ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Matt Painter mentioned ....

Inspector100

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 2, 2012
as a good recruiter that stays after kids during the winter months. This is from the article in the Indy Star about Jack Keefer celebrating 40 years at Lawrence North High School. The article covers several topics, but it singled out Matt Painter for this recruiting attribute and didn't mention anyone else doing the same. I think that is significant and shows that he is welcome throughout the state at all the schools that have players that might come to Purdue. I wish CMP the best as he represents Purdue BB and Purdue fans in the pursuit of the best players for his team.

Reactions: rjmpu82 and tjreese
as a good recruiter that stays after kids during the winter months. This is from the article in the Indy Star about Jack Keefer celebrating 40 years at Lawrence North High School. The article covers several topics, but it singled out Matt Painter for this recruiting attribute and didn't mention anyone else doing the same. I think that is significant and shows that he is welcome throughout the state at all the schools that have players that might come to Purdue. I wish CMP the best as he represents Purdue BB and Purdue fans in the pursuit of the best players for his team.

But, CTC is ALWAYS thinking about his recruits....alot.

Article obviously written by someone who didn't take the time to tap into the expert knowledge on this board before venturing an opinion.

Do people on this board question CMP's work ethic? I think he's an average coach but I think he works plenty hard and always has.

Last edited:
If college coaches are cars, Painter is a Lexus. Pricey yet dependable. He is not an average coach. He has his flaws but IS a good coach. People on this board is just complaining because he ain't a Lamborghini. Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me! Purdue, as a school, never was such a luxurious athletic school to begin with.

Besides, coaches are not like cars in that they grow. Painter has had some growing pains, especially in the last a few years. He will get better as a coach, and so will Purdue. It just isn't gonna happen overnight.

If college coaches are cars, Painter is a Lexus. Pricey yet dependable. He is not an average coach. He has his flaws but IS a good coach. People on this board is just complaining because he ain't a Lamborghini. Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me! Purdue, as a school, never was such a luxurious athletic school to begin with.

Besides, coaches are not like cars in that they grow. Painter has had some growing pains, especially in the last a few years. He will get better as a coach, and so will Purdue. It just isn't gonna happen overnight.

I just had a vision of Painter stuck in traffic in his Lexus yelling "Move, Move, Move!"

Article obviously written by someone who didn't take the time to tap into the expert knowledge on this board before venturing an opinion.

It doesn't take "expert knowledge" to see Crean get the McDonalds All-Americans...what......5 years in a row now, does it smartass? And... Butler? How many final4's? And still defeating us regularly. Don't come with that weak crap. I would have been just fine with this thread and reference and hat tip to Painter, but if you want to start taking jabs, we can do that all day and tear you to shreads.

It doesn't take "expert knowledge" to see Crean get the McDonalds All-Americans...what......5 years in a row now, does it smartass? And... Butler? How many final4's? And still defeating us regularly. Don't come with that weak crap. I would have been just fine with this thread and reference and hat tip to Painter, but if you want to start taking jabs, we can do that all day and tear you to shreads.

You are in my prayers.

Reactions: Dandelion1972

2 sweet 16's and 1 co-B1G championship is average in 10 years. Let's see all of the coaches who came into 2015-2016 who were as tenured as Painter (give or take a year) in the B1G and who has done more and who has done less. Matta has done more. Bo did more. Izzo, not even close. Obviously some of the newer guys don't look at good like little Pitino. I'd say average is fair.

Reactions: nagemj02
His recruiting is sufficient based on star talent relative to our program . It's his takent evaluation I question, he's picked some real underachievers at times
We went through a period of time when we took who ever who could get: Donnie Hale, RJ, etc. I think this was (1) Painter learning what kind of players he needed, and (2) a restricted recruiting budget. Those 2 issues impacted our talent level greatly, and I would argue that #2 was more relevant and impactful. Since budget restrictions lifted and since Painter learned the type player he needs, we have had mostly winners. Interestingly, we are often going against MSU for these kids. That is a good sign we are targeting the right kids.

:cool:

IMO if Hummel's knee doesn't explode on that awful night in the Barn, there would be no questioning CMP's place in the pantheon of B1G coaches...had that team been given the shot at greatness it deserved, I think you'd have seen Harris, Dawson, and even Zeller come to Purdue. .. maybe even Yogi as well.

Painter has his faults, no doubt, but it's not debatable that he's been pretty unlucky as well-- almost as unlucky as his predecessor.

Last edited:
1. Who is we Kemosabe?
2. Tear to shreds...I don't think so.
3. Whine like a baby...definitely

Sort of over the top, don't you think?

This was just a TIC comment about some of the less mature, overly dramatic posters that come out of the woodwork after a loss, and offer their "expert opinion" on what we should have done. Come to think of it, your statement "tear you to shreds" (spelling corrected) seems a bit dramatic too. Are you sure you took your meds this morning?

We went through a period of time when we took who ever who could get: Donnie Hale, RJ, etc. I think this was (1) Painter learning what kind of players he needed, and (2) a restricted recruiting budget. Those 2 issues impacted our talent level greatly, and I would argue that #2 was more relevant and impactful. Since budget restrictions lifted and since Painter learned the type player he needs, we have had mostly winners. Interestingly, we are often going against MSU for these kids. That is a good sign we are targeting the right kids.

Please read Purdue fans. All over it.

IMO if Hummel's knee doesn't explode on that awful night in the Barn, there would be no questioning CMP's place in the pantheon of B1G coaches...had that team been given the shot at greatness it deserved, I think you'd have seen Harris, Dawson, and even Zeller come to Purdue. .. maybe even Yogi as well.

Painter has his faults, no doubt, but it's not debatable that he's been pretty unlucky as well-- almost as unlucky as his predecessor.
If you're referring to Tyler Zeller, he was already at UNC by 2010.

1. Who is we Kemosabe?
2. Tear to shreds...I don't think so.
3. Whine like a baby...definitely

I know, I know....facts are a struggle for you to deal with. LOL. If you can't keep up, just try to stay close as I posted my pretty well thought out opinion and all you have is ad homs. And, as usual, the whine comes from those who just don't like honesty...well...unless it doesn't hurt their feelings that is. The hilarity cracks me up when others calmly post an opinion and the only rebuttal from the likes of you is this weak claim that others are whining. Look, you don't have to like my opinion, don't even have to agree with it. But, the fact it gets your panties in a bind is something that should pass as you grow up. So, just relax, everyone living in your bubble doesn't have to agree with you. Here's the thing....everything I pointed out about Crean and Butler....is the truth. Get over it.

I know, I know....facts are a struggle for you to deal with. LOL. If you can't keep up, just try to stay close as I posted my pretty well thought out opinion and all you have is ad homs. And, as usual, the whine comes from those who just don't like honesty...well...unless it doesn't hurt their feelings that is. The hilarity cracks me up when others calmly post an opinion and the only rebuttal from the likes of you is this weak claim that others are whining. Look, you don't have to like my opinion, don't even have to agree with it. But, the fact it gets your panties in a bind is something that should pass as you grow up. So, just relax, everyone living in your bubble doesn't have to agree with you. Here's the thing....everything I pointed out about Crean and Butler....is the truth. Get over it.
I think someone needs to relax it just isn't me. It is the truth Crean has gotten several burger boys...what's he got to show for it? Butler is getting zero and beating Purdue regularly. Compare your two "truths" there and report back what your point was please. Someone else pointed out that maybe Painter has learned something and that something is recruiting good players that fit his system. You just enjoy bitching. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
I think someone needs to relax it just isn't me. It is the truth Crean has gotten several burger boys...what's he got to show for it? Butler is getting zero and beating Purdue regularly. Compare your two "truths" there and report back what your point was please. Someone else pointed out that maybe Painter has learned something and that something is recruiting good players that fit his system. You just enjoy bitching. Just my opinion.

I understand your perception is someone says something you don't like....they're bitching. LOL. I have no problem with "just my opinion". Doesn't bother me at all. Try to be as tolerant, eh?

I understand your perception is someone says something you don't like....they're bitching. LOL. I have no problem with "just my opinion". Doesn't bother me at all. Try to be as tolerant, eh?
A plea for tolerance from the guy that threatened to tear other posters to shreds for disagreeing? Honestly, look at the tone of your original post and tell me you desire tolerance. Tell me again you are not just bitching using overly generalized statements. Geez man, spread a little of that tolerance on your own posts.

Nobody here is your enemy.

A plea for tolerance from the guy that threatened to tear other posters to shreds for disagreeing? Honestly, look at the tone of your original post and tell me you desire tolerance. Tell me again you are not just bitching using overly generalized statements. Geez man, spread a little of that tolerance on your own posts.

Nobody here is your enemy.

Always out of context. LOL Or, strawman point. My original post was fact based and you pick and choose phrases. Please give it a rest. How about the next time I post an opinion you try staying on topic? M-kay? That'd be great. LOL. Here's the funny part... I know I'm not among enemies. I realize we're on the same side, but seriously you guys really can be thin skinned. LOL. Remember that time I responded to a point with a personal attack? yeah, me either. You're killing me laughing man.

Always out of context. LOL Or, strawman point. My original post was fact based and you pick and choose phrases. Please give it a rest. How about the next time I post an opinion you try staying on topic? M-kay? That'd be great. LOL. Here's the funny part... I know I'm not among enemies. I realize we're on the same side, but seriously you guys really can be thin skinned. LOL. Remember that time I responded to a point with a personal attack? yeah, me either. You're killing me laughing man.
I have a question. Whom would you rather have as your coach Tom Crean, Chris Holtmann, or Matt Painter?

I would say the only one who is responding as if they were thin-skinned is you. Calling someone a smartass because of a TIC post isn't a personal attack? And the only person who thought that post was directed at you was, well, you. Thin-skinned? Ha!

I would say the only one who is responding as if they were thin-skinned is you. Calling someone a smartass because of a TIC post isn't a personal attack? And the only person who thought that post was directed at you was, well, you. Thin-skinned? Ha!

Of course you would pumpkin. It was a smartass comment, which is fine, and I responded with sarcasm and some pretty good facts. I know, you're struggling with them, it's ok. If you're going to toss out zingers, don't get butthurt when you get them in return...m-kay? Put on your bigboy pants if you're going to have fun with one liners. LOL. BTW, what you won't see me do, is dedicate an entire thread with a petulant topic. But, I will, however, retaliate with a few barbs for fun. Get over it dude. LOL. It's all good really.

Not a bit out of context. In fact here is your exact post:

I think you are acting hypocritical at best. For you to ask others to be tolerant after making this post is just duplicitous and two-faced. Please stop trying to bully other posters here if they don't happen to agree with you.

Of course you would pumpkin. It was a smartass comment, which is fine, and I responded with sarcasm and some pretty good facts. I know, you're struggling with them, it's ok. If you're going to toss out zingers, don't get butthurt when you get them in return...m-kay? Put on your bigboy pants if you're going to have fun with one liners. LOL. BTW, what you won't see me do, is dedicate an entire thread with a petulant topic. But, I will, however, retaliate with a few barbs for fun. Get over it dude. LOL. It's all good really.
Hahaha. "Big boy pants." You keep talking about them as if you have some. Very believable.

Hahaha. "Big boy pants." You keep talking about them as if you have some. Very believable.

LOL. Thought you'd like that one. HA!! If you can't run with big dogs, stay on the porch I always say. LOL. You two crack me up. Almost as much as I crack myself up.

2 sweet 16's and 1 co-B1G championship is average in 10 years. Let's see all of the coaches who came into 2015-2016 who were as tenured as Painter (give or take a year) in the B1G and who has done more and who has done less. Matta has done more. Bo did more. Izzo, not even close. Obviously some of the newer guys don't look at good like little Pitino. I'd say average is fair.

Left out that B1G Coach of the Year 3 times in 11 years thingy......or is that not "average"?

Last edited:
Sheesh... It sounds like peegs here today.
Yes, it does. Some folks get way out there on an issue and then get real defensive if you call them on it. They start calling names and making unnecessary derogatory comments about others on the board. It shows a general lack of personal maturity. He is still a Purdue fan, I think, although I still have him under suspicion of being a troll.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Left out that B1G Coach of the Year 3 times in 11 years thingy......or is that not "average"?

Yeah, let's hang a banner for that! Come on, please be serious. What other teams are boasting about their COY awards? Do people in East Lansing care about Izzo's COY awards, or the fact that he gets every class to a final 4 and has won it all? I guess when you can't get past the sweet 16, you have to grasp at something.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT