ADVERTISEMENT

Berg.....

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Slow day. Thought I'd bring him up for discussion since we don't seem to be hearing about him much.
I like what I saw in his limited minutes mop up duty. The guy isn't a stiff and can get up/down the floor. Showed a nice jumper and handles in training videos.
What's his role going to be?

Slow day. Thought I'd bring him up for discussion since we don't seem to be hearing about him much.
I like what I saw in his limited minutes mop up duty. The guy isn't a stiff and can get up/down the floor. Showed a nice jumper and handles in training videos.

While he could be great, I would need to see more defensively against top guys. When he was in the game the competition was not often top level.

He has opportunity, the best coaches for Bigs in the nation, and lots of practice vs NPOTY. So he just needs to put all that together and start to emerge. We will see??

He's an enigma. We've seen some shining moments to give us all hope but it wasn't against the best competition at the time.

What gives me some optimism is he went up against Zach for a long time and that is valuable experience. I have little doubt that ZE also helped "coach" him some as that is just how he was.

If he can bang, block and shoot 3s.. even in a small window.. that could be very beneficial.

I actually think all of these pieces will make us extremely hard to defend yet very dynamic and potent on offense. I don't expect a FF this season by any stretch, but I think we'll surprise people regardless.

Last edited:
I saw the same thing. He has good hands and good feet. Combine that with good coaching, and he could be a real weapon. Especially if he can play D.

Pressure is on him since he is battling with Furst, TKR and Jacobsen. I think he has shown glimpses of potential and wouldn’t be surprised if he is backup 5 day 1. He can be a compliment for PNR with Smith especially if he can hit 3s.

I do think the emergence of Jacobsen might dash any hope of minutes as the season progress. Jacobsen seems ready outside of adding muscle.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
I didn't think his foot speed was bad, i think the game was a little fast for him and he just needs to develop more instincts when he's on the floor. That just comes with experience and playing against Power 5 level players.
If he proves he can hit the occasional 3 or at least the 15-18 footer, I'd love to see Painter develop him into a high PnR guy with Smith.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I personally enjoy talking to him and his dad. I think he is working harder if that's possible since Zach isn't standing in his way. He and TKR workout together with Jordan and Courtney. The two of them are committed to make each other better. I know Zach believes in Will and constantly thanks him for making him better. IMO Painter isn't going to change everything because Zach is gone. I expect Will is the easy answer to replace Zach. Watched a Painter Interview in which he said if we want to go small TKR is a good option. He stuck with the Will/Daniel as the big option. Saying something to the effect we don't have to change much when Will is in there.

I didn't think his foot speed was bad, i think the game was a little fast for him and he just needs to develop more instincts when he's on the floor. That just comes with experience and playing against Power 5 level players.
If he proves he can hit the occasional 3 or at least the 15-18 footer, I'd love to see Painter develop him into a high PnR guy with Smith.

I saw 3s from you a 2 other posters above......I don't think hitting a 3 will be a factor in his floor time at all. Maybe a bonus. But for 5, understanding positioning, footwork and execution on D & O of what the coaches are telling him is his, and all our Bigs really ticket to desired PT.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldboiler52
I would give DJ the advantage over him right now for pt. Reason being is everything I read about the 18u games was what a tremendous rim protector that DJ is. We all know CMP is going to favor defense first (see MC this past season).

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I think unfortunately for him he has a very talented junior in front of him, a very talented frosh probably in front of him and a guy like Heide who will see some 4 time (if not start there) which limits the 4/5 minutes even more. Plus Furst who is a senior, knows the system and with Catchings gone definitely will see more time as well.

It's a tough spot to break out from.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think unfortunately for him he has a very talented junior in front of him, a very talented frosh probably in front of him and a guy like Heide who will see some 4 time (if not start there) which limits the 4/5 minutes even more. Plus Furst who is a senior, knows the system and with Catchings gone definitely will see more time as well.

Berg is honestly one I somewhat expected to transfer as there just doesn't seem to be a lot of minutes for him due to the reasons you mention here. And going forward even in to the following season it seems like it is more of the same for him.

Who knows... it would be great for him (and the team) if he did break out and surprise us all.

Maybe I missed it but Cam didn’t play the 4 at all last year so why are the expectations that he’s playing the 4 this year? Asking…also I agree not to sleep on Berg. Pretty sure he was a 4 before and came to Purdue to learn the 5 (pretty sure that was from Oldboiler..). I think he surprises a lot of people this year.

Reactions: pboiler18
Maybe I missed it but Cam didn’t play the 4 at all last year so why are the expectations that he’s playing the 4 this year? Asking…also I agree not to sleep on Berg. Pretty sure he was a 4 before and came to Purdue to learn the 5 (pretty sure that was from Oldboiler..). I think he surprises a lot of people this year.
It would surprise me if Cam is @ the 4.....but like you, I have read that.

I think it's a valid question but one that has so much speculation around it. We just haven't seen enough of him in live game action, even in mop-up situations, to really have any idea.

The speculation is actually 2-fold. One, is Berg going to be (insert level of good)? Two, does Purdue NEED Berg to be (insert level of good) to have a follow-up successful season?

Because TKR was playing the 4 most of the time.

IF you assume the following:

Painter wants to start Loyer and Smith no matter what and he wants to start or maximize time for Colvin and Heide then that almost assures that at least part of the time it's going to be Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Heide and a big.

Boiler Upload is predicting the same starting lineup I am: TKR, Heide, Colvin, Loyer, Smith.

There are few big back to the basket players anymore much less two on a team. Heide can play most of those games at the 4 and he presents big mismatches on offense.

If you absolutely need two "bigs" then one of Colvin, Heide, Loyer isn't starting.

Heide will play some four. Painter even specifically said he may either go big OR small depending on the matchups. That pretty much implies that lineup.

Paint had eluded to cam playing the 4 this year. So has Brian and Casey

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
My biggest concern is he didn't get one meaningful minute last season.

My biggest concern is he didn't get one meaningful minute last season.
That doesn’t actually surprise me. He was low man on the totem pole behind Edey, TKR, and Furst and painter pretty much limiting it to an 8 man rotation a good portion of the season. It seems at times Painter has said positive things about him. We’re likely to hear some commentary on him and maybe see him play starting June 24th - July 2nd coming from the Greece trip he and Heidi are going on.

Heck I remember watching Cornelius McNary shoot threes in the corec his RS frosh year thinking boy this guy is nailing them he's going to be great!
Lived down the hall from him freshman year. What a gentle, nice guy.
Probably not the top trait you want in your center, but still.

Lived down the hall from him freshman year. What a gentle, nice guy.
Probably not the top trait you want in your center, but still.
Seemed like a nice dude shooting around with him. I thought he was a future star. Perhaps it's a good thing I wasn't a talent evaluator for Keady.

Seemed like a nice dude shooting around with him. I thought he was a future star. Perhaps it's a good thing I wasn't a talent evaluator for Keady.
Every year they talked about how good he was going to be.

In every sport there are guys who are beasts in practice, but put them in a game in front of a crowd and they shut down. I would hope that sports psychology has come far to address this.

Unfortunately, it seems like Furst has regressed. Might be a function of playing time in games and not getting enough time to get into the flow, but it seems like Painter shortened his leash with Furst.

That doesn’t actually surprise me. He was low man on the totem pole behind Edey, TKR, and Furst and painter pretty much limiting it to an 8 man rotation a good portion of the season. It seems at times Painter has said positive things about him. We’re likely to hear some commentary on him and maybe see him play starting June 24th - July 2nd coming from the Greece trip he and Heidi are going on.
that's the thing. He's a 7'2 guy who can move, gets up/down the floor, has good feet, has a functionally good looking stroke. Not many teams have that option.
I hope Painter finds time for him, if for nothing else, to lean on another teams big, clog the lane if we're getting beat on the perimeter.

I remember Corny getting a couple of really odd starting lineup shots. He looked the part getting off the bus but the game was too fast for him.

Dove was a 6'4 high school center that Keady tried to turn into some sort of small forward/big guard.

Great athlete and good defender, but man, no handles and an ugly, ugly shot.
Couldn’t shoot a lick. Keady literally told him not to shoot (roommate was with athletics department). But he sure could jump!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT