ADVERTISEMENT

Carson Barrett and Isaiah Thompson are the new grad assistants

Interesting with Isaiah coming back. I imagine Painter had a honest conversation a couple years ago about where he stood, and both parties agreed maybe he would do better at a mid major. I have no idea, but if he's coming back, it seems to indicate something like this

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Interesting with Isaiah coming back. I imagine Painter had a honest conversation a couple years ago about where he stood, and both parties agreed maybe he would do better at a mid major. I have no idea, but if he's coming back, it seems to indicate something like this
Yeah probably get more playing time. Smith clearly was better than him and I guess DJJ was too. But good to have him back!

Weren't PJ Thompson and Sasha the grad assistants this year? CMP especially sang PJ's praises.

Nope. They were a couple of years ago. They had paid positions this year. Tommy Luce was a grad assistant.
And Jared Wulbrun was the other. The article notes Jared and Johnny Hill (another former GA) are now on coaching staff at UIC, wonder what the Purdue connection is there or is it just a coincidence they hired to former Purdue GAs at the same time?

Last edited:
They can be grad assistants for two years. After that time, they can be hired for other positions within the athletic department. Isn’t Painter limited to the amount of assistant coaches he can have? But the athletic department can hire players for various positions such as the one Sasha filled.

They can be grad assistants for two years. After that time, they can be hired for other positions within the athletic department. Isn’t Painter limited to the amount of assistant coaches he can have? But the athletic department can hire players for various positions such as the one Sasha filled.
Not correct, once again spewing out garbage. There is a limit to staff that supports baskebtall including Sasha’s position of Director of Player Personnel. In fact the ncaa language specifically includes that position. Positions that are exempt must be clerical or not specifically support the basketball program like academic advisor, equipment manager, marketing staff, and trainers. I believe the new limits are 5 assistant coaches, one support (director of player personnel in our case) and 2 grad assistants. Our five assistants are Brantley, Lusk, Johnson, PJ, and Kabo. They added two last year allowing PJ and sasha to get new roles with kabo I believe technically filling in a coach position freeing up a spot for Sasha. The added coaches may not recruit off-campus though.

Reactions: Emartin70287
Also they changed the rule last year sheets voluntary coaches count. Teams were finding loopholes for special assistants in particular coaches that left other teams with offset language.

Not correct, once again spewing out garbage. There is a limit to staff that supports baskebtall including Sasha’s position of Director of Player Personnel. In fact the ncaa language specifically includes that position. Positions that are exempt must be clerical or not specifically support the basketball program like academic advisor, equipment manager, marketing staff, and trainers. I believe the new limits are 5 assistant coaches, one support (director of player personnel in our case) and 2 grad assistants. Our five assistants are Brantley, Lusk, Johnson, PJ, and Kabo. They added two last year allowing PJ and sasha to get new roles with kabo I believe technically filling in a coach position freeing up a spot for Sasha. The added coaches may not recruit off-campus though.
I say learn some comprehension skills. I said there was a limit to assistant coaches. I also said there are other positions people can officially occupy as a Purdue staff within the athletic department that are not classified as coaching positions.

You just argued with me without reading what I said. Did I say Sasha was hired as a coach or even with basketball? No I did not.

I say learn some comprehension skills. I said there was a limit to assistant coaches. I also said there are other positions people can officially occupy as a Purdue staff within the athletic department that are not classified as coaching positions.

You just argued with me without reading what I said. Did I say Sasha was hired as a coach or even with basketball? No I did not.
You are correct you said both of those things and neither were wrong. I read what you said and re-read it. You didn’t say sasha was hired as a coach or support positions and basically said he was not and you are confirming that is your belief in your response. And that is where you are wrong, he is paints limited support position. And by making your factually inaccurate comment you are implying the AD can hire people to support basketball that don’t count against the limit and that is 100% inaccurate. There were loopholes but they were closed last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT