ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble softening ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
I'm softening my stance that Purdue has to win this game today vs. Ohio State to even get into the NCAA picture.

I think it has put itself in the picture, at least, by winning six straight games and probably puts itself in the field with a win over the Buckeyes. Why? The bubble is soft. In Charlie Creme's update this morning, he has Purdue as a "Next Four Out," the highest the Boilermakers have been. But I don't see how Indiana and Iowa (certainly the Hawkeyes) have a better résumé than Purdue. Lisa Bluter doesn't think her team is in. She talked WNIT after its loss Thursday to Northwestern.

Michigan State's upset over Michigan last night probably helps Purdue; it does so from an RPI point of view and that the Boilermakers beat the Spartans twice, albeit both without Suzy Merchant. Is MSU in but not Purdue? If MSU is in, does someone on the Committee say, "Wait, we need to look at Purdue?" Possible.

The combination of the IU win, plus MSU's over Michigan, bumped Purdue's RPI to 64, a 13-spot increase in one day. That'll look good on Selection Monday, if it can stay in the 60s. But Purdue lacks a marquee win and its losses are bad. It's possible, however, with a weak bubble, that the losses aren't any worse than similar teams.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying Purdue is in, but it has played it's way into the conversation, which is as good as you could have asked two weeks ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT