ADVERTISEMENT

Calling out the Mackey crowd

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Was at the game yesterday. For all the bitching on here about the team I came away much more disappointed in the crowd. It is clear to me that the Mackey crowd is resting on its reputation. At times I thought maybe we were trying to get the toddlers down for a nap.

I will take my share of the blame. At the typical “get loud” times I backed off when others around me didn’t join in.

I get the excuses. The Paint Crew was gone, it wasn’t a “marquee” opponent, and some people are not as in love with this team as prior teams. But that was just a flat terrible performance by the fans that needs to be called out. Congrats to the team on the neutral court win. As fans let’s do better.

Was at the game yesterday. For all the bitching on here about the team I came away much more disappointed in the crowd. It is clear to me that the Mackey crowd is resting on its reputation. At times I thought maybe we were trying to get the toddlers down for a nap.

I will take my share of the blame. At the typical “get loud” times I backed off when others around me didn’t join in.

I get the excuses. The Paint Crew was gone, it wasn’t a “marquee” opponent, and some people are not as in love with this team as prior teams. But that was just a flat terrible performance by the fans that needs to be called out. Congrats to the team on the neutral court win. As fans let’s do better.

It was a sell out against Belmont over the holidays. I don't think now is the time to rip on the fans in Mackey.

How many other schools would have sold out that game? 15 max id guess

Reactions: rgarlitz
It was a sell out against Belmont over the holidays. I don't think now is the time to rip on the fans in Mackey.

How many other schools would have sold out that game? 15 max id guess
Not ripping, just challenging. Believe me I’ve been to plenty of other places to know what the norm is and Mackey is waaay above the norm. But we can (and have) done better. Even over break. Belmont was a legit challenge as will every game from here on out. The team needs our support more than ever.

for the most part we had a comfortable lead and there wasnt much to get excited about until we forgot how to get the ball in bounds towards the end.

I get it. The crowd did seem flat for a sellout. Belmont is a good team, but they were off and Purdue played solid and slowly created that 20 point lead.

I think without the students the only times it traditionaly gets loud is if it is a B1G game or it is a close game with 5 mins to go against a cupcake. Hopefully it will be better Thursday.

I did yell when Nojel was sinking his FTs down the stretch. He deserves it, and if that continues it will be huge for this team during B1G play.

When things got tense in the 2nd half, the crowd got back into the game. Almost all Saturday, Sunday non confrence games have that "Sunday afternoon" feel. Even though Belmont is good, it isn't the same as having Duke, Louisville or any other big, non confrence team visiting.

Thirty-four year season-ticket holder here. Other than the couple who sits to my immediate right, it was clear that weren't many "regulars" in attendance in my section. People who make a habit of attending know when to make noise. As just one example, it was apparent yesterday that even when the shot clock hit single digits during Belmont's possessions, folks didn't know to start screaming and clapping. And, the "IU sucks" tradition (one that I don't participate in) was pretty feeble as well. Doubtless, the students help, but the "veterans" who know what they're doing play an important role as well.

I wouldn’t read too much into it. Most of the Purdue grads I know were in Nashville or on their way back yesterday, myself included.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT