ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm Positive COVID Antigen Test

I'm not going to die on this hill, but as long as I'm being addressed, I'll offer a reply. There are many different approaches people have been taking to protect themselves. There is no one-size-fits all prescription for everyone and I do not believe the government should be mandating masks and shutting down schools, businesses, churches, etc. However, freedom does not exempt you from consequences. D1 football is a results driven business. Maybe these high profile cases will be a wakeup call for other coaches or others with a lot to lose to not live like the rest of us and to hunker down a bit more the next couple months. Like the NBA bubble, a small price to pay for such high stakes, lucrative business. Let me ask you this... if you were offered $5M to isolate from your family and friends for 2 months and only be around the people you work with, would you do it? The fact that this is considered a taboo position even to discuss is a bit concerning.

I appreciate your response, but I don't think you're following why people are responding in the manner they have.

You *seem* to be insisting that Brohm has done something wrong. (Or, at a minimum, failed to take this seriously, or failed to take some unknown precautions.)

For many, that just doesn't make sense.

Again, unless I've missed something (entirely possible!), we know absolutely nothing about how he contracted the virus.

As such, it's quite a stretch for you to take the position you've taken... that Brohm didn't isolate properly. Unless I'm wrong, you have no clue what he did or didn't do.

No, it's not a "taboo position", just a seemingly odd stretch on your part.

I appreciate your response, but I don't think you're following why people are responding in the manner they have.

You *seem* to be insisting that Brohm has done something wrong. (Or, at a minimum, failed to take this seriously, or failed to take some unknown precautions.)

For many, that just doesn't make sense.

Again, unless I've missed something (entirely possible!), we know absolutely nothing about how he contracted the virus.

As such, it's quite a stretch for you to take the position you've taken... that Brohm didn't isolate properly. Unless I'm wrong, you have no clue what he did or didn't do.

No, it's not a "taboo position", just a seemingly odd stretch on your part.
I stated above that he has probably conducted himself the same as any other coach and taken the same basic precautions. I also admitted that I may have inadvertently pointed too strongly in his specific direction yesterday and meant to instead focus on the bigger question of "are highly paid, high profile coaches in general doing enough to prevent putting themselves and their teams in the same predicament". This is the binary world we live in. You win or lose. Unfortunately, Jeff lost the Covid avoidance "game". We'll never know exactly why. But we praise the players for isolating themselves to the point that none of them have contracted the virus (that is amazing, really), but then we say it is unreasonable for someone to question whether the coaches who are contracting the virus are doing enough to isolate themselves in this critical time during the season. After listening to the interview today, I have some more thoughts but won't go into those here. Get well, Coach, and change those smoke alarm batteries! :)

Last edited:
I stated above that he has probably conducted himself the same as any other coach and taken the same basic precautions. I also admitted that I may have inadvertently pointed too strongly in his specific direction yesterday and meant to instead focus on the bigger question of "are highly paid, high profile coaches in general doing enough to prevent putting themselves and their teams in the same predicament". This is the binary world we live in. You win or lose. We praise the players for isolating themselves to the point that none of them have contracted the virus, but then we say it is unreasonable for someone to question whether the coaches who are contracting the virus are doing enough to isolate themselves in this critical time. After listening to the interview today, I have some more thoughts but won't go into those here. Also, change those smoke alarm batteries! :)

Understood. But, you then chose to follow it all up with:

Maybe these high profile cases will be a wakeup call for other coaches or others with a lot to lose to not live like the rest of us and to hunker down a bit more the next couple months. Like the NBA bubble, a small price to pay for such high stakes, lucrative business. Let me ask you this... if you were offered $5M to isolate from your family and friends for 2 months and only be around the people you work with, would you do it?

Which still carries the implication that he failed somewhere along the line.

Thanks for the reminder on the smoke detectors. I have one that's waaaaaaaaaay up there. It's a pain in the arse to get to, and I'm not the biggest fan of "heights"...:mad:

Understood. But, you then chose to follow it all up with:

Maybe these high profile cases will be a wakeup call for other coaches or others with a lot to lose to not live like the rest of us and to hunker down a bit more the next couple months. Like the NBA bubble, a small price to pay for such high stakes, lucrative business. Let me ask you this... if you were offered $5M to isolate from your family and friends for 2 months and only be around the people you work with, would you do it?

Which still carries the implication that he failed somewhere along the line.

Thanks for the reminder on the smoke detectors. I have one that's waaaaaaaaaay up there. It's a pain in the arse to get to, and I'm not the biggest fan of "heights"...:mad:
Where in that follow up did I imply that Brohm personally "failed" or behaved different than any other coach? In fact, if there is anything implied, especially in context of my other messages, it is that there may need to be some systemic changes by ALL coaches. As in what precautions are being taken and what levels of risk are they comfortable with during the season. It really has different, meaningful implications if a coach is in quarantine for 10 days during a 9 week season vs. any other time of the year. This is a conversation, not a trial.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Where in that follow up did I imply that Brohm personally "failed" or behaved different than any other coach? In fact, if there is anything implied, especially in context of my other messages, it is that there may need to be some systemic changes by ALL coaches. As in what precautions are being taken and what levels of risk are they comfortable with during the season. It really has different, meaningful implications if a coach is in quarantine for 10 days during a 9 week season vs. any other time of the year. This is a conversation, not a trial.

You responded to a post specifically about Brohm’s positive test, imply that coaches in general aren't taking the level of precautions that the student body takes then refer directly to Brohm. That sure seems to imply blame on Brohm. Fortunately your original posts are visible in other's responses to yours despite you apparently having now deleted them. Keep trying to reframe your argument though - seems to be working well for you. I believe that you're a Purdue fan and are as disappointed as everyone else but that original post was just flat wrong(or at least poorly stated).

The reality is that Brohm(or anyone else, in pretty much any profession) can take every reasonable precaution yet still catch a virus. He, like many people are parents, husbands, etc and absent sitting in a sealed room cannot eliminate the risk 100%.

Reactions: purduepat1969

It appeared as though you were using Brohm as an example for other high profile coaches.

Again, your comment:

I wish Brohm a speedy and safe recovery. I wish all people would follow the same safety precautions athletic departments have tried to embrace. i wish more facts were known and that people started to take this virus more seriously. It's not going away any time soon. Each case is unique. admittedly, we have differing viewpoints on this issue. I will say a prayer of thankfulness, and of concern to watch over those affected.

Nice narrative if it were true. Got any support for the claim that deaths in this country have gone down? I'll be checking in periodically as I'd like to see the link. Everything I've seen shows there are excess deaths in the US in 2020.
CDC Website. Ironically about 100K below where we were at same time in the previous year. All we are doing is counting the people that have died this year who took a test and were proven to have a cold too.

Reactions: Purdue85
Ugh, have to check my batteries too. Have a ceiling at the top of stairwell too that I never used to think twice about. At my age now, I’m no longer a billy goat on ladders or outside on our roof. Always wondering when the occasional vertigo might kick in. It does suck.

Last edited:
CDC Website. Ironically about 100K below where we were at same time in the previous year. All we are doing is counting the people that have died this year who took a test and were proven to have a cold too.

Don't want to argue but I just pulled this off the CDC website:

One may argue how many of the excessive deaths are due to Covid but it looks like there are excessive deaths in 2020.

Don't want to argue but I just pulled this off the CDC website:

One may argue how many of the excessive deaths are due to Covid but it looks like there are excessive deaths in 2020.

Impossible to think there wouldn't be this year. Even if you remove deaths from the actual virus, the impacts of the shutdowns are near catastrophic to a society.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT