Chis Forman tweet

rasrar

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Purdue's SID tweeted the following:

Chris Forman‏@ChrisForman12
Awesome, awesome news for @BoilerBall! Not done yet!!!

On Hammer an Rails, they outline the "Not done yet!!!" part to mean one of three things:

1. Swanigan committing
2. Tayler Persons being offered and committing
3. Toyra getting the last scholarship as a walk-on

Here's how I see it. If Forman knows Purdue fans are anxious, would he post the "Not done yet!!" part if it wasn't Swanigan? He knows people are going to read in between the lines, so why tease your own fan base?

Also, Persons hasn't even been offered yet, so I doubt it's that. And while Toyra is a great story, it's not something fans are going to get excited about.

I tend to think that the "Not done yet!!!" part is either a) Swanigan or b) just a general statement amount the upcoming season, that the team isn't done and that they still have more to achieve than merely signing recruits.

So my question is, how would you guys read into it?

I wouldn't ready anything in to it. It's a lame cryptic tweet that can mean just about anything. Maybe he was boinking his wife while he tweeted that or his hair line stopped receding or anything in between. People need to stop putting so much stock in to ambiguous tweets.

On Hammer an Rails, they outline the "Not done yet!!!" part to mean one of three things:

1. Swanigan committing

Here's how I see it. If Forman knows Purdue fans are anxious, would he post the "Not done yet!!" part if it wasn't Swanigan? He knows people are going to read in between the lines, so why tease your own fan base?

Also, Persons hasn't even been offered yet, so I doubt it's that. And while Toyra is a great story, it's not something fans are going to get excited about.

I tend to think that the "Not done yet!!!" part is either a) Swanigan or b) just a general statement amount the upcoming season, that the team isn't done and that they still have more to achieve than merely signing recruits.

I wouldn't read into it much. It's on his personal twitter account, I doubt he'd be "leaking" big news that way.

Like it was laid out, there's a number of things that can happen.

1. Swanigan committing

Foreman runs the "Boilermaker Basketball" twitter, as well. The other night when Swanigan was to be rumored as committing to the Boilers, Boilermaker Basketball account retweeted a tweet that said Swanigan had committed to Purdue. They both took the tweet down within 5 minutes. I don't think the SID would retweet that if there wasn't something to it. I didn't think Purdue was going to get biggie, but I'm pretty sure its happening.

Foreman runs the "Boilermaker Basketball" twitter, as well. The other night when Swanigan was to be rumored as committing to the Boilers, Boilermaker Basketball account retweeted a tweet that said Swanigan had committed to Purdue. They both took the tweet down within 5 minutes. I don't think the SID would retweet that if there wasn't something to it. I didn't think Purdue was going to get biggie, but I'm pretty sure its happening.

Who knows what the situation was - it IS Twitter.

He may have been out of town, saw a tweet from a "respected" source saying he committed to Purdue and retweeted it.

Trust me, "official" accounts have done much dumber things in the past.

Not to say there isn't more to it, but I wouldn't really make assumptions based on any of this as strong indicators.

No idea, but if Painter gets Swanigan and Hill turns out to be a capable PG in the Octeus mold we would be looking at a top 15-20 team next year assuming hte chemistry, development and coaching are there. This would be a very impressive job by Painter.

Frankly, we should be a top20 team without Swanigan next season. If CS does come aboard, we have top10, darkhorse final4 potential.

Our team size and inside play will really be a handful for most teams next year.

agree. If they land CS and he gives them ten points and rebounds a night, and the new point guard is not a turn over machine they should get at least elite eight

if CS is a one and done type player, it could get special

Reactions: ejs1111
No idea, but if Painter gets Swanigan and Hill turns out to be a capable PG in the Octeus mold we would be looking at a top 15-20 team next year assuming hte chemistry, development and coaching are there. This would be a very impressive job by Painter.

I don't see how we weren't top 20 anyhow. Take the Gardner-Webb and UNF losses off the docket and we were likely a ranked team during our Feb 2015 run. Take the @Minny loss out of the equation and we were def. a top 20 team. Hard to think that even without Octeus (and now that we scooped up our PG transfer target) we were going to not be ranked after the non-con part of the schedule. Lots of young players on this team (Mathias, Edwards, Stephens, Haas, Smotherman, PJ) that can get much better in the offseason as well and make us tougher.

All that said, WITH Swanigan, it makes us probably THE deepest team in the country next year.

Reactions: ejs1111
Frankly, we should be a top20 team without Swanigan next season. If CS does come aboard, we have top10, darkhorse final4 potential.

Our team size and inside play will really be a handful for most teams next year.

The backcourt players need to improve and be able to hold their own against the best teams. That's the area that most neutral college hoops fans can tell is a weakness for Purdue vs. the best of the best going into next season. None of the six (seven if you include Davis) guards are known for elite type play such as dynamic scoring or great speed or athleticism (although Davis seemed to be improved in this area this past season and perhaps Hill will help as well). If some of the guys can really improve their games and build up more cohesion from playing together, Purdue can be really good next season.

I don't see how we weren't top 20 anyhow. Take the Gardner-Webb and UNF losses off the docket and we were likely a ranked team during our Feb 2015 run. Take the @Minny loss out of the equation and we were def. a top 20 team. Hard to think that even without Octeus (and now that we scooped up our PG transfer target) we were going to not be ranked after the non-con part of the schedule. Lots of young players on this team (Mathias, Edwards, Stephens, Haas, Smotherman, PJ) that can get much better in the offseason as well and make us tougher.

All that said, WITH Swanigan, it makes us probably THE deepest team in the country next year.

This is still a team that lost to a mediocre Cincy team in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament and lost by far their best PG. I don't know that we are top 20 w/o Swanigan. And to say we will be the deepest team next year? Maybe the deepest frontcourt with AJH, Haas, Swanigan, Edwards and Taylor, but our guard play needs to improve a lot.

Either way, it could be a really fun season and if Swanigan comes and the chemistry and improvement are there, I agree this team could have a very deep run.

This is still a team that lost to a mediocre Cincy team in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament and lost by far their best PG. I don't know that we are top 20 w/o Swanigan. And to say we will be the deepest team next year? Maybe the deepest frontcourt with AJH, Haas, Swanigan, Edwards and Taylor, but our guard play needs to improve a lot.

don't forget Smotherman

Davis could be considered a frontcourt (or backcourt) player as well.

Either way, it could be a really fun season and if Swanigan comes and the chemistry and improvement are there, I agree this team could have a very deep run.

I don't think you can prognosticate a season based on one game last season.

And while improvements need to be made, that has nothing to do with being deep or not. We have a deep team compared to most.

Octeus is NOT your standard 5th year transfer situation. He turned out to be a lot better and more needed than we thought.

Johnny Hill is NOT coming here with the expectations of playing 30+ minutes a game. I think you're more looking at him with the expectations he can fill in as needed, ala Bryson Scott.

I expect hill to play 20-25 mins a game. PJ and GW will compete for other mins
I don't know, I still think I would like to see PJ develop and earn those 20-25 minutes, and be the starter at the position. If we need Hill as bad as we needed Octeus we are in for a rough year possibly, not to mention the year after that if we don't land a good 2016 PG.

Unless Dakota Mathias gets in top shape and also competes for PG minutes. I know it's less likely now that we've added another PG, but with Stephens and Cline also available at the 2, it could happen. Dakota's low rate of turnovers last year was impressive, and his defense got better and better over the course of the season. The truth is... If we add Swanigan, we're going to have a lot of good players competing for floor time across all positions - good problem to have as long as everyone keeps a team mentality.

I don't know, I still think I would like to see PJ develop and earn those 20-25 minutes, and be the starter at the position. If we need Hill as bad as we needed Octeus we are in for a rough year possibly, not to mention the year after that if we don't land a good 2016 PG.

Agreed. If Hill is playing 25 minutes a game, something is either really good (he's fitting in well) or really bad (other guys aren't playing well).

Reactions: BoilerCrazy
This tweet was 22 hours ago.. .so about what 3pm eastern? Which I believe is just before Johnny Hill signed? I would imagine that's all this is. Lot of times people just want something so bad they see it everywhere.

I don't think you can prognosticate a season based on one game last season.

And while improvements need to be made, that has nothing to do with being deep or not. We have a deep team compared to most.

Certainly not, but the loss to Cincy was the last game. We lost 4 of our last 6, granted against good competition, but that doesn't feel like a likely top 20 team, especially when removing a very good (and by far our best) PG.

Making improvements has everything to do with being deep. Are you in consideration for the deepest team when your best PG would be the 3rd at his position on some teams? To be deep, and to quote the OP THE deepest team in the country, you need really good depth all over. Again, we will have a good team and could even have a special, deep run team, but I just found that statement a bit strange.

One can really only conclude this is a Swanigan reference. Particularly in light of all the wild panic that ensued with Dakich's tweet last week. Anyone in their right mind running the basketball twitter account would have to know how this would be interpreted. To borrow from the deflategate report, "it's more probable than not" he's talking about Swanigan. And if he isn't, he'd at least have to know how this vagueness would be misinterpreted. So if it's not Swanigan, he'd be a fool for tweeting that, right? All things considered... I think we can reasonably conclude it's about Swanigan. First you have the Dakich tweet, now this. This would be a ridiculous amount of smoke for no fire.

Given that... what is the hold-up? I mean, the news isn't "awesome, awesome" (as he states) unless it's pro-Purdue. And it's not pro-Purdue unless he's coming here. He must be coming here then, so what's the part that isn't done? The LOI? OK, that's possible, but it's not like it's standard practice for kid to announce a commitment until an LOI or aid paperwork is signed. So what the heck is it?

I just don't get the delayed announcement. What the heck is going on behind the scenes that is delaying him from committing if it is fact going to happen, but just not "done" yet? Purdue's got a clean reputation, so I have trust there, but if this kind of info was floating around about a kid being almost done to UK, there would be a mountain of innuendo swirling about what was happening to make it "done". Given the muck that college recruiting has become, this is just a weird situation that doesn't reflect in a positive way on Painter/Purdue, IMO.

Last edited:
This tweet was 22 hours ago.. .so about what 3pm eastern? Which I believe is just before Johnny Hill signed? I would imagine that's all this is. Lot of times people just want something so bad they see it everywhere.

Very accurate in more ways than 1.

I like how Octeus wasn't shit when he was announced as coming here and he left as a godsend. The truth is, he was a good player and clearly somewhere in the middle the whole time. We hit our stride when he got comfortable in the system and comfortable in his role.

If Hill can do similar, AND assimilate quicker...this team will be miles better. Basketball players develop. We had 2 starters who were TRUE Freshmen for gods sake. If Mathias and Edwards and Smotherman can make Ray Davis type jumps in their games....watch out.

I like how Octeus wasn't shit when he was announced as coming here and he left as a godsend. The truth is, he was a good player and clearly somewhere in the middle the whole time. We hit our stride when he got comfortable in the system and comfortable in his role.

If Hill can do similar, AND assimilate quicker...this team will be miles better. Basketball players develop. We had 2 starters who were TRUE Freshmen for gods sake. If Mathias and Edwards and Smotherman can make Ray Davis type jumps in their games....watch out.
Post of the week!

1. Swanigan committing

Just remember the H&R reference. Nothing personal against TMill, but this is the kind of stuff that is designed to attract viewers, with no substance.

All Hill needs to do is be a leader along with Davis and Hammons, play hard and be the best team player he can be.

With J. Hill we have no question marks anymore...all spots solid.

Now if Taylor and the Juniors live up to their potential this team will do big things in conference and have a deep run in the tourney.

Add Swanigan and then things go up a notch.............

Boiler Up!

I was under the understanding that the tweet was made after the Hill commitment was circulated. The Goodman tweet was minutes before this one.

Yeah, I would assume the "awesome news" was about Hill and the "not done yet" was to say they are still trying to add someone. He's most likely referring to Biggie with that last part but it's not like he's guaranteeing anything. Basically, he didn't say anything that everyone doesn't already kind of know.

Overall I think it's a positive/encouraging tweet, but nothing solid of course. I think it indicates positive things are still happening (RE CS).

I'm sure we'd all rather have him tweet, "Not done yet!!!!" rather than "That's it, closing up shop.", right??

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!

Overall I think it's a positive/encouraging tweet, but nothing solid of course. I think it indicates positive things are still happening (RE CS).

I'm sure we'd all rather have him tweet, "Not done yet!!!!" rather than "That's it, closing up shop.", right??

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!

"HOPE".....now I need to go watch The Shawshank Redemption....ha ha

Yeah, I would assume the "awesome news" was about Hill and the "not done yet" was to say they are still trying to add someone. He's most likely referring to Biggie with that last part but it's not like he's guaranteeing anything.
Ah... It did not register to me that these 2 sentences could be separate/unrelated. That actually makes a lot of sense that the first was about Hill and the 2nd was a reference to that of continued recruitment for the 2015 class (obviously Swanigan). If that's the case, I'm a little disappointed in the tweet; nothing against Hill, but I'm not sure that commitment in itself is "awesome, awesome news".

Certainly not, but the loss to Cincy was the last game. We lost 4 of our last 6, granted against good competition, but that doesn't feel like a likely top 20 team, especially when removing a very good (and by far our best) PG.

Making improvements has everything to do with being deep. Are you in consideration for the deepest team when your best PG would be the 3rd at his position on some teams? To be deep, and to quote the OP THE deepest team in the country, you need really good depth all over. Again, we will have a good team and could even have a special, deep run team, but I just found that statement a bit strange.

But you can't pick and choose. There's 1 position that we aren't considered "deep" at. Would other teams DREAM of having Hammons/Haas? Uh, yup. It's hard just to find 1 capable center.

Ah... It did not register to me that these 2 sentences could be separate/unrelated. That actually makes a lot of sense that the first was about Hill and the 2nd was a reference to that of continued recruitment for the 2015 class (obviously Swanigan). If that's the case, I'm a little disappointed in the tweet; nothing against Hill, but I'm not sure that commitment in itself is "awesome, awesome news".
You don't think that getting a guy they were targeting as soon as players started to become available at a position of great need is Awesome Awesome news, from a guy who is paid to generate hype and use hyperbole?

You don't think that getting a guy they were targeting as soon as players started to become available at a position of great need is Awesome Awesome news, from a guy who is paid to generate hype and use hyperbole?
In fairness, Painter targeted several PGs. If Hill was far and away the best PG transfer option available with great experience/numbers, I might call that awesome awesome news. I think Purdue got better at the PG position with his commitment, don't get me wrong, but I'm not getting carried away with it.

Side note: I don't think I've ever used a score of "awesome awesome" to rate something. If I ever said that, I would be using it in the sense of something being extremely good news, something with a bigtime wow factor, major impact, etc. Alternatively, maybe Forman has some weird 5-point awesomeness rating scale and this was a 2-awesome rating for him. If that were the case and Ennis was the commit, I'd probably scored that a 4 on his hypothetical 5-awesome scale. I'd probably give Hill a 2-awesome, so maybe that's what Forman was doing. Side note 2: Yes, a sliding scale using 5-awesome scoring technology is borderline stupid and not likely what he meant. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT