ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Lambert Is DC

BoilerInChiTown

True Freshman
Oct 5, 2016
Anyone one know anything about him beside this? Looks to be a good hire. Thoughts?

In 2020, he was named a Broyles Award watch list nominee, given to the nation’s top assistant coach.

Lambert’s defensive unit is currently ranked No. 1 in FBS in scoring defense at 13 points per game and the rushing defense was also top-5 at No. 5, allowing just 95.5 yards on the ground each outing

Last edited:
I think the key to the defenses success next year will be how well our 4 defensive coaches work together and if they convey similar messages that the support the overall strategy of the defense. I am optimistic, far more than I was with the Diaco hire for sure. There is talent on the defense in every group, talent is not the issue.

Reactions: Brya31
Looks like a pretty good get. No real stinkers on his resume as a coordinator and his success did not rely on having mega talent.

I had not heard about Holliday being let go from Marshall. I wonder what the story is there.

Looks like a pretty good get. No real stinkers on his resume as a coordinator and his success did not rely on having mega talent.

I had not heard about Holliday being let go from Marshall. I wonder what the story is there.

Agreed! Plus he had to build Charlotte from the ground up so he knows how to identify talent.

Reactions: Purdue80
Let's see how much patience he has for this hire compared to Holt and Diaco. Hopefully he keeps his hands out of the cookie jar and trust / let Lambert run what he thinks is best. As a Diaco/Lambert comparison: If you look at the 2019 stats between Louisiana Tech and Marshall, Marshall is generally worse in statistical categories except sacks.

Purdue
- 2020 gave 29.8 ppg, passer rating of 144, yards/play of 5.38, 8 TO. 3rd down of 43.7%. Sacks .83/game.
Louisana Tech
- 2019 gave 21.8 ppg, passer rating of 119, yards/play of 5.22, 19 TO. 3rd down of 35%. Sacks 1.85/game.

Lambert DC'd Marshall 2019-2020. Lambert also was DC for Wake Forest (ACC) 2008-2010. Stats below.
- 2009 gave 26.3 ppg, passer rating of 131, yards/play of 5.75. 18 TO. 3rd down 42%. Sacks 2.0/game.
- 2010 gave 35.8 ppg, passer rating of 142, yards/play of 5.83. 16 TO. 3rd down 47%. Sacks 1.92/game.
- 2019 gave 25.0 ppg, passer rating of 128, yards/play of 5.54. 17 TO. 3rd down 39%. Sacks 2.69/game.
- 2020 gave 13.0 ppg, passer rating of 121, yards/play of 4.40. 20 TO. 3rd down 35%. Sacks 2.50/game.

Without knowing more at this time, it looks like 2020 was an anomaly not the norm for Lambert. Hopefully he's learned from his late 2000's ACC experience when stepping up to a tougher conference. Go Boilers.

Hubris. A bunch of Marshall fans think that if they don't go undefeated every year, it's a failure. They act like it's still the 90s-early 2000s. Recruiting has changed, the internet has exploded, and there just isn't the information gap that there used to be. It's a lot harder for guys to slip through the cracks.

That, and the state's governor, who is a complete joke, has wanted rid of Holliday since the day he took office. That had a lot to do with it.

But Marshall fans have demonstrated a level of hubris typically reserved for second and third tier SEC schools.

Also, the reason for the "super secret DC search" for Purdue is now obvious. Lambert was in the final three for the Marshall head coaching position, which just went to Alabama assistant Charles Huff. Can't really hire Lambert as a DC until he didn't get the head coach job.

Hubris. A bunch of Marshall fans think that if they don't go undefeated every year, it's a failure. They act like it's still the 90s-early 2000s. Recruiting has changed, the internet has exploded, and there just isn't the information gap that there used to be. It's a lot harder for guys to slip through the cracks.

That, and the state's governor, who is a complete joke, has wanted rid of Holliday since the day he took office. That had a lot to do with it.

But Marshall fans have demonstrated a level of hubris typically reserved for second and third tier SEC schools.

Also, the reason for the "super secret DC search" for Purdue is now obvious. Lambert was in the final three for the Marshall head coaching position, which just went to Alabama assistant Charles Huff. Can't really hire Lambert as a DC until he didn't get the head coach job.
Wow. Isn't mid 90's when they came up from D-1AA?

Reactions: Purdue85
Well your complete joke of a Republican Governor happens to lead the entire country with getting his West by God Virginians inoculated with the covid vaccine. Take that.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Solid get, solid bunch of coaches. Now, put a competitive product on the field and I'll be happy. I don't expect a top 5 defense, just a group that plays hard and is competitive. I hope to see strides forward with the pass rush and secondary performance. Boiler Up!

Cannot agree with the assesment of Marshall fans. Yes, they are extremely loyal with high expectations, but so what.

Reactions: Purdue85

Wow. Not sure why that set you off so much.

Hubris... arrogance... excessive pride. Nowhere does that really describe Marshall admin or fans.

I'm also not sure why Marshall leadership did what they did. Holliday had been there 10 years and had a pretty decent record. Although, he started off 7-0 this year and fizzled at the end (and they really didn't look good in those final games I watched).

Marshall hasn't gone undefeated in over 20 years. And, prior to Holliday, they endured 5 years of VERY mediocre play under native son, Mark Snyder (former OSU assistant).

Marshall has never had outstanding "recruiting". They were able to land some very capable QBs (NFl'ers Penning, Leftwich). Pennington was one of those who flew under the radar (much like many other QBs we've discussed on this forum). And, Randy Moss landing in their lap was due to Randy's sketchy history, and not so much their recruiting.

My guess is, recent performance, along with his age (mid-60's), ultimately led Marshall to not renew his contract.

This is also another example of the schizophrenic nature of fans. Some fans "simply will not accept mediocrity" (whatever that means), and "demand excellence". Then, when we see it in action (apparently what Marshall is accused of), it's labeled "hubris".

The Marshall history/tradition is one I've followed (from a distance) for quite some time, even before the movie came out. It's really quite the story of a program that made some really quality Head Coach hires, supported their program, and enjoyed (moderate) success over the years (for a mid-major).

The fact that only 24 short years ago they were I-AA (and winning/competing in championships at that level) is another interesting chapter to their rise.

This is not a put down but he is as good of a coach as Purdue could get. If he is not successful it will not be his fault, it will show a lack of talent on D.
It does not matter whether he plays a 4-3 or 3-4, it's just an adjustment not a whole new scheme.
Good luck coach.

This is not a put down but he is as good of a coach as Purdue could get. If he is not successful it will not be his fault, it will show a lack of talent on D.
It does not matter whether he plays a 4-3 or 3-4, it's just an adjustment not a whole new scheme.
Good luck coach.
dude, his defense was #1 in the country, he was a Frank Broyles Award Nominee, and he's a former HC.

"...he is as good of a coach as Purdue could get"...??

Wowzers.

smh

Hi Nat100. What is your take on this hire? I’ve read some background details, yet never followed Marshall nor his background till a few hrs ago. Thoughts appreciated.
I’m fair to it. Been a while since he was a P5 coordinator and no real track record as a recruiter. I’m high on the other two hires but meh to this one.

Reactions: DAG10 and Wolegib
I’m fair to it. Been a while since he was a P5 coordinator and no real track record as a recruiter. I’m high on the other two hires but meh to this one.
Honestly, so so here too. Really liked the Hagen hire due to prior experiences plus recruiting Midwest connections. Ron English seems like a journeymen coach. His experiences at MI and FL are noteworthy along with EMU head coaching should help maintain a Midwest footprint with recruiting. That part is good. Let’s see how this plays out.

Reactions: Fido641
It's finally done. Let's move ahead.

Look what happens while I waited hours for my Covid shot!

Reactions: DAG10
I really think the collective hires have been really good. I think with Hagen, English, and now our new defensive coordinator we are in a better spot. As a unit they have so much experience and I believe we are in a better position to actually improve the defense

it's all about developing talent with the young men we have in our locker room. Some coaches do it and some don't. You could see this last dc did not have the ability to get more out of the players he had. In fact many went the other way. Did not really observe anyone make the big jump on this last team to say wow what great improvement this year from last. Best of luck coaches in working with and developing our young men in 21'

Reactions: Roeder
it's all about developing talent with the young men we have in our locker room. Some coaches do it and some don't. You could see this last dc did not have the ability to get more out of the players he had. In fact many went the other way. Did not really observe anyone make the big jump on this last team to say wow what great improvement this year from last. Best of luck coaches in working with and developing our young men in 21'
I agree if you are not Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State who get all the 4 and 5 stars you want then you have to develop guys. Who on your offense did you see make a significant jump?

Is anyone seeing this as a setup opportunity for poindexter to be groomed by the hires around him? Hagen coming back, english who has dealt with a similar competitive level and now Lambert who has a proven track record to control the defensive side of the football. Seems brohm has found his guy for the future and this is a “big sign” to put correct pieces around him and help him grow as a true DC rather than a plug and play.

I will agree with NAT. and you can go back to this post in 5 years. after the last two assistant coaching hires, I'm not exactly enthused by this hire. I kind of expected more. I kind of expected an experienced coach with some actual P5 success or somebody from the NFL.

This guy was great last year. Hazell was awesome the year before we hired him as well. remember how great hazell was that last year before we hired him? and at what level that success was against? and remember how mediocre hazell was before that last year? . this guy was mediocre the previous three years at the same level of competition hazell faced. .

Marshall thought so much of him, that they hired an assistant coach from Alabama to be their head coach and NOT this guy. They hired Alabama's running backs coach , not an offensive or defensive coordinator over this guy.

he was the head coach of a losing football team. Sure he built it from scratch. That doesn't mean he knew how to build a good team.

he was a DC for wake forest. When were they ever known as a good or great football team? I can't seem to recall their bowl record. I'm sure they played in one.

My biggest concern is his recruiting ability - or lack of it. please, please please don't start going after more MAC and C-USA level talent. I seriously can't see elite level players coming to Purdue to play for this guy. We're going to go back to the old way of recruiting diamonds in the rough and hoping that in 3 years we can develop them into good players. and we all know how great we've developed talent lately.

i don't see this guy as a young, up and coming coach. He's been around awhile.

and i hate to say it, but being a candidate for an award is not winning the award. Purdue had a lot of players and coaches that were candidates for awards.

his team had the #1 defense in the country last year ! whoopie!!!!! who did they play ? and who did they beat? he had 1 great year out of his last 4. and we based our hiring based on his greatness in a COVID year where several of his opponents canceled their games.
2020 Marshall Thundering Herd Schedule | ESPN

I encourage you to review the less than outstanding job he did in 2019
2019 Marshall Thundering Herd Schedule | ESPN

I gave my two cents worth when hazell was hired. and when brohm was hired. I hope I'm wrong about this guy. I'll just ask again, this was the best we could do?

So who did I want this time? i would have preferred Michigan's Brown. he was available, but secured a job elsewhere.

tell me again ,,,, this was the best we could do ???

Reactions: SKYDOG and DAG10
Well your complete joke of a Republican Governor happens to lead the entire country with getting his West by God Virginians inoculated with the covid vaccine. Take that.
That has nothing to do with the governor, and everything to do with the fact that our state is the oldest state in the country, by population. And we're the oldest in population due to decades of terrible economic policies that have chased away the younger generation looking for work...the kind of policies that our Republican In Name Only Governor doubles down on, in between farting audibly at state speeches, delivering literal cow patties at press conferences, taking not-so-secret trips to Johns Hopkins due to his weighing 500 pounds, forcing businesses to close while maintaining his fancy Greenbrier resort open, and raising taxes on businesses and individuals while he owes millions of dollars himself to not only West Virginia but other states.

Wow. Not sure why that set you off so much.

Hubris... arrogance... excessive pride. Nowhere does that really describe Marshall admin or fans.

I'm also not sure why Marshall leadership did what they did. Holliday had been there 10 years and had a pretty decent record. Although, he started off 7-0 this year and fizzled at the end (and they really didn't look good in those final games I watched).

Marshall hasn't gone undefeated in over 20 years. And, prior to Holliday, they endured 5 years of VERY mediocre play under native son, Mark Snyder (former OSU assistant).

Marshall has never had outstanding "recruiting". They were able to land some very capable QBs (NFl'ers Penning, Leftwich). Pennington was one of those who flew under the radar (much like many other QBs we've discussed on this forum). And, Randy Moss landing in their lap was due to Randy's sketchy history, and not so much their recruiting.

My guess is, recent performance, along with his age (mid-60's), ultimately led Marshall to not renew his contract.

This is also another example of the schizophrenic nature of fans. Some fans "simply will not accept mediocrity" (whatever that means), and "demand excellence". Then, when we see it in action (apparently what Marshall is accused of), it's labeled "hubris".

The Marshall history/tradition is one I've followed (from a distance) for quite some time, even before the movie came out. It's really quite the story of a program that made some really quality Head Coach hires, supported their program, and enjoyed (moderate) success over the years (for a mid-major).

The fact that only 24 short years ago they were I-AA (and winning/competing in championships at that level) is another interesting chapter to their rise.
Nothing "set me off." I just find the firing of a highly successful coach at a school with limited resources to reek of hubris. The guy won nearly two-thirds of his games there and won his first seven this year. He loses three in a row and all of a sudden it's a fireable offense? It's beyond ridiculous. That's the kind of crap you expect at a place like Auburn or something. They really expect to do better than that? Maybe they will by accident, but this wasn't the right move. It's a job that will be a destination job for almost no one.

I will add, this state has a history of lousy people elected to public office sticking their nose into Marshall football. Joe Manchin forced Marshall and WVU to play each other when he was governor.

I will agree with NAT. and you can go back to this post in 5 years. after the last two assistant coaching hires, I'm not exactly enthused by this hire. I kind of expected more. I kind of expected an experienced coach with some actual P5 success or somebody from the NFL.

This guy was great last year. Hazell was awesome the year before we hired him as well. remember how great hazell was that last year before we hired him? and at what level that success was against? and remember how mediocre hazell was before that last year? . this guy was mediocre the previous three years at the same level of competition hazell faced. .

Marshall thought so much of him, that they hired an assistant coach from Alabama to be their head coach and NOT this guy. They hired Alabama's running backs coach , not an offensive or defensive coordinator over this guy.

he was the head coach of a losing football team. Sure he built it from scratch. That doesn't mean he knew how to build a good team.

he was a DC for wake forest. When were they ever known as a good or great football team? I can't seem to recall their bowl record. I'm sure they played in one.

My biggest concern is his recruiting ability - or lack of it. please, please please don't start going after more MAC and C-USA level talent. I seriously can't see elite level players coming to Purdue to play for this guy. We're going to go back to the old way of recruiting diamonds in the rough and hoping that in 3 years we can develop them into good players. and we all know how great we've developed talent lately.

and i hate to say it, but being a candidate for an award is not winning the award. Purdue had a lot of players and coaches that were candidates for awards.

his team had the #1 defense in the country last year ! whoopie!!!!! who did they play ? and who did they beat? he had 1 great year out of his last 4. and we based our hiring based on his greatness in a COVID year where several of his opponents canceled their games.

I gave my two cents worth when hazell was hired. and when brohm was hired. I hope I'm wrong about this guy. I'll just ask again, this was the best we could do?

So who did I want this time? i would have preferred Michigan's Brown. he was available, but secured a job elsewhere.

Purdue didn't need a young up and comer. To boom or bust. They needed a safe hire that could come in and mend the locker room and get this D consistently top 50. Lambert can do that at minimum.

Reactions: Brya31
Nothing "set me off." I just find the firing of a highly successful coach at a school with limited resources to reek of hubris. The guy won nearly two-thirds of his games there and won his first seven this year. He loses three in a row and all of a sudden it's a fireable offense? It's beyond ridiculous. That's the kind of crap you expect at a place like Auburn or something. They really expect to do better than that? Maybe they will by accident, but this wasn't the right move. It's a job that will be a destination job for almost no one.

I will add, this state has a history of lousy people elected to public office sticking their nose into Marshall football. Joe Manchin forced Marshall and WVU to play each other when he was governor.

Well, again, I've never found the word "hubris" to be associate with anything related to Marshall University. That's more than just a little odd.

Also, as noted, Holliday is in his 60's (soon to be 64, if memory serves). We also never know what's going on (or what has gone on) behind the scenes in a situation like this. Maybe nothing, maybe something.

With respect to WVU/Marshall, I know a lot of Marshall people have wanted at least a semi-regular series (not necessarily every year). Heck, in Ohio, the flagship school (OSU) is required to play in-state schools every year (BGSU, UC, Miami, OU, Toledo, et al). At least, it used to be that way. I'm assuming it still is. I'm no fan of Manchin (typical self-serving politician), but that move makes good economic sense.

You really do come across as having an ax to grind. If not, my bad.

And, it goes to the point that has been made previously, that there was no actual candidate in mind for this hire, much less any genuine plan...there was much talk about this hire taking so long because of a plan of waiting for someone that was still coaching...which obviously was not the case, and, had Holliday not just been fired, this hire would not have occurred either.

He can't be worse than his predecessor...and, he will benefit I think from some of the other hires that were made on that side of the ball, but, I am VERY skeptical of the idea that Poindexter is apparently now "the guy" essentially by default, and, disappointed, as you are, that Purdue is seemingly capable of "more", but, perhaps that is not the case...which is a concern if so.

This was a critical hire...and I am not sure that Brohm got it right...I hope that he did, for his own sake, and, it would be nice as well for our sake as fans.

Reactions: NVboiler and SKYDOG
And, it goes to the point that has been made previously, that there was no actual candidate in mind for this hire, much less any genuine plan...there was much talk about this hire taking so long because of a plan of waiting for someone that was still coaching...which obviously was not the case, and, had Holliday not just been fired, this hire would not have occurred either.

He can't be worse than his predecessor...and, he will benefit I think from some of the other hires that were made on that side of the ball, but, I am VERY skeptical of the idea that Poindexter is apparently now "the guy" essentially by default, and, disappointed, as you are, that Purdue is seemingly capable of "more", but, perhaps that is not the case...which is a concern if so.

This was a critical hire...and I am not sure that Brohm got it right...I hope that he did, for his own sake, and, it would be nice as well for our sake as fans.
What do you mean he wouldn't have come had Holiday not been fired? Lambert was literally holding out for that job. Who did you prefer over Lambert?

Reactions: Indy_Rider
This isn't a great hire. But it's not a bad hire. Quite frankly, I like the fact that English, Hagen, and Lambert have good, solid experience. Right now, that's what Brohm needs on his staff. He doesn't need to worry about whether these guys know what they're doing or not. Brohm isn't a defensive guy, obviously (or he wouldn't have hired Diaco), so he needs someone who he doesn't have to watch as that person grows from a position coach to a coordinator. He needs someone who's been there, done that. This team isn't going to be known for its defense. It just needs to be solid and get off the field on 3rd and long.

I'm really curious for those who don't think this is a good hire, who exactly did you think was going to agree to step into this current situation? Most well qualified DC's with a stable job wouldn't give this a sniff. You have to look at it from the candidate's perspective. This could be a great opportunity or it could be career suicide. IMO Lambert is probably in the 90th percentile of the available candidate pool. But unless you see the list of guys who said "thanks but no thanks" you really can't judge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT