ADVERTISEMENT

Better NBA career, Zach of Clingan?

Who will have a better NBA career, Zach, or Clingan from UConn?

• Total voters

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
I've found it interesting to listen to some of the pre-draft analysis of Zach and Clingan. First the story was that Clingan was the better athlete, then that he was a more polished offensive player, now it seems to be that he has a better understanding of the game and more upside as a younger player. I'm completely biased, but other than some level of proven outside shooting for Clingan, I just don't see it. I'm probably missing it as I certainly don't know better than the NBA guys, but I'd be interested to hear from the board why you think Clingan is the better pick.

Last edited:
I've found it interesting to listen to some of the pre-draft analysis of Zach and Clingan. First the story was that Clingan was the better athlete, then that he was a more polished offensive player, now it seems to be that he has a better understanding of the game and more upside as a younger player. I'm completely biased, but other than some level of proven outside shooting for Clingan, I just don't see it. I'm probably missing it as I certainly don't know than the NBA guys, but I'd be interested to hear from the board why you think Clingan is the better pick.
Tbh, I think just from the “eye test”, it looks like Clingan should be better for the NBA. He seems quicker and somewhat better equipped to guard smaller players. However, he couldn’t stop Zach and yeah Zach scored when “they let him” but in the first half Clingan was absolutely gassed by Zach. To me, Clingan isn’t anything special for a big man in the nba. He doesn’t have any great posts moves (hasn’t had to rely on them) and he can’t shoot that well from outside (2-9 in his career at UConn and a career 55% FT shooter). His conditioning was on par with dudes his size (nowhere near where Zach is at). He’s also benefiting “from a really weak draft class” by being thought of as a top 5 pick. Like what is he going to do for a team? I don’t think he turns them into a contender or dominates any more than Zach would contribute. And I don’t think he provides an advantage against guys that are his size and not sure he can guard them 1v1. He’s also been playing longer than Zach.

If Zach can go to the right situation or find a team willing to develop him/allow him to grow and not expect him to contribute right away (although he will no matter what IMO), then I think he will have a longer career. If he goes to like the hornets or hawks, then that’d be a really bad fit. Zach has shown over the course of his 7 years of playing ball, that he can consume a ton at a rapid pace and get exponentially better. And him not understanding the game better is wild. Clingan is only two years younger…so it’s weird that he has more upside as a younger player. I guess I’m biased too, but I think Zach has a more impactful career.

Sorry for the word vomit 😂

I think the perception came from the style of play of the teams they were on. Clingan played in an open system and a more motion style offense. It didn’t appear that limits were in place on his time on the court. I believe his decision making might have been a bit quicker giving the illusion that he was quicker and more athletic. He doesn’t have any better outside skill than Zach . His foul shooting is poor. And his conditioning and strength is nowhere near that of Zach's.

Edey functioned in his role which had limitations and guardrails in place. He excelled at doing what was expected from him. He didn’t need to make use of a mid range or 3 point shot. His measurables at the combine were pretty much better across the board. He showed if needed he could step up and get a solid shot attempt off. I think Zach’s ability to improve along with his ultra competitiveness, drive and work ethic are the difference makers. JMO

They'll both have nice NBA careers. Who knows which will be better. A lot depends on what team they end up on. Too bad the Pacers already traded their first rounder. I think Zach would fit nicely there. He would be a good backup and changeup for Turner.

I can’t think of a single thing Clingan is better at besides being smaller so maybe appearing a bit more “nimble” for his size.

Didn’t Zach beat him in almost every measurable at the combine? And that’s not taking into account that Zach mopped the floor with him in game head to head as well.

If you still think Clingan is a lottery pick after his combine showing…why wouldn’t you take. Zach instead?

I can’t think of a single thing Clingan is better at besides being smaller so maybe appearing a bit more “nimble” for his size.

Didn’t Zach beat him in almost every measurable at the combine? And that’s not taking into account that Zach mopped the floor with him in game head to head as well.

If you still think Clingan is a lottery pick after his combine showing…why wouldn’t you take. Zach instead?
Yes he did and shot better than him too. Both are top at their position in this class…maybe Zach will be a steal and clingan more of a “flop” in only the sense he can’t bring the value that he will get drafted at. He will still be good IMO, but not sure he’s going to give whatever team drafts him, the production a top 5 pick should.

Yes he did and shot better than him too. Both are top at their position in this class…maybe Zach will be a steal and clingan more of a “flop” in only the sense he can’t bring the value that he will get drafted at. He will still be good IMO, but not sure he’s going to give whatever team drafts him, the production a top 5 pick should.
I think that's the thing with this year's draft, I'm not sure there are many picks where you're likely to get the type of top five / top ten production that you'd get in a normal draft.

The NBA front office guys are no dummies, I'm sure I'm missing something, but agree with most here that I struggle to understand how Clingan is projected in the #1 to #8 range while Zach is projected in the low teens to mid 20's. I think you're right that body type and UConn's style of play influence Clingan's perception with the media, but I would expect the people making the actual draft decisions to see beyond that.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I think that's the thing with this year's draft, I'm not sure there are many picks where you're likely to get the type of top five / top ten production that you'd get in a normal draft.

The NBA front office guys are no dummies, I'm sure I'm missing something, but agree with most here that I struggle to understand how Clingan is projected in the #1 to #8 range while Zach is projected in the low teens to mid 20's. I think you're right that body type and UConn's style of play influence Clingan's perception with the media, but I would expect the people making the actual draft decisions to see beyond that.
For sure. We will find out at the end of the month!

I've found it interesting to listen to some of the pre-draft analysis of Zach and Clingan. First the story was that Clingan was the better athlete, then that he was a more polished offensive player, now it seems to be that he has a better understanding of the game and more upside as a younger player. I'm completely biased, but other than some level of proven outside shooting for Clingan, I just don't see it. I'm probably missing it as I certainly don't know better than the NBA guys, but I'd be interested to hear from the board why you think Clingan is the better pick.
I've heard this. He's what, 2 years younger than Zack? And he probably has 15 years more experience playing the game. I say that speaks more highly for Zack's upside, based on his trajectory.

I want to find out more tomorrow though!
president speech GIF by South Park

Send impossible to tell. Really depends what chance Edey gets. Think Clingan will get the chance to have a Gobert/Kessler role. I think Edey is better but a lot of it deals with opportunities and system.

Reactions: boilerzz
As with most non sure fire players, it will depend on where they land.

I think people do not understand how athletic Zach is for this size. Too many preconceived notions that he is slow. I think the combine helped with that some.

As Lively has shown with Dallas, there is a need for rebounders and rim protectors. If both players get in the right system, they will both have successful NBA careers.

Edey. He has improved every single year. He has only been playing ball for like 7 or 8 years. So he is still learning which is crazy. He hasn't had any injuries either. The injuries alone might be what keeps him in the league longer. He has proven everyone wrong that doubts him every single year. Next year isn't going to be any different. He is one of a kind.

Edey. He has improved every single year. He has only been playing ball for like 7 or 8 years. So he is still learning which is crazy. He hasn't had any injuries either. The injuries alone might be what keeps him in the league longer. He has proven everyone wrong that doubts him every single year. Next year isn't going to be any different. He is one of a kind.

Zach's strength helps with preventing those injuries.

I liken Clingan to Christian Laetner. How successful was he in the nba?
Do you know who Laettner is or did you just pick a random white, tall guy?

Laettner is one of the best college basketball players ever. Clingan is not on that level.

Laettner averaged 17 and 8 throughout his career and shot the 3 ball more, did it more efficiently, played 30 min a game from soph year on and was the best college bball player in the country for his last two years.

Laettner also had a 13 year NBA career, was an all star 1 year, avg 13 and 7 and avg double figures for 10 of those seasons. Played on team USA. I think that’s a pretty solid career.

Clingan avg 10 and 6 and played 13 min and 23 min and was not a top 10 college player in his two years. If clingan can come anywhere close to laettners 13 year career, it would be a huge success.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Laetner played on the Olympic team for one and only one reason. The U.S. Olympic team had an agreement with the NCAA at that time that at least one of their players would be from the ncaa and not the nba. Laetner played very few minutes and provided nothing to the success of that Olympic team other than smiling for their promo photos.

Rather than comparing their style, I’m comparing their hype. They both had a lot of hype in college. They both played for national championship teams. They both were tall and white. They both could shoot from outside. That seems to me they have a lot in common.

And I’ll ask again, how successful was Laetner in the NBA? Odd, I haven’t seen his name come up in hall of fame mentions.

Laetner had a nice career. He was a one time all star. Was he anything special? That’s the type of nba career I predict for Cligman. His career in the NBA will probably be as great as every other Duke and UCONN. Center. It’s odd, I can’t remember who was the greatest UCONN or Duke center in the NBA? zGMINSKI? Laetner? The guy playing for the Penguins?

Call me crazy. I just don’t see clingman having a great nba career! I just see him as a very over hyped college center just like Laetner was.

I believe Edey will have a better career.

• Wow
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Is it Laettner's fault that he was the token college player on the Dream Team? No.

Did Laettner have a good to very good NBA career? Yes.

Is anyone in the world comparing Clingan to Laettner besides Wolegab? No.

Does anyone have any idea what the Penguins have to do with this? No.

Does Wolegab know how to spell? No.

Do I know why I've blocked Wolegab? Yes.

Laetner played on the Olympic team for one and only one reason. The U.S. Olympic team had an agreement with the NCAA at that time that at least one of their players would be from the ncaa and not the nba. Laetner played very few minutes and provided nothing to the success of that Olympic team other than smiling for their promo photos.

Rather than comparing their style, I’m comparing their hype. They both had a lot of hype in college. They both played for national championship teams. They both were tall and white. They both could shoot from outside. That seems to me they have a lot in common.

And I’ll ask again, how successful was Laetner in the NBA? Odd, I haven’t seen his name come up in hall of fame mentions.

Laetner had a nice career. He was a one time all star. Was he anything special? That’s the type of nba career I predict for Cligman. His career in the NBA will probably be as great as every other Duke and UCONN. Center. It’s odd, I can’t remember who was the greatest UCONN or Duke center in the NBA? zGMINSKI? Laetner? The guy playing for the Penguins?

Call me crazy. I just don’t see clingman having a great nba career! I just see him as a very over hyped college center just like Laetner was.

I believe Edey will have a better career.
Even tho Laetner wasn’t a center, Do you not know who Elton Brand or Emeka Okafor are? Or Andre Drummond?

Laetner did not have a HOF career but you’re moving the goal posts once again. You asked how was his career? And it was a good one. 10 out of 13 years he avg double figures. Not bad at all.

Clingan is not an outside shooter, he took 9 total 3Ps. And he has nowhere near the hype Laetner did. Hell, Hasheem Thabeet had more hype than Clingan has had.

Reactions: northside100
Is it Laettner's fault that he was the token college player on the Dream Team? No.

Did Laettner have a good to very good NBA career? Yes.

Is anyone in the world comparing Clingan to Laettner besides Wolegab? No.

Does anyone have any idea what the Penguins have to do with this? No.

Does Wolegab know how to spell? No.

Do I know why I've blocked Wolegab? Yes.
Chi boiler doesn’t know how to spell either! My name is not Wolegab. Maybe I should start calling you chi chi’s and yes I know what that word actually means!

You are funny! You say you block me but you take the time to respond to my posts! You must be some great lurker! You can’t stand me but you must read my posts so you can respond to them and call me names! What a class act. Go back to your chi chi’s!

I pointed out Lartner’s Olympic accomplishments because many other college players were Olympic stars and Laetner, despite his college hype was a total non factor on his Olympic team. Is that his fault? Yes it was his fault. If he was better, he would have played more rather than just occupying a roster spot they were obligated to give to a college player!

I’ll stick to my assessment. Clingman’s nba career will be no better than Laetner’s nba career.

That’s my opinion! You can agree with it or not. But you don’t have to resort to name calling just because you don’t agree with my opinions. But then again, why change your behavior now? Nobody will ban you for harassing me!

Chi boiler doesn’t know how to spell either! My name is not Wolegab. Maybe I should start calling you chi chi’s and yes I know what that word actually means!

You are funny! You say you block me but you take the time to respond to my posts! You must be some great lurker! You can’t stand me but you must read my posts so you can respond to them and call me names! What a class act. Go back to your chi chi’s!
I think the joke was that he spelled your name on purpose and then he probably blocked you after he posted that…but maybe not

Even tho Laetner wasn’t a center, Do you not know who Elton Brand or Emeka Okafor are? Or Andre Drummond?

Laetner did not have a HOF career but you’re moving the goal posts once again. You asked how was his career? And it was a good one. 10 out of 13 years he avg double figures. Not bad at all.

Clingan is not an outside shooter, he took 9 total 3Ps. And he has nowhere near the hype Laetner did. Hell, Hasheem Thabeet had more hype than Clingan has had.
This basketball not football! There are no goal posts in basketball! I’m not changing the goal posts. I’m clarifying my opinion. My opinion hasn’t changed.

Laetner entered the nba with a lot of hype. Was his career anything special? Was it better than Brad miller or cardinal’s careers? Maybe, but not by much. You think he had a good career? I don’t. brand had a good nba career. But was he really a center in the nba? Okafur and Thabeet? Didn’t they play for UCONN? Don’t those names kind of support my opinion? UCONN centers don’t seem to be very successful in the nba, do they? Who were the top 5 UConn centers in the nba.

I’ll stick to my initial opinion clingman may be drafted higher than Edey, but I don’t believe his nba career will amount to much. I’d say he would be lucky if it was as good as Laetner.

Are you really going to argue with that assessment? Do you really believe Clingman is going to be a successful NbA player? Call me unimpressed! No matter how high he is drafted or ranked.

I pointed out Lartner’s Olympic accomplishments because many other college players were Olympic stars and Laetner, despite his college hype was a total non factor on his Olympic team. Is that his fault? Yes it was his fault. If he was better, he would have played more rather than just occupying a roster spot they were obligated to give to a college player!

I’ll stick to my assessment. Clingman’s nba career will be no better than Laetner’s nba career.

That’s my opinion! You can agree with it or not. But you don’t have to resort to name calling just because you don’t agree with my opinions. But then again, why change your behavior now? Nobody will ban you for harassing me!
No, we were asking why you are comparing one of the best college basketball players ever to Clingan…who is good, but still raw and completely different players/play style. That’s all.

I think the joke was that he spelled your name on purpose and then he probably blocked you after he posted that…but maybe not
Ch chi has blocked me over 1,000+ times! And then brags about it and then cuts me down. Its his M O. And style for the last decade. He’s not going to change anytime soon. Even if he agrees with my overall point, he’ll find some small thing to disagree with just to belittle me. Don’t you chi chi ?

This basketball not football! There are no goal posts in basketball! I’m not changing the goal posts. I’m clarifying my opinion. My opinion hasn’t changed.

Laetner entered the nba with a lot of hype. Was his career anything special? Was it better than Brad miller or cardinal’s careers? Maybe, but not by much. You think he had a good career? I don’t. brand had a good nba career. But was he really a center in the nba? Okafur and Thabeet? Didn’t they play for UCONN? Don’t those names kind of support my opinion? UCONN centers don’t seem to be very successful in the nba, do they? Who were the top 5 UConn centers in the nba.

I’ll stick to my initial opinion clingman may be drafted higher than Edey, but I don’t believe his nba career will amount to much. I’d say he would be lucky if it was as good as Laetner.

Are you really going to argue with that assessment? Do you really believe Clingman is going to be a successful NbA player? Call me unimpressed! No matter how high he is drafted or ranked.
lol oh Wole… where do your questions come about? I never once said Clingan will have a better career than Edey.

Okafor was pretty good and I also used Thabeet as having more hype than Clingan. He was a dud. Never said he was good for the nba.

And yea. I’d say brand was a good center for the nba.

And “moving the goal posts” is an expression 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
You're going to criticize LAETTNER for not contributing on the 1992 DREAM TEAM???? You can't possibly compare that to "other college players." Jordan, Magic, Bird, Barkley, Ewing, Pippen, etc. How was he going to get quality minutes on that roster?

And yes, I've blocked you but it is possible to still open up posts by people you have blocked. Every now and then I get a kick out of how idiotic you sound. And some things are just so factually wrong that they demand a response.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT