ADVERTISEMENT

Close the book on the 2020* season

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Yes, you can officially put an asterisk on the 2020 college football season. We will never see another one like it. Thank goodness. From the uncertainty looming over much of the off season, to the waffling of leadership, to the ill-conceived participation rules, to the opt outs... there is nothing that screams "yeah, this counts just like any other". It was a nice diversion, decent entertainment value, but in the end made about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

Outside of the "same old, same old" CFP teams it was the year of anomalies. Some programs cashed in with experienced teams. Others were unable to pull young talent together. And with under-motivated players, across the board, checking out of games early and often. Some teams opted out of games with only a few positive cases, others played on.

Where did Purdue fit into this? Well, certainly not with experience on its side. Or coaching continuity on defense. A dangerous combination in an off season where new players are learning a new system from a new coach over a computer. Was that this team's only problem or even the primary one? Absolutely not. But who knows what anything would have looked like in 2020 under normal circumstances.

Time to file this season into the flaming 2020 dumpster and move on. I think we will see a lot of things return to "normal" in 2021, including in the Big Ten standings. Outside of OSU, talent will find its level in the East, and the West will be a dog fight well into November. Where Purdue will fit in 2021 no one knows, but the asterisk is coming off, so make it count.

Well, I hope that Purdue can find a long-term defensive coordinator that will provide stability. That would be an achievement in of itself. Rebound and keep recruiting. Let's go

Well, I hope that Purdue can find a long-term defensive coordinator that will provide stability. That would be an achievement in of itself. Rebound and keep recruiting. Let's go
Add long term Special Team Coordinator to that list too, because our last 4, and current one included l, is not cutting it.

Speak for yourself. I'm looking forward to the next pandemic season 100 years from now when I'm at the ripe old age of 138.
Nice! My goal is to live to 113 so when interviewed about the Bicentennial for the Tricentennial, I can tell outrageous lies about it that no one will be able to fact check (due to storage media degradation/incompatibility with future systems).

"I remember when NY harbor had 2.5 million ships in it, some sailing vessels with 2 mile high masts! And The Ghostbusters made The Statue of Liberty dance to AC/DC 'You want Blood, you got it'!"

Sometimes the thought of it is all that keeps me going.

Speak for yourself. I'm looking forward to the next pandemic season 100 years from now when I'm at the ripe old age of 138.

You won't have to wait that long.

There's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

Now that the power hungry politicians have seen how easy it is to control the masses, there's more on the way.

Bank on it.

Nice! My goal is to live to 113 so when interviewed about the Bicentennial for the Tricentennial, I can tell outrageous lies about it that no one will be able to fact check (due to storage media degradation/incompatibility with future systems).

"I remember when NY harbor had 2.5 million ships in it, some sailing vessels with 2 mile high masts! And The Ghostbusters made The Statue of Liberty dance to AC/DC 'You want Blood, you got it'!"

Sometimes the thought of it is all that keeps me going.

Only "113"?? I just saw yesterday that a Japanese woman turned 118 on Saturday and did the math in my head: "January 2, 1903... HOLY SHiT!!"

https://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/01/03/21/worlds-oldest-person-in-southwestern-japan-turns-118

It's hard to wrap your head around, isn't it? Well look at it this way... Miss Tanaka was only a couple days shy of turning 11-months old on this sad, fateful day in Purdue history:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT