ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh / Michigan penalty scenarios

Riveting-

Senior
Dec 3, 2021
The evidence of cheating appears to be very strong - and believed widely by the league coaches (including our own).

I expect the NCAA and BTN (the media empire formerly known as the Big Ten Conference), with so much money at stake, to do nothing until the playoffs are over - but the risk is that Michigan could win the BTN and cfb championships and then have to forfeit them.

Any thoughts from the thoughtful?

The evidence of cheating appears to be very strong - and believed widely by the league coaches (including our own).

I expect the NCAA and BTN (the media empire formerly known as the Big Ten Conference), with so much money at stake, to do nothing until the playoffs are over - but the risk is that Michigan could win the BTN and cfb championships and then have to forfeit them.

Sounds like something is coming from the BT office this week. Also sounds like UM may be ready to act before the BT office does. Rumors about Tuesday but most are being noncommittal.

think the refs for this weeks game w/ psu will be told to make sure psu gets the most important calls, that way it looks like a natural way to take care of Mich. The only problem Mich doesn't get called for penalties much, I've seen 5 of their games this year

Last edited:

I think Pat McAfee stated it best on college game day. I’m paraphrasing but he basically said he’s absolutely positive the NCAA will get to the bottom of this and if Michigan was cheating they will be penalized no latter than 2030!

Reactions: indyogb
think the refs for this weeks game w/ psu will be told to make sure psu gets the most important calls, that way it looks like a natural way to take care of Mich. The only problem Mich doesn't get called for penalties much, I've seen 5 of their games this year
That is the right outcome but wrong approach. We do not want the B10 to ever favor one program over another. Nor do we want the B10's enforecement arm to impact/drive the outcome of a game. We preach all the time on this board about referees not being in situation to drive the outcomes of a game.

B10 should directly punish the program and involved staff. There will be indirect impact to players and such but that should not factor into the decision.

That is the right outcome but wrong approach. We do not want the B10 to ever favor one program over another. Nor do we want the B10's enforecement arm to impact/drive the outcome of a game. We preach all the time on this board about referees not being in situation to drive the outcomes of a game.

B10 should directly punish the program and involved staff. There will be indirect impact to players and such but that should not factor into the decision.
Agree 100% but this is the real world and everyone knows this kind of stuff happens.

this past weekend I watched most of the msu - Neb game , one can argue msu was helped bigtime in that game decided by 3 pts

Last edited:
I think Pat McAfee stated it best on college game day. I’m paraphrasing but he basically said he’s absolutely positive the NCAA will get to the bottom of this and if Michigan was cheating they will be penalized no latter than 2030!
Does Cleveland State even have a football program?

Reactions: indyogb
So just some idle thoughts on this sign stealing issue:

1. If this guy travelled to all of these games, how did he pay for the travel and the tickets and who signed off on his expenses back a Michigan?
2. If Michigan was not involved, did they wonder why he, an assistant coach, was gone every saturday on game day?
3. If he did all of this stuff, who did he give it to? all he said is that the head coach knew nothing about this activities. He didn't say anybody else.
4. Why would he do this activity if no one wanted the information?

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
So just some idle thoughts on this sign stealing issue:

1. If this guy travelled to all of these games, how did he pay for the travel and the tickets and who signed off on his expenses back a Michigan?
2. If Michigan was not involved, did they wonder why he, an assistant coach, was gone every saturday on game day?
3. If he did all of this stuff, who did he give it to? all he said is that the head coach knew nothing about this activities. He didn't say anybody else.
4. Why would he do this activity if no one wanted the information?
My understanding is he had others physically go to the games in most occasions. There is the photo of him on the central Michigan sidelines. However, that game was played on a Friday.

Either way, definitely under Harbaugh's watch. Like you said why would he go to such great lengths to not provide the information.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT