ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm overrated??

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
A few weeks ago I was thinking we would be lucky to win 3 or 4 games with this schedule, but optimistic with Brohm's coaching we'd be bowling again soon once he got his own recruits on board and a few years of development. But these first 3 games have proved me completely wrong! The team has exceeded all expectations and are playing like legit contenders in the West.

Obviously there is only one logical explanation for this. It was right there all along, we just didn't see it. Over the course of the last four seasons many of the players we saw out there today were being developed and groomed for greatness by the previous staff (aside from a few transfers..). There is no way a new coach comes in and turns a complete 180 like this in less than a year. Sure, Brohm will get all the glory, but just as our legendary AD emeritus said, the previous staff was making incredible progress that we fans just weren't smart enough to see. We just didn't have enough patience. So we are seeing that Brohm can succeed while inheriting a stocked cupboard of talent. Big deal. We can only hope that he is good enough of a coach to one day win on his own!

Last edited:
exactly. I always felt that those defending passive Barry bonds were either defenders of Burke or those who hated the hope hire.

I'm sorry, but I saw no real progress made last year by Hazell's replacement staff. We had a decent offense under Hazell, but it was mistake prone. Our defense was terrible and couldn't tackle. We finally brought in a defensive coordinator who knows something about playing defense. brohm went out and found an offensive and defensive line, and he's eliminating the critical mistakes we previous made on offense. Sure , the players are playing better than last year. but if hazell were still here, we wouldn't have added the players we did, and we'd be 0-3. While some boilers liked that one coach, he was simply the best of a very bad bunch. How's Cincy doing this year?

A difference this year. In the past against Louisville, we would have held a n early lead and the n tired out and lost. This year, we stayed close, and had 3 chances at the end to win. We didn't win, but we showed we were no longer 4th quarter quitters.

Ohio will end up going to a bowl game.. Missouri is in disarray, but is as talented as Minn , NW, and Iowa.

I'm not going to give hazell any credit. You could see the difference the minute Brohm walked on our campus. Our defense looked good during the Spring. Sure, Bentley and Robinson are improved. but, it's a whole new ballgame.

And when talking about our defense, we played today without arguably or best Db Jallow, and a significant portion of the game without our best LB McCollum. To be able to do what we did today on defense can be attributed to actually finally having some depth - something Hazell never created.

I'm not sure Jones will get his starting job back.

I'm sorry, but I saw no real progress made last year by Hazell's replacement staff. We had a decent offense under Hazell, but it was mistake prone. Our defense was terrible and couldn't tackle. We finally brought in a defensive coordinator who knows something about playing defense. brohm went out and found an offensive and defensive line, and he's eliminating the critical mistakes we previous made on offense. Sure , the players are playing better than last year. but if hazell were still here, we wouldn't have added the players we did, and we'd be 0-3. While some boilers liked that one coach, he was simply the best of a very bad bunch. How's Cincy doing this year?

A difference this year. In the past against Louisville, we would have held a n early lead and the n tired out and lost. This year, we stayed close, and had 3 chances at the end to win. We didn't win, but we showed we were no longer 4th quarter quitters.

Ohio will end up going to a bowl game.. Missouri is in disarray, but is as talented as Minn , NW, and Iowa.

I'm not going to give hazell any credit. You could see the difference the minute Brohm walked on our campus. Our defense looked good during the Spring. Sure, Bentley and Robinson are improved. but, it's a whole new ballgame.

And when talking about our defense, we played today without arguably or best Db Jallow, and a significant portion of the game without our best LB McCollum. To be able to do what we did today on defense can be attributed to actually finally having some depth - something Hazell never created.

Applause... time to watch a professional and embrace it. When I see brohm bench the starter for a few cause he didn't get the ball out in time... and consistently take players out when they F up.. when I see he and holy screaming and it makes me feel like they are just as hard on themselves as they are on the guy they're yelling at.. I say "hey, let's not get too grandiose with predictions... BUT we appear to have left the abysmal hazell/hope/tiller secret retirement years behind for now.

You do realize that Ina Haze left Brohm the "Manual"?

I think brohm threw out that manual, gutted everything, and brought his own manual, staff and philosophy of how to win.

and I know somebody will say it's all because of our great new training facility. if only we had it 4 years ago. And to that, I'll say Boy Scouts. or in other words B.S.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver

But how easy is it to forget key developmental moves like playing Gelen Robinson out of position for two years or forcing guys into playing time before they were physically ready? JuCos Shmoocos!

I think brohm threw out that manual, gutted everything, and brought his own manual, staff and philosophy of how to win.

and I know somebody will say it's all because of our great new training facility. if only we had it 4 years ago. And to that, I'll say Boy Scouts. or in other words B.S.

I had tuned Purdue football out and didn't follow one minute since mid year last year ... (I know big friggin loss)... but to come back and see lights and see this staff and feel like a lot of small minded mentalities are dying.. it's nice.

I don't get the feeling this staff is sitting around like "we can't sell that bigger faster tackle who could play as a freshman and actually pop Louisville in the mouth.. we can't use our jet and Lafayette has no night life" ... holt and brohm appear to be as hard on themselves as they are on guys they're yelling at...

A few weeks ago I was thinking we would be lucky to win 3 or 4 games with this schedule, but optimistic with Brohm's coaching we'd be bowling again soon once he got his own recruits on board and a few years of development. But these first 3 games have proved me completely wrong! The team has exceeded all expectations and are playing like legit contenders in the West.

Obviously there is only one logical explanation for this. It was right there all along, we just didn't see it. Over the course of the last four seasons many of the players we saw out there today were being developed and groomed for greatness by the previous staff (aside from a few transfers..). There is no way a new coach comes in and turns a complete 180 like this in less than a year. Sure, Brohm will get all the glory, but just as our legendary AD emeritus said, the previous staff was making incredible progress that we fans just weren't smart enough to see. We just didn't have enough patience. So we are seeing that Brohm can succeed while inheriting a stocked cupboard of talent. Big deal. We can only hope that he is good enough of a coach to one day win on his own!
You're kidding right?

You do realize that Ina Haze left Brohm the "Manual"?
Maybe it's not too late to reach out and see if the old ball coach is willing to bury the hatchet and come back aboard. I'm sure we could create a role for him. Recruiting coordinator. Dress code enforcer. Manual page laminator.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Maybe it's not too late to reach out and see if the old ball coach is willing to bury the hatchet and come back aboard. I'm sure we could create a role for him. Recruiting coordinator. Dress code enforcer. Manual page laminator.
It's too late as his health is failing.

I was thinking about this...perhaps a bit different. Obviously the players were better than we thought or were rated. Obviously they believe and so the mental to physical is still very important. Obviously, evaluation of putting the talent in the right spot (like Tiller) has helped them believe by being successful. I think Blough is better because he thinks the offense is better and doesn't have to take the chances he did to make something happen. I think the D doesn't have to play so long and watch a team not score when needed. Then we have to go back to the evaluation of a team and what was needed and recruit that to get by this year with transfers.

Recruiting was probably better than the star power and what we have witnessed, but Brohm has brought it out and these kids are believers. These seniors...this is their last shot at a bowl adn they believe it is within reach...hope they reach it...

But how easy is it to forget key developmental moves like playing Gelen Robinson out of position for two years or forcing guys into playing time before they were physically ready? JuCos Shmoocos!

brohm was smart enough to recruit Jucos, because he realized our players were not ready, . hazell would never have thought about it. As for Robinson, we all know he had talent. But now he's I n the right position to utilize that talent, and he has talented players around him. I credit brohm and holt. with both of those moves.

I believe one of brohm's biggest recruiting moves was to convince Holt to come to Purdue.

holt and brohm appear to be as hard on themselves as they are on guys they're yelling at...

This is evident by Brohm stating the WR's that came to Purdue were behind when the season started and the coaches were to blame and needed to make sure they (the coaches) were putting in extra time to make sure they got caught up.

The offense looked even better against Missouri because guys like Wright, Zico, and Holmes are getting more and more snaps because they have been coached up and are able to play at full speed with an understanding of the routes and concepts.

The Haze wouldn't have blown that Louisville game!!!

brohm was smart enough to recruit Jucos, because he realized our players were not ready, . hazell would never have thought about it. As for Robinson, we all know he had talent. But now he's I n the right position to utilize that talent, and he has talented players around him. I credit brohm and holt. with both of those moves.

I believe one of brohm's biggest recruiting moves was to convince Holt to come to Purdue.
Holt knows how good of a HC Brohm is. Brohm knows how good of DC Holt is. They are both intense competitors and make each other better coaches.

Haze is gone because he was a lousy HC period. If he was anywhere north of decent he would still have his job. He wasn't and now he is gone and we have a great coach. Brohm is the real deal and I believe he will turn our program around.

We are still paying him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT