ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari (& co.) coaching CE

I'd bet the farm that Painter with Calaparis rosters would have better results than this. I don't even feel its debatable, but if you want higher ranked recruits by cheap tactics then you're rooting for the wrong school.

Sir, do you live in Louisville?

This is not a slam against Calipari. but I'm wondering how many one and dones actually go to class their second semester ? Typically, a one and done will be playing a lot of tournament basketball through March, and then NBA combines, and work-outs. A couple of years ago I saw Simmons watching all of the final four activities long after his LSU team was eliminated and also after his Spring break.

I believe it would be very easy to take a bunch of fluff classes their first semester to maintain their eligibility, and then just not worry about their second semester.

With that said, I wonder how many of those one and dones at Kentucky would qualify to play at Purdue with our math requirement? It's one thing to say Painter would produce better results than Calipari. but I have a feeling a lot of Calipari's players would be denied admission to Purdue.

Nice strawman/false dichotomy.

nice comeback

These are facts: Painter's been a DI HC for 13 seasons. Calipari's been a DI HC for 25 seasons. Calipari had his first Final Four team in his 8th season as a DI HC. We're still waiting on Purdue being able to do that at least once with Painter at the helm, going into his 14th season as a DI HC.

Last edited:
nice comeback

These are facts: Painter's been a DI HC for 13 seasons. Calipari's been a DI HC for 25 seasons. Calipari had his first Final Four team in his 8th season as a DI HC. We're still waiting on Purdue being able to do that at least once with Painter at the helm, going into his 14th season as a DI HC.

Why are you telling me this?

nice comeback

Blah blah blah. More apples to oranges and strawman logic. Just go root for them already. It is no doubt you would be happier.

Painter isn't going anywhere. And the fact that it makes you and some other posters on here so angry, is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Because that is how he is. He hates Painter and everyone that supports him.

Funny thing is, I didn't even say anything about Painter. I said I was surprised Cal's results weren't better. Somehow in his mind that meant that I think Painter is better than Cal I guess.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Funny thing is, I didn't even say anything about Painter. I said I was surprised Cal's results weren't better. Somehow in his mind that meant that I think Painter is better than Cal I guess.
You just can never be too careful with him. He will find any way possible to turn something against Painter, even if he isn't mentioned.

I'm truly quite surprised he hasn't tried to blame global warming on CMP yet.

Last edited:
nice comeback

One more fact; Calipari cheated to reach his first two Final Fours.

Why are you telling me this?

You stated that you thought Calipari's accomplishments as a HC were "pretty (expletive)" compared to what you would have guessed otherwise. I started the thread by asking if anyone thought Painter would take notes from how Calipari is coaching and using CE in the U19 games. Hence, a comparision was drawn then, (i.e. Calipari is a more accomplished HC) whether you want to believe it or not. Try to keep up.

You stated that you thought Calipari's accomplishments as a HC were "pretty (expletive)" compared to what you would have guessed otherwise. I started the thread by asking if anyone thought Painter would take notes from how Calipari is coaching and using CE in the U19 games. Hence, a comparision was drawn then, (i.e. Calipari is a more accomplished HC) whether you want to believe it or not. Try to keep up.

Once again only because he cheats. Whether you want to believe that or not.

And I do believe you got an answer in that Carsen is being used as an off guard and one that does not bring the ball up frequently. That is nearly the exact same way Painter used Carsen last season. He frequently paired Carsen with Spike and allowed Spike to bring the ball up...this allowed Carsen a chance to get on the wing where he was more effective off the dribble or receiving a kick-out when his defender went to help either inside or off the high ball screen at the top or opposite wing.

If you are actually watching the games and looking objectively instead of simply trying to find any reason to cut CMP down, you would realize that the two offenses look pretty similar outside of some small instances and that Carsen is playing a very similar role to what he did at Purdue.

And I do believe you got an answer in that Carsen is being used as an off guard and one that does not bring the ball up frequently. That is nearly the exact same way Painter used Carsen last season. He frequently paired Carsen with Spike and allowed Spike to bring the ball up...this allowed Carsen a chance to get on the wing where he was more effective off the dribble or receiving a kick-out when his defender went to help either inside or off the high ball screen at the top or opposite wing.

If you are actually watching the games and looking objectively instead of simply trying to find any reason to cut CMP down, you would realize that the two offenses look pretty similar outside of some small instances and that Carsen is playing a very similar role to what he did at Purdue.

I'm just responding to Gemini, because they keep chirpin' at me.

I'd bet the farm that Painter with Calaparis rosters would have better results than this. I don't even feel its debatable, but if you want higher ranked recruits by cheap tactics then you're rooting for the wrong school.

Very debatable. How is not debatable? He's not done it with lesser talent, how does that automatically mean he will do it with better talent. And its not like Painter is some infallible in-game coach. You can have your opinions, but there is no way to say it with certainty. I can say this about Brad Stevens maybe, not Painter.

Reactions: nagemj02

You left out a pretty important part of my statement, Smarticus.

I'm just responding to Gemini, because they keep chirpin' at me.
I would have given the same response to anyone who posted those stats. Maybe don't take it so personally.
And not every post in a thread will be fully intertwined with the original topic.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
I would have given the same response to anyone who posted those stats. Maybe don't take it so personally.
And not every post in a thread will be fully intertwined with the original topic.
He only sees what he wants to see. That is how deep his hatred of all things CMP goes.

I'm sorry...but am I the only one throwing up a little in my mouth reading all these "CMP should be more like Cal" posts?:eek:
Well they both could stand to hit the elliptical - Cal's untucked golf shirt isn't the greatest look with his considerable boiler...

Reactions: nagemj02
There was an important part in that particular statement of yours? (tic) Which part was it that was left out by me?
Important for the context of my statement about Cal's record. In the grand scheme none of it is very important.
Look closely, you'll find it.

Its safe and cozy to have CMP and besides at Purdue we're just a bunch of settlers.

No way that we can do better than Matt Painter, anyway. It's simply impossible.

Oh, and programs that make it to Final Fours and play for national championships and win national championships must cheat to do it .
They have to be cheating. Why? Because here at Purdue we don't cheat and we can't get to a Final Four so our failure must be that the other schools just have to be cheating otherwise we would have to reevaluate ourselves and how we do things and commit to climbing higher.
Yea, all of the filthy programs that win gotta be cheating otherwise CMP would get 'er done.
I mean really just look at the long list of schools that are on NCAA probation for cheating and playing in the Final Four.
The list is staggering.

No,moderate aspirations in Purdue basketball call for a coach precisely like Painter.

He's safe, conservative, slightly above average and would make a great accountant.

A settler's dream come true.

An occasional Sweet Sixteen and a Big championship/decade is the ceiling with CMP.

Prove me wrong Matt. Do something that breaks the mold.

Living the dream baby.

SETTLERS!!!!! You know......like the DirecTV commercial!

giphy.gif

You mean like the USA settling for coach like Cal that can take the best U19 team in the world and end up battling for third place medals? If they are not careful they might just end up with a participation ribbon.

He put preference on his guys and future targets. No defense, forced shots, and hero ball cost them that game. Carsen is an absolute monster when there are clean lanes to drive, and he really did everything he could on the last two games, but it wasn't enough. I think Kentucky will struggle early if he Cal can't convince his team to play as one.

Unrelated to U19, I would love to see Haarms Vince Mathis Eastern Carsen as a lineup to keep those lanes clean. Carsen is so good at driving and passing and having two bigs that can shoot from deep would be deadly. The U19 showed what he can do when the middle isn't clogged up with a big man ready to block him. Mix in some ISO with the motion to really maximize what he can do. Would like to see Haas playing more with PJ and Haarms/Taylor playing more with Carsen.

What happened against Canada ? it's sad a team like Italy gets to play for the championship and will get at least the Silver medal. not sure how the brackets were set up. it seemed like they were round robin, and then boom, they were changed. one would think if Canada were in a different pool, and we were both undefeated, we would have met in the final, not the semi-finals. I'm not going to complain about losing to Canada. it's kind of like Purdue losing to Kansas. they were ready, and we were not.
But still, Italy gets to play in the final?

What happened against Canada ? it's sad a team like Italy gets to play for the championship and will get at least the Silver medal. not sure how the brackets were set up. it seemed like they were round robin, and then boom, they were changed. one would think if Canada were in a different pool, and we were both undefeated, we would have met in the final, not the semi-finals. I'm not going to complain about losing to Canada. it's kind of like Purdue losing to Kansas. they were ready, and we were not.
But still, Italy gets to play in the final?
I didn't watch the whole game but what I saw looked like poor team defense. They had a single superstar and the US failed to make life difficult for him.
On the bright side I felt that Carsen stood out on both ends of the floor in a positive manner, while his teammates looked a little baffled and didn't respond to the challenge.

Reactions: punaj
Since John Calipari has stated that he's primarily playing Carsen Edwards as a 1, do you think that CMP and staff are paying attention and taking notes as to how he's coaching him?

Even if you hate Calipari and believe that he used to (or still does?) use his connections in a sophisticated way to basically cheat (i.e. getting top prospects at UMass, Memphis, and Kentucky), you still can't argue with the actual results: combined, the teams he's coached at all three schools have appeared in 6 Final Fours, 3 National Title games, and won 1 National Title under him.
After all is said and done, I hope that Matt Painter evaluates how Calipari played Carsen, learns from it, and then does a much better job.

Reactions: Roeder
After all is said and done, I hope that Matt Painter evaluates how Calipari played Carsen, learns from it, and then does a much better job.

Carsen averaged similar numbers as he did his freshman season with similar minutes. He just made fewer mistakes because he let the game come to him. Maybe that was because he was playing with some of the best U19 players in the world and a bunch of five star recruits? Maybe it's because he put in work and improved his game. I watched parts of the games and Carsen was hitting some ridiculous shots. I have confidence he will have a bigger role this year, as he should.

Cal did a horrible job coaching. Only one player elected to the top 5 in the tournament and couldn't get them to play defense. Not to mention, he took the overwhelming favorite and got bronze with them. Every year Cal loads up with the best talent in the nation and has one championship to show for it? I didn't see anything special and I didn't see a drastic improvement in Carsen's numbers.

I also look forward to Carsen playing along side Eastern. From what I have heard, Eastern has been dominating PJ because of his size and athleticism. Those two could form one heck of a combination next year and as solid as PJ is, Eastern is better defensively and has size/athleticism PJ can't come close to matching. USA had a lot of bigger guards and better size/athleticism. I feel like Purdue has added those dimensions with the '17 class. It is one of the many reasons I am much more optimistic for this year than most.

I didn't watch the whole game but what I saw looked like poor team defense. They had a single superstar and the US failed to make life difficult for him.
On the bright side I felt that Carsen stood out on both ends of the floor in a positive manner, while his teammates looked a little baffled and didn't respond to the challenge.
Carson's excellent individual play was a direct result of the coaching he has received. The confusion and lack of team defense was most likely the result of weak in-game coaching. i have noticed this before on the UK team. Sometimes great salesmen don't make the best coaches. Glad Painter is the Purdue coach.

Could Cal coach at Purdue? I have asked myself that question several times and have concluded no. I think he would be able to get past the academic constraints. To put it differently, I doubt the Purdue academic requirements could be adapted to Cal's recruiting process.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBG and Dakota Girl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT