ADVERTISEMENT

BTN and Comcast

I could be wrong, but I thought Comcast had already dropped BTN outside of the Big Tens geographic footprint.

Reactions: pboiler18
I love how these companies keep the consumer hostage with these things, so close to the start of the season, and people wonder why so many are cutting the cord.

Reactions: pboiler18
This kind of stuff pissess me off. It's all about money
Seems like some tv station is doing this every year. Most people on care about a hand full of channels anyways.

I know it's probably out there, but what is the simplest, easiest way to get BTN if you've cut the cord?

We do Hulu TV. $40/month. They have all the channels we need including BTN. They did have lots of problems streaming live sports. It often would hang up and jump ahead. However, with the subscription you can use the Foxsports app that includes BTN and the WatchESPN app that seemed to work flawlessly.

We do Hulu TV. $40/month. They have all the channels we need including BTN. They did have lots of problems streaming live sports. It often would hang up and jump ahead. However, with the subscription you can use the Foxsports app that includes BTN and the WatchESPN app that seemed to work flawlessly.
We tried Hulu Live Tv too, but the buffering made it almost unwatchable. PS Vue is much better for us.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Is all this public dispute just a negotiation tactic or is there a real chance that Comcast drops BTN?
I am betting it is a negotiation tactic. Comcast is wanting a bigger piece of the pie. Dish did it with Fox News just two years ago. I believe DIrecTV and BTN had similar negotiations in the past as well.

Second everything here. I pick it up in September and drop it in April.

I can’t imagine paying what most pay for tv service. Especially because the only live tv I watch is sports.

Second everything here. I pick it up in September and drop it in April.

I can’t imagine paying what most pay for tv service. Especially because the only live tv I watch is sports.
The problem is I have to pay somebody for the high speed internet. Around here (northern IN) that’s basically Comcast or AT&T. Adding on a basic tv package comes out about the same price wise (assuming promotional rate extended by calling every 2 years threatening to cancel) as many of these streaming options that include live sports and the channels we actually want to watch.

YouTube TV has BTN and all the FS Soorts channels. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet but it’s like $35 a month?

Wife won’t let me drop cable even though these streaming services seem to have everything we’d want to watch.

Maybe she’ll get ticked seeing the $35 charge after watching every basketball game from Jan-April and reconsider?

Thanks for all the excellent replies (and prices). I think the only other question on the streaming is what do you have to have for your internet speed to make it viewable?

Thanks for all the excellent replies (and prices). I think the only other question on the streaming is what do you have to have for your internet speed to make it viewable?

I have whatever standard speed Comcast provides. Hulu live buffered some, so I don’t know if that was a speed issue or not.

Depends on how many people you have streaming in the house at once and what quality you are streaming. I had 25up/25down for a long time with no problems. That isnt a speed anymore with Frontier so I now have 50/50 and don't notice a difference.

I live in SC and have Comcast for cable and internet. Pay $200/month after fees/taxes.
Com dropped BTN earlier this year which has me in the position of needing to switch before FB season starts.
Unfortunately, ATT isn't available in my neighborhood so my only other option is DirecTV for cable and stay with Com for internet.
I'm not a techy guy, but to get all those streaming services, you need a Smart TV, correct?

I live in SC and have Comcast for cable and internet. Pay $200/month after fees/taxes.
Com dropped BTN earlier this year which has me in the position of needing to switch before FB season starts.
Unfortunately, ATT isn't available in my neighborhood so my only other option is DirecTV for cable and stay with Com for internet.
I'm not a techy guy, but to get all those streaming services, you need a Smart TV, correct?

You can also purchase a streaming device that connects to your TV, like an Amazon Firestick or Roku. It will basically act as a cable box (and be appreciably smaller) and cost up to $100. Some services, like Sling, have offered deals on Rokus if you pre-pay for 3 months of service. I haven't heard good things about Sling TV, however.

I know it's probably out there, but what is the simplest, easiest way to get BTN if you've cut the cord?

I am down here in North Carolina so hard to find a B1G carrier. I simply went to all my viewing being done via internet. Use Directv Now to get the B1G. It costs soooo much less than regular Directv and just as good in my opinion. I put it through my AppleTv and up onto the flat screen....

We tried Hulu Live Tv too, but the buffering made it almost unwatchable. PS Vue is much better for us.
A lot of people forget they should upgrade their modem and get DOCSIS 3.0+ as well get a new router. The new equipment handles streaming much better because they have higher speeds and handles multiple users better. PSVue with my new equipment is working flawlessly. Sometimes the old equipment would buffer at times with higher usage of the internet in the home. I really like PSVue and their offerings. I save $50/mo vs. the old cable set-up. Haven’t missed cutting the cord one iota although because I really have to use Cox’s internet in my town we haven’t completely cut the cord.

Most streaming services recommend min 10 gig download and 2 gig upload. Most people get higher speeds especially if they have higher household usage.

I think there was more to it than just Comcast dropping BTN.

Foxsports is parent of BTN, and 21st Century Fox owns Foxsports.....it all has to do with the play Comcast was doing to buy 21st Century Fox ($65B offer). Now that the deal no longer is going through and Disney will own 21st Century Fox and everything it controls, things may change significantly for us as viewers.

Had Comcast won the Bid and purchased 21st Century Fox, it might have been a restructuring of their sports channels rather than an elimination which is how we are interpreting the current situation.

Eventually Disney will pretty much own everything.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I think there was more to it than just Comcast dropping BTN.

Foxsports is parent of BTN, and 21st Century Fox owns Foxsports.....it all has to do with the play Comcast was doing to buy 21st Century Fox ($65B offer). Now that the deal no longer is going through and Disney will own 21st Century Fox and everything it controls, things may change significantly for us as viewers.

Had Comcast won the Bid and purchased 21st Century Fox, it might have been a restructuring of their sports channels rather than an elimination which is how we are interpreting the current situation.

Eventually Disney will pretty much own everything.

Fox News, Fox Sports and the Fox broadcasting network were not a part of the transaction. Also, Disney is selling the FS regional stations to avoid antitrust scrutiny.

Fox News, Fox Sports and the Fox broadcasting network were not a part of the transaction. Also, Disney is selling the FS regional stations to avoid antitrust scrutiny.

Where do you see that these were not part of the transaction? I cannot find any mention that these are left out.

To my knowledge it was for all of 21st Century Fox

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it way down in the search results. Everything was so hyped on MCU and Hulu I couldn't find specific mentioning that certain parts of the 21st Century Fox portfolio were not for sale.

I just purchased an amazon fire stick for $20. Couple that with any subscriptions you want (we have a prime membership and Hulu live during fball/b-ball season) and you have more things to watch than you have time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT