ADVERTISEMENT

Best lineup

Yeah if Loyer is disappearing and Heide is rising hard not to love that line up. Heide can actually play some defense too. I doubt Painter plays that line up much because he loves Loyer but right now those 5 guys are the best two-way players Purdue has on their team with a shoutout to TKR as the sixth best.

Yeah if Loyer is disappearing and Heide is rising hard not to love that line up. Heide can actually play some defense too. I doubt Painter plays that line up much because he loves Loyer but right now those 5 guys are the best two-way players Purdue has on their team with a shoutout to TKR as the sixth best.
Not saying he’ll start, but Heide earned some real minutes tonight!

The great thing about having a top team is these are the decisions that have to be made but we have great talent on the bench in Gillis, Heide and even possibly Colvin.
And Morton ... he plays a critical role even if it doesn't show in the stats. As does Furst.

Reactions: SKYDOG
And Morton ... he plays a critical role even if it doesn't show in the stats. As does Furst.
I would have hoped those two former Mr. Basketballs would have showed more than they have as upper class men.

Loyer had a rough streak last night - badly missed 3 from the top then a lazy foul after. Just seems mentally tired. Perhaps him not contributing isn’t a bad thing.

I wish I could find a site to show +/- lineup combos but Smith, Jones, Cam, Mason and Zach has to be up there. Fun to watch.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I would have hoped those two former Mr. Basketballs would have showed more than they have as upper class men.
Furst has been playing behind Zach he last two years and doesn’t get very many mins. With that said…he has looked more aggressive and more confident these past few games which is very encouraging. If he can keep that up and get more confident into the tourney, that will help out immensely.

Heide
More height/strength ✔️
More athleticism ✔️
Overall better defense ✔️
Better shooting right now ✔️

Loyer
Better passer

I think it's time to make Loyer earn back minutes from Heide
Loyers at 26 min a game right now. Drop that closer to 20 and up Cams to 15-20. Morton is at 13..drop it to 10 and give the remaining mins to Myles in 2-3 min spurts to close the year out.

Loyer had a rough streak last night - badly missed 3 from the top then a lazy foul after. Just seems mentally tired. Perhaps him not contributing isn’t a bad thing.

I wish I could find a site to show +/- lineup combos but Smith, Jones, Cam, Mason and Zach has to be up there. Fun to watch.
Yeah I’m guessing it’d be a good one too but there’s prob not enough data out there yet.

On EvanMiya..com, 2 of the top 3 lineups are:

Smith, jones, Loyer, gillis, Edey and Smith, Jones, Loyer, TKR and Edey

Lots of data on those two but I’m guessing those lineups are really driven by smith, edey and jones (as one could imagine)

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I just love Smith, Jones, Heide, Gillis and Edey
I'm not sure why more folks aren't suggesting we just flip Morton and Heide's role. Play Heide 15 minutes, Morton seven or eight. Its' a subtle change that Painter played around with early in the year and then defaulted back to Morton.

All the talk of benching Loyer is just probably hyperbole at this point the Cam/Morton switch could very well happen.

Reactions: The Boiler Special
Furst playing behind Edey getting 7-8 minutes a night is difficult, next year he’s likely getting the first shot at the Center, hopefully, he runs with it! Morton can’t shoot, he played in a lower class in Penn, his offense in high school didn’t make the jump to the top college level. Maybe he plays a extra year somewhere, would love to see him play and shine at a lower level, maybe a Loyola type school.

Giving up on Loyer so quick isn't it. I get why people loved that lineup as Heide brings that athleticism we as a fan base have been salivating for. however, watch Loyer jump out of his funk in the next one against Michigan... I really feel like Heide just took a bunch of pressure off Loyer and you will see him back to form soon... IF that's the case Loyer remains the starter BUT Heide continues to demand minutes too... I said in another post IF we can get around 10-12 point in a couple of the remaining games from him watch-out March...

I'm not sure why more folks aren't suggesting we just flip Morton and Heide's role. Play Heide 15 minutes, Morton seven or eight. Its' a subtle change that Painter played around with early in the year and then defaulted back to Morton.

All the talk of benching Loyer is just probably hyperbole at this point the Cam/Morton switch could very well happen.
I agree with this 100%

They both bring different variables in the lineup. Morton is a more seasoned defender and knows how to be physical without picking up fouls. Cam showed he is getting there last night but he also brings offensive firepower. That will be needed more in March.

Heide deserves more minutes. Loyer played ok 5 assists, some were quite nice passes, Mystified why Colvin was played only after the game was +30. Is Paint sending a message to him?

They both bring different variables in the lineup. Morton is a more seasoned defender and knows how to be physical without picking up fouls. Cam showed he is getting there last night but he also brings offensive firepower. That will be needed more in March.
Add to Cam his athletic ability as well... Something Loyer doesn't have but Loyer has the experience and can be explosive offensively... Loyer is far far from a lost cause. I get hes struggled and so has the team but those struggles imo don't fall on Loyer alone like a lot of folks want it to be... If i was a betting man watch Loyer have a double digit game on good %'s against Michigan in the next one...

Heide deserves more minutes. Loyer played ok 5 assists, some were quite nice passes, Mystified why Colvin was played only after the game was +30. Is Paint sending a message to him?
I agree once the game got to 15 points Colvin could have played but who knows. Colvin hasn't improved at all defensively that's all I know and it most likely is why...

Furst playing behind Edey getting 7-8 minutes a night is difficult, next year he’s likely getting the first shot at the Center, hopefully, he runs with it! Morton can’t shoot, he played in a lower class in Penn, his offense in high school didn’t make the jump to the top college level. Maybe he plays an extra year somewhere, would love to see him play and shine at a lower level, maybe a Loyola type school.
Just would have thought Morton would be able to score something after being in the program this long.

I agree once the game got to 15 points Colvin could have played but who knows. Colvin hasn't improved at all defensively that's all I know and it most likely is why...
People keep saying Calvin’s defense is a liability. I just don’t see anything Loyer brings to the team defensively.

People keep saying Calvin’s defense is a liability. I just don’t see anything Loyer brings to the team defensively.
for one Loyer better positions himself for rebounds. He also doesn't get totally lost from his man. Colvins biggest deficiency is he simply loses his guy and it creates a ton of downhill plays from the opposing team. Guys cut to the basket and it creates easy layup/dunks... Loyer isn't a stellar defender but he knows where to be and doesn't completely lose his man creating so many downhill type plays... 1v1 Loyer gets beat, sure. So does Colvin. Those other 2 issues are much bigger and create many more problems.... It is something that can easily get Edey in foul trouble...

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerAndy
Painter is gonna start the same 5 all year. I like how TKR has been playing lately. That being said give Loyer a shorter leash - he’s still capable of some big scoring nights. The luxury of Heide is his defense is progressing and he gives us some size at the 3. Gills gives us another 3 point shooter when we want to stretch the floor so if teams don’t double Edey we have 3 point shooters at every position. Make other teams pick their posion!

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT