ADVERTISEMENT

Braden Smith named B1G Preseason POY

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Well Duh.

He might not be MVP in the end as an unselfish player, as sometimes a me first scorer or someone levels up to a great year emerges on one of the top 3 teams, but I would take Smith as my first choice to run my team out of any player in the nation. Good luck to him on what for sure will be an outstanding season.

Last edited:
It's a great honor, but I don't want to put too much pressure on Braden.

Things will be different this year without Zach throwing his weight around inside. It might take Purdue a few weeks to find its footing. This is a talented team; I think it will complete well. I just won't be surprised if it gets off to an uneven start.

Things will be different this year without Zach throwing his weight around inside. It might take Purdue a few weeks to find its footing. This is a talented team; I think it will complete well. I just won't be surprised if it gets off to an uneven start.
He can still be POTY in the B1G with a rough start to the year.

He’s also always had pressure on him and he can handle it. Going to be a fun year.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Kind of a weak year for star power in the B1G IMO.

I think Braden is deserving. Proud of him. Not alot of the guys on the All-Conference team exactly put fear in you though.

For example last year TSJ and Booie were guys you dreaded matching up with when they were next on the schedule. I can't imagine what other teams thought about Edey. I'm not seeing anything like that with this group.

I think Braden is deserving. Proud of him. Not alot of the guys on the All-Conference team exactly put fear in you though.

For example last year TSJ and Booie were guys you dreaded matching up with when they were next on the schedule. I can't imagine what other teams thought about Edey. I'm not seeing anything like that with this group.
Well those guys had been in college for 5 years. Ballo is starting his 5th year…but not as good (IMO) as one team may think. Illinois has some guys who can score but not sure they’re ready for B1G play yet.

Maybe Braden or someone from our team develops into one of those guys?

Well those guys had been in college for 5 years. Ballo is starting his 5th year…but not as good (IMO) as one team may think. Illinois has some guys who can score but not sure they’re ready for B1G play yet.

Maybe Braden or someone from our team develops into one of those guys?
Yeah, if they are up for it I think there is a world where the Freshmen at Rutgers, ILL, and elsewhere shine more than in years past. Also for guys who make big jumps to knock some guys out like you mentioned.

I love your first line of 2nd paragraph. Stick to that.

Pardon me if I am wrong, but the equivocal nature of the rest of your comment makes It almost look like you are giving a backhanded compliment to Smith. Hopefully that is not the case? I see I have liked quite a bit of what you post.....so maybe I am just reading into it to much?

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

I worry about a lot of things, how Braden responds to pressure isn't one of them. The kid can flat out shoot and pass at an elite, elite level. When you're a deadeye shooter who can get to the rim and drop dimes you're going to cause a lot of problems, Zach or no Zach.

Agree that some other guys will need to step up and that may take some time but it has some real horses at the top in Braden, Fletch and TKR.

Agree Colvin is going to make a jump. Just not sure if it will be this year. I think we get more glimpses and glow about those games. But I think consistent great.play is 1 year away. He will get there.
I think it’ll be this year, but he is still one year younger than most in his class, so you could be right on the consistency.

I think TKR will be first or second team.

You are more aggressive than me as I said 2nd or 3rd team several times. One thing for sure non-Purdue people will have alot of TKR this year to take notice. I think he delivers big time.
IMO: Trey even being in the all-B1G discussion will be a great sign for Purdue.

I think TKR will be first or second team.
I don't think that's unrealistic. They'll never all make first team all-conference but there's a world in which Braden, Fletch and Trey turn out to be three of the best players in the conference this season. I'm not talking about stats or draft status, I mean guys you'd take as your first pick to build a winning basketball team around.

You are more aggressive than me as I said 2nd or 3rd team several times. One thing for sure non-Purdue people will have alot of TKR this year to take notice. I think he delivers big time.
I may need to put down the pipe but I honestly think that Trey can be a better offensive version of Ethan Happ and Ethan was an all-American. I'm not saying Trey will be an AA as I'm not sure he'll have Happ's level of usage, but he has a similar offensive game and is a better shooter.

Come find me after the season if I'm way off. I'll be here and will own up to it.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I love your first line of 2nd paragraph. Stick to that.

Pardon me if I am wrong, but the equivocal nature of the rest of your comment makes It almost look like you are giving a backhanded compliment to Smith. Hopefully that is not the case? I see I have liked quite a bit of what you post.....so maybe I am just reading into it to much?

Your right, I should have stopped,lol.

I'm a big Braden guy, and have learned not to doubt him by now.

I may need to put down the pipe but I honestly think that Trey can be a better offensive version of Ethan Happ and Ethan was an all-American. I'm not saying Trey will be an AA as I'm not sure he'll have Happ's level of usage, but he has a similar offensive game and is a better shooter.

Come find me after the season if I'm way off. I'll be here and will own up to it.

Could be right if he gets his foul shooting improved and deals well with taller players well on both sides. He certainly will get a chance. I said he will take advantage & be noticed. How much of each we will see.

I just thought it was too much of a monster jump to go from not on a All Big Ten team last year, to then go all the way to 1st team....or AA which some Big Ten 1st teamers are on occasion. Yes both will surprise me. But yes, ALL Boilers will love that if it happens! Braden sure did it so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT