ADVERTISEMENT

Best 3 Point Shooter on the team?

PU52Chevy

All-American
Jul 18, 2006
Ok things are slow so figured this will be fun until some troll takes it over.....

Name your top 3:
1) Sasha
2) Wheeler
3) Thompson
Bonus guess Newman or Hunter or Proctor

Ok have fun what do you all think!

Ok things are slow so figured this will be fun until some troll takes it over.....

Name your top 3:
1) Sasha
2) Wheeler
3) Thompson

Pure shooter....Sasha at this point.

If Wheeler can improve his 3pt shooting percentage just 5 points this year and gets 25-30 minutes again....add his skillset on top of that and he'll go from little used RS-FR to a big impact player on the conference and national level.

Id love Hunter to take a step forward % wise and shoot more too. Newman seems to be a natural shooter and the same with Proctor. I think Proctor will get more shots because of the experience level.

Lots of room for improvement here. Im actually excited to see Tre Williams start shooting 3s. A lot of what I saw in HS footage of him suggested he has a pretty solid stroke.

Name your top 3:
1) Sasha
2) Wheeler
3) Thompson

Are we guessing based on percentages for next year?

Top Percentages:
Sasha
Wheeler
EB

Reactions: Boilermaker24
If Wheeler can improve his 3pt shooting percentage just 5 points this year and gets 25-30 minutes again....add his skillset on top of that and he'll go from little used RS-FR to a big impact player on the conference and national level.

Why would Wheelers percentage go up? I would imagine frontline D will key on him. CE & Cline not around as the focus of the D which took alot of pressure away from the others, including Wheeler.

Why would Wheelers percentage go up? I would imagine frontline D will key on him. CE & Cline not around as the focus of the D which took alot of pressure away from the others, including Wheeler.
Wheeler will still be shooting catch and shoot 3s. He won't be forcing 3s up. With that said, I would expect his percentage to be about the same as it was this year.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
In terms of percentages (more than 50 att):
1. Sasha
2. Proctor
3. Wheeler

In terms of number of makes:
1. Wheeler
2. Proctor
3. Sasha

Reactions: Roeder
I will go with Nojel @ 44%+ on a decent volume.

Looking @ his FT improvement last year.........he just might do the same with his 3 pointers this year. Big enough to shoot over most guards and they will have to give him space due to his driving. This is the ideal scenario for next year making Purdue very dangerous.

Just in a shooting contest in the gym but not a game I would say
1 IT
2 Sasha
3 Wheeler
4 Newman

The beauty of this thread is you name 6 guys who we believe can shoot from the outside. Additionally, EB can shoot and I am sure he is working on his game. Tre and Haarms can also shoot and I think they will step out and shoot a couple of outside shots per game, but probably not 3s. But since the 3 point line is moving back I believe Sasha, Wheeler and Hunter are the best to shoot from beyond the new arc. The rest can shoot but not necessary for them to shoot from behind the 3 point line.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

Name your top 3:
1) Sasha
2) Wheeler
3) Thompson

Eric. Hunter. Jr.

Just a hunch he is more relaxed and breaks out as a soph with increased minutes and confidence from playing (and belonging) some big minutes in NCAA tourney on a team inches from a final 4.

I will pick an outside player, Proctor will lead the team in 3-point shots, and 3-pt shots made. Why not? He will have the green light to shoot like Carsen, and he is a decent shooter. I figure he will start at the 2-spot and made opponents regret that he decided to become a Boilermaker for his last year playing.

I will pick an outside player, Proctor will lead the team in 3-point shots, and 3-pt shots made. Why not? He will have the green light to shoot like Carsen, and he is a decent shooter. I figure he will start at the 2-spot and made opponents regret that he decided to become a Boilermaker for his last year playing.
Yep - Proctor ... Mic Drop!!!

I will go with Nojel @ 44%+ on a decent volume.

Looking @ his FT improvement last year.........he just might do the same with his 3 pointers this year. Big enough to shoot over most guards and they will have to give him space due to his driving. This is the ideal scenario for next year making Purdue very dangerous.

Wait wait wait.....in the same thread that you criticize me for saying that I WANT to see a 5% increase in Wheelers shooting percentage (to 41% which is VERY doable)....from a guy who has shown he is already capable from shooting outside....you then say that you expect a kid who has shown to be a poor outside shooter and shoots 23% to now take volumes of shots and go to 44%?

You gotta be friggin kidding me....

I like Eastern. It's clear he's getting better. I think Wheeler will be the best player on the team next year by a LONGSHOT and that's backed up by decent production in limited minutes. I think Nojel is a great player but to expect elite shooting percentages next year at a volume clip? Please....

Wait wait wait.....in the same thread that you criticize me for saying that I WANT to see a 5% increase in Wheelers shooting percentage (to 41% which is VERY doable)....from a guy who has shown he is already capable from shooting outside....you then say that you expect a kid who has shown to be a poor outside shooter and shoots 23% to now take volumes of shots and go to 44%?

I like Eastern. It's clear he's getting better. I think Wheeler will be the best player on the team next year by a LONGSHOT and that's backed up by decent production in limited minutes. I think Nojel is a great player but to expect elite shooting percentages next year at a volume clip? Please....
Man don’t be so cruel with ur opinion LOL. As long as Nojel take shots that are giving to him I’ll be ok with that how many he makes who knows as long as he keeps defenses confused and on there toes. Aaron can shoot that thang so can Sasha who I believe are our 2 best shooters. Purdue got shooters that is all that matters and Nojel gonna find them on the court to get them shots which will open up the lane lines for those who can get to the basket take those opportunities as well. Purdue got the pieces to be a very dangerous team season can’t get here quick enough

I’m with you Mom Treed, I cannot wait either. Great response. Knock them down Nojel!!!

Man don’t be so cruel with ur opinion LOL. As long as Nojel take shots that are giving to him I’ll be ok with that how many he makes who knows as long as he keeps defenses confused and on there toes. Aaron can shoot that thang so can Sasha who I believe are our 2 best shooters. Purdue got shooters that is all that matters and Nojel gonna find them on the court to get them shots which will open up the lane lines for those who can get to the basket take those opportunities as well. Purdue got the pieces to be a very dangerous team season can’t get here quick enough

They're not listening, they're not listening still. Perhaps they never will.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Treed....don't want you to take offense to what I said above. It wasn't meant that way....towards you. I think you'd potentially find it ridiculous too to undersell Wheeler as a shooter (that kid is good) and then oversell your son as a shooter (with what we have seen thus far in his playing career). I am hopeful that Nojel takes steps forward shooting the ball in game action. It's what will propel him from a 10ppg guy to an 18ppg guy and make him dangerous as a player and us dangerous as a team. Again....that's my hopes.

At the end of the day though if I am looking at guys who have already proven themselves as shooters for us and are in line to grab a lot of playing time, Wheeler tops my list. That's all.

Again, I hope Nojel takes massive leaps forward....but if Wheeler stays at 36% this next year and is taking more shots we will not be better. I think he will be a big focal point of the offense.

Lol

I like to separate shooters into 2 categories, catch and shoot, and off the dribble. They are two very distinct skills and not every shooter possesses both.

Just a guess:
  • Catch and shoot: Sasha, Wheeler, Proctor
  • Off the dribble: Proctor, Thompson, Hunter

Treed....don't want you to take offense to what I said above. It wasn't meant that way....towards you. I think you'd potentially find it ridiculous too to undersell Wheeler as a shooter (that kid is good) and then oversell your son as a shooter (with what we have seen thus far in his playing career). I am hopeful that Nojel takes steps forward shooting the ball in game action. It's what will propel him from a 10ppg guy to an 18ppg guy and make him dangerous as a player and us dangerous as a team. Again....that's my hopes.

At the end of the day though if I am looking at guys who have already proven themselves as shooters for us and are in line to grab a lot of playing time, Wheeler tops my list. That's all.

Again, I hope Nojel takes massive leaps forward....but if Wheeler stays at 36% this next year and is taking more shots we will not be better. I think he will be a big focal point of the offense.
I didn’t take offense to it for real I get it until Nojel has proven he can shoot that thang than I understand ur logic. Aaron and Sasha gonna be knocking them shots down Nojel will find them to get them the ball in there shooting pocket. Got other shooters as well to keep teams Honest. Nojel shot is looking good finding his range his spots and most of all his confidence he put it all together he gonna bra nightmare to guard

Reactions: Schnelk
The new distance will change things, some shooters are more comfortable farther out and others might not be.

I didn’t take offense to it for real I get it until Nojel has proven he can shoot that thang than I understand ur logic. Aaron and Sasha gonna be knocking them shots down Nojel will find them to get them the ball in there shooting pocket. Got other shooters as well to keep teams Honest. Nojel shot is looking good finding his range his spots and most of all his confidence he put it all together he gonna bra nightmare to guard

Will be interesting to see how long teams choose to sag off of him out on the perimeter. If he starts taking them when he’s open and knocking them down, they’ll have to get closer and that will open up everything for this team.

I like to see him working at it! I think Proctors addition takes some pressure off him but it’s good that he’s looking to improve his shot and become a reliable jump shooter. Could be the difference in a 3-5 team in conference bs a team that can win it.

Someone's gotta say it...

Matt Haarms

The guy has a solid looking stroke to his shot, he doesn't take bad contested threes, and I believe that since he is so good at pick n rolls, that he'll force the D to collapse into the paint, leaving him for a wide open 3 on the pick and pop.

Plus, this is his golden ticket to the NBA. BIGS must be able to shoot the 3 in today's league if they cannot completely dominate the paint like Drummond, Jordan, etc.

The beauty of this thread is you name 6 guys who we believe can shoot from the outside. Additionally, EB can shoot and I am sure he is working on his game. Tre and Haarms can also shoot and I think they will step out and shoot a couple of outside shots per game, but probably not 3s. But since the 3 point line is moving back I believe Sasha, Wheeler and Hunter are the best to shoot from beyond the new arc. The rest can shoot but not necessary for them to shoot from behind the 3 point line.
Moving the 3-pt line will benefit Purdue vs. other teams, because of Purdue's style of play. 3-point shots will be harder to get, unless that's your specialty. And Painter has put a premium on getting guys who can hit those shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT