ADVERTISEMENT

Boilerepherine - The Purdue fan brain chemical...

Cleanface

Sophomore
Apr 11, 2008
Louisville Paint Crew
NEW STOCK // 3.18.21 // Fresh squeezed for your Mean Green hangover.

Boiler-eff-er-een (noun)

I have determined that I, and possibly many of us, have a brain chemical which has been developed over my many years (around 28 to be exact) of being a fan of Purdue University athletics. I believe this chemical was first initiated in my brain after the crushing loss to Kansas State in the 1988 NCAA Tourney. I was 10, and I cried in our laundry room. Since that time my experiences have lead me to one conclusion; my brain produces a chemical called Boilerepherine - a direct result of my Purdue fandom.

Let me describe my experience during the game today (Ark-Little Rock, 2016 NCAA First Round);

In the 1st half I was on edge. Passionate, cheering, shouting, willing Purdue with all of my karma and might. I was somewhat enraged and irritable, passionate per usual, and feisty as f*ck. My one year old son was cooing and shouting in his one year old way, imitating me as I cheered on our mighty Boilermakers, shouted at the announcers, and flailed my arms in disgust when necessary.

As the 2nd half unfolded I became more calm and happy as we were in control and playing great. I believe it is during this phase of the game that the Boilerepherine starts being produced as historically my brain knows that a great collapse is on the horizon.

When the final 5 minutes began to unfold I recall a gentle calm coming over me. I was no longer flailing and shouting and foaming at the mouth per usual. I watched and I hoped, yet I remained at ease and unaffected by the sh*tstorm that was brewing before my eyes. As we collapsed into a tie, blowing our 14 pt lead, I received and responded to texts from my friends with a happy banter simply saying thing like "I hope we can grind them in OT", and "typical Purdue, glad we go 10 deep!" and things of this nature. Not cursing their existence and degrading their mothers, which would be a very typical response from many "fans" in a similar situation. No, I was caaalm...like a sailor knee-deep in a Philippine opium den.

By the time the 2nd OT was in full swing, and we were playing from behind for the entirety, the Boilerepherine was in full effect. I paced and I shrugged, and my thoughts shifted to my own realization that I had fully accepted our fate, and I was puzzled as to why I no longer really cared. I watched as the end came near, and I felt glimpses of hope that we might pull it out, but I was no longer invested whatsoever in the outcome. I simply no longer cared, and I accepted the loss with a smile and complete calmness as I ascended from the basement to greet my loving family. My daughter hugged me, my son crawled near, and I said stupid things like, "life is good!", and "oh well!"

Denial? Maybe. Maturity?? Doubtful. Exhaustion? Not likely. Simple acceptance? Hmmmm...possibly. However, when you contrast the passion and fervor I have for Purdue athletics, and the seething fury I will display during games, with the calm and accepting demeanor I displayed tonight after this most crushing of losses I can only come to one conclusion...

Boilerepherine.

Last edited:
I think you're onto something. I fell asleep to that KSU game as a kid, and was shocked to hear they actually lost. 1994 same thing. 1999...not so much. Now it's inevitable. As soon as Little Rock had the ball down three in regulation you knew Purdue was going to lose, and I started thinking about how I could spend all day Saturday doing something that didn't involve watching other people do stuff.

I will admit I did want to come back here to see the Sunshine Boys and their vitriol one last time. There is a certain group of complete asshole fans here who think that anytime you question something you're a "hater" or being "negative". Asking "where do you think Jacquil Taylor gets minutes on this team?" means you hate Jacquil Taylor. Saying there's no way Kendall Stephens is leaving early for the NBA means you hate him. As long as these people exist Purdue will continue to be Purdon't, because they're ready to make every excuse and squash any questions .

It's no wonder engineers need MBAs to tell them what to do. They're a bunch of socially awkward rejects who need constant hand-holding and are unable to see the big picture of anything.

Reactions: pu1985
Funny story. Funny, yet sad. I wish it wasn't so. If it hurts us, think about the seniors. One more made shot in regulation. One fewer turnover. *sigh* Thank-you Ray, AJ, and Johnny. This was a remarkable team; you were all a big part of it.

To the players (& coaches) who will return, let's learn finally from this experience. We simply must learn to play with character all the way until the very end. Or these endings will continue to be disappointingly premature.

I'm convinced that those on here that defend this shitty program are either paid by Morgan Burke or related to him.

I have determined that I, and possibly many of us, have a brain chemical which has been developed over my many years (around 28 to be exact) of being a fan of Purdue University athletics. I believe this chemical was first initiated in my brain after the crushing loss to Kansas State in the 1988 NCAA Tourney. I was 10, and I cried in our laundry room. Since that time my experiences have lead me to one conclusion; my brain produces a chemical called Boilerepherine. A direct result of my PU fandom.

Let me describe my experience during the game today.

In the 1st half I was on edge. Passionate, cheering, shouting, willing Purdue with all of my karma and might. I was somewhat enraged and irritable, passionate per usual, and feisty as f*ck. My one year old son was cooing and shouting in his one year old way, imitating me as I cheered on our mighty Boilermakers, shouted at the announcers, and flailed my arms in disgust when necessary.

As the 2nd half unfolded I became more calm and happy as we were in control and playing great. I believe it is during this phase of the game that the Boilerepherine starts being produced as historically my brain knows that a great collapse is on the horizon.

When the final 5 minutes began to unfold I recall a gentle calm coming over me. I was no longer flailing and shouting and foaming at the mouth per usual. I watched and I hoped, yet I remained at ease and unaffected by the sh*tstorm that was brewing before my eyes. As we collapsed into a tie, blowing our 14 pt lead, I received and responded to texts from my friends with a happy banter simply saying thing like "I hope we can grind them in OT", and "typical Purdue, glad we go 10 deep!" and things of this nature. Not cursing their existence and degrading their mothers, which would be a very typical response from many "fans" in a similar situation. No, I was calm, like a sailor knee-deep in a Philippine opium den.

By the time the 2nd OT was in full swing, and we were playing from behind for the entirety, the Boilerepherine was in full effect. I paced and I shrugged, and my thoughts shifted to my own realization that I had fully accepted our fate, and I was puzzled as to why I no longer really cared. I watched as the end came near, and I felt glimpses of hope that we might pull it out, but I was no longer invested whatsoever in the outcome. I simply no longer cared, and I accepted the loss with a smile and complete calmness as I ascended from the basement to greet my loving family. My daughter hugged me, my son crawled near, and I said stupid things like, "life is good!", and "oh well!"

Denial? Maybe. Maturity?? Doubtful. Exhaustion? Not likely. Simple acceptance? Hmmmm...possibly. However, when you contrast the passion and fervor I have for Purdue athletics, and the seething fury I will display during games, with the calm and accepting demeanor I displayed tonight after this most crushing of losses I can only come to one conclusion...

Boilerepherine.
That was fantastic.

I can remember going to the bowlgame in Tampa where Drew Brees played Georgia. At half time Purdue had a 25 point lead. I can remember telling myself this is going to be a cake walk. Ha, the laugh was on me. Another Purdue choke!

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Thx bro.

Do you think you may have developed Boilerepherine too??

I am compiling a reference list of interwebz message boarders to be submitted to the AMA, so lemme know.
I am not going to lie. Completely above the board here. When they lost to Butler in December, I lost a lot of passion. I am 47 years old and have gone through a lot as a lifelong Purdue fan, born and raised in Lafayette. I used to get so celebratory over big Purdue victories or very angry over big games / bad losses, especially when they had a chance in the game. After the Butler game this year, I was beyond frustrated. I did not watch / listen to a whole game for a tad after that. Then, the Iowa game at Mackey happened. My passion was killed as a whole. Now, my passion was killed for all sports by that point because of the teams I root for and what I have gone through the last 10 years or so. As a Purdue basketball / football fan, well, we all know what happened there. As a Cincinnati Reds fan, just read up on the playoff blunders in the last ten years. As a Bengals fan, this last year was a nail in the coffin. No more emotional investment in any sports team. I will support my teams but to arrange time to watch / listen? No more. To have a negative reaction after a loss? No more. Life is too fun and I have too much more music to study and learn in my lifetime. Sports is just a distraction for me from now on and the loss against Little Rock really did not bother me. What did I invest? Money? No (I did not attend games or purchase cable tv packages or buy merchandise). Time and effort? A little bit of time listening to the games but for the most part, no effort as years past. I am what any sports team dreads: a very disinterested fan.

Reactions: Cleanface
I have determined that I, and possibly many of us, have a brain chemical which has been developed over my many years (around 28 to be exact) of being a fan of Purdue University athletics. I believe this chemical was first initiated in my brain after the crushing loss to Kansas State in the 1988 NCAA Tourney. I was 10, and I cried in our laundry room. Since that time my experiences have lead me to one conclusion; my brain produces a chemical called Boilerepherine. A direct result of my PU fandom.

When the final 5 minutes began to unfold I recall a gentle calm coming over me. I was no longer flailing and shouting and foaming at the mouth per usual. I watched and I hoped, yet I remained at ease and unaffected by the sh*tstorm that was brewing before my eyes. As we collapsed into a tie, blowing our 14 pt lead, I received and responded to texts from my friends with a happy banter simply saying thing like "I hope we can grind them in OT", and "typical Purdue, glad we go 10 deep!" and things of this nature. Not cursing their existence and degrading their mothers, which would be a very typical response from many "fans" in a similar situation. No, I was calm, like a sailor knee-deep in a Philippine opium den.

Boilerepherine.
Wow this was a great post. Missed it last year, I think I stayed away from the board for a while after the latest NCAA gut-blender.

I was right there with you in '88, though I also remember staying up late listening to Cliz describe our double OT loss to a semi-pro LSU team, on their home court, and also recall my dad delivering the bad news after I got home from school that James Bullock missed a game winner against Auburn.

I got to witness in person Tony Jones getting de-cleated against Texas in the Dome. Watching Miller and Cardinal literally be assaulted by Stanford was another highlight.

Now I pretty much go into the NCAAs like I'm watching a horror movie, just waiting for the next surge of discordant music, the next creaking door to open, or the next blood curdling scream. Usually only 1 character survives in these movies, and maybe one day that will be us.

Reactions: Biglonglake
I definitely have a Boilerepherine condition. I've learned to live with it though. I understand that most "big" games (football and hoops) will follow a simple Purdue formula:

1. Purdue will start on fire and get out to an early, often large lead -OR-
1a. Purdue will start slow, find themselves with an early, often large deficit.

2. The opponent comes to life, fights back and ties the game/takes the lead -OR-
2a. Purdue comes to life, fights back all the way back to tie or take the lead.

3. Purdue fights back, hangs in, possibly even taking a late lead with a sure victory in sight -OR-
3a. The game tightens to a back-and-forth, opponent has lead, but Purdue still has an opportunity to win.

4. Something goes terribly wrong, resulting in crushing defeat. -OR-
4a. Something goes terribly wrong, resulting in crushing defeat.

Now, this formula got broken earlier this year against ND in the Crossroads. It makes me believe that this team has the ability to help cure my Boilerepherine condition. However, not sure how much more my heart can take!

Last edited:

Boilerepherine.
That's not real. Alex Jones said so.

Wow this was a great post. Missed it last year, I think I stayed away from the board for a while after the latest NCAA gut-blender.

I was right there with you in '88, though I also remember staying up late listening to Cliz describe our double OT loss to a semi-pro LSU team, on their home court, and also recall my dad delivering the bad news after I got home from school that James Bullock missed a game winner against Auburn.

I got to witness in person Tony Jones getting de-cleated against Texas in the Dome. Watching Miller and Cardinal literally be assaulted by Stanford was another highlight.

Now I pretty much go into the NCAAs like I'm watching a horror movie, just waiting for the next surge of discordant music, the next creaking door to open, or the next blood curdling scream. Usually only 1 character survives in these movies, and maybe one day that will be us.
I can remember all of those games incredibly well also...I was at the Auburn game, the Texas game and Stanford game, as well as the Duke game in Knoxville and VCU game in Chicago a couple of years ago, and had gone to the games in South Bend against Fairleigh Dickinson and Memphis prior to the K-State loss (which is probably the one that hurt the most...other than maybe the Wisconsin game).

Ironically, as I look at that list, I know someone now from each of those teams and have been able to discuss those very games with them...which was not necessarily cathartic.

I can remember all of those games incredibly well also...I was at the Auburn game, the Texas game and Stanford game, as well as the Duke game in Knoxville and VCU game in Chicago a couple of years ago, and had gone to the games in South Bend against Fairleigh Dickinson and Memphis prior to the K-State loss (which is probably the one that hurt the most...other than maybe the Wisconsin game).

Ironically, as I look at that list, I know someone now from each of those teams and have been able to discuss those very games with them...which was not necessarily cathartic.
KSU was by far the worst for me. It was just such a shocking end for my all time favorite group of Boilers.

KSU was by far the worst for me. It was just such a shocking end for my all time favorite group of Boilers.
Have to agree, although the Wisconsin loss was a close second...I was devastated after the KSU loss, but, felt about the same after that Wisconsin loss as well.

Reactions: skfboiler

What do you do that you have contacts with former players from such a long period of time? Those would be some frustrating conversations!!! I worked with Kip Jones for a couple years and we "replayed" the Silverdome many times. Very bad memories, that was the worst loss for me.

Have to agree, although the Wisconsin loss was a close second...I was devastated after the KSU loss, but, felt about the same after that Wisconsin loss as well.
I guess the difference for me was I had a bad feeling going in about the Wisconsin game, whereas I KNEW we were going to stomp KSU again... couple missed free throws and a couple turnovers in the final moments, and boom it was over.

I just put 10 bucks on Purdue to win it all. Is this because of the same drug? I can't really explain it so I'm going with your post.

I guess the difference for me was I had a bad feeling going in about the Wisconsin game, whereas I KNEW we were going to stomp KSU again... couple missed free throws and a couple turnovers in the final moments, and boom it was over.
Fair point(s)...although I was pretty sure that Purdue could/would not lose to Wisconsin yet again that year, especially after just having done so two weeks before in Chicago in the BTT.

Like you, I was just sure that the '87 team was just going to get to the Final Four, if not win the entire thing...and I was certain (as you alluded to) that they would beat KSU again that year, only to see it all fall apart down the stretch in similar fashion to so many other subsequent tournament exits (including UALR a year ago).

What do you do that you have contacts with former players from such a long period of time? Those would be some frustrating conversations!!! I worked with Kip Jones for a couple years and we "replayed" the Silverdome many times. Very bad memories, that was the worst loss for me.
Some coaching experiences...and some business/work experiences...and some cases where contacts/relationships with some former players or coaches subsequently have led to contacts/relationships with other former players.

I had not even thought much of it until I was listing those games that I had all of them covered! And, as I had mentioned, that is not a good thing entirely...as there have been a lot of painful conversations replaying some of those games.

Some coaching experiences...and some business/work experiences...and some cases where contacts/relationships with some former players or coaches subsequently have led to contacts/relationships with other former players.

I had not even thought much of it until I was listing those games that I had all of them covered! And, as I had mentioned, that is not a good thing entirely...as there have been a lot of painful conversations replaying some of those games.
Did the member of the 1988 team ever get over it? Not sure I would have.

Fair point(s)...although I was pretty sure that Purdue could/would not lose to Wisconsin yet again that year, especially after just having done so two weeks before in Chicago in the BTT.

Like you, I was just sure that the '87 team was just going to get to the Final Four, if not win the entire thing...and I was certain (as you alluded to) that they would beat KSU again that year, only to see it all fall apart down the stretch in similar fashion to so many other subsequent tournament exits (including UALR a year ago).
The worst part about the Wisconsin lost was you kind of knew that was Genes last chance to get to the final four.

The worst part about the Wisconsin lost was you kind of knew that was Genes last chance to get to the final four.
Agree, and, it was Cardinal's last go as well...and I was a huge fan of Carsen Cunningham going back to when I first saw him before his sophomore year of High School and remain one today (and corresponded with him after he brought his team to Mackey last year).

Did the member of the 1988 team ever get over it? Not sure I would have.
I obviously can't answer that for him or them...but, anybody that I know or have met from that team certainly moved on and did quite well for themselves.

I would suggest that things like that bother those guys...but, at the same time, they have so many games in their lives that were ultimate highs or ultimate lows that while it is definitely not "just another game", that in the grand scheme of things they deal with it far better than others do.

Bump for March.

Felt a nice cool rush of Boikerepherine this past UM game. Don't want anymore this season.

To be fair though, that game wasn't a collapse. It was a back-and-forth game the entire game. Purdue was just not clutch or up to their standard at the FT line.

Funny story. Funny, yet sad. I wish it wasn't so. If it hurts us, think about the seniors. One more made shot in regulation. One fewer turnover. *sigh* Thank-you Ray, AJ, and Johnny. This was a remarkable team; you were all a big part of it.

To the players (& coaches) who will return, let's learn finally from this experience. We simply must learn to play with character all the way until the very end. Or these endings will continue to be disappointingly premature.

But is there a cure or treatment available? Are they doing studies on it? Therapy or medication just doesn't seem to be working for me. I walk around like a zombie, lost in this curse, this trance. I wake up screaming, Haas didn't travel. Haas didn't commit an offensive foul. It's the same haunting dream every night. I'm calling out for help. What can I do?

But is there a cure or treatment available? Are they doing studies on it? Therapy or medication just doesn't seem to be working for me. I walk around like a zombie, lost in this curse, this trance. I wake up screaming, Haas didn't travel. Haas didn't commit an offensive foul. It's the same haunting dream every night. I'm calling out for help. What can I do?
drink heavily

Worth bumping and noting that this team once again broke through and overcame "the formula". This team is special. I don't think their season ends tonight.

I definitely have a Boilerepherine condition. I've learned to live with it though. I understand that most "big" games (football and hoops) will follow a simple Purdue formula:

1. Purdue will start on fire and get out to an early, often large lead -OR-
1a. Purdue will start slow, find themselves with an early, often large deficit.

2. The opponent comes to life, fights back and ties the game/takes the lead -OR-
2a. Purdue comes to life, fights back all the way back to tie or take the lead.

3. Purdue fights back, hangs in, possibly even taking a late lead with a sure victory in sight -OR-
3a. The game tightens to a back-and-forth, opponent has lead, but Purdue still has an opportunity to win.

4. Something goes terribly wrong, resulting in crushing defeat. -OR-
4a. Something goes terribly wrong, resulting in crushing defeat.

Now, this formula got broken earlier this year against ND in the Crossroads. It makes me believe that this team has the ability to help cure my Boilerepherine condition. However, not sure how much more my heart can take!

Boilerepherine.
That Kansas State game I will never forget. Me and 2 other Boiler die hards were in a sports bar in Hermosa Beach, CA (PJ Bretts after one of the Brett baseball brothers). There were a few K State fans there and we really let them have it in the 1st half with our extremely loud cheering and drinking. Well when we collapsed in the 2nd half, those K State fans went berserk and we were practically in tears. I'll never forget wanting to practically kill those K State fans that were getting back at us. I guess we deserved it. That was supposed to be our big year with our Big 3 (Stephens, Mitchell, and the awesome Troy Lewis). Great post above...

Reactions: Cleanface
I am a Bills fan!!! Both my parents born in and grew up in Buffalo, grandfather had season tix for 25 years. Most of my relatives still live there.

I eventually transitioned to the Colts when they moved to Indy when I was a kid, but Buffalo Bills born and raised.

Anyway...good *bump*. I'm laying out some BE lines now...Snoooort...o_O

Boiler-eff-er-een (noun)

I have determined that I, and possibly many of us, have a brain chemical which has been developed over my many years (around 28 to be exact) of being a fan of Purdue University athletics. I believe this chemical was first initiated in my brain after the crushing loss to Kansas State in the 1988 NCAA Tourney. I was 10, and I cried in our laundry room. Since that time my experiences have lead me to one conclusion; my brain produces a chemical called Boilerepherine - a direct result of my Purdue fandom.

Let me describe my experience during the game today (Ark-Little Rock, 2016 NCAA First Round);

When the final 5 minutes began to unfold I recall a gentle calm coming over me. I was no longer flailing and shouting and foaming at the mouth per usual. I watched and I hoped, yet I remained at ease and unaffected by the sh*tstorm that was brewing before my eyes. As we collapsed into a tie, blowing our 14 pt lead, I received and responded to texts from my friends with a happy banter simply saying thing like "I hope we can grind them in OT", and "typical Purdue, glad we go 10 deep!" and things of this nature. Not cursing their existence and degrading their mothers, which would be a very typical response from many "fans" in a similar situation. No, I was caaalm...like a sailor knee-deep in a Philippine opium den.

Boilerepherine.
I am now entering the middle stages of Boilerephrine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT