ADVERTISEMENT

Brilliant move!!

pufan73

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2006
I have had many issues with the athletic dept over the years but I have to hand it to them--this move for WBB is brilliant. It allows Sharon to go out with some dignity, gives Katie a chance to see how recruiting is done at the D1 level, shouldn't lose any players and will show the high schools that there is a future at Purdue and who it will be. I have no doubts about Katie's ability to coach, and now she can try it at a higher level. Well done!

I have had many issues with the athletic dept over the years but I have to hand it to them--this move for WBB is brilliant. It allows Sharon to go out with some dignity, gives Katie a chance to see how recruiting is done at the D1 level, shouldn't lose any players and will show the high schools that there is a future at Purdue and who it will be. I have no doubts about Katie's ability to coach, and now she can try it at a higher level. Well done!
Could not agree more.

Agree. I'm excited to see Katie come back. This looks like an ideal transition.

The "not losing any players" part of that hasn't aged well...but other than that I agree. It's a new dawn at Purdue for the WBB program and we'll see how it goes, but in the end something had to be done and hoping that Katie succeeds and brings a competitive program back.

Balcomb is gone. So they will have to juice her salary a bit for Katie’s first year but it alleviates the financial mess that would have ensued if they had decided to bring in a proven Coach. We will hope for Katie to have much success. She has a big challenge ahead, but she should be able to unify the many proud members of the Boilermaker’s rich wbb tradition.

The "not losing any players" part of that hasn't aged well...but other than that I agree. It's a new dawn at Purdue for the WBB program and we'll see how it goes, but in the end something had to be done and hoping that Katie succeeds and brings a competitive program back.
With Karissa leaving maybe Katie can bring in a solid multi year transfer.

Reactions: DocRon
Balcomb is gone. So they will have to juice her salary a bit for Katie’s first year but it alleviates the financial mess that would have ensued if they had decided to bring in a proven Coach. We will hope for Katie to have much success. She has a big challenge ahead, but she should be able to unify the many proud members of the Boilermaker’s rich wbb tradition.
Des, do you know for certain that Balcomb is gone or are you just assuming that? I realize she would probably not be happy about a "co-" being added to her title or a demotion but I have not seen anything announced.

Des, do you know for certain that Balcomb is gone or are you just assuming that? I realize she would probably not be happy about a "co-" being added to her title or a demotion but I have not seen anything announced.

Just fyi in the crazy BB world we are in. 4 of the top 5 U of I wbb players went into the portal, leaving Fahey with virtually nothing but to try to bring in transfers to a broken program. That is happening across the board in men's and women's bb with the transfer situation. I am hoping we don't have the same mass exit for Purdue WBB now that I think that Diagu is gone too and she and Mac were definitely two starters. Versyp and Gearalds will have to go into the transfer market and they may get some good pickups. Truly the landscape now.

Yes, Mike Carmin reported it and said she is already gone. We do not have a wbb reporter at GBI.
Thanks, Des.

Yes, I am well aware GBI does not have a WBB reporter or anyone who reports on soccer, volleyball, wrestling, baseball, softball, track & field etc. I have complained bitterly about it in my posts and communication with GBI.

Reactions: DAG10
Whoever got the job had a big challenge ahead...and, as you said, Katie should at least be able to unify the fanbase.

She is a hard worker...she is passionate about coaching...and, she is passionate about Purdue as well...the challenge was difficult regardless, but, maybe a bit more in her case in trying to make the jump that she is...but, she was outstanding at Marian and has long had a great basketball IQ/mind...if she is able to surround herself with someone with some experience (ala Phil Martelli to Howard at UM on the Men's side), that would help I think, and, then it is all about recruiting.

Whoever got the job had a big challenge ahead...and, as you said, Katie should at least be able to unify the fanbase.

She is a hard worker...she is passionate about coaching...and, she is passionate about Purdue as well...the challenge was difficult regardless, but, maybe a bit more in her case in trying to make the jump that she is...but, she was outstanding at Marian and has long had a great basketball IQ/mind...if she is able to surround herself with someone with some experience (ala Phil Martelli to Howard at UM on the Men's side), that would help I think, and, then it is all about recruiting.

Katie Gearlds has the opportunity to be a Joe Tiller style game changer. Her senior year playing for Sharon Versyp was a game changer for the Boiler WBB because of the change from Kristy Curry and the expectation that season was that all hope was lost. Katie took them to the Elite 8!!! :)

LOL at "unifying the fan base".

As long as she wins, everyone will be happy. We've already seen that the malcontents will pull their support if she does not. The real Purdue fans have been identified. The frontrunners are noted.

She won the 3 point competition in 2007, so she knows how to compete!
So... are you in her family? Katie "took them to the Elite 8" as a player, along with her teammates. Leading them to the Elite 8 (and, hopefully, beyond) as a coach may be a lot different. But I love giving her a chance and the plan to ease her into the position. Kudos to Bo.

So... are you in her family? Katie "took them to the Elite 8" as a player, along with her teammates. Leading them to the Elite 8 (and, hopefully, beyond) as a coach may be a lot different. But I love giving her a chance and the plan to ease her into the position. Kudos to Bo.
Nope. Just a fan of good athletic competition. Started paying attention to WBB when Nell Fortner became coach and the great high jumper/heptathlete, Corissa Yassen, joined the team to help out after several players left the program after Lin Dunn was fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT