like Ivey and Carsen Edwards does a lot to help with that as well.

Reactions: oldboiler52

I like both 7 footer +, but they both seem a little on the slim side, if you watch their vids. Until they get a little meat on them, they will be limited (IMO).

I said this before, a buddy who’s daughter sort of runs in the same circles as Gillis told me Mason would love to play a 6th year, it might not be accurate, perhaps she heard wrong, who knows? Anyway, if Gilles wants to play and Painter doesn’t have the room I get it, Mason could easily go elsewhere and get paid, no one would be mad at him. If he’s allowed to return next year it likely means Furst leaves, there’s no room for both to be around next year. Anyway, we’ll see what happens, hopefully, the Boilers win a title and Gilles goes out on top at Purdue and chooses what he wants to do next.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
My thing personally is that some of these kids should go pro, the college game is fun, but if you are a first rounder, especially lottery, leave, value your career, the opportunity to develop when basketball is your only job is just to big. Some of these kids get bad advice, but it seems more often than not they are doing the right things for their career.

NIL probably kept Edey a year extra as he was a 2nd rounder at best last year. And its been a ton of fun watching an old school center, but I probaly get just as much out of watching Smith who has been amazing this year, and Lance has been my favorite player since maybe Hummell. His enthusiasm and true love of the game and playing in front of the Boilermaker crowd has been even more amazing than the defense and drive and shot making he brings. So I do love the college game, Lance probably isnt a NBA player, but will have a good career in Europe if he wants...hope i am wrong though, would love to see Lance make the league.
Go oeo
I said this before, a buddy who’s daughter sort of runs in the same circles as Gillis told me Mason would love to play a 6th year, it might not be accurate, perhaps she heard wrong, who knows? Anyway, if Gilles wants to play and Painter doesn’t have the room I get it, Mason could easily go elsewhere and get paid, no one would be mad at him. If he’s allowed to return next year it likely means Furst leaves, there’s no room for both to be around next year. Anyway, we’ll see what happens, hopefully, the Boilers win a title and Gilles goes out on top at Purdue and chooses what he wants to do next.
We are over by 1 scholarship with the thought Zach, Mason and Morton are gone. If Mason comes back, we are 2 over. Which means 2 people would need to leave…unless someone goes off scholarship and plays as a “walk on”. If it all works somehow with Gillis back..huge log jam already all over this team for positions 2-5.

Gillis has sneakily had an awesomely efficient year offensively. I hope he comes back, he adds a dynamic to the team that I think has been overlooked.

Reactions: DrEss
With the quality of talent remaining and the quality of recruits arriving, Colvin will either learn to play D or get lost in the shuffle.
I don't think D is his only issue at this time. I believe he has gotten better on the ball and it has been so long I have no idea where he is away from the ball. I'm unsure if his offense isn't as much, if not more of an issue at this time. He can shoot the ball, and although we know he can jump out of the gym, we haven't seen that displayed on the boards in particular.

I think he is struggling some working within a system offensively. His previous background allowed him to dribble as much as he wanted, as fast as he wanted, until he decided to pull up and shoot against less athletic players. I think as he makes a quicker, more correct decision in what to do with the ball, his playing time will increase. I think he can accomplish that, but erasing habits over several years of individual success and instilling habits necessary for team success may not happen this year. That said, I do think he can carve out a few minutes in remaining games this year assuming of course the conditions are right.

Gillis is one of my favorites for sure, but as much as I would like to see him play another year I think its more important to the program if he moves on. A lot of talent coming in and I don't see any reason to delay development. It's hard to get to the top, even harder to stay there.

I think Myles gives it one more yr here, Gillis and Furst each have 1 more yr, guess who I hope stays? I think a good spot for Furst would be the MVC
I said before the season that I thought (unfortunately!!!) that Furst would be the odd-man out. It's the inevitable result of have a great team.

Gillis is one of my favorites for sure, but as much as I would like to see him play another year I think its more important to the program if he moves on. A lot of talent coming in and I don't see any reason to delay development. It's hard to get to the top, even harder to stay there.
WISDOM~

I don't think D is his only issue at this time. I believe he has gotten better on the ball and it has been so long I have no idea where he is away from the ball. I'm unsure if his offense isn't as much, if not more of an issue at this time. He can shoot the ball, and although we know he can jump out of the gym, we haven't seen that displayed on the boards in particular.

I think he is struggling some working within a system offensively. His previous background allowed him to dribble as much as he wanted, as fast as he wanted, until he decided to pull up and shoot against less athletic players. I think as he makes a quicker, more correct decision in what to do with the ball, his playing time will increase. I think he can accomplish that, but erasing habits over several years of individual success and instilling habits necessary for team success may not happen this year. That said, I do think he can carve out a few minutes in remaining games this year assuming of course the conditions are right.
His shot selection needs improvement... he may look incredible on offense, but if one watches, he is not exactly a team player.... yet. How often have announcers said "passing up a good shot to pass to a great shot?" .... that has never happened with Myles.

Reactions: Inspector100
We are over by 1 scholarship with the thought Zach, Mason and Morton are gone. If Mason comes back, we are 2 over. Which means 2 people would need to leave…unless someone goes off scholarship and plays as a “walk on”. If it all works somehow with Gillis back..huge log jam already all over this team for positions 2-5.
Furst gets NIL deal that pays for college plus, takes walk on status and stays. 2025 returns to schollie and keeps NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT