ADVERTISEMENT

Can't trust Twitter...is B1G Football is back?

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001

Stewart Mandel twitter only mentioned optimism, but I'll run with Sir Yacht and hope it is correct.

Hmmm...Jeff Potrykus whom is plugged in pretty good isn't saying anything.

Redacted: Sir Yacht seems to be humoring poster. I've see a few of his post. Might be like "The Onion".
Not as excited as when I first read it this afternoon. Not even sure that person is plugged in at all. FAKE NEWS!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermaker24
Espn reporting a vote possibly tmr. Clay Travis heard the same and thought we could have an answer early next week.

Stewart Mandel twitter only mentioned optimism, but I'll run with Sir Yacht and hope it is correct.

Hmmm...Jeff Potrykus whom is plugged in pretty good isn't saying anything.

Redacted: Sir Yacht seems to be humoring poster. I've see a few of his post. Might be like "The Onion".
Not as excited as when I first read it this afternoon. Not even sure that person is plugged in at all. FAKE NEWS!
I think the B1G presidents are realizing how silly they look.

My doctor said those rapid test are not reliable
My family have several doctors and research doctors in it. My understanding is 96 to 98% reliability. But you have to get that one it doesn’t just show up at your front porch

My family have several doctors and research doctors in it. My understanding is 96 to 98% reliability. But you have to get that one it doesn’t just show up at your front porch

Yes, they aren't all the same. The ACC, SEC, etc. are not using the rapid tests that are emerging onto the market.

Last edited:
Huh? I got tested at a friggin Walgreens in Indy six weeks ago, got the results back in 3 hours, and I’m a nobody. You’re telling me they couldn’t have tested B1G football players in 24 hours?

There's a number of types of tests out there - some more reliable than others. There's a lot of factors involved, including if there's an in-house lab vs. having to ship off to a lab, for example. Some company's labs are more backed up than others. etc. It really varies from city to city, state to state, and company to company.

Any rapid test out there for the general public right now is most likely not highly reliable - many will only detect an infection 50% of the time. Still helpful, but certainly not when you "must" know (i.e. playing a contact sport).

The emerging rapid testing is highly accurate and can get results in 15 minutes - this is what the Pac 12 recently signed on for with Quidel and will receive the machines and tests by October - https://pac-12.com/article/2020/09/...ndbreaking-testing-research-initiative-quidel

Right now, the football conferences playing football are not using these. They are using PCR tests which are lab tests. I don't know exact turn around times for every team - there's no uniformity just as there isn't across the country. However, I've seen quotes with regards to postponed games where they send the latest round of tests - came back a couple days later - with all of these positives. So my guess is most are 24-48 hour results. The SEC then added a "rapid test" prior to game day, but they aren't highly accurate ones...just an additional screening.

Of course, the timeliness of results are a big deal also when it comes to contact tracing. If a player was negative before practice yesterday, but tests positive before practice today - there's a much more limited scope of people he would have been in contact with between which helps to eliminate spread across the team, and within the community. So that would mean the number of people around him needing to quarantine would be much more limited.

So an accurate rapid test that the Big 10 is apparently obtaining will be a big difference maker.

Hope this is helpful.

Anybody see the testing rooms they had for NFL stadiums. They showed them in the pregame shows.
No, I didn't see that.
I'm just wondering aloud,"Is it easier to watch paint dry than find out what the B1G Presidents & Chancellors are thinking?" It has been 5 business hrs EST since open of the business day. What takes so long in vote / delivery of the message? Is the media going to get a Powerpoint presentation that has to be made, editted and approved before communicating to the masses?
I heard the topic of drawing of straws pre-vote, etc. and I'm beginning to wonder if they don't have enough votes to swing it.

No, I didn't see that.
I'm just wondering aloud,"Is it easier to watch paint dry than find out what the B1G Presidents & Chancellors are thinking?" It has been 5 business hrs EST since open of the business day. What takes so long in vote / delivery of the message? Is the media going to get a Powerpoint presentation that has to be made, editted and approved before communicating to the masses?
I heard the topic of drawing of straws pre-vote, etc. and I'm beginning to wonder if they don't have enough votes to swing it.

They obviously have been doing a lot of work behind the scenes and they want their next announcement to be what the actual next step is.

It's also a fluid situation. A number of Big Ten teams have had issues over the past couple of weeks - Barry Alvarez is saying their team could be ready in 3 weeks, while a couple days before the Wisconsin football team started a 2 week pause on all activities. So in 5 weeks? ha

If they are trying to secure a rapid test contract right now, voting and announcing this before that is a done deal would probably not be prudent - or maybe they need to find out the exact date they'll get the test kits.

If there is some uncertainty from some schools still, then the question is obviously whether it needs to be an all or nothing for the conference. And maybe the vote in that situation needs to be whether they unanimously approve letting schools make the individual choice to return on X date or what not.

There could be all sorts of things to iron out. It's not to say everyone's sitting on their hands.

I'm not sure what putting all of these factors and decisions out in the open really accomplishes. Sure, it's nice to know, but other than that it would just muddy the waters much more.

Two words: rapid testing. It's pretty simple.

doesn’t change the fact that they look silly. From the start I was saying how silly it was to “cancel” as opposed to just delay. You never know what advances are being made.

also, if it was as simple as rapid testing, then every school will go ahead right? That’s not what’s being reported. Things are rarely that simple.

doesn’t change the fact that they look silly. From the start I was saying how silly it was to “cancel” as opposed to just delay. You never know what advances are being made.

also, if it was as simple as rapid testing, then every school will go ahead right? That’s not what’s being reported. Things are rarely that simple.

It was announced as a postponement of the season, not cancelation, and the Big Ten's release said it would continue to evaluate options for a season, monitor developments, see what emerging technology is developed, etc. Just because some college football talking heads ran with their interpretation of it, doesn't mean that's not what the Big Ten announced.

Nobody ever said 1 single thing was the only issue. Rapid testing is a big deal! Without it, there wouldn't be a revisiting that we're seeing right now. But it's not solving every problem. Every campus is different and some of the worst positive testing campuses right now are in the Big Ten - multiple Big Ten campuses are "self quarantining" right now. Rapid testing certainly improves contact tracing but it doesn't perfect it.

And I gave the example of Wisconsin - their football team is on hold with any activities (including basic working out), their campus is now shut down 2 weeks - and Barry Alvarez is saying the team could be ready in 3 weeks. That doesn't exactly jive does it? Or is that 3 weeks after the 2 weeks?

Reactions: mryankee2397
It was announced as a postponement of the season, not cancelation, and the Big Ten's release said it would continue to evaluate options for a season, monitor developments, see what emerging technology is developed, etc. Just because some college football talking heads ran with their interpretation of it, doesn't mean that's not what the Big Ten announced.

Nobody ever said 1 single thing was the only issue. Rapid testing is a big deal! Without it, there wouldn't be a revisiting that we're seeing right now. But it's not solving every problem. Every campus is different and some of the worst positive testing campuses right now are in the Big Ten - multiple Big Ten campuses are "self quarantining" right now. Rapid testing certainly improves contact tracing but it doesn't perfect it.

And I gave the example of Wisconsin - their football team is on hold with any activities (including basic working out), their campus is now shut down 2 weeks - and Barry Alvarez is saying the team could be ready in 3 weeks. That doesn't exactly jive does it? Or is that 3 weeks after the 2 weeks?
3 weeks after the 2 week pause per Barry.
Return to practice Sept 24th...3 weeks would be Oct 15th.

3 weeks after the 2 week pause per Barry.
Return to practice Sept 24th...3 weeks would be Oct 15th.

Got it, thanks. 3 weeks after 2 weeks of doing nothing seems a bit rosy. But watching college football...a lot of teams don't look ready.

LOL. You really think those players are “doing nothing”?

The entire campus is in quarantine. They aren't out on the quad running captains practices. Sure, they can do some work outs and stuff on their own...but that's simply not the same as teams practicing and doing workouts with coaches and staff.

The entire campus is in quarantine. They aren't out on the quad running captains practices. Sure, they can do some work outs and stuff on their own...but that's simply not the same as teams practicing and doing workouts with coaches and staff.
I know folks in Madison. I can assure you the football team is not “quarantining” or “doing nothing”...

I know folks in Madison. I can assure you the football team is not “quarantining” or “doing nothing”...

Are they practicing in person and working out with their coaches?

Like I said, you can see the differences with many teams so far not having a traditional lead up to football. To say it literally has no effect on a team to have no team workouts/practices for 2 weeks - is a bit of a stretch. That's the equivalent of having a fall camp start August 15 and playing September 5. Not that it cannot be done. But there's also a reason a lot of coaches say they need 4, 5, 6 weeks....and not 3.

It's time for Warren to step down. This situation has been botched beyond repair for him. He clearly has zero clue with regards to PR. He doesn't even have enough respect for the ADs, coaches, and players to at least update them openly and honestly with what's going on. Pathetic...

It's time for Warren to step down. This situation has been botched beyond repair for him. He clearly has zero clue with regards to PR. He doesn't even have enough respect for the ADs, coaches, and players to at least update them openly and honestly with what's going on. Pathetic...

I have to agree. Waiting this long with no information to the public is a sign of a bad leader OR is negotiating something else with the White House which we know there has been some ongoing communication. Due to poor performance to this point, I’m in your corner and believe he is a bad Commissioner. Fire him now and buy out his contract. There has to be a savvy leader that could have positioned this with a better outcome and kept the confidence of fans, athletes, coaches, AD’s and Presidents. We’ll see how this plays out.

Reactions: purduepat1969

This is a bit dramatic....

He's not going to sit there and give updates to all the coaches when the coaches are running to the media if it's not what they want to hear. This decision - by the Presidents, NOT Warren, for the 100th time - should not be played out in public.

You're trying to make this something that it's not. At the end of the day, everyone wants to play and they're trying to get everything sorted out so it can be done safely and in a timely manner.

Except the real reason is unexpected pushback from players and paents, and watching some high school and college football actually played with success.

Read the initial announcement about postponing the season. Literally everything spelled out in that release is what has been happening. They never said they weren't playing until January or we're just gonna sit on our hands for a few months and not try to get back on the field.

A lot of people read into things, but the Big Ten never canceled the season, they never said it couldn't happen at any point in the fall, and they said they needed things like progress in rapidly evolving technology, etc.

The Pac 12 did the same thing and has the rapid testing coming in October. They're challenge is some schools aren't able to practice, and then you throw in these fires on top of it, so they are likely behind the timeline compared to the Big Ten.

I live in Madison and can tell you your info is not correct. Two dorms are on a 2 week quarantine, about 20% of the students out of over 2,000 have already tested positive. The rest of campus is open but classes moved to virtual once the cases started to spike last week. I am sure that workouts are taking place outside and that the players are avoiding the hot spots on campus.

He's not going to sit there and give updates to all the coaches when the coaches are running to the media if it's not what they want to hear. This decision - by the Presidents, NOT Warren, for the 100th time - should not be played out in public.

You're trying to make this something that it's not. At the end of the day, everyone wants to play and they're trying to get everything sorted out so it can be done safely and in a timely manner.

you could be right, but it’s still on Warren to be the mouthpiece for the league. He needs to sell it to the public. Instead, the communication/transparency has been horrible.

Reactions: purduepat1969

There has been absolutely zero communication to the fans/public or to the people who have a vested interest, the players. It's a bad look and the sign of an incompetent leader that either has a lack of confidence or arrogance and doesn't want to be questioned by the press. You can't be silent in this situation and expect everything to be OK.

this "testing" line is a excuse ... an "out" for them.

The tests don't remove the risks. We've been lectured for weeks about the risks, in spite of the risks being statistically insignificant.
Completely agree.

I think B10 thought all the conferences would follow their lead. Turns out, they just look really silly.

Reactions: Purdue85
Completely agree.

I think B10 thought all the conferences would follow their lead. Turns out, they just look really silly.

Why so negative!?? The Big Ten is playing a season and will be able to compete for everything else the SEC, ACC, Big 12 is.

Looks like you'd rather be right than be happy they found a way to get back on the field!

There has been absolutely zero communication to the fans/public or to the people who have a vested interest, the players. It's a bad look and the sign of an incompetent leader that either has a lack of confidence or arrogance and doesn't want to be questioned by the press. You can't be silent in this situation and expect everything to be OK.

What exactly was there to say? Their news release when they postponed outlined what they needed to do to get back on the field...are they supposed to give daily briefings that don't actually tell you anything? At the end of the day, there were a lot of Presidents to convince to switch to supporting playing football. That being played out in public probably doesn't help.

Why so negative!?? The Big Ten is playing a season and will be able to compete for everything else the SEC, ACC, Big 12 is.

Looks like you'd rather be right than be happy they found a way to get back on the field!

not true at all. I’m really pumped. Boiler up!

What exactly was there to say? Their news release when they postponed outlined what they needed to do to get back on the field...are they supposed to give daily briefings that don't actually tell you anything? At the end of the day, there were a lot of Presidents to convince to switch to supporting playing football. That being played out in public probably doesn't help.

You seem to be clueless to the world of communication and PR. There was zero communication directly from the Big Ten that they were even considering resuming football. Zero communications on meeting timelines. You don't just remain silent in this day and age. You owe communication to your constituents, which include players who are the ones actually most affected by this.

Thank you President Trump! If you didn't kick start the conversation with B1G Kevin Warren, I'd have likely would be pissed off till Spring and I would not have watched in protest of the decision not to play.
I can now get back to watching with interest. No matter what Libs say, he gets stuff done. He is brash and bravado and it rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but he gets stuff done.

Thank you President Trump! If you didn't kick start the conversation with B1G Kevin Warren, I'd have likely would be pissed off till Spring and I would not have watched in protest of the decision not to play.
I can now get back to watching with interest. No matter what Libs say, he gets stuff done. He is brash and bravado and it rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but he gets stuff done.

haha yes he has changed the mind of this undecided in a swing state

Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT