ADVERTISEMENT

Car mechanic type question...neighbor lady has a Mercury Milan that has....

Boiler20

All-American
May 29, 2001
...that has gone into 'limp home' mode. She just got a recall notice from Ford talking about a defective 'electronic throttle body' needing to be reprogrammed, or, if the part has already gone defective and the plastic gears inside the ETB, a few teeth will be stripped out of the plastic gearing inside the ETB, necessitating a part replacement.

Anyone know anything about this type of repair and how long it would take a dealer service department to reprogram or replace? It is located on the top of the engine near the bottom of the windshield.

I told her I'd follow her to the dealership to make sure she doesn't get stranded, but that we should do it to arrive before the service department opens so she can be first in line and get her in/out quickly to get her on her way to work. I told her it would most likely be less than an hour at most.

Thoughts?

The part would typically need to be replaced AND reprogrammed. The time to complete the replace and reprogram is around 2 hours, however, it will depend if the dealership has the part and how busy they are in the service department. Some dealers work on appointments and others don't. Sounds like you're already headed to the service department, though.

The info i came directly from a technical service instructor at Ford who I just spoke with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT