ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm Honeymoon is officially over

Feb 5, 2003
Mercifully, this game was not aired on BTN in my area.

Can someone tell me why we did not go for two when we went up 18-17?

Mercifully, this game was not aired on BTN in my area.

Can someone tell me why we did not go for two when we went up 18-17?
There was an absurd penalty called for Knox sliding out the back of the end zone. Took them back 15 yards and took away the opportunity to go up 3. Really an inexcusable call by the official.

Honeymoon might be over but the rebuild is still in progress. I was worried that last year’s instant success might raise expectations too quickly. You win football games with Jrs and Srs and the influx of talent is not yet there. Better talent than EMU, but you don’t have margin to lay the ball on the ground over and over.

As for the PAT, that is one to second guess. In the moment, goal-to-go at the 18 yard line seemed impossible, but with a one point lead late in the game it’s your only option. A 2 point lead does nothing for you. You go for 2 and hope for a conversion or a penalty.

There was an absurd penalty called for Knox sliding out the back of the end zone. Took them back 15 yards and took away the opportunity to go up 3. Really an inexcusable call by the official.
Blaming the refs is what IU fans do with every loss. Again, this wasn't a game lost by the stripes on the field.

Reactions: 70boiler
Still think Brohm can turn it around but admit that last year got my hopes up higher than it should. That said, losing to a mid-tier MAC team at home is simply unacceptable. It was not okay in the previous regimes (going all the way back to Tiller team losing to Bowling Green), and it is not today. Have to get that cleaned up. I was still cautiously optimistic after the Northwestern loss, just disappointed and angry today.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Blaming the refs is what IU fans do with every loss. Again, this wasn't a game lost by the stripes on the field.
Where did I blame the loss on the refs? Your comprehension isn’t very good. Someone asked why we didn’t go for 2 and I explained the ridiculous call that pushed us back so far.

Honeymoon might be over but the rebuild is still in progress. I was worried that last year’s instant success might raise expectations too quickly. You win football games with Jrs and Srs and the influx of talent is not yet there. Better talent than EMU, but you don’t have margin to lay the ball on the ground over and over.

As for the PAT, that is one to second guess. In the moment, goal-to-go at the 18 yard line seemed impossible, but with a one point lead late in the game it’s your only option. A 2 point lead does nothing for you. You go for 2 and hope for a conversion or a penalty.
What I learned is that Robinson and Bentley were great players and apparently leaders

even being pushed back after the penalty we still needed to go for two. 18-17 or 19-17 isnt any different. of course the missed extra point in the first half was bigger than anyone could have expected

Reactions: DannyGranger
Where did I blame the loss on the refs? Your comprehension isn’t very good. Someone asked why we didn’t go for 2 and I explained the ridiculous call that pushed us back so far.
My bad if you weren't blaming them, but you said, " Really an inexcusable call by the official." To me that means you are.

even being pushed back after the penalty we still needed to go for two. 18-17 or 19-17 isnt any different. of course the missed extra point in the first half was bigger than anyone could have expected
Odds of scoring from the 16 slim to none. Had to kick it. If we had punched in the TD after int we would have went ahead 26- 17 so extra point could have mattered.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I have been a Purdue sports fan since my freshman year in 1978. There have been many times in that 40 years I have questioned the sanity of my loyalty. Today is one of them. Having said that, I still think the program is in good hands and will trend upward over time.

Reactions: SKYDOG and rgarlitz

Nobody's blaming the officials, but that call on DJ was huge. For one thing, it didn't look like DJ did anything wrong. And, as others have pointed out, the penalty basically took away Purdue's chance to go up by 3.

It didn't decide the game, but it was a very significant, and dubious, call.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I have been a Purdue sports fan since my freshman year in 1978. There have been many times in that 40 years I have questioned the sanity of my loyalty. Today is one of them. Having said that, I still think the program is in good hands and will trend upward over time.

I only go back to the early 90s, but I agree with you!

Reactions: rjmpu82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT