ADVERTISEMENT

Bucket Game

Sep 8, 2001
I come in peace! I always look forward to this game and, of course, enjoy it more when the Hoosiers win. I expect an all out battle in a typical Bucket game with good solid hits and yes... some emotion. In particular, I will be interested to see how our much improved D counters the playmakers of Purdue on offense.

in your opinion, what are the 3 keys for Purdue to be successful in this game?

Our D needs to be able to stop a beach ball. We will start there.
I’m fully expecting to see IU win by multiple touchdowns.

1) Get Rondale open more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. A lot of passes to flat hoping he breaks one is so vanilla. He is covered with help and that should only be used a couple times in a game.

2) Stay committed to running game for balance. -2 yards against a team that will let you run is just attrocious.

3) Special Teams play mistake free. Hard to do the last 3-4 games. Having punts blocks, FG blocked, Kickoff returned for TD, punts go more than 30 yards, etc. Purdue has to be last in the conference on Special Teams.

4) Clean up penalties. Cannot have 11 penalties for 126 yards. That is just stupid mental mistakes football and cost us opportunities. Hopefully, no more than 2 or 3 in a game with minimal yardage surrendered.

5) Stop the run...Purdue struggles to get off the field on 3rd downs.

You wanted 3, I gave you 5. If we can clean up 3 or more of those areas, it "might" be a close game. Along with others, I'm not expecting much so I hope Purdue practices like they want to be there and it actually transfers to the field.

1) Get Rondale open more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. A lot of passes to flat hoping he breaks one is so vanilla. He is covered with help and that should only be used a couple times in a game.

2) Stay committed to running game for balance. -2 yards against a team that will let you run is just attrocious.

3) Special Teams play mistake free. Hard to do the last 3-4 games. Having punts blocks, FG blocked, Kickoff returned for TD, punts go more than 30 yards, etc. Purdue has to be last in the conference on Special Teams.

4) Clean up penalties. Cannot have 11 penalties for 126 yards. That is just stupid mental mistakes football and cost us opportunities. Hopefully, no more than 2 or 3 in a game with minimal yardage surrendered.

5) Stop the run...Purdue struggles to get off the field on 3rd downs.

You wanted 3, I gave you 5. If we can clean up 3 or more of those areas, it "might" be a close game. Along with others, I'm not expecting much so I hope Purdue practices like they want to be there and it actually transfers to the field.
I would add hold IU to FGs on half their red zone trips.

And we need the 2017 Jeff Brohm playcalling.

Last edited:
-Our lines need to be able to push more than a grocery cart.

-Absolutely zero turnovers

-Need some big plays from Rondale.

I come in peace! I always look forward to this game and, of course, enjoy it more when the Hoosiers win. I expect an all out battle in a typical Bucket game with good solid hits and yes... some emotion. In particular, I will be interested to see how our much improved D counters the playmakers of Purdue on offense.

1. No special teams mistakes. Better special teams play likely gives Purdue a win the last 2 weeks. Throw in making one of the 2 missed FG against Minny (crappy officiating aside) and this Purdue team is 5-2 despite a terrible defense and this game feels a little different.

2. Of course Purdue needs to run the ball, but Plummer needs to be special. We've seen flashes before. He needs to have best game of career against very good IU secondary.

3. Force Tuttle into some mistakes. Tough break for IU that Pennix is out. Somehow, someway Purdue needs to take advantage and can't let IUs less talented/experienced QB sit back and pick them apart every drive like they have been doing. A FG/punt/TO instead of a TD isn't too much to ask every 3rd drive or so is it?

One.Purdues special teams have to stop playing badly.The last three games could have gone Purdues way except for poor play from these guys. Two.The ground game has to be somewhat effective.Our running game has been poor this year overall,but Zander Horvath has ran for 100 yards or more three times.If Purdues rushing attack can gain around 125 yards or more it will help a lot.The defense needs to get a few sacks and turnovers.If these three things happen,Purdue has a chance.

Yes. Sorry to hear. Prayers for the team’s health. I know they would have wanted to play this game.
I just read that IU has covid 19 issues now.I have been praying for covid to go away and will pray for everyone affected by it.Thank you for having such a good attitude.I always enjoy discussing sports with Hoosier fans like you.

It is not sounding good for a Bucket game with both teams having trouble with COVID. I am assuming we will hear something probably by Thursday (yes, we will know more tomorrow; thought I would do a preemptive strike with that comment, because I know it is coming).

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT