ADVERTISEMENT

Burks

HUD628

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
Scored from 66 and 50 yards in OU’s spring game. He was completely uncovered both times. Will be interesting to see how our 2 big portal losses produce in their new spots.

Scored from 66 and 50 yards in OU’s spring game. He was completely uncovered both times. Will be interesting to see how our 2 big portal losses produce in their new spots.
The loss of Burks will hurt. The spring game showed clearly that we did not pick up any WR that will play at his level.

I hope I’m proven wrong but I think our offensive coordinator and play calling left a lot to be desired last season. I also think Card underperformed all his hype last year. Or do most believe our receiving corps was just not good?

Reactions: FiveWeight and BBG
I hope I’m proven wrong but I think our offensive coordinator and play calling left a lot to be desired last season. I also think Card underperformed all his hype last year. Or do most believe our receiving corps was just not good?
I think Card is pretty damn good when healthy, thought the play calling was ave at best and the WR corp was lackluster

Good for Burks. Hope it translates into playing and stats in the regular season for him.

I'm expecting a lot from staff and Card this year. I can forgive a lot from last year but Year 2 is big. I have to see a lot of improvement with all the new players and the 2nd year systems.

I think the OL passed the eye test for me this spring. I want to see what Card can really do when protected.

Not sure I can conclude anything from the spring game unfortunately.

I don’t believe our offensive play calling and Card were always on the same page last year. We were not taking advantage of Card’s talents And he really didn’t fit the role that was given to him. The question will be will Purdue change its offense to match Card’s talents? Or will Purdue be just like The Bears?

If you have an option QB, you run an option offense. You don’t try to make an option QB play a pro style offense.

CJ Smith looked fine and is probably even faster than Burks. The WR1 did not even play. The WR group is improved imo
You didn't watch the game then. There was NO separation. If there was separation it was from the returning players NOT the new players. There was NOTHING shown during that would lead to a conclusion that the WR corps is improved.

I don’t believe our offensive play calling and Card were always on the same page last year. We were not taking advantage of Card’s talents And he really didn’t fit the role that was given to him. The question will be will Purdue change its offense to match Card’s talents? Or will Purdue be just like The Bears?

If you have an option QB, you run an option offense. You don’t try to make an option QB play a pro style offense.
Card isn’t an option QB.

But then, you admitted you didn’t watch the games, so you wouldn’t know that…

Card isn’t an option QB.

But then, you admitted you didn’t watch the games, so you wouldn’t know that…
My definition of an option Qb is different than yours. It’s also a matter of what type of offense is a QB best suited for. Coming out of high school Card was rated as a Dual QB by 24/7. They have two ratings they use for QB recruits. One is dual and one is pro. A pro rated qb is one that drops back and runs a pro style passing attack. A dual qb is one that incorporates running as part of his offensive game.

To me a dual QB is best suited to be placed in an option offense where his running talents can be utilized. A pro style qb is a player like mark herman who just drops back in the pocket and throws the ball.

To me that’s two totally different style of offense and also requires a totally different type of blocking scheme.

To make the best utilization of a player’s talents, a team has to also place that person in an offense that matches their abilities rather than forcing that player to adapt their talents to fit the team’s style.

What I said was card’s talents did not match the type of offense Purdue ran last year until they started incorporating his running into the offense. To me that’s an option offense.

It was the same with Fields and the Bears. Their offense did not match or take advantage of his talents.

Call the offense what you want. But the type of offense you run affects more than just the QB. I’m saying Card was not the right fit for the offense Purdue wanted to run, so they had to adapt their offense to fit his skills and it took longer to make the adjustments and make it work.

My definition of an option Qb is different than yours. It’s also a matter of what type of offense is a QB best suited for. Coming out of high school Card was rated as a Dual QB by 24/7. They have two ratings they use for QB recruits. One is dual and one is pro. A pro rated qb is one that drops back and runs a pro style passing attack. A dual qb is one that incorporates running as part of his offensive game.

To me a dual QB is best suited to be placed in an option offense where his running talents can be utilized. A pro style qb is a player like mark herman who just drops back in the pocket and throws the ball.

To me that’s two totally different style of offense and also requires a totally different type of blocking scheme.

To make the best utilization of a player’s talents, a team has to also place that person in an offense that matches their abilities rather than forcing that player to adapt their talents to fit the team’s style.

What I said was card’s talents did not match the type of offense Purdue ran last year until they started incorporating his running into the offense. To me that’s an option offense.

It was the same with Fields and the Bears. Their offense did not match or take advantage of his talents.

Call the offense what you want. But the type of offense you run affects more than just the QB. I’m saying Card was not the right fit for the offense Purdue wanted to run, so they had to adapt their offense to fit his skills and it took longer to make the adjustments and make it work.
And sometimes people that watch every single game don’t have a clue about what they are watching!

Reactions: ChuckJr
I think card pretty clearly was not great at the option run game last year, and I wouldn't expect that to change. As New Pal said above, that's not the QB he is. He can scramble and make plays keeping it or throwing it. Designed runs are not his forte.

You didn't watch the game then. There was NO separation. If there was separation it was from the returning players NOT the new players. There was NOTHING shown during that would lead to a conclusion that the WR corps is improved.
I was at the game. He made a couple grabs and then didn't even play in the 2nd half I don't think. Edrine, Smith, Morrissette are an upgrade over what we lost in the portal imo

In your expert analysis, what does this offense ask Card to do, that he isn’t able to, specifically?

I was at the game. He made a couple grabs and then didn't even play in the 2nd half I don't think. Edrine, Smith, Morrissette are an upgrade over what we lost in the portal imo
Did any of those guys even make a catch in the spring game? It must be a paper upgrade. There was nothing that happened during that game that got me remotely excited about the WR corps.

Reactions: pboiler18
Did any of those guys even make a catch in the spring game? It must be a paper upgrade. There was nothing that happened during that game that got me remotely excited about the WR corps.
It was a pretend game lol

I literally said in the post that Smith had couple grabs then sat out the 2nd half and Edrine did not play.

Burks was a fine player but not a #1. Yaseen and Sheffield easily replaceable.

It was a pretend game lol

I literally said in the post that Smith had couple grabs then sat out the 2nd half and Edrine did not play.

Burks was a fine player but not a #1. Yaseen and Sheffield easily replaceable.

I would not be too concerned about what mklinker has to say about this team. His/her face has been purple holding his/her breath for this team to fail.

#1) Spring football is a pretend game. Does not reflect how this team will be at Fall camp.

#2) Nyland Green was covering CJ Smith most of the game. Nyland Green is going to be our stud defensive back this year.

#3) Burks was not doing much when Brohm was coaching the Boilers. CRW and staff helped develop Burks to the player he is today. I would imagine the WRs jumping in production by the time Fall gets here.

#4) Edrine is projecting to become our #1 WR. He did not play in the Spring game.

#5) More WR help is coming in the Fall.

Will see what this team looks like after this transfer window and before Fall camp.

Last edited:
I liked Burks, but he wasn't a game changer. He made a huge play in the first game of the year that we lost, but after that, he pretty much made the plays he was supposed to. I don't recall him making many special plays.
For example, late in the iu game, he got behind the D, Card found him down the left sideline and threw a perfect ball. For some reason, instead of running under the ball and having a walk-in TD, he leaves his feet unnecessarily, catches the ball and is down right there. Instead of a TD, has a nice 40 yard gain (which we'll take all day long but would rather have the walk in TD) and we still have a lot of work to score the go ahead TD.

I would not be too concerned about what mklinker has to say about this team. His/her face has been purple holding his/her breath for this team to fail.

#1) Spring football is a pretend game. Does not reflect how this team will be at Fall camp.

#2) Nyland Green was covering CJ Smith most of the game. Nyland Green is going to be our stud defensive back this year.

#3) Burks was not doing much when Brohm was coaching the Boilers. CRW and staff helped develop Burks to the player he is today. I would imagine the WRs jumping in production by the time Fall gets here.

#4) Edrine is projecting to become our #1 WR. He did not play in the Spring game.

#5) More WR help is coming in the Fall.

Will see what this team looks like after this transfer window and before Fall camp.
If you had to say what skill position has the most talent (meaning in all of football), what would you answer? I would say WR. Now, in my humble opinion, the more a team depends on a pass, the better they need to be, but if you've got a good to great QB a team can get by with "serviceable" (or above average).

Reactions: cillerdo
"Or do most believe our receiving corps was just not good?" The radio announcer during one Purdue game mentioned that the receivers gave Card little help if he was dodging around trying not to be tackled. They just quit playing after they had run their planned route and wouldn't come back to aid the passer. To me, that's pretty damning.

If you had to say what skill position has the most talent (meaning in all of football), what would you answer? I would say WR. Now, in my humble opinion, the more a team depends on a pass, the better they need to be, but if you've got a good to great QB a team can get by with "serviceable" (or above average).

Last year, I do not think G Harrell was able to run his Air Raid offense because of limitations in O-Line and WR. With more repetitions between Card and his receivers, the offense will be faster and potent. Two things I saw with Card and his receivers in the Spring Game.

#1. Card was making decisive and fast throws. Last year, Card held onto the ball too long waiting for the WRs to get separation. Card is trusting his line more and trusting his receivers to use their speed to get open quickly.

#2. I did not like how Card missed some open receivers and went for CJ Smith deep when he was covered by two defenders. I am sure those will be cleaned up in the Fall.

Last year, Burk’s biggest asset was his speed. But Burks was raw as a receiver. CJ Smith might be faster. Smith might produce better results than Burks.

Yaseem was steady eddy, making all the catches and hardly dropping passes. Tibbs or Sowinski could be our steady eddy this year.

Our big guys, M Rice and E Cannon kept dropping passes. We are bringing in L. Smith, a 6’5 receiver with elite speed. If his hands are good, a big threat.

G Miller was not the same last year. Klare has better hands.

I have been hearing that Ederine is projected to be our #1. We have not seen him play yet but this is exciting considering the receiver talents we already have.

Last edited:
O line was just so bad. Had to really limit play calling options.

CRW made it a priority to address o line issues we had last year. Card could not fully trust his line to hold up. This year, the line looks more established and bigger. Card said multiple times that his bigger linemen makes him happy. When Card has the time, his pass percentage is around 70%.

Last year in the Wisconsin, Syracuse and Nebraska game, he was a tackling dummy for the opposing defense. With a better line, Card should be able to carve up defenses.

It is laughable that Illini fans thought Altmyer was the best QB in the B1G West.
Card will make a big jump in production this year. A good O Line will help him do that.

Folks, it was a spring "game". They ran like 8 plays over and over and over again. They didn't even tackle all the time.

Anyone making pronouncements based on what they "clearly" saw, or didn't see, in the "game" is an idiot.

Relax.

Folks, it was a spring "game". They ran like 8 plays over and over and over again. They didn't even tackle all the time.

Anyone making pronouncements based on what they "clearly" saw, or didn't see, in the "game" is an idiot.

Relax.
Ok what I saw in the controlled practice session Is that the receivers could not find separation in the 8 plays that were run with the exception of Smith. NO other WR stood out. Is that better?

Reactions: boiledmeconium
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT