ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten FB Power Poll

CMBoiler

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
May 9, 2019
Tom’s Power Poll (https://purdue.rivals.com/news/big-ten-power-poll-final-ranking-of-2021-season-rosy-for-some) seems to me largely based on just final records, which is fine. But to me, how do the teams stack up now (not factoring in opt outs or any of that) after the full season? How would you rank the Big Ten to end the season? For me:

1) Michigan - made the playoff, beat Ohio State. Big and strong.

2) Ohio State - would be number 1 without the loss to Michigan. Speed, speed and more speed no other team in the conference has.

<large gap>

3) Wisconsin - The 8-1 finish was impressive. The defense really carried them. Their win over Purdue, with how well Purdue’s offense played in the stretch around that game, is impressive. I’d favor them over MSU.

4) Purdue - call me a homer if you must, but the Boilers won 5 of the last 6 and were offensively very competent in the lone loss (at Ohio State). The win over MSU matters. The win over Iowa matters. The Tennessee win matters. The offense was really clicking, even despite the season-long inability to find the end zone from the red zone. (11 made field goals of less than 30 yards, several others in red zone). The “bad” losses were to Minnesota and Wisconsin, who both won bowl games. Ohio State won the Rose Bowl and Notre Dame choked away a 3 touchdown lead on a good Oklahoma State team.

5) Michigan State - benefited all season from scheduling and breaks. Slopped out an OT win over Nebraska, needed a pick 6 for a 5 point win at Indiana. Had to come back vs a 3rd string QB making his first appearance to win the bowl game. Dominated by Purdue and ranked last in the country in pass defense. Bad wins doesn’t make a team good. Though credit them for finding a way vs Michigan.

6) Minnesota - won a lot of games after the bizarre loss to Bowling Green. Never looked great, benefitted from the downpour in West Lafayette, but won games.

7) Iowa - the offense was as bad as almost anyone in the league (except IU and Northwestern, maybe Rutgers). The defense lacked speed at almost any position as evident by the blowout loss to Michigan and the loss to a mediocre Kentucky team.

8) Penn State - Is there a more overrated coach than James Franklin? Hang your hat on the win late over Auburn, who ended up being a pretty bad football team. Lost 6 of 8 down the stretch with wins over Rutgers and Maryland.

9) Maryland - some talent on both sides of the ball, but just not enough size. Very mediocre to below average group.

10) Illinois - Offense was a struggle. Defense was okay. Just nothing spectacular about the squad that lost to Rutgers and Maryland.

11) Nebraska - they were like 10 points shy of being undefeated. That’s an exaggeration but not much of one. They can play with anyone, but always find the perfect time to botch a special teams play, get a 15 yard penalty, and turn it over to lose late.

12) Rutgers - it’s hard to finish 5-8 in college football.

13) Northwestern - they’re good like every other year, right? This was not that year.

14) Indiana - those who stay will be champions you please turn the lights out?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News