ADVERTISEMENT

Box Score Interesting

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
3 guys on the floor with more assists than Braden Smith. Wow...Kinda shocking. But him hunting shots will always lower that I guess. Smith great tonight, but did not realize he and TKR shot 23/20 shots. Seems like a bunch. Might have to be the case this year though.

Foul shooting other than Loyer was 8/17. Ouch.
Loyer 7/7

Impressed with the fact we out rebounded them. TKR with Kalk on the floor still getting 8, and our guards Harris and Smith rebounded very well. 6+7Rs

5 steals -- extremely positive.

+/- DJ and Harris +8 and +6. As freshmen that was great to see.

Last edited:
3 guys on the floor with more assists than Braden Smith. Wow...Kinda shocking. But him hunting shots will always lower that I guess. Smith great tonight, but did not realize he and TKR shot 20/23 shots. Seems like a bunch. Might have to be the case this year though.

Foul shooting other than Loyer was 8/17. Ouch.

Impressed with the fact we out rebounded them. TKR with Kalk on the floor still getting 8, and our guards Harris and Smith rebounded very well. 6+7Rs

5 steals -- extremely positive.

+/- DJ and Harris +8 and +6. As freshmen that was great to see.
I wonder how many were assists TO Braden…maybe not that much since he was off the bounce a lot with his a lot of his makes. I think Braden didn’t have any until fletch hit his first 3 in the game.

Edit: also, Braden with 4 turnovers. I can remember 2 that weren’t that great and not typical of him. But man, his shot off the PnR is just…*chefs kiss* 😂

The low turnovers was remarkable. and the steals. My only knock on fox was inability to take care of the ball but he did great so probably just a reality of how good we were at forcing turnovers in the scrimmages.

the box score doesn’t look great against the 3 but it was really 2 guys making circus 3s. I didn’t know much about isaacs or even ashworth and isaacs was a scoring machine in the big 12 and ashworth was on Bob Cousy PG watch list last year and excellent 3 shooter. He averaged 1.5 TOs per game last year and had 4 last night

The low turnovers was remarkable. and the steals. My only knock on fox was inability to take care of the ball but he did great so probably just a reality of how good we were at forcing turnovers in the scrimmages.

the box score doesn’t look great against the 3 but it was really 2 guys making circus 3s. I didn’t know much about isaacs or even ashworth and isaacs was a scoring machine in the big 12 and ashworth was on Bob Cousy PG watch list last year and excellent 3 shooter. He averaged 1.5 TOs per game last year and had 4 last night

TOs... great point. Saw it was good and didn't think beyond that. Given the number of minutes frosh played ....TOs was quite remarkable....as frosh are usually careless with the ball and subject to stupid plays because of inexperience.

7 turnovers (4 by smith) and 13 by Creighton due to 5 steals by Purdue (did we have that many ever last year?!? Kidding I know Loyer had 4 vs Arizona).

But CJ and Harris hounding a 26 year old Covid senior and making him look uncomfortable at times and really having to work to get open was encouraging. Smith and Loyer looked much improved on defense too, along with Colvin in his limited mins.

7 turnovers (4 by smith) and 13 by Creighton due to 5 steals by Purdue (did we have that many ever last year?!? Kidding I know Loyer had 4 vs Arizona).

But CJ and Harris hounding a 26 year old Covid senior and making him look uncomfortable at times and really having to work to get open was encouraging. Smith and Loyer looked much improved on defense too, along with Colvin in his limited mins.
I will be SO glad when Covid years are over. Yes, Purdue benefitted greatly from Jones, but other than him they've done it the traditional way with their impact guys while being ranked in top 5 three years in a row. Very impressive, and it makes you wonder if they would have been even more dominant if Covid years weren't granted during that stretch.

Fletch, TKR and Braden looked great.. other 2 spots are open. Of the rest of the team, Cox and DJ impressed me most. My guess is that will be the starting 5 by start B1G schedule. This team really need 2 or 3 guys to step up as scorers. Miles and Heide are most likely to step up. The game will be a great teaching tool for CMP and I think will benefit us once the season starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT