ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Holtmann fired

I think it was more of a "get a jump on the other schools who are going to fire their coach after selection sunday". Most of those names on that list are the same ones being thrown around on every message board for every school where the fans are demanding change. OSU's got the pocket book to be able to entice one of those names on that list to sign earlier than later.

EDIT: That also bodes well for Purdue. It's possible that Purdue will face one of these coaches in the tourney, and if he has one foot out the door already, that might lead to less-than-inspired play.

Put me in the camp with not totally shocked - though somewhat surprised at the timing. It will be interesting how this plays out. Who's going to say it? Butler and Ohio State swap coaches again? Haha..... Hot Tub Time Machine......

Oh, btw, Purdue travels to Columbus for a Sunday game against Ohio State.

What could be hilarious is if this triggers IU to get rid of Woodson so they can appease their fans/donors into signing Dusty May. Then IU will overpay, lose the one recruit they have coming in and fire him in 4 years when it doesn’t pan out.

What could be hilarious is if this triggers IU to get rid of Woodson so they can appease their fans/donors into signing Dusty May. Then IU will overpay, lose the one recruit they have coming in and fire him in 4 years when it doesn’t pan out.
I was thinking the same thing. This may be the straw that breaks the camels back and forces IU to move now.

May COULD bring some of the FAU team with him though. That’d be interesting the Indiana Atlantic Owl Hoosiers. Wonder how much he actually wants the IU job.

If they can't get May, Holtmann may still be available.

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I have an inside source at OSU . They hired the ad from Texas A&M to replace the current ad who is retiring in June. However he decided to show up and take over this month about 6 months early. One of the first things he was asked about at his introductory press conference was about the basketball program. His reply was he hadn’t looked at it yet and he would be reviewing it. So after being unofficially in the job for two weeks, he does the same thing he did at Texas A&M and fired the coach. Rather than examining the program. All he cares about are wins and nil donations

Last edited:
Their new ad is. Trying to make a name for himself by hiring and firing. Forget academics and evaluation. It’s all about wins, publicity and $’$$$

I don't think they'll hire until after the tournament.
I don't think there was any implication that they would hire now. That being said, O$U should command a big name, even if they haven't been that successful recently. No one knows what Dusty May is thinking regarding Indinia. I did hear this morning regarding the South Carolina coach, that he won't be in Columbia for long. No ties there I guess. Columbia to Columbus???

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Give this new ad guy a year in the job and he will turn OSU into the Texas A&M of the north. And that’s not a good thing.

My guess is if the OSU football team doesn’t win a National championship their new ad will fire their coach

Last edited:
Touché. Buckner might not be ready to move on unless Woodson tells him he is ready to leave.
Every time I see Woodson looking disinterested on the sidelines, I think back to the rumored "master plan" when they brought in the 3-headed Woodson-Matta-Fife monster. It was supposed to be a multi-year plan that sounded good on paper with all the pedigrees involved. But it completely desintegrated during the first year.

They won’t but doesn’t prevent them from having a hot list. Assuming they connected with a few via agents and other back channels. No way you fire this early unless you have your budget and eyes locked on a top 2/3.
This will keep my retired mind active for a few months!!!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT