ADVERTISEMENT

Card out for Illinois

Per Tom D. Concussion protocol.
daffy duck GIF

I like Card, but the fact is, he hasn't been productive. Not all his fault though. But who knows, maybe this is the opportunity the new kid needs.
Agree. I had a ton of reservations about him when we picked him up. Never seemed like a guy who was willing or able to make tough throws from the pocket. His UT experience was meh, but I was told that since he mustered 10 points in 40 game minutes and a near win in a home game loss vs Bama that he was really really good.

Needed to use his feet more while he was here. Not that that’s really his skill set but he could run a little and getting him out of the pocket or having the threat of him out of the pocket was sadly some of our better offense the past 2 years.

Seems like a good kid and I hope he enjoyed his time here. Definitely could have been better somewhere else but it’s not like we stunted his growth into a pro or anything

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I personally like Card. I think he has a lot of talent. Unfortunately, I think he's missing that "it" gene where he can overcome adversity and put the team on his back. He's also not all that accurate. He does seem to be pretty good with his feet, but we really don't use him that way (I guess to keep him from injury). Be interesting to see if he had someone like Brohm coaching him.

Considering our offense sucks a change at QB was needed regardless this week. Good luck to Browne this weekend. I sincerely hope the staff has him much better prepared than last year at NW.

I personally like Card. I think he has a lot of talent. Unfortunately, I think he's missing that "it" gene where he can overcome adversity and put the team on his back. He's also not all that accurate. He does seem to be pretty good with his feet, but we really don't use him that way (I guess to keep him from injury). Be interesting to see if he had someone like Brohm coaching him.

Considering our offense sucks a change at QB was needed regardless this week. Good luck to Browne this weekend. I sincerely hope the staff has him much better prepared than last year at NW.
I agree with most of what you’re saying.

But overall I don’t think he’s a plan A Brohm QB in the portal. Not to say we would t have taken him but Brohm wants a 3 read QB and Card ain’t it.

Don’t remind me about that NW game last year. All things considered I think Browne looked decent. The issue was we kept pulling Browne and putting in Meredith to go 3 and out even when Browne was moving the team.

Browne would have done some big time developing and maybe even won the game if we left him in.

Hoping we can run the ball a bit better with him in there this weekend!

I agree with most of what you’re saying.

But overall I don’t think he’s a plan A Brohm QB in the portal. Not to say we would t have taken him but Brohm wants a 3 read QB and Card ain’t it.

Don’t remind me about that NW game last year. All things considered I think Browne looked decent. The issue was we kept pulling Browne and putting in Meredith to go 3 and out even when Browne was moving the team.

Browne would have done some big time developing and maybe even won the game if we left him in.

Hoping we can run the ball a bit better with him in there this weekend!
Totally agree with everything here.

I think the “it” he’s missing is infrastructure and coaching around him. Seems like his O-Line sucks, his receivers can’t get separation, the playcalling and offensive system isn’t doing him any favors, and he’s constantly playing while trailing by multiple scores where they’re obviously having to pass so the D can pin its ears back.

Card seems fine, everything around him is working against him.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
You could stick Houdini back there and nothing changes until the line is fixed. Line play on each side of ball is dismal.

I thought Hartwig said a couple of weeks ago that our offensive line is the best it’s ever been since he has been at Purdue.

Was he being sarcastic? Or is this as good as it’s ever going to get?

If this is the best our line has ever been and it’s still bad, Then perhaps we need to reassess our priorities when recruiting players. Maybe we should be more like Iowa and Wisconsin. And have our linemen be our best recruits rattan our QBs and DBs.

Look at USC! They had mediocre QBs become Heisman trophy winners because they had all the time in the world to throw the ball. The same is true for Alabama and OSU. Purdue doesn’t need more 4 star QBs. What we need are 4 star linemen. They do exist. And the best ones in Indiana are going elsewhere. And we recently just lost another one.

maybe now i will watch game tomorrow , to see how Browne does. Really hope the man does well, been sitting so long and staying with team regardless of playing, time for him to have his day

I would like for Davila to get some snaps in the game. He is a better passer and not a run first qb
I like Davilas size at 6’3 and 240 he can take a little bit of punishment and he’s not a bad runner and an exceptional thrower in high school.
We just need a change and hopefully this is it.

I think the “it” he’s missing is infrastructure and coaching around him. Seems like his O-Line sucks, his receivers can’t get separation, the playcalling and offensive system isn’t doing him any favors, and he’s constantly playing while trailing by multiple scores where they’re obviously having to pass so the D can pin its ears back.

Card seems fine, everything around him is working against him.
great post, I was going to post the same thoughts

I like Davilas size at 6’3 and 240 he can take a little bit of punishment and he’s not a bad runner and an exceptional thrower in high school.
We just need a change and hopefully this is it.
may see him in the 2nd half, w/ this OLine Browne will be running on empty by the 4th quarter

It would be nice to see Purdue try something different, because it's obvious what they've been doing is not working! Unfortunately, it appears it isn't obvious yet to Walters and Company and therein lies the real problem!

Coaching staff is kind of in a lose-lose situation regardless of the outcome this weekend as its pretty much going to come down to QB play either way.

Browne starts and we win - why the hell wasn't he playing earlier?

Browne starts and we lose - why the hell wasn't Browne prepared more?

Yeah, even the best QBs aren't going to thrive if they don't have the players and coaches around them. It's hard to pin all of this on Card.

Yeah, even the best QBs aren't going to thrive if they don't have the players and coaches around them. It's hard to pin all of this on Card.
OL is spotty, so the best QB is someone who can run for their life. We have only 1 consistent WR and Klare is not a WR, but a TE. A good QB would not have anyone to throw to.

This team was not constructed correctly. How could we have an OC that was going to bring an “air raid” when you don’t have the QB, OL or WRs to possibly accomplish this goal. His calls were as vanilla as possible.

Horrible recruiting and execution on both sides of the ball. Defense is not any better. Walters wants to recruit all secondary players. Not going to matter when your LBs or DL cannot put any pressure on the QB. Bobinski went with the cheapest option and hoped he would get lucky. He was wrong.

If only we had an opportunity to get Browne some snaps before tomorrow.
This is what makes me the most angry. Browne could have played in 8-10 games between last year and this year but our coach refused. Now Browne is thrown into an impossible position. If he even looks average he should be our qb the rest of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT