ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm Positive COVID Antigen Test

Awful news. What’s with all these coaches testing positive! They should be leading by example with precautions given what students are being forced to do (and do without). Considering the people they are being paid millions of dollars to be around are being tested every day, how does this happen? And the week before the opener?? Hope he is ok of course, but also hope this does not cost the team the Iowa game.
Tests are not completely accurate. Saban tested positive Wednesday, then tested negative on Thursday and Friday. And how do you know he's not leading by example? You do realize even if you follow all of the protocols, you're not 100% guaranteed that you won't catch the virus? One of his family members could expose him to it. Or he could contract it in another way.

Only ~2.5% of the Purdue campus population has tested positive, so one might assume those that are taking precautions would not be a part of that 2.5% minority, especially given the extra protections that athletes are receiving.

Good point about Saban. But then there’s Mullen, Sumlin, Norvell, Miles, etc.
I’ll hold further comment until the retest results.
Uhm, the normal campus population hasn't taken the antigen tests nor the number of times Brohm has been tested...

Only ~2.5% of the Purdue campus population has tested positive, so one might assume those that are taking precautions would not be a part of that 2.5% minority, especially given the extra protections that athletes are receiving.

Good point about Saban. But then there’s Mullen, Sumlin, Norvell, Miles, etc.
I’ll hold further comment until the retest results.

Huh? Somehow its CJB's fault that he got an airborne illness. Good grief.

The CDC just released a study of maybe 200ish COVID patients and found that at least 85% said to they wore the masks and socially distanced most or all of the time. Only 2.9% (maybe 3.9%) said to never wear masks, etc.

My point wasn’t about Brohm specifically. It’s the number of coaches who’ve tested positive recently. Seems to be a trend. And, yes, everyone has to determine for themselves what level of risk they can live with, and I’m not going to get into personal opinions on masks or whatever. But when you are paid millions of dollars to coach, I expect you to do whatever it takes, even if you have to quarantine between practices and games for 3 months, if that’s what it takes to make sure you can do your job.
Sorry, but you're so wrong on this one.

If Brohm is actually positive, I wonder what other coaches could get it too, since they spend so much time together.

if Brohm is positive and feels up to it obviously, can he coach from a room in the Pavilion or he cannot coach in the Iowa game? If he cannot coach, who steps in as the head coach in that situation?

Reactions: Dandelion1972
My point wasn’t about Brohm specifically. It’s the number of coaches who’ve tested positive recently. Seems to be a trend. And, yes, everyone has to determine for themselves what level of risk they can live with, and I’m not going to get into personal opinions on masks or whatever. But when you are paid millions of dollars to coach, I expect you to do whatever it takes, even if you have to quarantine between practices and games for 3 months, if that’s what it takes to make sure you can do your job.
Hmmm, he has to live and interact with family, coaches, players and other administrators of the University. Impossible request that you have placed upon him. IMHO, it is important to mask up, social distance as much as possible, but move forward. That means Asst Head Coach (don’t see that listed on 2020 roster) whomever gets announced, you are up!.

Awful news. What’s with all these coaches testing positive! They should be leading by example with precautions given what students are being forced to do (and do without). Considering the people they are being paid millions of dollars to be around are being tested every day, how does this happen? And the week before the opener?? Hope he is ok of course, but also hope this does not cost the team the Iowa game.
WTH does that mean? "Leading by example"

It's a D@MN VIRUS.

How the hell did we get here, that people aren't supposed to get this virus?

Is an EFFING VIRUS.

Remember "Fifteen Days to Flatten The Curve"?? That recognized people were/are going to get it, we simply wanted to prevent overwhelming medical facilities.

For G-d's sake, people... this is NOT an STD. It's not like he failed to wear a condom.

Goodness. What's going on in society with this stupid virus is stunning.

It's a D@MN VIRUS.

Is an EFFING VIRUS.

Remember "Fifteen Days to Flatten The Curve"?? That recognized people were/are going to get it, we simply wanted to prevent overwhelming medical facilities.

For G-d's sake, people... this is NOT an STD. It's not like he failed to wear a condom.

Not to mention most healthy people have a 99.9 % percent chance to survive

If Brohm is actually positive, I wonder what other coaches could get it too, since they spend so much time together.

if Brohm is positive and feels up to it obviously, can he coach from a room in the Pavilion or he cannot coach in the Iowa game? If he cannot coach, who steps in as the head coach in that situation?

That, my friend was my second thought! (The first was, "how does this affect Iowa game?")

If Jeff Brohm can't attend game, Purdue losing play calling head coach for next 10 days.
Iowa's got their own issues. How about the lawsuit against Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz, and U. of Iowa itself? Akrum Wadley and Martin-Manley among 8 players suing? Not a good look for the Hawkeyes, if true.

If Jeff Brohm can't attend game, Purdue losing play calling head coach for next 10 days.
He has to have PCR test first. Could be a false positive from the antigen test. Coaches and players get tested every single day. Antigen test is known to yield false positives at times. Same as what happened to Nick Saban, for instance.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I mean, you’re right, but do you have any proof whatsoever that Brohm wasn’t doing everything he could? At any rate, I hope he has a quick and full recovery. To answer somebody else’s question, NCAA has rules restricting coaches from coaching remotely. Can’t call plays if you are not on the field or in the press box.

I mean, you’re right, but do you have any proof whatsoever that Brohm wasn’t doing everything he could? At any rate, I hope he has a quick and full recovery. To answer somebody else’s question, NCAA has rules restricting coaches from coaching remotely. Can’t call plays if you are not on the field or in the press box.
You would think something like this would be possible

I'm sure he is doing the same things other coaches are doing. And I should have held my comments yesterday as they were in part clouded by how-does-this-always-happen-to-us type thoughts, but I think it is a fair question now with all the other positives coming out whether coaches in general are protecting themselves enough, given the amount of testing and scrutiny and impact to their teams if they test positive. This is a compliment to our coach as I believe his game-calling could be the difference between a W and an L against a team like Iowa. This isn't as preventable as an STD, but it isn't a situation in which you want to be putting yourself in a higher risk group either. Perhaps the false positive is likely since none of the players are testing positive. Let's hope.

It's a D@MN VIRUS.

Is an EFFING VIRUS.

yeah this virus shaming is funny.

Have you ever gotten a flu shot and still got the flu? I have, a couple of times.
The reason being that that the flu shot is designed to build antibodies against specific flu strains. However, if you come in contact with a strain that the vaccine wasn't designed for, you can still get the flu.
For covid, unless you're going to live in a bubble (literally a bubble boy), there's no way to completely eliminate your risk of exposure 100%.

I'm sure he is doing the same things other coaches are doing. And I should have held my comments yesterday as they were in part clouded by how-does-this-always-happen-to-us type thoughts, but I think it is a fair question now with all the other positives coming out whether coaches in general are protecting themselves enough, given the amount of testing and scrutiny and impact to their teams if they test positive. This is a compliment to our coach as I believe his game-calling could be the difference between a W and an L against a team like Iowa. This isn't as preventable as an STD, but it isn't a situation in which you want to be putting yourself in a higher risk group either. Perhaps the false positive is likely since none of the players are testing positive. Let's hope.

Maybe I'm not keeping up; what "high risk group" did he put himself in?

Maybe I'm not keeping up; what "high risk group" did he put himself in?
He already has his mind made up that Brohm did something wrong. I guess he's expecting Brohm to live in one of those round plastic bubbles that he can roll around in? I don't know what he considers "high risk"? I guess living your life without fear at 49 years old in Indiana where 1.8% of the deaths occurred in this age group is now "high risk". If the expectation for his paycheck is to only stay home or go to practice, I think the expectation is a little much.

A disease so dangerous you don't even know you have it until you take a test that you don't even need!

Odd how Flu cases are down 95% this year....

Odd how the deaths in this country have GONE down for the first time in ages. SCAMDEMIC!!
The way you put it actually made me laugh. That does seem to be true. Unfortunately for some with compromising issues it is serious.

He already has his mind made up that Brohm did something wrong. I guess he's expecting Brohm to live in one of those round plastic bubbles that he can roll around in? I don't know what he considers "high risk"? I guess living your life without fear at 49 years old in Indiana where 1.8% of the deaths occurred in this age group is now "high risk". If the expectation for his paycheck is to only stay home or go to practice, I think the expectation is a little much.
I'm not going to die on this hill, but as long as I'm being addressed, I'll offer a reply. There are many different approaches people have been taking to protect themselves. There is no one-size-fits all prescription for everyone and I do not believe the government should be mandating masks and shutting down schools, businesses, churches, etc. However, freedom does not exempt you from consequences. D1 football is a results driven business. Maybe these high profile cases will be a wakeup call for other coaches or others with a lot to lose to not live like the rest of us and to hunker down a bit more the next couple months. Like the NBA bubble, a small price to pay for such high stakes, lucrative business. Let me ask you this... if you were offered $5M to isolate from your family and friends for 2 months and only be around the people you work with, would you do it? The fact that this is considered a taboo position even to discuss is a bit concerning.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Not good news. Hopefully it was a false positive. He’s going to take a PCR to verify.

Brohm said he has tested positive on follow up PCR test. Started feeling bad on Saturday. Brohm says he would have to be out 10 days since positive test, per CDC guidelines.

Brian Brohm will be acting head coach and make game-time decisions if Jeff Brohm can't work sideline.

Reactions: NVboiler
Brohm said he has tested positive on follow up PCR test. Started feeling bad on Saturday. Brohm says he would have to be out 10 days since positive test, per CDC guidelines.

Brian Brohm will be acting head coach and make game-time decisions if Jeff Brohm can't work sideline.
Ugh. Hate to see that on opening day...

A disease so dangerous you don't even know you have it until you take a test that you don't even need!

Odd how Flu cases are down 95% this year....

Odd how the deaths in this country have GONE down for the first time in ages. SCAMDEMIC!!

Nice narrative if it were true. Got any support for the claim that deaths in this country have gone down? I'll be checking in periodically as I'd like to see the link. Everything I've seen shows there are excess deaths in the US in 2020.

Reactions: Pu71indy
Stay out of Zorbs. They can kill ya.

• Haha
Ugh. Hate to see that on opening day...
Question is will Coach Jeff Brohm be allowed to communicate with Brian Brohm? If he cannot be in the stadium, it appears to be doubtful unless a special room was prepped and sanitized before and after for him in the press box.
I'm all for that if he is healthy enough to participate, I'd say go for it. However, it would look bad from an optic standpoint in both the media and public in general. I'd think we have Engineering and Communications that he should be allowed to participate safely that puts nobody in harm.
Another poster indicated the Hugh Freeze story of last year coaching from a hospital bed. It should be allowable since he is NOT serving any suspension or punishment.

With Brohm now confirmed as definitely out, it is going to be interesting to see how the coaching situation plays out for Iowa.

Just hope we don’t lose any other coaches or players for Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT