ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Lambert Is DC

I'm really curious for those who don't think this is a good hire, who exactly did you think was going to agree to step into this current situation? Most well qualified DC's with a stable job wouldn't give this a sniff. You have to look at it from the candidate's perspective. This could be a great opportunity or it could be career suicide. IMO Lambert is probably in the 90th percentile of the available candidate pool. But unless you see the list of guys who said "thanks but no thanks" you really can't judge.
You make two good points: 1) Us Knuckleheads had better candidates in our minds (Brock Spack for me personally). Brock may have had no interest. Who knows.
2) Would have loved to have seen that list. Was wondering if there were others that already past us over or what may have happened. We'll never know.

I will agree with NAT. and you can go back to this post in 5 years. after the last two assistant coaching hires, I'm not exactly enthused by this hire. I kind of expected more. I kind of expected an experienced coach with some actual P5 success or somebody from the NFL.

This guy was great last year. Hazell was awesome the year before we hired him as well. remember how great hazell was that last year before we hired him? and at what level that success was against? and remember how mediocre hazell was before that last year? . this guy was mediocre the previous three years at the same level of competition hazell faced. .

Marshall thought so much of him, that they hired an assistant coach from Alabama to be their head coach and NOT this guy. They hired Alabama's running backs coach , not an offensive or defensive coordinator over this guy.

he was the head coach of a losing football team. Sure he built it from scratch. That doesn't mean he knew how to build a good team.

he was a DC for wake forest. When were they ever known as a good or great football team? I can't seem to recall their bowl record. I'm sure they played in one.

My biggest concern is his recruiting ability - or lack of it. please, please please don't start going after more MAC and C-USA level talent. I seriously can't see elite level players coming to Purdue to play for this guy. We're going to go back to the old way of recruiting diamonds in the rough and hoping that in 3 years we can develop them into good players. and we all know how great we've developed talent lately.

i don't see this guy as a young, up and coming coach. He's been around awhile.

and i hate to say it, but being a candidate for an award is not winning the award. Purdue had a lot of players and coaches that were candidates for awards.

his team had the #1 defense in the country last year ! whoopie!!!!! who did they play ? and who did they beat? he had 1 great year out of his last 4. and we based our hiring based on his greatness in a COVID year where several of his opponents canceled their games.
2020 Marshall Thundering Herd Schedule | ESPN

I encourage you to review the less than outstanding job he did in 2019
2019 Marshall Thundering Herd Schedule | ESPN

I gave my two cents worth when hazell was hired. and when brohm was hired. I hope I'm wrong about this guy. I'll just ask again, this was the best we could do?

So who did I want this time? i would have preferred Michigan's Brown. he was available, but secured a job elsewhere.

tell me again ,,,, this was the best we could do ???
Next time do some research when Lambert was d/c at Wake, they won quite a few games before you make stupid remarks about his coaching and lack of it

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
And, it goes to the point that has been made previously, that there was no actual candidate in mind for this hire, much less any genuine plan...there was much talk about this hire taking so long because of a plan of waiting for someone that was still coaching...which obviously was not the case, and, had Holliday not just been fired, this hire would not have occurred either.

He can't be worse than his predecessor...and, he will benefit I think from some of the other hires that were made on that side of the ball, but, I am VERY skeptical of the idea that Poindexter is apparently now "the guy" essentially by default, and, disappointed, as you are, that Purdue is seemingly capable of "more", but, perhaps that is not the case...which is a concern if so.

This was a critical hire...and I am not sure that Brohm got it right...I hope that he did, for his own sake, and, it would be nice as well for our sake as fans.
how do you think you know this?

Am I missing some public information on the process?

Holliday was in the last year of his contract. That was public knowledge... especially to Lambert.

If I'm Lambert, I'm keeping my options open, but sitting still as long as possible, in the event there's an opening.

WHICH...!.... seems abundantly likely, for a program with a coach without an extension.

Not picking on you, DAG ... I really don't understand the ongoing efforts to talk down some of the goings-on with this program.

You make two good points: 1) Us Knuckleheads had better candidates in our minds (Brock Spack for me personally). Brock may have had no interest. Who knows.
2) Would have loved to have seen that list. Was wondering if there were others that already past us over or what may have happened. We'll never know.
2) On the pay board this was shown. Mike Elston from ND and Lambert were the two who Brohm had serious discussions with. Initially it looked like Elston was the favorite but he waffled on the decision (maybe Kelly and Marcus Freeman convinced him to stay - not clear from our side or ND’s side). Lambert came into the picture in the last week or so. Lambert + Hagen + English is a pretty good haul if you ask me. Brohm did pretty well. I was hoping we’d get Elston as DC but I think Brohm did well this time. All three of these defensive hires make sense this time.

Last edited:
how do you think you know this?

Am I missing some public information on the process?

Holliday was in the last year of his contract. That was public knowledge... especially to Lambert.

If I'm Lambert, I'm keeping my options open, but sitting still as long as possible, in the event there's an opening.

WHICH...!.... seems abundantly likely, for a program with a coach without an extension.

Not picking on you, DAG ... I really don't understand the ongoing efforts to talk down some of the goings-on with this program.
I certainly don't take it personally in any way, so, no need to worry about that.

I am not trying to talk down the program either.

I just have concerns...and I have shared them...I am very concerned given what happened with Diaco being hired, Biagi being hired, and, then what transpired this year, as, it was bothersome in just about every way.

I have no idea what Lambert's plans were, but, I commented recently that I was concerned that nobody had been hired...admittedly, not believing that it was because they were waiting on someone still coaching (as I was hard pressed to believe that they were going to get someone of that quality), and, when they hire a guy who has just become available because of the surprise firing of the HC at his program, it, to me, is a case of it not being as if Brohm had targeted Lambert in December and was just waiting until 1/18/21 to see if he could get him.

I said that I think in conjunction with the other moves made, that it could work, and, hopefully it will, but, I have a hard time believing that if upon firing (so rightfully) Diaco, Lambert was announced as the replacement, that many/most on here would be turning cartwheels.

I am just admittedly down on what happened going back to hiring Diaco, then, what happened this year...as this program took a significant step back, at a time that it really should not have, and, really can't afford to.

I am skeptical of Poindexter to begin with, and, others seem(ed) to be as well...quite frankly, I like the hires of English and Hagen way more than I like the co-DC of Lambert and Poindexter.

Ultimately, change(s) had to occur...hopefully the combination of those that did will make a difference...I just would have liked to have thought that Purdue could have landed a proven P5 DC, or, someone about to become one potentially.

Like say, hopefully this works, and, I feel better about that prospect with Hagen and English, but, I am bothered that there seemingly was no plan aside of firing Diaco, who never should have been hired, and, that Purdue as fortunate that Hagen and English became available, or who knows where this would have went.

I certainly don't take it personally in any way, so, no need to worry about that.

I am not trying to talk down the program either.

I just have concerns...and I have shared them...I am very concerned given what happened with Diaco being hired, Biagi being hired, and, then what transpired this year, as, it was bothersome in just about every way.

I have no idea what Lambert's plans were, but, I commented recently that I was concerned that nobody had been hired...admittedly, not believing that it was because they were waiting on someone still coaching (as I was hard pressed to believe that they were going to get someone of that quality), and, when they hire a guy who has just become available because of the surprise firing of the HC at his program, it, to me, is a case of it not being as if Brohm had targeted Lambert in December and was just waiting until 1/18/21 to see if he could get him.

I said that I think in conjunction with the other moves made, that it could work, and, hopefully it will, but, I have a hard time believing that if upon firing (so rightfully) Diaco, Lambert was announced as the replacement, that many/most on here would be turning cartwheels.

I am just admittedly down on what happened going back to hiring Diaco, then, what happened this year...as this program took a significant step back, at a time that it really should not have, and, really can't afford to.

I am skeptical of Poindexter to begin with, and, others seem(ed) to be as well...quite frankly, I like the hires of English and Hagen way more than I like the co-DC of Lambert and Poindexter.

Ultimately, change(s) had to occur...hopefully the combination of those that did will make a difference...I just would have liked to have thought that Purdue could have landed a proven P5 DC, or, someone about to become one potentially.

Like say, hopefully this works, and, I feel better about that prospect with Hagen and English, but, I am bothered that there seemingly was no plan aside of firing Diaco, who never should have been hired, and, that Purdue as fortunate that Hagen and English became available, or who knows where this would have went.
Why do you worry about what could have happened vs. what did happen? We are in a much better place now than we were at the end of the 2020 season.

Next time do some research when Lambert was d/c at Wake, they won quite a few games before you make stupid remarks about his coaching and lack of it
Apparently I missed Wake being a national power of some (any) sort.

On the other hand, ND won a ton of games when Diaco was there, and, he may have been the most incapable DC in all of college football.

Why do you worry about what could have happened vs. what did happen? We are in a much better place now than we were at the end of the 2020 season.
I don't disagree, but, I am concerned about why they were in the position that they were at the end of the 2020 season, as, that should never have happened...so, it could not help but be better in light of where they were, meaning the bar was really low, but, I am glad that they are in a better position...just frustrated that it was a matter of circumstance(s) rather than any genuine plan or guys that were targeted.

I don't disagree, but, I am concerned about why they were in the position that they were at the end of the 2020 season, as, that should never have happened...so, it could not help but be better in light of where they were, meaning the bar was really low, but, I am glad that they are in a better position...just frustrated that it was a matter of circumstance(s) rather than any genuine plan or guys that were targeted.
Brohm made a bad decision with Diaco. He’s more than rectified that bad decision.

2) On the pay board this was shown. Mike Elston from ND and Lambert were the two who Brohm had serious discussions with. Initially it looked like Elston was the favorite but he waffled on the decision (maybe Kelly and Marcus Freeman convinced him to stay - not clear from our side or ND’s side). Lambert came into the picture in the last week or so. Lambert + Hagen + English is a pretty good haul if you ask me. Brohm did pretty well. I was hoping we’d get Elston as DC but I think Brohm did well this time. All three of these defensive hires make sense this time.
SDBoiler1, thanks for your comments and insight. I do appreciate it.

While I'm not a Missourian, I'll lean on their state motto for our beloved Purdue program, "Show me." I can't drink the Kool-Aide from any semblance of the lead up to and thru 2020. I really do believe a few purges have helped, but I'm not convinced yet. Every coach and player has a lot of work to do this off-season to get ready for Spring and Fall camp.

Reactions: DAG10
Like I said, if not Mike Hankwitz, then Brad Lambert … best defense in the country. Not Wake. Not Charlotte. Marshall. Now.

NCAA 2020 Defensive Rankings -- Yards Per Game
1. Army 275.3
2. Marshall 279.4
3. San Diego State 283.5
4. West Virginia 291.4
5. Wisconsin 299.9
(all others 300-plus)

NCAA 2020 Defensive Rankings -- Yards Per Play
1. Iowa 4.34
2. San Diego State 4.36
3. Marshall 4.40
4. Cincinnati 4.57
5. West Virginia 4.65
6. UAB 4.69

NCAA 2020 Defensive Rankings -- Offensive Touchdowns
1. Rice 10 in 5 G
2. Air Force 11 in 6 G
3. Northwestern 13 in 9 G
3. Washington 13 in 4 G
3. Colorado State 13 in 4 G
6. Marshall 14 in 10 G
6. Wisconsin 14 in 7 G
6. California 14 in 4 G

Like I said, if not Mike Hankwitz, then Brad Lambert … best defense in the country. Not Wake. Not Charlotte. Marshall. Now.

NCAA 2020 Defensive Rankings -- Yards Per Game
1. Army 275.3
2. Marshall 279.4
3. San Diego State 283.5
4. West Virginia 291.4
5. Wisconsin 299.9
(all others 300-plus)

NCAA 2020 Defensive Rankings -- Yards Per Play
1. Iowa 4.34
2. San Diego State 4.36
3. Marshall 4.40
4. Cincinnati 4.57
5. West Virginia 4.65
6. UAB 4.69

NCAA 2020 Defensive Rankings -- Offensive Touchdowns
1. Rice 10 in 5 G
2. Air Force 11 in 6 G
3. Northwestern 13 in 9 G
3. Washington 13 in 4 G
3. Colorado State 13 in 4 G
6. Marshall 14 in 10 G
6. Wisconsin 14 in 7 G
6. California 14 in 4 G
The most important stat - scoring defense. Marshall 12.6 ppg. In 2019, it was 23.1 ppg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT