ADVERTISEMENT

Burke quote from March 2, 2016 ESPN article

BoilerStutz

Junior
Jul 14, 2006
Indianapolis
Burke acknowledges that the lack of success in football "has put an awful lot of pressure" on the entire athletic department. But he remains confident that good times are around the bend.

"I think it's going to turn," he said. "We have 36 kids back out of the 44 who were on the two-deep last year, and most of them were in their first or second year of eligibility. The culture of this team internally has really shifted.

"It will be kind of fun to see whether I’m right or if some of the pundits are right, but I’m confident in Darrell."

Uh, I'm going with the pundits...

Burke acknowledges that the lack of success in football "has put an awful lot of pressure" on the entire athletic department. But he remains confident that good times are around the bend.

"I think it's going to turn," he said. "We have 36 kids back out of the 44 who were on the two-deep last year, and most of them were in their first or second year of eligibility. The culture of this team internally has really shifted.

"It will be kind of fun to see whether I’m right or if some of the pundits are right, but I’m confident in Darrell."

Hahahaha I remember reading that back in the spring. What a sorry excuse for an A.D. he was...yet we're the ones who suffer the repercussions of his "leadership" failure. Sick and tired of being the laughing stock of college football.

Reactions: nagemj02

Yeah, it has been a lot of fun seeing that he is as dumb as pundits and others that were not totally out of touch with reality thought...

The massive ego that continuously got in the way of him actually doing his job on display yet again.

Pssst.....Morgan.

I know you are on here reading these posts. Let me tell you that what is going down now IS your legacy. Its not the Natatorium or the golf course or the women's softball stadium. It is the current condition of the 3 major revenue sports that you took advantage of and neglected. Football, we already know what a disaster it is. The once elite women's Bball team is now a below 0.500 program with a below average coach and recruiter. The men's Bball program is a little better with an average coach and recruiter. In both basketball programs, the emphasis was to 'keep it in the Purdue family'. In other words, hire coaches on the cheap with salaries in the bottom tier of the Big Ten.

Over your 23 years as AD, you did not fight for better salaries. You did not stand up to the cheapskate BOT and the Beering, Jeske and Cordova Administrations. You let them have their way and take money from you without warning them of the consequences. It took Matt Painter, not you, to force the cheapskate administration in 2011 to realize that salaries were not current or acceptable. You told alumni and fans to buy tickets, season tickets, along with apparel and clothing......not telling them that you were really not into building championship teams, just keeping it in the black.

The rest of the Big Ten changed during your tenure while you still operated a 1990 business model. Now the chickens have come home to roost. Purdue lacks in so many areas, but that was not a concern to you despite the repeated and numerous warnings by alumni, JPC members, fans and the media. Now you are on your way out. Enjoy your retirement, just don't look in the rear view mirror.

Pssst.....Morgan.

I know you are on here reading these posts. Let me tell you that what is going down now IS your legacy. Its not the Natatorium or the golf course or the women's softball stadium. It is the current condition of the 3 major revenue sports that you took advantage of and neglected. Football, we already know what a disaster it is. The once elite women's Bball team is now a below 0.500 program with a below average coach and recruiter. The men's Bball program is a little better with an average coach and recruiter. In both basketball programs, the emphasis was to 'keep it in the Purdue family'. In other words, hire coaches on the cheap with salaries in the bottom tier of the Big Ten.

Over your 23 years as AD, you did not fight for better salaries. You did not stand up to the cheapskate BOT and the Beering, Jeske and Cordova Administrations. You let them have their way and take money from you without warning them of the consequences. It took Matt Painter, not you, to force the cheapskate administration in 2011 to realize that salaries were not current or acceptable. You told alumni and fans to buy tickets, season tickets, along with apparel and clothing......not telling them that you were really not into building championship teams, just keeping it in the black.

The rest of the Big Ten changed during your tenure while you still operated a 1990 business model. Now the chickens have come home to roost. Purdue lacks in so many areas, but that was not a concern to you despite the repeated and numerous warnings by alumni, JPC members, fans and the media. Now you are on your way out. Enjoy your retirement, just don't look in the rear view mirror.
If anyone sees Morgue during a football beatdown this year, please yell a big hearty "thanks Morgan!" at him for me.

mb1 is similar to some of the posters here.
That comment unfortunately seemed to imply he was more concerned about winning his own personal argument rather than actually seeing the success of the program.

Hopefully mb2 is a bit more constrained and careful with public addresses

A l
Yeah, it has been a lot of fun seeing that he is as dumb as pundits and others that were not totally out of touch with reality thought...

The massive ego that continuously got in the way of him actually doing his job on display yet again.

Yes, a legend in his own mind.

Reactions: nagemj02
returning starters who were shite means only one thing. You will be shite again the following year.
Please this is not about denigrating our student athletes. But rather it is about the dismal state of recruiting. I appreciate the effort of every student, regardless of ability, who dons the gold and black.

Was that the same article where Wise Ole Morgue surmised that we would be discussing an extension for The Haze this fall?

returning starters who were shite means only one thing. You will be shite again the following year.
Please this is not about denigrating our student athletes. But rather it is about the dismal state of recruiting. I appreciate the effort of every student, regardless of ability, who dons the gold and black.

This. This, this, this. You can't fault a kid for going to the only P5 school he receives an offer from. That's all on the coaching staff and their recruiting efforts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT