ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings to BYU

Did you read the press conference? Painter basically said all those things. He was very clear! Catchings decommited. Then he contacted Painterthe next day and painter said no thanks . Those are painters words ! That’s kind of obvious.

Next painter said the issue was about what role he would play. And painter said Edey and Loyer didn’t have roles, they created them. That’s also straight from painter and kind of obvious.

Painter said catchings left because of his uncertainty about what role he would play, it’s kind of obvious for the last 5 years, painter plays a guard at the 3 and not a small forward.

If catchings left because he didn’t know what his role was going to be as painter said in his press conference, it’s kind of obvious. That Catchings finally realized he wasn’t going to play the 3 any time soon at Purdue. And if Catchings wanted to play the 4, he would have had no reason to leave and Tkr could play the 5.

Painter is never forthcoming about the real reasons players leave. And he doesn’t talk negative about players. But it’s kind of obvious there have been a lot of behind the scenes issues. Painter doesn’t usually say anything about players other than he wishes them well. Painter said publicly in his press conference that catching asked to return and he said no. That speaks volumes!

So when Painter says catching left because he didn’t understand what his role at Purdue would be , it’s kind of easy to conclude Catchings wanted to play the 3 and painter said no, you will play the 4.

And so Catchings said fine and left. I’ll wager at BYU that Catchings will play the 3 and not the 4
You must be listening to a different press conference. It was clearly not about the position and about how much playing time he would get. He used Edey and loyer as examples… Edey was not worried about whether he was not a 5 and loyer was not worried about being a guard. You don’t need to read between the lines or interpret, painter just speaks as it is.

You don’t even know how to spell his name yet you are the one person here who thinks he wants to play the 3, lol.

You literally just posted in another thread that “katchings” was going to play the 3 and now that he decommitted painter would go BACK to a 3 guard system. It was literally you and ONLY you who said what you are accusing of others and not yourself for saying Purdue would change his system. You make up in your head every post whatever you want to try to be right….
I never said painter would go “back” to playing a 3 guard system. I said painter refused to change his system to put a small forward in the three spot.

I said I would play catchings at the 3, but I highly doubted Painter would.

I also read what Catchings said. His dream is not to play for Purdue. His dream is to play in the nba! Do you really believe his dream is to play the 4 in the nba? I sure don’t. And if he is not going to play the 4 in the nba, why would he have any interest in playing the 4 at Purdue?

Painter loves having a 3 guard offense. I personally think that’s a dumb idea and creates a lot of matchup issues on offense and defense when going against teams that have small forwards.

It seems obvious to me Painter had no plans to change his offense and allow catchings to play the 3. So painter is not going to go back to the three guard offense because he never left it or changed it. It was always going to stay the same with or without catchings.

You must be listening to a different press conference. It was clearly not about the position and about how much playing time he would get. He used Edey and loyer as examples… Edey was not worried about whether he was not a 5 and loyer was not worried about being a guard. You don’t need to read between the lines or interpret, painter just speaks as it is.
I read the transcript of the press conference rather than listened to it.

Painter used the term roles as the reason Catchings left. You interpret that to mean starting or coming off that bench. I interpreted that as the position Catchings would play. You could be right. Or I could be right. We will see.

But just because we have differing opinions is no reason to bad mouth others and name call others you disagree with.

When it come to talking about me, I know who the posters are. You haven't changed. When I stopped posting. You found someone new to bad mouth and berate!

The biggest question is the context and definition of the term role. Painter said Catchings wasn’t sure what his role would be.

Some people may interpret that as Catchings wasn’t sure if his role was going to be as a starter or coming off the bench or platooning with another player.

My interpretation of Catchings not knowing what his role was going to be is more about the position he wanted to play was in conflict with the position painter told him he was going to play. My interpretation is that Catchings wanted to play the 3 and that wasn’t going to happen at Purdue.

And that’s the real reason he left.

I believe we can all agree Catchings wanted to start. Where we disagree is the interpretation of what Painter meant by his usage of the term role. Was it about starting? Or was it about his position he’d be expected to play?
Here's the deal bud:

1. You've made the same point literally a dozen plus times now. We get it. We understand it. It's one thing to have a back and forth. But you don't go forth, you just keep going back to the same argument over and over again as if someone this time someone will suddenly agree with you.

2. Regardless, you've created a whole thing out of a small thing. His "role" could mean as a starter. Or it could mean to be featured for the NBA. Maybe he wanted to be guaranteed to be the primary scoring option. There's nothing there that says "wants to play the 3." Nothing. Nada. Zip. Bupkis.

Painter said Catchings left because he wasn’t sure what his role would be. Catchings has already said he was only going to play 1 year maybe 2 max at college Looking at Purdue and your knowledge of it and Painter, what Role would you see Catchings playing at Purdue the next two years?

Do you see Catchings starting at the 3? I sure don’t. Not with Painter’s love of playing. Guards at the three.

Do you see catchings starting at the 4? I don’t. TKR has 2 years left. And if Jacobson doesn’t start at the 5 this year, he surely will next year.

what role do you see catchings playing the next two years? Coming off the bench?

I believe this is a clear case that Catchings realized that there was no clear role for him at Purdue. Painter already brought in Harrisand Myles and those other two guards to play the three.

I personally don’t see Catchings as a 4 in college or in the pros!

A couple of days ago, Catchings said his focus had changed and he wanted to focus on playing in the nba. That sure sounded like he wanted to start and also play the position he was going to play in the pros. Catchings is never going to play the 4 in the pros. So it seems natural he would want to play the 3 and start at the 3, And it seems logical Painter said no. At Purdue, guards play the 3.

So catchings left to play for a school that will slow him to play the 3. Does that really sound like I’m stretching and reaching?
You say “I” a lot. Which means your opinion and not fact.

Reactions: Schnelk and BBG
Painter gave a press conference today and said Katchings called him back the next day after decommiting and wanted to come back and Painter said, no thanks. He said he left because he was uncertain what his role at Purdue would be. Painter replied, you create roles.

If you read my previous posts, it sure does appear katching wanted to play the 3 but painter doesn’t play 6’8 small forwards at the 3 and Katchings didn’t want to play the 4 or share it with TKR and that’s where painter wanted him to play.

You might say Katchings saw Jacobson play well at the under 19 games And was afraid he would start at center, tkr would slide into the 4 spot and Painter refused to make the 3 spot a spot for small forwards. So there was no place for Katchings.

Basically painter didn’t want to change his offense to accommodate Katchings. Who was it here that said painter would change his offense based on the talent of his players? It sure wasn’t me.

katching didn’t see an opening next year or the following year where he would have a chance to start. And he sure wasn’t going to redshirt or wait 3 years for his opportunity to shine.

Maybe byu Uses small forwards to play their 3 spot. Because it sure doesn’t look like Painter ever will. Look at his recruits. He recruits 3 point shooting guards and big men. He doesn’t recruit small forwards to play the 3. Heide, Harris, cox, Myles and all the rest are guards. Berg, Jacobson, burgess are big men. Katchings thought he had an open path to starting at the small forward position. The lone problem is Painter doesn’t have that position.
Heide is listed as a forward and is 6’7…he played the 3 all last year and will play it this year.

And again all you want to post about is me!
Na you're just very easy to rile up and make a fool of. Hell you do it to yourself all the time as it is.

Plus there is nothing going on now so getting you all flustered is entertaining at least. I mean you have been the same old blowhard, fabricating person that pretty much everyone on here mocks since the day you came here. You aren't going to change, so the only thing left to do is continue to rile up your inner karen and watch you spaz out.

Last edited:
I never said painter would go “back” to playing a 3 guard system. I said painter refused to change his system to put a small forward in the three spot.

I also read what Catchings said. His dream is not to play for Purdue. His dream is to play in the nba! Do you really believe his dream is to play the 4 in the nba? I sure don’t. And if he is not going to play the 4 in the nba, why would he have any interest in playing the 4 at Purdue?

Painter loves having a 3 guard offense. I personally think that’s a dumb idea and creates a lot of matchup issues on offense and defense when going against teams that have small forwards.

It seems obvious to me Painter had no plans to change his offense and allow catchings to play the 3. So painter is not going to go back to the three guard offense because he never left it or changed it. It was always going to stay the same with or without catchings.
Well someone should let the coach of the national runner ups and 5 time big ten coach of the year know they wole thinks his strategy is dumb. Forget about the fact he played Hummel and Vincent Edwards at the 3 because of personnel or that he on occasion would play larger lineups due to matchups, Wole observed he will play 3 guards as an absolute!

You read someone wants to play in the nba and fabricated a weak connection to position. There are lots of people his size and skillset at the 4 and even the 5 in the nba!

How to say you don't watch Purdue basketball without saying you don't watch Purdue basketball. Painter bases his lineup on the talent he has. That's no secret. If you were paying attention, you would have noticed that he has had several "true" SFs playing at that position. This has been pointed out to you many, many times, but you think ignoring it and posting the same false information over and over is being original and courageous.

That was a general statement around 'unless you think Paint is lying', wasn't aimed at you.

Yes regarding Gillis going to Duke and Painter explicitly saying that he would have held a scholarship for Gillis and Morton. A lot of fans outside of the Purdue fan base had a hard time believing that it was a really a mutual thing for Mason to not come back to Purdue.
a lot of fans Inside the Purdue fan base have a hard time believing it.
Trust that Matt values Mason by a factor several times what many fans think.

Trust that Matt values Mason by a factor several times what many fans think.
Yeah no doubt. With him talking about it and discussing what’s best for them before last season makes a lot of sense. Sounds like he was willing to keep spots open for them if they wanted it and they understood it was time to move on for both sides.

Trust that Matt values Mason by a factor several times what many fans think
I agree that there are a lot of Purdue fans who don't get it and I can understand why. To me, it makes sense on a few levels:
  • There was nothing left for Mason to accomplish at Purdue from a personal or career/team perspective.
  • Going somewhere like Duke will not only allow Mason to get paid in a way that Purdue just doesn't do but to also further his education and develop a whole new network of people who can help him after basketball.
  • Matt realizes that this year's team will be good but next year's squad can be great. He would have never told Mason he wasn't welcome to come back but recognizes that it is better to develop players who will be here in two years.

I agree that there are a lot of Purdue fans who don't get it and I can understand why. To me, it makes sense on a few levels:
  • There was nothing left for Mason to accomplish at Purdue from a personal or career/team perspective.
  • Going somewhere like Duke will not only allow Mason to get paid in a way that Purdue just doesn't do but to also further his education and develop a whole new network of people who can help him after basketball.
  • Matt realizes that this year's team will be good but next year's squad can be great. He would have never told Mason he wasn't welcome to come back but recognizes that it is better to develop players who will be here in two years.
Correct on all levels. AND Mason said Duke was his dream school growing up (prior to Purdue offering) so it’s great he has that opportunity.

It’s crazy that this thread goes on for pages and pages talking about a kid who decomitted. And no, a young kid changing his mind about where he wants to play college ball is not evidence of moral turpitude. Moreover, if Painter isn’t worked up about, and he put the effort into recruiting the kid, not sure why fans should be…especially don’t understand wishing the kid ill.

This too.

Reactions: northside100
It’s crazy that this thread goes on for pages and pages talking about a kid who decomitted. And no, a young kid changing his mind about where he wants to play college ball is not evidence of moral turpitude. Moreover, if Painter isn’t worked up about, and he put the effort into recruiting the kid, not sure why fans should be…especially don’t understand wishing the kid ill.
I agree. I wish Kanon no ill will and nothing but the best. I have heard nothing from him on the situation and I think that is what is best. To me, it is over and best to let it go. I don't think Painter needs to talk on it further either. What's done is done.

I agree. I wish Kanon no ill will and nothing but the best. I have heard nothing from him on the situation and I think that is what is best. To me, it is over and best to let it go. I don't think Painter needs to talk on it further either. What's done is done.
I don’t think painter will or wants to…hopefully he doesn’t get asked about anymore

Who wished him ill?

Reactions: z_one
I wouldn't get worked up by one person's comment in a thread that, as you said, goes on for pages and pages. Speaking for myself, I hope Catchings learns a lesson from this and that he doesn't simply get what he wants handed to him because he has talent. He should have to compete for it and earn it. Based on reports, he didn't feel that way when he decommitted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poprudy
Wait, I thought he was going to Indinia? That’s what one of their basketball savants said over a year and nearly 1,200 posts ago! Little brothers are truly obsessed with the Boilers! Of course, almost none of them actually went to IU, and fewer of them know anything or have th least bit of basketball sense. They do, however, all lurk here! IU Sucks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT