ADVERTISEMENT

Camp surprises?

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
Who will be the camp standout(s)?

What incoming freshmen will look good enough to contribute this year?

What upperclassmen will take a big step forward?

McKenna, Alexander, Johnson, and Moore are the newcomers I'll be the most curious about (not including the early enrollees). That is who I think is most likely to contribute early, but I think any of the incoming Dline/WR/Oline have a chance to see time early based on if they can show they are ready. Especially with the new redshirt rule.

Kirk, Blough/Sindelar, and Bailey are the obvious leaders. There leadership is going to go a long way this season. I don't think it will be an issue with them taking over the reigns. I think the season goes as they go.

As for upperclassmen, I expect the WKU transfer Dennis Edwards to have the biggest newcomer impact. He is one of the better Olinemen in the nation and will step right in at a position of need. I expect some freshmen to play out of need, but Edwards will start right away and should be one of the better players in the Big.

WR/Dline are the positions that will dictate how high Purdue can go this year. If Moore can step in with an immediate impact, giving a reliable threat at the WR position, that will help. The WR core should be better this year, but that really hinges on Moore.

Dline has the most questions. WR got the most reliable weapons from last year back with lots of new talent coming in. Dline essentially hits the rest button. Higgins and Neal is probably the only given at this point. The rest will probably be rotation. Marks and Johnson may play significant time as true freshmen. Normally, that is less than ideal, but they both have good size. It doesn't help us this year, but the '19 class has really focused on the Dline, and will being in some elite players in that area. Holt will have to be creative to get to the QB and luckily, he has two really good players at LB with some DBs that can get after the QB as well. The big thing for this Dline is don't get pushed around. With a good set of DBs, hopefully they can buy some more time for the line to get to the QBs.

Committees: right now it looks like it will be RB/QB/DL by committee. Who will stand out in those positions.

Improvements: this staff is so good, look for a few players to improve significantly. If those players are on the offensive/defensive line, Purdue could really surprise some folks.

What is the most important thing about camp?
Staying healthy is first and foremost. Purdue does not yet have the depth to deal with major injuries. Staying healthy is almost always the most important thing in camp. Can't take an L before the season even starts. The second most is getting everybody (especially the newcomers) up to speed and back into playing condition. Also, this will be the second year for Purdue in this offense, look for coach to open up the playbook a little.

It feels like 3 years since the Bowl win and we are still a few weeks away from actual games. This will help a little, but I can't wait for that first game!!

I believe Moore and Anderson will give us big play capability. Anxious to see if one or both can be involved with kickoff and punt returns. We have to do more with punt returns this year than to just fair catch it constantly.

I am hoping LBs really emerge during this camp. I was hoping for a JC transfer to help us this year, but it didn’t happen. We know Bailey is the foundation of our defense, but he is going to need help.

Also, curious if we go with one kicker this year over rotation.

I expect WKU transfer Edwards to be solid, but what indicates that he will be one of the better players in the BIG?? Lots of good O-lineman in this league.

I'm expecting a lot out of Anderson and Moore, just like everyone else.

Hoping some guys can step up on defense, which I'm sure Holt is on.

I also hope we stick to just one kicker this year. I thought it was strange to make it a rotation for field goals.

Can't wait for this season.

I think one of the 2017 redshirts will surprise people. Probably Reviere at DE and/or Stickford at OT.

Surprises, I think one of the walk-on LBs will make an impact, if not both. Williams looks like a player. Randall might be undersized, but he was all over the field during the spring game.

Reactions: StickPurdue
Kory Taylor. He will take over the Mahoungou role by the the time our opening homestand is over. Taller, faster and most likely better hands. He will have something like 25 catches for 500 yards, crazy ypc.
It would be nice to have someone again have a freshman season like John Standeford did his freshman year.

I would call Deen to linebacker a surprise. Also surprised Jack Smith became eligible, but has to pass a health screening first.

Not surprised Alexander had a good start to camp running with the ones. That dude can play.

Negative surprise was the inconsistency on the deep balls. Got to have a deep threat. Last year when Purdue got on a roll it was because of big plays. Drops kill rythem and momentum.

Love the defensive back core. Young but talented. I think we will see Trice play some even with experienced safeties ahead of him. Coaching staff may have to get creative at linebacker, but the line looks seevicible on both sides of the ball. Depth is the main concern.

Going to need a lot to go right, but this could be a special year! I like my 5-8 win prediction about meow.

J&C just put out an article on this topic. I am as interested in seeing how Moore and the rest of the Freshman work out this year. I am also very interested to see how RS-FR Hamilton does and if he works his way to meaningful minutes. We have a lot of young talent at WR with more coming next year. With so many young guys we may see some growing pains this year, but I feel like WR is one position that we will be very deep at for years to come. I also saw that DJ Edwards moved to CB. I was wondering why his name hadn't been mentioned among WR's. I must have some how missed that news.

Pleasantly surprised to see Giovanni Rievere starting at DE. He attended the school where my son attended and my wife works in Chattanooga (McCallie). Have watched him play since he was an eighth grader. Always a big kid with talent, but thought he was a little soft. Obviously, he is no longer a little soft. Good luck to him.

J&C just put out an article on this topic. I am as interested in seeing how Moore and the rest of the Freshman work out this year. I am also very interested to see how RS-FR Hamilton does and if he works his way to meaningful minutes. We have a lot of young talent at WR with more coming next year. With so many young guys we may see some growing pains this year, but I feel like WR is one position that we will be very deep at for years to come. I also saw that DJ Edwards moved to CB. I was wondering why his name hadn't been mentioned among WR's. I must have some how missed that news.

Where did you see Edwards moved to cb? He isn’t on the roster

I think the biggest camp surprise so far is Purdue having a real chance at tO$U. Sampson James & David Bell will likely give serious consideration to Purdue now that tO$U is mired in Meyer scandal.
Purdue only had 1 practice to see that unfold.

I believe the biggest surprise is the late additions of DL Lane and LB Smith who worked very hard to academically qualify! We definitely need them at our thin positions.
Lane has been qualified since March. He was supposed to enroll in january 19 but a scholarship came open early. Smith was a surpise.

I think the biggest camp surprise so far is Purdue having a real chance at tO$U. Sampson James & David Bell will likely give serious consideration to Purdue now that tO$U is mired in Meyer scandal.
Purdue only had 1 practice to see that unfold.

I think Penn State has moved into the lead. They finally showed interest in Bell and got Woj to switch his pick. Around that time, we added TJ. Still think we have a shot at Bell, but even if Ohio state is out of the mix (and no word that it has affected his decision), there is still a battle for Bell.

DJ Edwards transferring with all the incoming talent. Probably fogured he didn't have a chance.

Pretty decent recruit. Any reason why?

I have to believe he had a conversation with the coach. At this time as a receiver, he's pretty far down on the depth chart with brohm trying to bring in even more receivers that will be ahead of him.

it comes down to, does he want to play football, or does he want a degree from Purdue ? A similar situation to Allstott.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT