ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching and Buy-In

pboiler18

All-American
May 13, 2014
I think whats happening this season can be easily explained by 2 things

1. Coaching. Its not a coincidence IMO that our best performance was under Brian Brohm. Calm demeanor and it seems like the players might respect him more than Jeff Brohm. We played a sound, very disciplined game that day and won because it was Iowa shooting itself in the foot and not us. It might not all be because of Brian.....but we were certainly a much better team that day than it appears we are now.

2. Buy In. Especially on the defense. It is readily obvious that Diaco employs a very complicated defensive scheme. One so complicated that it does not allow some of our better athletes (like a Marvin Grant) to be out on the field reacting and just making plays. It's all about different assignments in different formations and personnel groups and all that seems to be doing is confusing ourselves and not the opponent. If I had $10 for every time it was 3rd and long this year and there wasn't a single Purdue player in the back 7 defending in front of the sticks I wouldn't need to comment on an internet message board. We also haven't generated a turnover in many weeks. We are focused on trying to get to the ball now and not really focused on what we are going to do (strip, intercept) when we do get there.

I think our players on Defense no longer trust the coaches to scheme them in the correct places so they are out there operating as 11 individuals vs. a well coordinated unit and that shows with the defense getting worse and worse seemingly by the week.

I do agree we need to get better along the lines. I also think its BS that 4 years in Brohm doesn't have a QB who can utilize the other weapons he brought in. This situation can be fixed and there is a good foundation of talent here.....but the longer this slide goes on the more I think we don't have the leadership in the program to do what it takes to get this turned around. Im not saying that Brohm should get a free pass this year but with how expensive his buyout is, the crazy COVID situation, etc. he should be put on notice that next year is do or die......and we all want to see him DO!

I think whats happening this season can be easily explained by 2 things

1. Coaching. Its not a coincidence IMO that our best performance was under Brian Brohm. Calm demeanor and it seems like the players might respect him more than Jeff Brohm. We played a sound, very disciplined game that day and won because it was Iowa shooting itself in the foot and not us. It might not all be because of Brian.....but we were certainly a much better team that day than it appears we are now.

2. Buy In. Especially on the defense. It is readily obvious that Diaco employs a very complicated defensive scheme. One so complicated that it does not allow some of our better athletes (like a Marvin Grant) to be out on the field reacting and just making plays. It's all about different assignments in different formations and personnel groups and all that seems to be doing is confusing ourselves and not the opponent. If I had $10 for every time it was 3rd and long this year and there wasn't a single Purdue player in the back 7 defending in front of the sticks I wouldn't need to comment on an internet message board. We also haven't generated a turnover in many weeks. We are focused on trying to get to the ball now and not really focused on what we are going to do (strip, intercept) when we do get there.

I think our players on Defense no longer trust the coaches to scheme them in the correct places so they are out there operating as 11 individuals vs. a well coordinated unit and that shows with the defense getting worse and worse seemingly by the week.

I do agree we need to get better along the lines. I also think its BS that 4 years in Brohm doesn't have a QB who can utilize the other weapons he brought in. This situation can be fixed and there is a good foundation of talent here.....but the longer this slide goes on the more I think we don't have the leadership in the program to do what it takes to get this turned around. Im not saying that Brohm should get a free pass this year but with how expensive his buyout is, the crazy COVID situation, etc. he should be put on notice that next year is do or die......and we all want to see him DO!
If the current QBs don’t pan out, we got dual threat Jackson, which Brohm has mentioned he has been wanting a dual threat QB for a while now, coming in next year and Pro style Allen the year after that, who appears to have the arm to get it to our weapons.

If the current QBs don’t pan out, we got dual threat Jackson, which Brohm has mentioned he has been wanting a dual threat QB for a while now, coming in next year and Pro style Allen the year after that, who appears to have the arm to get it to our weapons.
let's not forget about Alaimo.

Reactions: purduepat1969
There's a reason Jackson wasn't highly recruited at QB. He's undersized and will probably need a lot of development to play B1G QB. I'm very hopeful he surprises everyone. But I think Alaimo or Burton are the next guys up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT