ADVERTISEMENT

Brady Allen Returns?

WTF are you talking about? Ewers started all year this year...
Agree that Ewers likely starts and plays all year, barring injury. Hard to supplant an experienced starter that has that kind of talent. Some "experts" have watched Arch Manning tape and say without the name, he'd be a 3/4 star at best. I think he's pretty talented from what I have seen....but I'm not an expert. General consensus is that the job is NOT automatically his.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Arch Manning wasn't a transfer...

How many top QB transfers have you seen not start at their new school?
Point being, in very few instances is a guy granted the starting gig if he didn't already have it (AOC, Stetson Bennett, obvious ones). Even a generational QB will have to come in and earn it. Absolutely the case here. Neither one is a proven commodity.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Point being, in very few instances is a guy granted the starting gig if he didn't already have it (AOC, Stetson Bennett, obvious ones). Even a generational QB will have to come in and earn it. Absolutely the case here. Neither one is a proven commodity.
I'll agree to disagree. The starting job is Card's to lose. Unless he shows he's absolutely incompetent in Harrell's passing game, the starting job is going to be his. Just like Brohm somehow valued the experience Burton brought to the table, this coaching staff will likely want the experience Card brings on the field. Otherwise, why go to the portal?

I'll agree to disagree. The starting job is Card's to lose. Unless he shows he's absolutely incompetent in Harrell's passing game, the starting job is going to be his. Just like Brohm somehow valued the experience Burton brought to the table, this coaching staff will likely want the experience Card brings on the field. Otherwise, why go to the portal?
I think that it is very likely his to lose, but that is far from being guaranteed the starting spot.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
WTF are you talking about? Ewers started all year this year...
he won't next year. or Arch won't start. Take your pick! His coach can't promise them both they will start! Coaches don't make promises! That's what I'm talking about.

Burton came to Purdue via the portal. He previously started at UCLA. he didn't start at Purdue.. i doubt he chose to come to purdue for our acdemics or the dog and suds or the frozen custard. I also highly doubt brohm made him any promises that he would start. he came for the opportunity and nothing more.

Last edited:
Burton came to Purdue via the portal. He previously started at UCLA. he didn't start at Purdue.. i doubt he chose to come to purdue for our acdemics or the dog and suds or the frozen custard. I also highly doubt brohm made him any promises that he would start. he came for the opportunity and nothing more.
Burton started like 1 game for UCLA.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Burton started like 1 game for UCLA.
and how many games did Card start for texas? I believe it's the same number. They were both portal transfers. I'm glad Card chose purdue, but i highly doubt any promises of starting were provided. and it's the same with any respectable program.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: z_one
and how many games did Card start for texas? I believe it's the same number. They were both portal transfers. I'm glad Card chose purdue, but i highly doubt any promises of starting were provided. and it's the same with any respectable program.

Can you actually do a little bit of research before you spout out dumb shit?...

Can you actually do a little bit of research before you spout out dumb shit?...
like what? that card and burton basically started the same amount of games? they were both portal transferes. and that texas is only going to start one QB next year?

and that no promises were ever given to Card ?

Hey i get it, you don't want to admit you're wrong, so you just say to the world wolegib just puts out sheet. and everybody is supposed to believe you.

So was Arch promised a starting job? Sure, he's not a transfer. But the texas coach told him something so that he would come to texas. Didn't he? the texas coach also told Ewers something to lure him in. Didn't he? Is arch and ewers going to start every other game? Did the texas coach promise either player they would immediately start? I highly doubt it.

Burtan was a portal transfer to purdue just like Card was. burton started 1 game for UCLA. Card started 3 games for texas, and played against Alabama. To me starting 3 games vs starting 1 game is basically the same number. it's not like either player was their team's featured QB. the only reason Card even played was because ewers was injured.

Were any promises made to either player? other than they'd get an opportunity? I sincerely doubt it.

What more research do you want? Do you want the links and actual stats too? Google? espn? yahoo? their respective school sites? Admit it. Even chi boiler agrees with me. and he hates and ignores me.

COACHES DON'T MAKE PROMISES TO PORTAL TRANSFERS THAT THEY WILL IMMEDIATELY START !!!

Last edited:
like what? that card and burton basically started the same amount of games? they were both portal transferes. and that texas is only going to start one QB next year?

and that no promises were ever given to Card ?

Hey i get it, you don't want to admit you're wrong, so you just say to the world wolegib just puts out sheet. and everybody is supposed to believe you.

So was Arch promised a starting job? Sure, he's not a transfer. But the texas coach told him something so that he would come to texas. Didn't he? the texas coach also told Ewers something to lure him in. Didn't he? Is arch and ewers going to start every other game? Did the texas coach promise either player they would immediately start? I highly doubt it.

Burtan was a portal transfer to purdue just like Card was. burton started 1 game for UCLA. Card started 3 games for texas, and played against Alabama. To me starting 3 games vs starting 1 game is basically the same number. it's not like either player was their team's featured QB. the only reason Card even played was because ewers was injured.

Were any promises made to either player? other than they'd get an opportunity? I sincerely doubt it.

What more research do you want? Do you want the links and actual stats too? Google? espn? yahoo? their respective school sites? Admit it. Even chi boiler agrees with me. and he hates and ignores me.

COACHES DON'T MAKE PROMISES TO PORTAL TRANSFERS THAT THEY WILL IMMEDIATELY START !!!
Card started virtually an entire season at Texas. 7 games in 2021 and 12 games in 2022. Burton started one game at UCLA and 2 games at Purdue. For goodness sakes, maybe learn to look up stats...

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
Card started virtually an entire season at Texas. 7 games in 2021 and 12 games in 2022. Burton started one game at UCLA and 2 games at Purdue. For goodness sakes, maybe learn to look up stats...
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4429032/hudson-card You asked for it, you got it. Card started 12 games for texas in 2022 ? Can you point those games out for me? my vision is rather bad today.

and card started 7 games in 2021? which games were those?

My bad @Wolegib . He started 5 games and played in 22 games. His stats and playing time are significantly greater than Burton's. So you're still wrong, which isn't surprising...

Reactions: Poprudy
My bad @Wolegib . He started 5 games and played in 22 games. His stats and playing time are significantly greater than Burton's. So you're still wrong, which isn't surprising...

Lol nice back pedal. Starting 19 games is significantly different than starting 5. He’s only as wrong as you were

Plummer probably won’t start at Louisville!
I disagree with that. Brohm's offense is complex, and Plummer can come in on day 1 and run everything 100%. I'm not saying he's a great QB, but he's a perfect guy to play this coming season while the younger QBs learn the system.

Reactions: AugustaBoiler90
I disagree with that. Brohm's offense is complex, and Plummer can come in on day 1 and run everything 100%. I'm not saying he's a great QB, but he's a perfect guy to play this coming season while the younger QBs learn the system.
He might be their initial starter, but we know his past with Brohm....it didn't last

I don’t have a problem with a kid reexamining their options after a coaching change. If he wants to stay I’m happy with that. And for those who want to say he was buried on the depth chart, I’m pretty sure he was redshirted so that’s not a valid point. Furthermore I think that Burton being our QB2 was more of a bad/weird personnel choice by the previous staff than an indication of the talent of the other guys on the roster.
I believe the addition of Card drove his decision to portal.

5 in the last 2 seasons

Lol nice back pedal. Starting 19 games is significantly different than starting 5. He’s only as wrong as you were
MY ORIGINAL STATEMENT BEFORE ALL THIS STARTING GAMES NONSENSE WAS THAT NO COACH EVER GUARANTEES A PLAYER THEY WILL START. AND THAT'S WHAT STARTED THIS ENTIRE ARGUMENT. I ALSO SAID CARD DID NOT START THAT MANY MORE GAMES THAN BURTON STARTED. I WAS THEN TOLD TO DO RESEARCH BEFORE REPLYING WHICH I DID AND PROVIDED A BUNCH OF LINKS. and then after looking at the links i provided, you said he started 19 games when he only started 5. To me that appears you either can't read, or didn't bother to read the links i provided.

and why did Card start so many games? because texas' starting QB was injured. if not for the injury, card would have been a back-up at texas much the same way burton was a backup at UCLA.

I later questioned if Purdue signing Card was better than the QB IU signed? Well, is he? is he even better than Allen?

MY ORIGINAL STATEMENT BEFORE ALL THIS STARTING GAMES NONSENSE WAS THAT NO COACH EVER GUARANTEES A PLAYER THEY WILL START. AND THAT'S WHAT STARTED THIS ENTIRE ARGUMENT. I ALSO SAID CARD DID NOT START THAT MANY MORE GAMES THAN BURTON STARTED. I WAS THEN TOLD TO DO RESEARCH BEFORE REPLYING WHICH I DID AND PROVIDED A BUNCH OF LINKS. and then after looking at the links i provided, you said he started 19 games when he only started 5. To me that appears you either can't read, or didn't bother to read the links i provided.

and why did Card start so many games? because texas' starting QB was injured. if not for the injury, card would have been a back-up at texas much the same way burton was a backup at UCLA.

I later questioned if Purdue signing Card was better than the QB IU signed? Well, is he? is he even better than Allen?
I’m not the one who said that he started 19 games… Maybe I’m not the one who can’t read. I was actually taking your side on the 19 starts vs. 5 starts argument.
And to answer your new question, yes, yes I do believe that Card is better than Jackson. Regardless, Jackson is TJD’s brother so I believe that was probably a big reason he chose IU. Card looks like a good get to me.
Clearly you disagree which is cool because a board where everyone agrees would be pretty boring. Repeating your opinion and bashing the kid isn’t going to sway my opinion though so you can give it a rest. Burton and Card are completely different players so I don’t know why you even bring them up in relation to each other.

Reactions: purduepat1969
My point is I don’t know who is better. They are both rated as 4 star QBs. Who is better? Who knows?

My point is some posters here are quick to point out Walters signed a 4 star QB via the portal so he must be awesome and Walters is signing awesome players. Well even IU is signing 4 star QBs via the portal. So how much better is Walter’s recruiting than Allen’s recruiting?

My post is more directed at Walters than the player. It’s not that he is doing a bad job of recruiting. It’s just every other team is either doing just as well or better. And if every other team is doing the same or better, that usually means we are destined back to last place.

I said it before. Our future is based upon our ability to recruit. If every other Big 10 recruits better than us, where does that put us?

I’m kind of concerned about that TE. He was supposed to sign several times but ran into issues. And you don’t really pick up great recruits in the Summer. The portal was our big opportunity to make up for our high school recruiting. With all the 4/5 stars in the portal looking for new opportunities, I’m a little unimpressed with what we have lured into Purdue

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. That's why I posted what I did afterward to correct what I said.

He started 5 games and appeared in 22.

Comparing him to Burton, which is what @Wolegib was doing, is just plain dumb. Which is what I was trying to point out...
They were both backup QBs for their respective teams! And that’s where I was coming from! Neither one is that much different from the other one! And No he was never guaranteed a starting position!

They were both backup QBs for their respective teams! And that’s where I was coming from! Neither one is that much different from the other one! And No he was never guaranteed a starting position!
Yes they were both backups. Other than that they seem pretty different. So I have to agree with PurduePat, there’s no real comparison there.

Yes they were both backups. Other than that they seem pretty different. So I have to agree with PurduePat, there’s no real comparison there.
Yes, They both have different styles. Is Card better than Allen or the player that IU signed? All three were 4 star recruits, yet all three are different .

Just because a player has more experience does not mean they are the better player or the best player for the job. Look at AOC. When he arrived at Purdue there were players already on the roster with higher prep star ratings and also more experience. Have we learned nothing?

I’m not going to say Card is better or worse than Allen. But ask yourself which player is better for the offense Walters wants to run? Allen already knows the players from practice. Allen also knows Brohm’s offense.

Burton came to Purdue with experience. But he didn’t become the starter. Many other players have come to Purdue with a lot more experience but didn’t start. Look at Moore. He was a freshman but beat out several other more experienced receivers to start.

My entire point is to make people realize that just because a player has more experience does not mean he is an instant starter! You earn that position by your play!

Yes, They both have different styles. Is Card better than Allen or the player that IU signed? All three were 4 star recruits, yet all three are different .

Just because a player has more experience does not mean they are the better player or the best player for the job. Look at AOC. When he arrived at Purdue there were players already on the roster with higher prep star ratings and also more experience. Have we learned nothing?

I’m not going to say Card is better or worse than Allen. But ask yourself which player is better for the offense Walters wants to run? Allen already knows the players from practice. Allen also knows Brohm’s offense.

Burton came to Purdue with experience. But he didn’t become the starter. Many other players have come to Purdue with a lot more experience but didn’t start. Look at Moore. He was a freshman but beat out several other more experienced receivers to start.

My entire point is to make people realize that just because a player has more experience does not mean he is an instant starter! You earn that position by your play!
I would say Card is a much higher rated recruit, has 2 more years of college, and a bunch more in game experience against top level competition. And, most importantly, during those games has completed +65% of his passes for a decent ypa and looked better his Rsoph season than his Rfresh one. There's a reason he's the prohibitive favorite to start.

I would say Card is a much higher rated recruit, has 2 more years of college, and a bunch more in game experience against top level competition. And, most importantly, during those games has completed +65% of his passes for a decent ypa and looked better his Rsoph season than his Rfresh one. There's a reason he's the prohibitive favorite to start.
well ok. I'm all for the best QB to start. I also want the best QB suited for the offense Purdue plans to employ to start.

In the past, many people here really wanted an option QB to start, and wanted a running oriented QB to start. But their strengths did not fit or match the offense Brohm wanted to install. They may have been great QBs, but were a very bad match for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT