ADVERTISEMENT

Changes to the NIT

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010

If you'd rather not read the article, in sum, there are no more automatic bids to the NIT for regular season conference champions. Instead, there will be 2 automatic bids from EACH of the 6 majors (B1G, SEC, ACC, B-East, PAC-whatever, B12). Sounds like even if they have losing records. Don't like it. At all.

If you'd rather not read the article, in sum, there are no more automatic bids to the NIT for regular season conference champions. Instead, there will be 2 automatic bids from EACH of the 6 majors (B1G, SEC, ACC, B-East, PAC-whatever, B12). Sounds like even if they have losing records. Don't like it. At all.
Info is probably more useful on the IU board.

Sounds like a revenue move.

I looked at last year's field though, and there were 14 teams from Power 6 conferences in the field, if you count Cincinnati, which wasn't then but is now. So that part isn't going to be terribly different. Where it will be different is the regular season champ from the Big Sky vs a middle team from like the American.

I looked at last year's field though, and there were 14 teams from Power 6 conferences in the field, if you count Cincinnati, which wasn't then but is now. So that part isn't going to be terribly different. Where it will be different is the regular season champ from the Big Sky vs a middle team from like the American.
In practice, I think that the power conferences will pick up several more invitations. The 2 per conference is just an established floor.

The NIT is irrelevant now and if that is a choice I would rather not play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT