ADVERTISEMENT

Coming for the Husker game.

Since you’re one of the good Nebraska fans that @BoilerN tells me exist in Nebraska and off of the internet.. check this place out when passing through

Portillo’s was bought by investors (they’ve tasted saltier since then; more mass produced as well) and even before then they were not near my tops:

1. Johnnie’s beef - elm wood park
2. Al’s Taylor street (has to be this location)
3. Mr. beef on Orleans

These places are going to be doing the old school slow roasting of the beef overnight and then letting it sit in gravy with a great spice mix. All three blow portillo’s out of the water as you’ll notice by the line down the block if you go to Johnnie’s on your way out of town on the weekend..

To me Italian sandwich and NOT PIZZA is what Chicago does best In the country, though the pizza is damn good.

for that, you’ll get a lot of bs recommendations on Facebook. Do

Freddy’s Cicero (look this place up, best Italian experience west of New Jersey in the US) - get a margarita pizza here and an Italian sub and gelato
Vito and nicks
Palermo’s 63rd (gotta like sweet sauce)

If Nebraska at Purdue is an early game and you head back Saturday id recommend leaving hungry on your way out of town and going to one of those places … stay in Chicago that night and then hit up more in the morning but remember … Freddy’s closed on Sunday

In this video Freddy’s is at 14:40 and Vito and nicks at 7:40

Dude, for sure! I grew up there, Johnnies is legendary. So is Al's!

There was also a different Johnny's in the burbs and it was amazing!

My family still lives there.

Dude, for sure! I grew up there, Johnnies is legendary. So is Al's!

There was also a different Johnny's in the burbs and it was amazing!

My family still lives there.
Nice. So you know. I’d still recommend hitting any of the places on that list you haven’t hit … but especially Freddy’s in Cicero.

have you done madvek’s dogs in Hammond? Best dragged through the garden dog. Best depression dog still Gene n Judes.

also recommend farmhouse on 65 at 14 Newton county about 50 minutes north of west Lafayette. Almost Everything they make comes from the farm on site. Though I’m sure you’re used to a lot of that in nebraska

Nice. So you know. I’d still recommend hitting any of the places on that list you haven’t hit … but especially Freddy’s in Cicero.

have you done madvek’s dogs in Hammond? Best dragged through the garden dog. Best depression dog still Gene n Judes.

also recommend farmhouse on 65 at 14 Newton county about 50 minutes north of west Lafayette. Almost Everything they make comes from the farm on site. Though I’m sure you’re used to a lot of that in nebraska
I also love to stop for Aurelio's pizza, love that stuff.

I also love to stop for Aurelio's pizza, love that stuff.
Grew up at the homewood location. My parents were going there when it was still the old location. They are in my top ten but I think Freddy’s and the other two I listed are better. The homewood location has an old oven if you didn’t already know… from the 50s. You Have to ask for it but it’s two completely different pizzas.. next level from their regular oven and all franchise locations.

Tell me more!!!

The Cactus is a lot of fun, has a piano bar you'll really enjoy if you come there Friday.

And if you like Irish beer (who doesn't?) I recommend Nine Irish Brothers. Great scene on the patio, good place for dinner, and when we hang awhile we always appreciate conversations with the owner who makes his way around to all the tables, def more than just small talk.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
Grew up at the homewood location. My parents were going there when it was still the old location. They are in my top ten but I think Freddy’s and the other two I listed are better. The homewood location has an old oven if you didn’t already know… from the 50s. You Have to ask for it but it’s two completely different pizzas.. next level from their regular oven and all franchise locations.
Homewood Flossmoor?

The Cactus is a lot of fun, has a piano bar you'll really enjoy if you come there Friday.

And if you like Irish beer (who doesn't?) I recommend Nine Irish Brothers. Great scene on the patio, good place for dinner, and when we hang awhile we always appreciate conversations with the owner who makes his way around to all the tables, def more than just small talk.
That sounds fun!

For me and my group that go to road games, we want this kind of stuff...like the "local" or "traditional" type of partying.

That is why Purdue was such a blast last time, Harry's was pretty much the perfect "dive" bar for pre-gaming.

I take it all in when I can get it. Haha. But for real, go to a game out there. Bar hop. See people. It's incredible. I'd go to a Nebraska game before a colts game.
Oh so if we were playing poker and I’m drunk running my mouth you’re going for the whole stack huh lol

Reactions: BoilerN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT