ADVERTISEMENT

Coleman Hawkins gets record NIL

Wild for such a so-so player and a role player. Him and Dug McDaniel can play the dumbest basketball alive at K-State together.
This moves them up to…10th in the Big 12…so they may just be a bubble team. He waited too long and even tho he got paid, he’s not going to play for a contender.

This moves them up to…10th in the Big 12…so they may just be a bubble team. He waited too long and even tho he got paid, he’s not going to play for a contender.
Unfortunately, these guys don't care about a "contender" they only care about the 💰. That's why CMP knows what we need for our program vs. rankings and the baggage they could bring..... character.

Unfortunately, these guys don't care about a "contender" they only care about the 💰. That's why CMP knows what we need for our program vs. rankings and the baggage they could bring..... character.
Yeah he for sure made the smart financial move. That’s like double what 2nd rd picks get. But they won’t do much as a team with a big front court and no real guards.

Reactions: Schnelk and Poprudy
Yea I'm really confused by the choice. I think Tang is a good coach. But I am sure there were other teams that are projected to be better he could have gone to. He went for money, knowing his future is overseas.

Reactions: Roeder
Yea I'm really confused by the choice. I think Tang is a good coach. But I am sure there were other teams that are projected to be better he could have gone to. He went for money, knowing his future is overseas.
Yeah and he just waited so long. I think he really thought he was going to go higher in the draft and in the “worst draft ever”….he couldn’t get a first round grade/guarantee

Yeah and he just waited so long. I think he really thought he was going to go higher in the draft and in the “worst draft ever”….he couldn’t get a first round grade/guarantee
Was he even considered a 2nd rounder? Not sure what his handlers or agent or whoever are telling him. He's just not that caliber of player and his court IQ is below average.

Everytime the $ goes up for players it is bad for college basketball. It's like an arms race; hard to keep up. And the only thing assured is mutual destruction. For example, if this Hawkins fellow is worth $2M ..... What is Braden Smith worth next year...$10M?? Who knows? And up & up it goes. Chaos Arghhhh. 😠😠

Last edited:
Everytime the $ goes up for players it is bad for college basketball. It's like an arms race; hard to keep up. And the only thing assured is mutual destruction. For example, if this Hawkins fellow is worth $2M ..... What is Braden Smith worth next year...$10M?? Who knows? And up & up it goes. Arghhhh. 😠😠
It’s bad for the everyday people. How much is cable or streaming going to increase just to watch games or other entertainment?

Everytime the $ goes up for players it is bad for college basketball. It's like an arms race; hard to keep up. And the only thing assured is mutual destruction. For example, if this Hawkins fellow is worth $2M ..... What is Braden Smith worth next year...$10M?? Who knows? And up & up it goes. Arghhhh. 😠😠
That is a worry. With no contracts, no caps, and no tampering rules, the offseasons are going to be a free for all. There will be at least 30 returning players better than Coleman and Osobor all wanting to see if they can get 2 million, and who can blame them?

If Purdue has the year many of us think, the Boilermaket Alliance will have a challenge on how to keep everyone returning happy.

That is a worry. With no contracts, no caps, and no tampering rules, the offseasons are going to be a free for all. There will be at least 30 returning players better than Coleman and Osobor all wanting to see if they can get 2 million, and who can blame them?

If Purdue has the year many of us think, the Boilermaket Alliance will have a challenge on how to keep everyone returning happy.
How long until players are traded mid season?? 3-5 years??

• Haha
Reactions: SKYDOG and z_one
My opinion: I think Hawkins is overrated as a player because of discipline and his mental approach. Hes got some talent for sure but doesn’t appear to be a stable piece to rely on game in and game out. Could be kind of a cancer for a coach and team chemistry. Also play is inconsistent and he takes plays off in games.
I wasn’t overly impressed with Osobor either. 6 rebounds and 14 points on 4/11 shooting against Purdue. He was their best player and is quick for a big man but I think he may come down to earth from his big payday playing in the B1G.

Purdue gave Osobor a glimpse of what life will look like in the B1G. TKR had 18 against him in the round of 32.
Osobor will be just fine. Hell Cliff Omuruyi was considered a top big man in the B1G. Trying to base his B1G career of the best team Purdue has ever had is a massive stretch.

Do we really know this is a record? It’s not like this is all public record. I thought IU was throwing around this kind of money to multiple players?

Osobor will be just fine. Hell Cliff Omuruyi was considered a top big man in the B1G. Trying to base his B1G career of the best team Purdue has ever had is a massive stretch.
So is this statement.

Just because they reached a NC doesn't equate to the "best ever". We've had plenty of great "teams" that didn't get to a NC because of injuries to certain players of a "team". Yes, I can say injuries derailed us before from a potential NC .

Osobor though, is not a player that is going to get you multiple wins on his own based on his play alone. In no universe is he worth $2M. They’ll be lucky to be a bubble team this coming year.

Also, all we heard was how he was going to dominate Edey. And our front court destroyed him and made him obsolete (like most front courts last year).

Reactions: Roeder
Do we really know this is a record? It’s not like this is all public record. I thought IU was throwing around this kind of money to multiple players?
True. I’m guessing Zion got more than $2M…

But we know they overpaid for Ballo at $1.2M and heard they threw $700k at Tucker, a Frosh who isn’t know to shoot well and is unproven …thought they would have learned their lesson from paying mgbako (who wasn’t as advertised at all) the previous year.

The NIL and sports tv rights is getting ridiculous. We all know who is going to end up paying for the bill, the fans with higher ticket prices and higher sports cable/streaming rates.

True. I’m guessing Zion got more than $2M…

But we know they overpaid for Ballo at $1.2M and heard they threw $700k at Tucker, a Frosh who isn’t know to shoot well and is unproven …thought they would have learned their lesson from paying mgbako (who wasn’t as advertised at all) the previous year.
Ok, that makes more sense as they had $6m to pass around and I thought I read they gave some of their current players $600k.

I’ve heard Edey got anywhere from $1-$2m. But the article did say transfer so he wouldn’t have counted.

Ok, that makes more sense as they had $6m to pass around and I thought I read they gave some of their current players $600k.

I’ve heard Edey got anywhere from $1-$2m. But the article did say transfer so he wouldn’t have counted.
Edey hopefully got that much….hes probably the only player that was worth that much in all of college basketball last year and this coming year. No player had as much of an impact as him, had as much pressure and delivered/performed every game like he did.

I guarantee Hawkins and Osobor won’t come close to that (as I’m sure everyone else would agree).

Everytime the $ goes up for players it is bad for college basketball. It's like an arms race; hard to keep up. And the only thing assured is mutual destruction. For example, if this Hawkins fellow is worth $2M ..... What is Braden Smith worth next year...$10M?? Who knows? And up & up it goes. Chaos Arghhhh. 😠😠
At some point this irrational exuberance will reach a NIL bubble. Then what?

Yeah it's not like the schools can raise ticket prices to offset the salaries like pro leagues can.
Schools:

Watch This GIF

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
Got me loling with the gif.

But yeah…they are going to jack up those prices as high as they can. Not all schools CAN do it but the ones who can certainly will.
😂 😂 that’s what they’re for!!!

But yeah, it’s only a matter of time…unless they set a certain “salary cap”, I suppose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT